AmberPOS Reviews

by Pacific Amber Technologies

• Overall
    4.1 /5
  • Customer Service Software

About AmberPOS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States.

Learn more about AmberPOS

Daniel S.
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2012

Comments: We are a small rapidly growing specialty garden store. We have used a few different POS systems since opening, about 6 years ago. All of the systems we worked with in the past had too many functionality issues for us to keep using their software for very long. Since switching to Amber POS almost 2 years ago, our system has become much more streamlined and much easier to use. We have a warehouse that we use for excess product and bulky item storage. Amber POS can accurately track ALL of our inventory in both locations. When we expand to more store locations, we can add an infinite number of additional stores, using all the existing information. No need to retype anything in! All business information is now kept in one place. It's very easy to find any information needed from product information, vendor information, customer information, to all sales history & reports. The staff at Pacific Amber has been a blessing for our business. They are always ready to help with any issues that may come up. They usually answer the phone on the first call, but if I have to leave a message, I get called back quickly. Try that with Quick books and see how you feel endlessly waiting for help that doesn’t come. We had some issues setting up our old accounting program on new computers we bought. The staff at Pacific Amber even helped us install software from another company! I'm not saying that they are supposed to or expected to, but service like that is one of the many reasons that I am extremely happy with their software and support. They care and it shows. They also got our new website up and running! They advised us which shopping cart software to use, and then integrated it to the Point Of Sale. Now we can upload, update, edit, add and remove products from our online store right from the POS window! When we sell an item online, the transaction can be downloaded into the POS without having to retype any information! I'm sure you can see how much time this can save! We can even sell on eBay though our website and not have to retype in ANY information; it all gets downloaded correctly right into the POS. All in all, this is a great system and I am very happy with it and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a solid POS system, from a single store with a small inventory, up to large retail companies with dozens of stores and thousands of products. This software can handle whatever you need it too.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2012
Lisa M.
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Amber is an update from an old POS system and it now allows me to couple inventory with a web site"

Comments: Would love to be able to have a convenient suggestion box to enter suggestions for improvement - and a newsletter emailed or on program to access letting us know what changes made and what changes you are working on to improve the program.

Pros: After a bit of a learning period since I was not used to working with spreadsheets, I found it easy to work with. After two years I am still finding out features that I find useful. Have also found tech support friendly and helpful. Integration with Big Commerce added additional challenges that Amber seems to be trying to deal with .

Cons: Tech support feedback not 100%. Had sent a few questions that did not get answered. Would really like to have an emailed newsletter announcing what improvements and changes have been made to the program. Found out that I needed to log onto a special site that had that information after being with Amber for a few years. Although POS program seems non geek friendly this information is aimed at the techs.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Penny W.
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2017

"Endless flexibility and functionality. Great service."

Pros: I love that the system is easy to customize and flexible. The Amber staff is always available and willing to help, and have helped me craft the system to work exactly how we need it to work for the unique needs my retail store has. They are able to remote into our computer and help us create new features or troubleshoot problems in real time.

Cons: I would normally call it a con that I have to sometimes leave a voicemail, but honestly, it's faster than going through 20 different prompts before I can reach a live person. When I do leave a message they call back right away. There are no voice prompts. It's either a live person straight away or a quick call back. And the support staff is a small team, so you can easily speak to the same person every time you call, and they know our account when we call, AND they know and understand their product, which is more than I can say for 90% of the technology vendors I normally have to deal with!

• Reviewed on 05/12/2017
Katie C.
Furniture
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2014

"New furniture and accessories store"

Pros: The staff has been very helpful in directing us with how to set up the system for our use. We really like the intuitiveness of the main screen, and the system itself is easy to use once you have had one or two training sessions. The KnowledgeBase is a great tool to have, but it could have better information behind it.

Cons: The interface with credit card processing is much more difficult than it should be. It would be in Amber's clients' best interests if Amber would sell the credit card swiping system that is compatible with the system. I had to spend far too much time chasing details around between my credit card processing group (Chase PaymenTech - not a small unkown) and Amber. This part should be seamless for the customer. Amber is not an inexpensive system (to purchase, as well as the monthly licensing fees), which makes this more annoying to experience. There are far too many options in the Amber online store that lead to dead ends! If you don't sell it, don't have the option available.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2014
Alice F.
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Point of Sale decision"

Comments: I had too many unknown transactions - as in clients now everyone goes in the system - easier to find transactions if old payment type is not know.

Pros: Fantastic customer service. Has lots of features for the expense.

Cons: Wish I could integrate this with a booking scheduler. I have a client database that we use to sent up courses and customer service. We have to manually transfer payment to that client database.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Lawrence A.
Business Center Manager
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2019

"Helpful Customer Service"

Pros: One thing i admire about AmberPOS is their customer service which is very helpful and friendly. They responded and resolved issues when there are bugs on the system.

Cons: There are occasionally bugs on the system but Amber resolves and fixes the issue right away. I commend them for that!

• Reviewed on 29/01/2019
Sylvia W.
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2015

"Affordable, versatile, easy to use, Microsoft-based, top-notch product"

Pros: It's easy to use, has logical concepts, is user-friendly, and is very affordable compared to other systems. The vendor has been excellent with training and followup questions. We made the right decision going with AmberPOS.

Cons: I would like to have had a downloadable manual of instructions instead of having to go to a website to have questions answered on what steps are needed to carry out various functions.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2015
Dana J.
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2014

"Great product with excellent customer support"

Pros: The product is very versatile and can be customized to meet just about any store's needs. The customer support is very prompt and helpful (and the monthly service fee is very reasonable).

Cons: Their customer support hours of operation do not fully meet our needs. We are on the east coast, and Amber's customer support is based on the west coast, so their customer support is not available to us in the morning.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2014
Lawren R.
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2014

"Wouldn't recommend Amber POS"

Pros: Amber POS is fairly intuitive and easy to learn for the basics.

Cons: There are several major bugs in the software, which the staff refuses to fix, as well as some that took months to get them to fix. This software has cost my clients major admin time working around its problems. We've used this system for two years and are very unhappy with it. Historical data almost never runs correctly, and the techs at Pacific Amber seem to have no concept of how data is used for accounting (i.e. balance sheet accounts which have a point-in-time balance vs. income statement accounts which have a date range).

• Reviewed on 25/09/2014
Emily S.
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2013

Comments: Though we have a few occasional hiccups (mostly in integrating with our online sales) overall Amber is a great system. The tech support team is on the ball, and the program itself is great for multi- or single-store use. It's aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, and the many (customizable) reports make it easy to get the exact sales data needed. We are very pleased we chose Amber and it's definitely improved the way we do business.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2013
Alice F.
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2018

"Saved by bacon, my other POS was failing and team was able to step up to the challenge."

Comments: Great support.

Pros: It makes sense and once you have the time to explore all the options I look forward to using it more. Once my inventory is correct I am looking to keep it up to date. I like the updates.

Cons: Have not found any colour options for the screen. Have a tough time seeing in black and screen all the time. My other POS had some colour on the page - blue and another system I use - DogBizPro has multiple colour options. Need colour.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2018
Chris C.
  • Reviewed on 02/06/2015

"AmberPOS is a first rate point of sale system"

Pros: Met my needs with a customizable CRM for client management and options for customization

Cons: Steep learning curve at the register. This is the least customizable part and the number of options can be confusing

• Reviewed on 02/06/2015
Jan R.
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2014

"AmberPOS review"

Pros: I like the ease of tracking sales and inventory.

Cons: Completing purchase orders was complicated. We were led to believe that it was accessible from remote location.

• Reviewed on 16/09/2014
Nathan B.
Automotive
    1.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2014

"If you are beyond a basic shop, move on!"

Pros: They were quick to refund our money when the product was not a good fit for us.

Cons: It's very limited, and you have no control. They lock down all admin tools and require you to call them for changes. If you do not pay the monthly support fee, it will cost you every time you call.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2014
Wayne G.
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2014

"A robust POS for small businesses"

Pros: They are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).

Cons: As a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though. First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue. Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying. Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful. The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule. It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!

• Reviewed on 17/10/2014
Genevieve E.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2014

"We have been very happy with Amber POS"

Pros: The reporting feature is awesome! We can provide all the relevant information our bookkeeper needs quickly and easily. Our training technician was extremely helpful and gave us a very useful orientation. We also really like the integration with a second back room computer, freeing up the POS for sales while inputting new inventory.

Cons: The software was a bit overwhelming as first. It would be ideal if there was a simplified version available for smaller businesses that could be unlocked and expanded as needed. Free technical support should be appreciated. The support subscription is expensive and the cancellation fee is disappointing.

by N/A on 24/10/2014

Our technical support fees are some of the most affordable in the industry at just $29/m per system, which covers our customers for unlimited technical support and includes ongoing software upgrades at no extra charge. While most software manufacturers force you to re-purchase a new version of the software every few years, our customers enjoy the benefit of getting all updates included for FREE with our support & updates subscription. Not only does this mean they don't have to incur additional major costs every few years, it also means they are always getting the most up-to-date version of our system, and their staff can always contact us for unlimited support.

We do not charge a cancellation fee for the monthly support subscription. However, if a customer decides to opt-out of our monthly support and software updates program for an extended period of time, and for example if two years later they are running an older, out-of-date version of our software because of that decision, we do charge a small re-activation fee to complete all the necessary updates on their systems. However there is never any fee to cancel our support program.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2014
Luke B.
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2014

"Great Investment"

Pros: Amber is the most user-friendly POS software I have come across. It is very easy to use, and the basics can be learned and navigated through almost without any experience. The vendor is also great. The support I have received has been great from the Amber technicians. They respond very quickly to any questions and concerns you have regarding how to use different functions or to correct mistakes. They are quick to take control and show you while guiding you over the phone through the steps of how to accomplish what it is that you would like to do.

Cons: Not having 24-7 customer support. Due to not having a round the clock support for weekends and other times, there are times when you cannot get assistance when you want it. Being on a different timezone also interferes with scheduling times for instructions and online help.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2014
Jacob A.
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2012

Comments: Totally Awesome Goods is a new retail brand with the ultimate goal of having a few stores and a robust website. It was important for me, right from the start, to use a POS system that can be integrated with my website and can handle more than one location. I was just about set to go with another POS system, when Software Advice recommended the AmberPOS. I spoke to Ashley at AmberPOS who was very helpful, patient and supportive throughout the process. The POS system is very easy to use, and mostly very intuitive. Since there is a lot of functionality, I am still learning all that it can do. I was up and running very quickly. The implementation was very easy, without any issues. The technician, Pavel, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Support in general has been very good. The only major issue I have had with AmberPOS was its integration with the merchant services account. I needed to do it through a YESpay gateway, and I was not aware that was the case until a couple of weeks before the store was to open. I felt this could have been better explained up front. As a result, I don't have that integrated with my POS system. Other than that, I am thus far happy with the decision.

• Reviewed on 17/04/2012
Abraham S.
Compliance Officer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company"

Comments: I utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago

Pros: The software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.

Cons: Like most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Suzanne V.
HR Coordinator
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2016

"Useful POS that allows good reporting"

Comments: Ambur is an intuitive POS system that allows you to track inventory, and run reports easily.

Pros: Track inventory, ability to apply discounts at will, intuitive.

Cons: I'd love if ambur allowed reporting on applying discounts and coupons. Their customer service has also seriously lacked during this last year. I'd also love if they put together a closed loop gift card service that is integrated.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2016
Jan L.
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2012

Comments: My partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price. We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2012
Stephen M.
IT Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2018

"Poor company"

Comments: Stay away

Pros: Pros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.

Cons: They want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!

• Reviewed on 19/11/2018
Meg S.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2015

"Great value for the price"

Pros: It is easy to use and intuitive. Support is great (front end sales, telephone IT support, online manual is pretty good).

Cons: Everything so far has been good. We have only been on the system for a month.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2015
Justin P.
  • Reviewed on 09/11/2011

Comments: I run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software. Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars. They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up. As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet. Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly. I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!

• Reviewed on 09/11/2011
Matthew D.
General Manager
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/08/2020

"Excellent POS option that does not break the wallet"

Comments: From the start, the AmberPOS Team has walked us through setup to some minor issues we have had. The fact that they responded with expedience during a 4th of July weekend speaks volumes! The team support has truly been wonderful! Easy program that can be navigated by younger staff, and flexibility of sales ability work very well. Considering that we are a ticket booth, snack bar, and retail store, this program covers all bases for us!

Pros: Scalability and user friendly features allow this to remain small but give the ability to increase as the business grows.

Cons: Due to our location, internet is a little slow. Although this is not a cloud based POS, it still requires updates that can bog down our internet. This is NOT an issue with the software, it is an in-house issue.

• Reviewed on 03/08/2020