Campaign Monitor Reviews

by Campaign Monitor

• Overall
    4.6/5
    4.6/5

About Campaign Monitor

Campaign Monitor is an email marketing tool that enables anyone to send beautiful, targeted, and effective email campaigns.

Learn more about Campaign Monitor

Brant C.
Web Developer
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"I love Campaign Monitor"

Pros: I am a web developer and their API is fantastic to use. It is easy and straightforward.

Cons: Some things within their GUI are hard to find and some extra logging features for developers would be handy.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Digital Marketing Executive
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2019

"We've tried many, and this seems to lead the pack."

Comments: Overall, the best email marketing solution my team has worked with in the last year. Fair value for money i must say too.

Pros: - Great suggestive features such as email-body formatting tips - Nice delivery and send-out time - Extensive scenario handling for segmentations and optional blocks - Great responsiveness of website across multiple form factors on devices(mobile, tablet, etc)

Cons: - Some features and configurations can be a bit hard to figure out without a fairly technical background - Email builder templates felt a bit restrictive in terms of styling and formatting options

• Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Marketing Manager
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/05/2020

"Excellent Email Tool for small business"

Comments: Campaign Monitor allowed us to send our monthly newsletter with ease. This brought in an abundance of new business for the company and helped to grow revenue.

Pros: Campaign Monitor is simple to use and allows any business to run marketing campaigns to their audiences. The drag and drop builder is excellent.

Cons: Campaign Monitor doesn't have a CRM, so you'll need to import your lists for every send or integrate with a something like Zoho, HubSpot or Salesforce.

• Reviewed on 06/05/2020
Co-Founder
Individual & Family Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/12/2019

"Do not recommend. Better Platforms for the price."

Comments: There are many platforms out there at a much lower cost that offer more robust features and functionality and that can be hooked up to Salesforce in a way that might not be as seamless but would be worth it.

Pros: It is fairly easy to use and integrates with Salesforce, which is why we chose it over Pardot when making an initial selection.

Cons: There are many limitations, from design to ability to customize the registration confirmation message (no modal???). Also, no way to tell the difference between hard bounces, which makes it impossible to automate deactivation of contacts in Salesforce.

• Reviewed on 22/12/2019
Ryan E.
Network Administrator
Warehousing, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2020

"Selling e-Mail Marketing"

Comments: Support has been great when needed. Our emails are going out without being blocked and we are getting great information back on tracking for each email campaign we setup.

Pros: Not only is this platform very easy to use to create and build email newsletters and support emails it gives you the ability to white label and brand the software to sell as a service to your current clients. Adding revenue to support your sales and marketing clients through email marketing.

Cons: The template designer which is very easy to use and has quality templates is lacking in the customization aspect the designs are. How ever you can code and upload your own email designs.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2020
James D.
Head Of Design
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2019

"Great for agencies"

Pros: We used Campaign Monitor for many years with multiple clients and it worked really well. Segmentation of clients was easy and setting new ones up was all self-initiated​, no need to contact support. List management​ was a breeze as well as segmentation. Campaign creation was also easy, we never used the drag and drop editor​ as we crated bespoke HTML emails ourselves.

Cons: The reason why we chose to move away from CM was the segmentation was slightly limiting for us. We basically needed to segment based on relative dates, i.e from now until 3 months ago. This could only be achieved by entering exact dates, which you would need to change on a​ daily basis if using for automation purposes. If that doesn't bother you I would recommend using CM.

• Reviewed on 12/08/2019
Asheton F.
Marketing Team Lead
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Nice Email Automation Tool"

Comments: It was a good platform for email marketing, but wasn't a CRM solution.

Pros: I like how easy it was to set up email automation campaigns. We had a custom template and I thought Campaign Monitor worked pretty well with it. Organizing and segmenting our lists was also a breeze.

Cons: The main reason we left and switched to Hubspot was because Hubspot was an all-in-one CRM tool that connected to many of our other programs that we use.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
Jon H.
E-Commerce Manager
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/10/2019

"Campaign Monitor "

Comments: This like many other Email companies can be as successful​ as you want if you are willing to put the time and effort into it. The great thing with this is the Price is very competitive and it offers a bit more than the others.

Pros: Campaign Monitor recently bought Conversio Emails. The price is very competitive for all the things it offers. Email campaigns, reviews, pop-ups, newsletters​, Abandon Cart functions. I have sent out multiple individual newsletters and abandon carts with success rates.

Cons: The Workflow function on the site was a little hard to set up and its why I do not send more out. When I turned it on it sent an email to every single person on my list.... when I just wanted it to send one to the new subscribers from that time forward.

• Reviewed on 02/10/2019
Robert D.
Co-founder
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/01/2020

"Gets the Job Done"

Comments: Overall I'd recommend Campaign Monitor, especially if you're in a rush.

Pros: We enjoyed using Campaign Monitor after switching from MailChimp. We were able to get up and running, fast.

Cons: We disliked that the platform seemed to be split between different names. Sometimes the login would redirect us to another website which was a bit weird.

• Reviewed on 06/01/2020
Allison B.
Assistant Director, Digital Marketing and Data Strategies
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/12/2019

"Campaign Monitor"

Comments: We purchased Campaign Monitor to send personalized, relevant, and timely emails to our audience. Our contacts at CM worked hard to ensure that this was the right fit for us and our needs.

Pros: Campaign Monitor has a lot of personalization options (conditional text, incorporating multiple data sources) that put you in control of your program.

Cons: Because we were a smaller client for CM, but had a lot of security and legal requirements, our sales process took quite a while (around six months).

• Reviewed on 03/12/2019
Jordan R.
System Engineer
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2019

"Quality and evolution in mail marketing. "

Comments: Campaign Monitor is a tool that works very well, has excellent ideas and very decent templates. It has helped us improve and increase our customers by mail, its user interface is easily customizable. It is easy to navigate without many complications, manages to satisfy and inform customers about the benefits of the company. It has also allowed us to obtain data collection with great ease through reports. It has been very helpful in our organization and is a platform that offers good design tools in the construction of emails based on our projects. I always got a positive response and also increased product sales. It has all the high quality features you need for your business, this is really important for time efficiency, and Campaign Monitor is perfect.

Pros: Campaign Monitor allows me to create, send, manage and track emails with ease. It has a complete and receptive functionality that facilitates automation, is solid and easy to use with space to grow and improve. It also has high delivery capacity and excellent compatibility with mobile devices and computers. It basically holds my hand every step of the way and makes it easy for you to insert images, links, text, calls to action buttons and more into your templates.

Cons: Its price is not so competitive for companies or small organizations that are starting their marketing business.

• Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Abbas H.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2017

"Best email marketing and automation solution i've used so far!"

Pros: We've used other email marketing tools for different reasons over the years, but still always came back to read Campaign Monitor's excellent email marketing advice on their blogs and articles about best practices. Finally took the plunge a year ago and moved all our subscribers over. No regrets whatsoever! Just the amazing email editor and template manager is enough to make me leave everything else and use Campaign Monitor. The extensive segmentation tools, super clear and well-formed APIs to connect with our CRM and outstanding customer journey setup is above and beyond what i've seen from other tools in the market. Oh and their brilliant responsive all-platform templates!! Also, when they say 'award-winning' and round the clock support / success teams, they mean it! Definitely and whole-heartedly recommended!

Cons: I'm nit-picking, but how Campaign Monitor counts subscribers (in order to bill us) is different from some of the other tools out there. For e.g. if the same subscriber is in two mailing lists, it counts as two for billing purposes. If you have many lists, it tends to balloon your billing subscription out a bit.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2017
Douglas H.
Consultant
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2016

"Great Product, Great Support, Definitely Better than Others We have Tried"

Comments: After over twelve hours attempting to log on, pay for, and conduct a REPEAT newsletter/emailout with one of its competitors, GetResponse, I had to look elsewhere, because their system was rejecting our email list, because it "looked" to GetResponse's totalitarian software as "very similar to another list on its server"---OF COURSE IT LOOKED SIMILAR---We had used their service twice in the past year---with admittedly a few "hiccups", but we had got those emails out. Their service refused to let us log in, or pay for, or reactivate our old account, so we had to create a new one---and that's likely one factor that led to the total failure of their organization to provide the slightest bit of genuine service to us yesterday. Shortly before midnight, I tried competitor "RedCappi", but after I edited an outgoing email address, it looked as if they might delay sending the test emails, so while waiting to see how long that delay might be, I set up a "Campaign Monitor" account, and proceeded with the same process (our newsletter html was "ready to go"---having been produced by the IT guru at our factory overseas). Despite a good half-hour lead, the RedCappi test emailouts took over an hour and a half to arrive, versus maybe less than a minute with Campaign Monitor. I was sold---uploaded all 4800 or so email addresses to Campaign Monitor without a hitch, and Campaign Monitor clearly pointed out a few dozen "oops" emails I had mis-formatted, and I was able to fix all and add them back into the emailout effortlessly. When I wanted to send to the total list, instead of to four test email addresses, I found a helpful FAQ on the Campaign Monitor site which clearly walked me through how to resend to new subscribers---a vast difference from having to "Chat" on three separate occasions with the GetResponse team to help me with their less-user-friendly system (EVEN THOUGH I HAD USED GetResponse TWICE PREVIOUSLY)!

Pros: Hard question to answer---Sorry, I have to say "EVERYTHING"! Worked well, priced me in cheaper local currency, fast sendout, very helpful tips on mis-formatted emails, phenomenal customer support, no login or password struggles...the list goes on (a double-entendre).

Cons: Unsubscribe "Tag" added at the bottom of our emails was in a different font from the bottom portion of our emailout/newsletter---a minor point.

• Reviewed on 09/09/2016
Saad J.
Digital Marketing Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2017

"This is your best option if you don't have a good CRM or Marketing Automation (Premier Plan user)"

Comments: Non-Profit Discount, Volume Discount, Drip Automation, WYSIWYG editor (removing designer/developer dependency), Web Form Integration

Pros: You get a:
> WYSIWYG email editor (making responsive email design & development a piece of cake).
> Conditional email blocks based on list segmentation or conditions.
> Easy to setup email drips to your list, based on when they joined, segmentation rules or custom conditions
> User management to limit access to the lists and control actual email deployment
> Ability to run unlimited basic Spam Filter, Firewall and Email Client tests
> New reporting tab makes monitoring email performance much easier

Cons: The transnational emails are great for basic requirements. Anything more needs custom development and support. I was disappointed when I found there's no way to limit Transactional Emails to run on specific lists out of the box.

• Reviewed on 27/07/2017
Christopher G.
Internet, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2017

"It just works !"

Pros: Clear, clutter-free interface with the right tools for the job, everything is made to concentrate on your emailmarketing objectives and not how to use the tool :)
I've been using CM for close to 10 years and have witnessed their progressive and intelligent implementations : nothing is added that you won't *really* need and once it's added it's especially intuitive.
Add to that Campaign Monitor's daily tips, blog posts, ressources and especially their outstanding client support : you just can't go wrong.

Cons: Hard to fin anything really, maybe certain ways of implementing behavioral segments but then again maybe it's my Marketing objectives that aren't clear enough...

• Reviewed on 30/06/2017
Shilpa S.
Marketing Strategist
Internet, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2019

"A product well thought through "

Comments: I have been using CampaignMonitor for almost 4 years now. I love the tool more than MailChimp and Constant Contact. I

Pros: *Allows to send a test mail and check personalization using real examples from your contact list.
*You can also set up email automation with the tool.
*The HTML upload and rendering across devices is on point. Very well made product.
* Does not force users to use bulky footers that promotes itself unlike Constant Contact

Cons: I was billed extra and forced to use the plan I upgraded to for an entire month without being prompted that my list size had exceeded a certain number. While I understand it makes sense for your revenue it is not a very good customer experience.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2019
Alex K.
Marketing Consultant
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2020

"Campaign Monitor is the best email marketing platform... period!"

Comments: My over experience has been awesome! Once you go with CM you can't go back to any other platform because it feels and looks like a joke compared to it.

Pros: I like how professional the website layout and features are. I feel that other platforms are too simplified and have a cheap feeling to them. Campaign monitor cares about the look and feel, as well as the performance of their platform. The way contacts/subscribers/lists are managed is one of my favorite features. The whole platform is intuitive in nature.

Cons: I have 0 complaints about this platform. I do however wish there were more pre-made layouts to choose from, even though the ones available are so awesome and easy to customize.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2020
Gareth N.
Web Developer
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2020

"Rock solid"

Comments: We use Campaign Monitor to keep track of lists on course registrations. We've had the same code running for years and have never run into issues. The API is very stable and after 5 years we haven't had any issues, no breaking changes or anything related to it. I'm very happy with the services provided.

Pros: I liked the documentation, it's nice and easy to read as well as follow. Integrating with their API was also easy, I had no issues with that and works well. The responses are great and errors that you do get are easy to understand and resolve.

Cons: I can't fault Campaign Monitor on anything regarding our use case, it has fulfilled our desired use cases.

• Reviewed on 05/02/2020
Jim C.
Retail
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2015

"Campaign Monitor"

Comments: If you are using emails to communicate with customers you really can do a much better job with a service like Campaign Monitor. You can create and store templates, get instant reports on opens and clicks, and other data. They have very few glitches and when it happens they fix them right away. Customer service is better than excellent.

Pros: As mentioned, I would give their customer service a +++. I am a very small user. I'm sure they have much more important clients. But that's not how they treat me when I have a need. They are right on top of things and and I believe they treat me the same as a major user. They also send periodic "lessons" on how to improve email content and they are worth reading. Embedding photos/images is a breeze and you get quality true to that of the original image.true

Cons: If you are a savvy, tech-smart user you can navigate and use the service with few problems. If you are a 3/5 like me, it is sometimes a challenge to get around. After a while you can learn it, but the initial phases can be daunting. They might consider creating a glossary for some of the technical terms. There are a few options I wish they would incorporate in their text capabilities.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2015
Stacy G.
Website design and developer, social media strategist
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2018

"Campaign Monitor"

Comments: Campaign monitor is great for small business' who are not much on the technical side, it's easy to use and easy to explain to your clients.
It also has high deliverability and excellent compatibility with mobile and computer. The pricing also differs which is great if you have a range of clients from small to medium to large business'.

Pros: Campaign monitor is clean and modern and because of it's designed, it's very easy to use and understand. You also have a range of templates to choose from. This is best if you are not very technical and find it easy to use a drop and drag function. They also give you access to your statistics and you can export your database if you need to upload it to another service. They also continuously grow their services and have now added automation, insights and transactional emails. You can also design your own email using code and upload the code as a template to Campaign Monitor

Cons: You pay for everytime you send out a batch of emails where some email marketing services are free. The customer service takes a while to get back to you. Sometimes the code you upload won't look as good when its embed into Campaign monitor, Sometimes the functionality of the code goes off. The email campiagn you send out can look better on chrome than safari

• Reviewed on 24/08/2018
Nicki S.
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2016

"A great product that keeps evolving"

Comments: I've been using Campaign Monitor for several years to send email campaigns for my clients, mostly small to medium-sized nonprofits and civic organizations. I love that it's designer-oriented - you can create your own custom templates or use theirs. They've introduced (and then significantly improved) flexible templates that perform very well responsively. They also take their sender reputation very seriously; when one of my clients inadvertently sent an email to an old list and ended up with too high a percentage of spam reports and unsubscribes, the Campaign Monitor support team was very helpful in working with me to address the issues.

Pros: Responsive design; clean, contemporary, flexible templates; handles images well; great reporting; prompt, helpful, friendly customer service; competitive pricing; agency discount

Cons: Honestly can't think of any at the moment.

• Reviewed on 10/08/2016
Clare D.
Marketing Executive
Insurance, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Email campaigns made simple"

Comments: Campaign monitor is my favourite email campaign tool and I will continue to use it for its simple, clean designs and service.

Pros: Campaign Monitor makes it really easy to set up and deliver email campaigns and analyse the results of each campaign. The templates are brilliant for creating quality emails which look professional and clean all you need to do is put your content in. Campaign Monitor basically holds your hand every step of the way and make it easy for you to insert pictures, links, text, call to action buttons and more into your templates.

Cons: The biggest problem that I've been having lately is trying to send a preview email to myself...it never seems to work on a Friday! It can be really frustrating if I have something that I need to get done that day and I can preview it in my own inbox first. It seems to work every other day of the week though.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Digital Content Specialist
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2019

"Great mid-level email marketing tool"

Pros: Very easy to set up triggers and actions. You can get going in Campaign Monitor very quickly. Setting up email sequences based on complex user activities is a breeze. The live reporting feature...with a globe pinpointing exactly where the recipients of your email are opening your email...is super cool and valuable from a geo-marketing point of view. Basic personalization and transactional capabilities are decent as well.

Cons: The support was not the best. Hit and miss. Sometimes they answered questions/resolved issues in almost real-time...but other times it can take them up to 48 hours to get back to you.

• Reviewed on 07/05/2019
Delivery Manager
Design, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/10/2018

"Solid, reliable emailing"

Comments: We manage multiple clients and their emailing needs from within our account, as well as sending our own emails. We use the template builder and custom html, and find that both work well.

Pros: Campaign Monitor is a safe pair of hands when it comes to emailing. I find the list management (and related tasks such as keeping on top of unsubscribes) easier and better than competing softwares. The ability to manage clients' accounts and take a cut of fees also works well for us. Reporting is also clear and simple.

Cons: The template builder, whilst still very good, could do with some extra thought to enhance it further and bring in line with modern email capabilities. I would love to see more responsiveness, more font choices etc. Also, the interface as a whole is beginning to feel a little dated, and I would be interested to see that given a refresh.

• Reviewed on 26/10/2018
Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2018

"Great product for small biz, but limited capabilities "

Comments: I can quickly build one template and create different versions of it. Or, I can make duplicates of an existing email, and make any edits I want. It's very easy to use for basic email creation and deployment.

Pros: There are a dozens of templates to choose from, or you can build your own campaign. Easy to get started, easy to set up deployments.

Cons: I've never been able to upload prebuilt html into the platform. Supposedly you can, but we had a designer, and two managers all sitting around the computer for nearly an hour trying to figure it out to no avail. And a more robust search feature would be great - like the ability to search by subject line or key word.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2018