• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.2 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.2 /5

About HotSchedules

Transform your scheduling process with the industry's most widely adopted forecasting, scheduling and communications tool.

Learn more about HotSchedules

Darla C.
Owner, Operating Manager
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

"hotschedules review"

Comments: It's got so many options - none exactly what I need - that it is almost too cumbersome. I would like more flexibility to create template shifts and place them on days as needed, with it being ok that some days there are blank shifts left over. Rather than now, when if I make a template and want a day to be scheduled lightly, it tells the staff there's a house shift open. The template feature is practically more work than just starting from scratch each week. I hate entering the times of a shift and having it immediately autocorrect to the last half hour. For example if I want a shift to start at 1:30PM and end at 10:30PM, I have to type 1:30, click off and it will change it to 1:00, click back on to get to 1:30, and repeat to get the end time to read 10:30 instead of 10, then repeat to get PM instead of AM. I'd also like to not have to redo the schedule report generator so that it's easier to read every week, for the printed schedule we keep in the shop. All those outlines, yikes! What I do like is the messaging/staff communication parts. Requests off are clear and easy, same with shift swapping. I like being able to create blackout days for no requests off, and I like that I can easily see who wants off when and when the RO was made.

Pros: Requests off, availability, blackout dates, staff communication sections. The app works great for everyone.

Cons: No ease of use when making the schedule - autocorrecting number entries constantly, schedule templates aren't what I need, schedule report is difficult to read.

by HotSchedules on 06/02/2017

Hi Darla!

Thank you for reaching out and providing feedback for us. We're sorry you're having a hard time navigating the scheduling templates. These articles may be of use to you in better explaining the process of scheduling using custom and blank templates and auto-scheduling!

If you are still having issues, please contact customer care for assistance!

Edward Z.
Food & Beverages, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/06/2020

"Hot for HotSchedules"

Comments: Over all hot schedules is a solid platform that is definitely beneficial to a smooth running operation as far as scheduling and management communication

Pros: Hot schedules makes scheduling different departments and coordinating everybody extremely easy. The platforms are easy to understand and can be accessed by anyone given authority to use the system.

Cons: The system allows for people to request for time off and to make comments. One of the only downsides of this product was that employees talked last to management about scheduling and tried to do literally all of it through hot schedules which sometimes lead to some conflict Over all hot schedules is a solid platform that is definitely beneficial to a smooth running operation as far as scheduling and management communication goes

• Reviewed on 16/06/2020
Greg L.
Restaurant Service Manager
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2017

"This software is easy to use and a great way to communicate."

Comments: The largest benefit was time management. I have a lot more time to do other things that improve our guest's experience, which is the bottom line of my job.

Pros: The communication side of it is great. I have less meetings now that I can send out mass messages. The scheduler itself is top notch. I can move shifts around quickly using the quick keys and copying schedules is a snap. Having the freedom to do my schedule anywhere and being able to approve or deny schedule changes from my phone makes those decisions more informed. We use it to document all incidents good and bad on employees, so when an evaluation comes around you have all that information at your fingertips. It makes a great reservation scheduler. The roster report is the first thing I print out in the mornings to make sure everyone is here and where they are supposed to be and if they are not I have all the phone numbers on that sheet. The fact that it gives you the number of hours for everyone helps with creating budgets for the week.

Cons: My biggest complaint is that part of the expense for the is put on the employee. I know it's very little but some employees don't have a bank account or credit card and have trouble making the purchase. It seems to me that the revenue generated by that could be built into the cost of the software on the employer side.

• Reviewed on 08/08/2017
Joseph W.
Operating Partner/ owner
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2017

"One of the owners for Sedona Taphouse"

Comments: I liked the old version better where you could click the roster button while writing a schedule and see a snap shot of that day. Everyone I know can not figure out why you got rid of that. Also I have been asking for years that you make it where we can set a max amount of request per day. Like 3 request off on monday, 4 on tuesday, 2 on sunday etc... so if I could allow 2 request off on sunday. When the 3rd person went to request off it would give them a pop up that would need to be approved by a manager.

Pros: Reporting and ease to swap shift

Cons: No way to set request off parameters by the day. Schedule writing is harder with the new version

by HotSchedules on 16/02/2017

Joseph,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback, we really appreciate it! We apologize for the less than exceptional ease of use with our new interface.

We value any and all feedback to better improve our products-we have a community request page where you can submit your thoughts and insights directly to our Customer Support team. Thanks for being a part of our community!

Justine B.
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2017

"everything in one place"

Comments: i like that i can easily access the schedules and requests off in one place. I am not a fan that they took away the option to easily see what date someone made the request though. that was a feature i used often.

Pros: easy to use, keeps your organized, accessible from anywhere

Cons: the new scheduler takes longer to enter, and they took away the option to hover over a request off and see the reason and date requested. please bring back!

by HotSchedules on 16/02/2017

Justine,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it! We value any and all feedback to influence the updates we make to our product in the future. We have a community request forum where you can voice your thoughts to our Customer Support team!

Alexa G.
Accounts Payable
501-1,000 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2018

"HotSchedules is a great way to keep track of your work week!"

Comments: I used HotSchedules for two years while serving and loved the idea where you can swap, add and release shifts if desired.

Pros: I like that you can see your schedule for the week laid out in one spreadsheet. I also like that it gives you the option to do group messages with all of your coworkers and swap shifts if needed. This software offers a lot for your work scheduling and helps you stay organized and be flexible when you need to be.

Cons: I do not like that you have to pay for the app. I also do not like how hard it is to find someone's contact on the app and then be able to copy something like an email address or phone number. I wish HotSchedules also had a better notifications system in place.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2018
James B.
Owner Operator
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Simple enough to use for great scheduling"

Comments: I love to use Hotschedules to make up the schedule a few weeks in advance it’s very easy to check and see who needs what days off and fairly easy to go online and switch shifts with someone that even notifies the manager and they must approve
This software is super easy to set up and use and I would recommend this to anyone looking for help with scheduling

Pros: First let me start off by saying I have used hotschedules now for years I first started off using it when I worked in restaurants as a server. It was the only way you could know when you work and request time off. Now that I have my own buisness I still use Hotschedules because of how much I like it.
It’s super easy to log on from anywhere and check the schedule adjust the schedule look at upcoming shifts as well as pull up who wants when off for when your making the schedule

Cons: The thing I liked least about Hotschedules is the fact that most the time to download the app on your phone there is a fee and you can’t download the app without paying it.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Carrie W.
Sales and Catering Coordinator
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/06/2019

"HotSchedules"

Comments: I would recommend Hot Schedules to any employer that has a lot of employees they are writing schedules for.

Pros: I liked how much easier it made my job. No longer was I receiving phones calls from employees wanting to switch shifts and then having the other employee call and verify that they were picking up the shift. The request was made online and all I had to do was approve. It also helped greatly with accountability since it recorded who was working what shift and when.

Cons: It wasn't an easy program to learn how to use. I struggled with learning all of its functionalities which made schedule writing very stressful until I figured it out.

• Reviewed on 06/06/2019
Lisa T.
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2017

"Easy, a word usually not used in the Restaurant Biz."

Comments: I have been using Hot Schedules for several years now, and I have to say it always pleases! In the service industry, the word "easy" is not usually thrown around. As a FOH manager, and a former FOH staff member Hot Schedules has always been super easy to use and super helpful! Also, implementing it into the restaurant was quick, easy, and the most affordable. The Hot Schedules team is always around to provide great customer service as well! If you are in the market for a new scheduling, labor tracking, (among many other things) service. I would for sure go with Hot Schedules!

Lisa,

Thank you so much for the great review! We love to serve those who serve and are happy to help your business run more efficiently. Thank you for being a part of our community.

Rick P.
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2018

"Takes too long to sync new employees from Aloha."

Comments: Making scheduling a less of an headache. Being able to focus on other aspects of managing my restaurant.

Pros: Makes scheduling easier. I've never had an issues when it comes to scheduling with HS. It's a great platform especially when you operate a high volume restaurant. Hotschedules has allowed me to focus on other aspects of managing my restaurant. Scheduling literally takes about 15 minutes every week. Employees past and present have also had positive things to say about hot-schedules. Employees like the fact that you can download the app and be able to see any updates made to the schedule. Go-Hire has also been a great tool for my company. Onboarding new employees is made so much easier now with eliminating paper appplications and documents. Go hire easily let's you conduct background checks on new hires with a click of a button.

Cons: As I stated above in the describe your experience section. The fact that getting a new employee synced in hotschedules after they have been entered into Aloha takes 24 hours is really a big inconvenience. For me personally, this has resulted in delaying the start date for new hires. I have documented about twelve different support requests to the support team to help get a new hire synced faster. I suggest maybe allowing admins to manually add employees to the staff list to help resolve this issues. Operating a restaurant with high turnover, it's crucial that new hire are able to start right away with no delay. This by far the biggest and only con that I can think of with this platform.

• Reviewed on 19/01/2018
Mike B.
  • Reviewed on 03/02/2017

"Great service"

Comments: Hot Schedules has been a great tool for our managers and staff. It's easy to use, customer service has been great to deal with.

Pros: We like to reports it's nice to get a good picture of our overhead.

Cons: The latest updates to building a schedule are a bit confusing.

Mike,

We know you're very busy, so thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us feedback. We love to serve those who serve and are happy to help your business run more efficiently.

If you have any specific suggestions for product enhancements, please do not hesitate to voice your thoughts on our community forum page!

• Reviewed on 03/02/2017
Rebecca P.
Bartender
Food & Beverages, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2018

"The best way to post work schedules"

Comments: I have thoroughly enjoyed using the app, and it has allowed me to take opportunities that have made me additional money I otherwise would not have known about. I recommend the app to my other coworkers, as it is only a dollar or two one time and you never have to worry about losing your schedule or wondering when all your shifts are.

Pros: I can access my work schedule whenever I want because it is both a website and an app. It not only tells you what your schedule is, but allows you to see who else you are working with. This is beneficial if you are trying to adjust your schedule for time off so you know exactly who is available and who is not, which saves a lot of time.

Cons: If you have marked yourself as unavailable it should flag someone from being able to add you to the schedule in that slot so that the person creating the schedule realizes they have made an error.

• Reviewed on 28/08/2018
Russ H.
Restaurant Manager
Restaurants, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/02/2018

"Very reliable"

Comments: Ease of use. Available any time and anywhere with smartphone.

Pros: I love the features that hotschedules offers to maintain and publish accurate schedules. As a business operator, it is imperative that they are done accurately and while within our forecasted budgets. Hotschedules is easy for associates to access and navigate.

Cons: I often wish that alerts involving team members accruing overtime was more prominent, but overall like the ability to run overtime reports when necessary.

• Reviewed on 27/02/2018
Erik K.
Graphic Designer
Graphic Design Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"Hot schedules review"

Comments: My overall experience has been very good. I always knew when I was working next and never missed work or was late to a shift because of it!

Pros: What I liked most about hot schedules is always being organized and being able to see my schedule ahead of time, eliminating the need to write it down or call/go in person to see when I was working next.

Cons: What I liked least is that not enough companies are using it! It’s a great platform, so I have nothing negative to say.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Mason D.

"Great Service!"

Comments: Hotschedules has made scheduling and forecasting MUCH easier. We are just a small business and the service they provide for the value is outstanding. Scheduling takes hours less than it used to and being able to look at the sales, labor, and other projection really helps us. Great service!

Pros: Great reporting and review. Awesome scheduling at ability to forecast sales and labor.

Cons: Not much honestly. The customer service is sometimes a little hard to get ahold of, and during maintenance or peak hours it can sometimes be hard to access the servers.

by HotSchedules on 13/02/2017

Hi Mason! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day to provide us some feedback! We love to serve those who serve and appreciate your involvement in our community!

Sabria S.
Waitress
Restaurants, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"HotSchedules Review"

Comments: I love it. I love when any restaurant that I’ve worked at uses it. You can drop and pickup shifts. Send messages to and from managers and team members. I always have access to my schedule 24/7

Pros: It’s very easy to use. I have access to my schedule 24/7. I can communicate with my managers effectively.

Cons: I had a little bit of difficulty trying to update my availability. I tried to do it from my phone, but ended up having to do it from my computer.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020
Nicholas W.
Events Manager
  • Reviewed on 05/03/2020

"A great bridge between employees and management"

Comments: I love hot schedules and I love even more that they have a mobile app, its a life saver!

Pros: I like that it's so easy not only for management but for employees. We can send information at the touch of a button and they're able to manage their schedule and alert us of issues.

Cons: I would make it easier to make daily notes to alert other management when events are happening so they can adjust staffing.

• Reviewed on 05/03/2020
Ayaz M.
Director Of Operations
Restaurants, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"One of best Scheduling Systems on the Market"

Comments: Worked with it for several years. They are constantly evolving to meet the industry needs. Love the fact that I do not have to have several calls just to approve a shift change. It's all done on line and just a click away. A real time saver.

Pros: The variety of options available and the ease of multiple users accessibility. Also very user friendly for the staff.

Cons: A bit complicated for entry level managers

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
James T.
GM
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018

"Super easy and convenient."

Pros: The ease of use for scheduling but also managing employee requests, requirements and required permits. Everything is at a click away.

Cons: There really isn't anything that we don't like. maybe if the actually scheduling screen was a little smaller so it's easier to see the whole week and employees in one glance. But really it's great all around.

Kawisha W.
Administrative Management
Food & Beverages, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/01/2017

"Convenient system"

Comments: Had it for a year now. Ok system. I think it is designed mainly for restaurants types. All in all its been ok for us.

Pros: Convenient for bartenders and their availability.

Cons: Updates with the actual scheduling. Not as easy to maneuver now. A little time consuming.

Kawisha,

• Reviewed on 05/01/2017
Jim M.
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018

"lots see a lot of improveents"

Pros: easy to navigate and communicate with staff and constant updates that make it easier if I had it my way i would always have the hotschedules available for all staff

Cons: updates and not being able leave photos on the messager, to make easier for people that dont have a phone to use and see the schedule

Intern - Behavioral Science Unit
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2019

"Simple and Easy to Use"

Comments: We use HotSchedules at my second job, and it is a great scheduling software. It is really easy sending messages to individual people or to groups of people, which is a super helpful option. Love that there is an app, but if you don't want to pay for it, the web version is also simple to navigate. Overall a great product that I would recommend to all employers!

Pros: I like how clear my scheduled shifts are when I log in to HotSchedules. I can quickly glance and see what my shifts are for the week and who else I am working with. It is also really easy to see what shifts are available for pick up or if someone is looking to swap one.

Cons: I didn't like that I had to pay to download the app for my phone. I use When I Work at my other job, and that app was free to download. Other than that, no complaints though.

by HotSchedules on 08/04/2019

Thank you very much for the review - I'm so glad you are getting the most of our product. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team with any questions or issues you may have. Thank you again.

• Reviewed on 06/04/2019
Arnela J.
Server
  • Reviewed on 01/04/2019

"Convenience"

Comments: Very convenient, helpful especially with restaurant jobs where schedules change often

Pros: I really liked being able see all of my schedule in one place, and it could be updated in real time. It is difficult when schedules are just printed out on paper. It also made it easier to contact people to cover your shifts.

Cons: I did not personally have any major issues with it, it does exactly what you need it to!

• Reviewed on 01/04/2019
Catherine P.
Systems Manager
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018

"We absolutely love the recent updates and new product features! Keep it up!"

Pros: Scheduling, communication, log book are all easy to use, easy to navigate, well organized, and great products

Cons: I wish we could transfer partners from store to store keeping their existing log in sheets. Having a different log in sheet for each store can be confusing.

Andrew V.
Operations Manager
Restaurants, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2020

"HotSchedules Review"

Comments: It's a great improvement over previous scheduling softwares but still has a lot of room to grow.

Pros: It allows you to do a deep dive into scheduling, aides in sales projections, and allows for rapid informing of the staff.

Cons: You have to click through too many pages to accomplish simple tasks.

• Reviewed on 25/11/2020