Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall
  • Customer Service Software

About Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT

Financial Edge NXT delivers complete fund accounting features so you can streamline financial processes and demonstrate accountability.

Learn more about Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT

Dominique J.
Dominique J.
Staff Accountant
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2018

"My review of Financial Edge NXT"

Comments: I like Financial Edge NXT and I couldn’t imagine doing my job without it!

Pros: I like that this software is for finance and accounting professionals. It has helped me to perform the daily functions of my job with limited interruptions.

Cons: I haven’t been able to understand the allocation module, and so we are still doing our investments manually. The guide that is provided seems to work more for people who have an overall understanding of how it should work.

Kenton S.
Director of Operations
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2021

"Good product - backward implementation"

Comments: The worst part is implementation. We had to make decisions about setup that cannot be changed before we fully understood how we wanted to use the software. They should have allowed us to use our own data in a "sandbox" model to learn how things work.

Pros: I love the fact that you can create journal entries and invoices and include that information in reports before posting them. This helps to avoid mistakes. The web view is user friendly and fairly intuitive.

Cons: The database view is archaic and not user friendly. Many functions have not yet been converted to the web view and must be done in the database view.

• Reviewed on 25/02/2021
Tim H.
Staff Accountant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2021

"User review"

Comments: Has been positive but still learning the system since "go-live" migration about 7 months ago.

Pros: Migration from previous version was seamless along with BB team to assist where needed. Ability to "copy previous" is very helpful. Helpful training opportunities via on-demand or BB U taught courses. BB support is usually always quick to reply & direct when needed.

Cons: Understanding parameters that need to be set (i.e. post, etc.) can be confusing. BB support does not seem to have access to your org file when issues arise...that was a bit shocking. I would think behind the scenes that would be able to access & walk through critical problems that need to be addressed. I realize it may be a data security issue but having to add a BB staff as user seems akward.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2021
Cain F.
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2018

"Financial Edge - Hands Down the Best Nonprofit Accounting Package"

Comments: Listen, price is always a concern, but so is the time you'll spend manipulating reports in Excel when you work with lesser software packages. I guarantee you, pit me on Financial Edge against an accountant on any other software, and I can get the job done at least twice as fast, and if it's QuickBooks, five times as fast, and without ever having to go into Excel to do anything.

Pros: I've worked with Blackbaud's Financial Edge for over 2 decades now (even back when it was called Accounting for Nonprofits), and it's the best for nonprofit accounting. Its chart of accounts can be changed at any point to accommodate as many segments as you need (I have worked with as many as 4 segments), and reporting of any kind is easily accomplished with the variety of accessible reports and queries. A lot of journal entries that you'd need to create in other software packages are easily handled through invoice entry in accounts payable, at the time of invoice entry, through miscellaneous distributions. Customer service is excellent as well.

Cons: The annual support for customer service is a bit pricey, and designed to keep you on the hook forever (if you don't pay for a year, because you don't think you will need support - and after the first year or two you may not - as soon as you need support, you've got to pay a large percentage of all the years you missed). Not a con, but Blackbaud's products get a bad rep from bookkeepers who are more used to the silliness of QuickBooks than the accountant's dream that Financial Edge really is.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2018
Cain F.
Civic & Social Organization
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2016

"The best nonprofit accounting software, period."

Pros: FE is quite flexible, especially its chart of accounts and the number of segments you can report on. Setup is easy, and unlike other packages, you're not glued to what you set up originally. If down the road you find you need to add a segment to your chart of accounts for reporting purposes, you can do that on the fly. And you don't need to be concerned at set-up with adding future account segments. But make no mistake: you've got to have a basic understanding of accounting in order to appreciate this product for all it can do. Customer support, through annual maintenance contracts, is excellent.

Cons: I too would like to be able to export financial reports into Excel without having to re-format when I get to Excel. That's a mild inconvenience, but there are times when you want to put stuff, data onto financial reports that can't get there any other way than through manipulation in Excel.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2016
Elaine T.
Director of Information & Member Services
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/02/2017

"Financial Edge has given us an edge up"

Comments: Financial Edge has been a great experience; we have streamlined data processes and improved our reporting cabability more than 10 fold. We love the project and grant data management pieces as well. The newest addition of Credit Card payment/processing has been a WONDERFUL thing for our office. Our CFO and Accounts Payable Staff can easily see where we are at any given moment in regards to AP/AR balances. Paying invoices is really easy and the load from tables funcationality for GL Disbursments is helpful as well. Financial Edge also has the capabilty to create recurring invoices for those AP invoices that are the same month after month. We are integrated with Raiser's Edge as well and that process is very easy as well.

Pros: Ease of use in Query and Report Parameters

Cons: Some of the more intricate invoices can be cumbersome, but that is only for a few items that we have. I wish the Vendor integration with Raiser's Edge was more robust, but it works for us ok.

• Reviewed on 22/02/2017
Claire X.
Accountant
Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2017

"A top accounting software for non-profit"

Comments: Blackbaud really values users' opinions. It connects all non-profit users together. It also emails me helpful tips every week.

Pros: Very good customer service. Comprehensive training program. I took all courses and mastered the software within 3 months. Those courses gave me an in-depth view of the software and simplify my work process. Financial Edge has easy-to-use features that meet our organization needs. I like the query function, VCO and various reports. VCO allows me to build reports in certain format, and query allows me to extract data quickly. The query function helps me survived this year's auditing. When an account was off, I used query and easily found the problems to fix it.

Cons: It logged me out and ran very slow sometimes. I'd like it to be able to communicate with excel easily.

• Reviewed on 16/11/2017
Ashley P.
Accounting Assistant
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"With their continued expanding, focus on what the users want, this product can only get better!"

Pros: The 'in testing' credit card feeds function. Our company has a lot of credit card activity and with the credit cards feed we are able to link directly to the bank accounts and pull in every transaction as they occur. This has taken our 3 days process of entering all of the receipts and shortened it down to just half a day, with the receipts already in the system all I have to do is tie it to a vendor and code it then it's done. I also like the customization when filtering through vendors and invoices each person wants and needs to see different fields and NXT really lets each user have their own experience. When entering multiple invoices for one vendor you also have the ability to duplicate the last invoice speeding things along especially if there are minimal differences between the invoices.

Cons: There is no use for our Payroll Specialist or Accounts Receivable, and with each day having at least 40 invoices to enter at one time, there is no way to enter a bulk amount of invoices like the database view allows so Accounts Payable is limited to using it only once or twice a week.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Lisa B.
Development Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2018

"Financial Edge: Ease in Monthly Reporting"

Comments: Financial Edge, once everyone on the team got familiar with the process, provided accurate and easy monthly reporting. It has safe guards against human error and asks questions through the closing process that allow you to correct any mistakes.

Pros: Financial Edge, coupled with Raiser's Edge fundraising software provides seamless financial reporting opportunities for non-profits. I would suggest that you partner RE and FE together to maximize the horse power of both products.

Cons: Financial Edge and Raiser's Edge have a learning curve if you have never used the software before. When converting from another software, work closely with your Blackbaud team to ensure a successful transition.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2018
Lisa T.
CRM Manager
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/05/2017

"FENXT - Changing with the times"

Comments: Keep listening to your customer base. This is a great product and it's getting better all the time.

Pros: FENXT is a very robust product. This web-based product is being enhanced constantly. The folks at Blackbaud have been very responsive to customer feedback and if there is a functionality that isn't there, they do their best to make sure that if it's possible, it is implemented. Very happy with how the product has evolved.

Cons: My suggestion at this time would be to wait until features are closer to being released before announcing them. Very frustrating when you know that something you need is going to be added but then it take six months for it to be ready.

• Reviewed on 23/05/2017
Development and Marketing Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2018

"Financial NXT is a must!"

Comments: We use multiple Blackbaud products within my company, including Raiser's, NXT which is very intuitive, WordPress, TeamRaiser, Merchant Services.

Pros: Overall great foundation for management of accounting, grants, other projects. They give you the ability to customize your dashboard and views. Easily monitor accounts and generate detailed reports. Allows you to process financials in smoothly, not manually. You could even set budgets for next several years.

Cons: All Blackbaud products are very pricey but it's worth the cost. We use so many different Blackbaud products. Customer service could be improved. They send you lots of video tutorials and knowledge base articles and some of the features are kind of cumbersome to understand.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2018
Joyce W.
Payroll Clerk
201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2018

"Previous User of this product"

Pros: This product works great for fund accounting. Also like the features available for tracking or researching GL items.

Cons: The only problem we had was with uploads from other software programs to Financial Edge. We used this product for several years and it served us very well.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2018
Margaret H.
Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2018

"Good training program"

Pros: Really enjoying the training available for leArning financial edge. Accounting software is easy to use.

Cons: Customer service tickets could improve. I placed a ticket and they could not help me. But I met someone at the conference and he is going to push the issue forward.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2018
Brenda S.
Foundation Financial Accountant
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 Employees

"Mostly Good"

Comments: The migration took forever, it felt like my company was not a priority and took months after we said we wanted to migrate to get any help in actually completing the process.

Pros: The ease of the development staff to get the needed information and becoming self sufficient. NXT is very user friendly.

Cons: I don’t get to use the software as much as I would like because most of my work is still done in FE7. I haven’t found the option to use relative dates when I build reports in NXT

Tyson H.
Accounting Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2019

"Find payroll solutions elsewhere"

Comments: If you are using Financial Edge for strictly accounting means, it is a fine product. However, don't expect to be wowed by the payroll module.

Pros: The software is great for allocating to multiple funding sources. We are a grant funded non-profit and need to separate shared costs, which Financial Edge does very well.

Cons: The payroll module is, by far, the worst part of Financial Edge. Short of entering each employees' time manually each day, there was no way to keep daily time records. Time was entered by the pay period manually which was very labor intensive, and we had difficulty importing time records as FE didn't offer a time keeping solution.

• Reviewed on 15/11/2019
Project Accountant
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2018

"Good product but still a work in progress."

Pros: The system is geared towards non profits. it is very easy to use. Being able to log into the system from anywhere is a huge plus.

Cons: Third party integration is still lacking compared to most other major accounting platforms. Unless you have a tech department willing to invest time into the api it is hard to do your own in depth analytics out of the box or connect the software to other systems. If the desktop version wasn't available for those in the cloud, I am not sure how any organization could do in depth analysis without the ability to query the database. The product is still a work in process as they work on moving features from the desktop version to the cloud based system. They also do not support multiple currencies which is a big con as an international non profit.

• Reviewed on 24/03/2018
Patricia D.
Finance & HR Assistant
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2018

"Great product. Waiting for full functionality. I still need to switch to FE to cut checks."

Comments: Overall, NXT is a great product. Once it is fully functional, it will be an even better product!

Pros: I like the fact that I can attach a document to an invoice or vendor profile. I also like the fact that I can uncheck the 1099 option in a new invoice if it is not required.

Cons: When I search for vendor invoices, I would like to see, on the listing page, a note that there is an attachment in the invoice without having to open it up to look.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2018
Mark H.
Registrar
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2015

"Expensive, but Comprehensive and Rock Solid Product"

Pros: The product is robust and the support is the highest quality I've experienced.

Cons: The citrix environment is a little archaic, but they are always improving.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2015
Jeremiah P.
Accountant
Accounting Software
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2015

"Newer FE user"

Pros: The abilitity to track refnuce and expenses by project and grant as well as the reporting, Flexibility, Ease of Use

Cons: Budgeting is still a work in progress, imports can be a bit trick with the file layouy and cannot use multiple currencies

• Reviewed on 12/08/2015
Deborah E.
CFO
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2016

"Financial Edge - it's good but it's not easy"

Pros: It's a good application for larger schools and universities. But integrating with the various modules offered such as registrar and Raiser's Edge doesn't work easily without training

Cons: The entries are redundant and each entry takes a good deal of time to complete. There is no intuitive fill-in as you find with an application like QuickBooks. For the same reason there are fewer errors. Extracting the exact data and reports requires training. Reaching the tech department requires several layers of bureaucracy. Once you have reached the right individual, solutions are achieved.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2016
Denise H.
Philanthropy
  • Reviewed on 06/01/2015

"Total Accounting Solution!"

Pros: Blackbaud is an all-inclusive accounting solution that allows us to truly measure our productivity and profitability. It is easy to use and has features that allow my accounting records to grow as my business grows! From sales to training and customer support, I have found Blackbaud employees helpful, kind, and knowledgeable!

Cons: To this point, I have not found anything that I do not like.

• Reviewed on 06/01/2015
Theresa B.
Accounting Software
  • Reviewed on 08/11/2014

"Love, love, love Financial Edge!"

Pros: The software is easy to use, has so many features, integrates with Raiser's Edge, PaperSave, and so many other products. The vendor is awesome and the online chat and in-person support is excellent! Knowledgebase is an online tool for searching for tips, tricks, solutions, etc.

Cons: Sometimes the report building using the visual chart organizer is a little bit tedious, but I am still new at this, so it may just be the learning curve for me.

• Reviewed on 08/11/2014
Melissa S.
Development and Events Specialist
Philanthropy, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/03/2018

"Wonderful Reports"

Pros: The reports and dashboards are very helpful in providing a snapshot of fundraising efforts. The software is intuitive and easy to use. It's also helpful to be able to log on remotely and work off-site.

Cons: The price is high, especially for smaller nonprofits. There is not as much functionality as Financial Edge.

• Reviewed on 21/03/2018
Yanli Z.
Finance Manager
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2016

"Do them all"

Pros: Blackbaud provides on stop service including software, training, data backup, system upgrade

Cons: I do not have anything I like least yet, so far it meets our requirement of low cost, nice reporting system, read only user access with very reasonable price

• Reviewed on 19/07/2016
Rebekah S.
Chief Development Officer
Environmental Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2017

"Great product, but installation and set-up support could be a lot better"

Comments: Integration with Raisers Edge, easier financial reporting, jazzier charts and graphs.

Pros: The integration with Raisers Edge is critical. It's helpful that the interface is so similar to RE, making it easier to understand.

Cons: The set-up support leaves a lot to be desired, but once you are up and running, the support is fairly good.

• Reviewed on 27/11/2017