E2 Shop System Reviews

by Shoptech Software

• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.2 /5
  • Customer Service Software

About E2 Shop System

We help shops and manufacturers of all kinds and sizes work smarter for improved efficiencies, greater flexibility and bigger profits.

Learn more about E2 Shop System

David D.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2018

"E2 Shoptech revolutionized our shop"

Pros: 1. No IT guy cost to maintain server.
2. Can use inexpensive workstations. We use Chromebooks for data collection. I also use a chromebook for trips.
3. Android/Apple app for tablets that can be used for data collection
4. Also just released an app for employees to check in and out from their phone. You can post stock from this app.
5. Work from anywhere. I was in Minnesota 2 weeks ago during a blizzard. I was at starbucks, posted up next to the window, working on my chromebook with no hick ups.
6. New updated features over the old system. Better reports. More capable Hot Spots.
7. Works the same as the old system, just things are in different spots.
8. Better, more efficient user interface
9. Easier to customize reports
10. Just introduced Dashboards

Cons: 1. The subscription price.
2. Cert control in general can be better.
3. Employee Clock in Module is a pain. You cannot edit someone time until they are clocked out.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2018
Susan B.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2019

"Users since 2005"

Comments: My overall experience has been very good with all E2 aspects, my concerns have always been handled professionally and quickly. They have been able to modify or create a new program I have requested in a timely efficient manner.

Pros: I like everything about this software. We have two sites, although we are considered Aerosafe Companies we are in fact two separate companies with their own receivables and payable. I like that I can switch back and forth with ease. I use the accounting modules mostly which are wonderful, I have never had a problem with them. I also use the Purchasing module as I order tooling, material, supplies etc., The Inventory module is great allowing me to allocate all items to a GL code I have set up.

Cons: There are no cons as far as I am concerned and would recommend it to anyone. I have done so on more than one occasion.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2019
Erica C.

"Good software"

Comments: Overall this is the best application for what we need. The customer service is top notch. The custom development team is good.

Pros: I like the fact the you can route, have job costing, accounting, etc all in one area. For this type of application, this is the best software to choose from. Shoptech continues to make improvements and listens to the customers on where to improve.

Cons: The quality module needs improved as well as the scheduling. The repository in unusable.

Lucas P.
Director of Quality
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2020

"Used to use E2"

Comments: Customer support and product was good. We aren’t a machine shop and are a travel service company. E2 wasn’t offering a Mobil App at the time we needed it. That is why we moved to another software to track all employees time and expenses.

Pros: It was great at linking in-house employee hours jobs.

Cons: It was not easy for employees to change their time during the day/week. Managers had to edit it.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2020
Anne H.
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"E2 Has Brought Amazing Efficiency to our Company"

Comments: Efficiency, time saving, and error reduction are the main contributions this system has brought to our business. The error reduction is found in only having to enter information one time, and having that follow through in all of the processes, even on our Open Order Summary. If an initial error is made, it can be corrected at the source and the other paperwork corrected or re-generated. The efficiency and time-savings are self evident in what I've already said.

Pros: E2 has really helped us streamline all of our processes: from initially purchasing, through receiving, invoicing, check writing on the AP side; to processing POs from customers, generating orders, travelers, packing lists, and invoicing on the AR side. I can't imagine going back to what we did before! In the E2 system, once a part number/PO is entered, all of that information travels through all of the processes and handling of that item. No more repeated entries, with that time consumption and potential for error--one entry and you are done!--the processing of the PO or part number then goes through the whole shop and out the door. And I am not even including the ease of quoting and routing, which is less in my area of work, but is the area where most parts "begin" their life with us. E2 takes these parts all the way through, including the generating of Return Authorizations and credits when those are needed, in a seamless way.

Cons: Honestly, I can't think of any significant cons. We have had the occasional glitch or problem with usage, and there are some areas where I wish we could use the system even more, but for the massive amount of work we do use it for, it is excellent!

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Lisa T.
VP
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"I no longer wanted my shop to run me...."

Comments: E2 has been great to work with from the very beginning. We do not have an IT department but they helped walk me through the steps of setting up our system. They are always very nice and polite on the phone whenever I have to call. The system is great, with only a few bugs.

Pros: The way that E2 links all the different aspects together with various search functions. I can easily find ANYTHING i'm looking for and run so many reports to find out whatever information I want.

Cons: We still use the Access database version and it's only for PC. Two of us are dedicated Apple users, so that took some figuring out how to continue using Apple products with E2. There are only two reasons I haven't switched to the online hosted version - document type linking, and stable internet service.

Jim C.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2019

"Best Software Value"

Comments: Bottomline, the E2 Shop System is affordable, easy to use, expandable, versatile and worth the price we paid. The support is top notch and the sales process and our data transition was effortless. We purchased our software on February 23, 2005 and have been a customer for over 14 years!! The service and support has remained consistent over that time period and the company seems to be extremely customer focused. I would highly recommend the E2 Shop System.

Pros: What we like most about the E2 Shop System Software is the ability to expand and customize our databases. We purchased the SQL version which allowed us to put the E2 OEM program on steroids. We added custom fields and tables of things that were very specific to our manufacturing business. We also added a custom front end for our customers to access things like detailed part specifications, testing data, sales history, package tracking, and much more. We also added a custom backend for our employees to enter non E2 items into separate database tables and link the information to the customers and vendors already in E2. The best part is, we have a very high end custom solution at a fraction of the cost of some of the other solutions on the market. We have the ability to barcode scan, track employees time for payroll, calculate exact labor costs based on actual production times, track inventory, import our invoices into Quickbooks, perform accurate estimations / quotations and much more.

Cons: We started off with the Access database version which is limited in scope, but soon realized that the SQL version was much more powerful and allowed unlimited growth.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2019
Robert B.
System Administrator
Building Materials, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"The Perfect Manufacturing Software"

Comments: We have been using E2 for well over 16 years and so far we love it. We have used other systems and this one just seed to get it right. In that time we have only had a handful of issues of which most were fixed in minutes and all we had to do was call Tech Support and explain what was not working. The customer and technical support staff are extremely knowledgeable in what their software can do and how they can customize it to fit your every need. They have even extra fields set aside for all most every function to carry different data types just in case you have found a data point that they haven't thought of.

Pros: E2 creates a clutter free work space with a simple layout and design. Shop Tech has broken down the manufacturing process to get a true understanding of how our company really operates. The bolt on modules allow for greater control of specific functions in particular departments. We specifically use the Scheduling and Custom Order Import Automation functions. Scheduling give us a top level view, department view, work center view, and all the way down to a view of sub parts that make up a single part. This tells us exactly where an order is as well as if we are under or over loaded at the work center and department level. All I have to do is pull up the schedule, click a button for the level of detail I want to display and away it goes. The Custom Order Import Function has allowed us to automate the order entry process by simply downloading a file from our customer, pointing where I saved the file, and clicking "Import". This function creates the order and based off our custom company settings which we have setup to automatically pull from stock jobs, inventory, post a quantity to make or a combination of all of the above. We can then run a requirement report to see what we need to make to fulfill open orders or to make stock for inventory. It really doesn't get easier than that.

Cons: The extra modules do have a cost but they are well worth it. On the plus side of that, E2 will demo the modules with full functionality and if it doesn't incorporate everything that you need you don't have to purchase it.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
John V.
Vice President
Aviation & Aerospace
  • Reviewed on 02/10/2015

"E2 is the ERP that gives the big name ERP's a Run for there money!!"

Pros: I have used multiple ERP systems some of them rather expensive with a large learning curve, when I went looking for a ERP system for our machine shop, one of the leading criteria was that the ERP would have, or support the AS9100 standard. E2 was the only one that offered a QA module to help create our AS9100 documentation, then as a bonus E2 had a consultant come out and help set up our AS9100 Quality Management System, to top it off, another consultant came back out a few month later to do an audit of our documentation to make sure we were ready to take on the AS9100 registrar. E2 does have an AP & AR module however we wanted to be able to keep our financial information separate in QuickBooks, this ERP system allows you to flow order and purchase order information seamlessly from E2 to QuickBooks by syncing this information over. I really hope companies that are looking for an ERP system make E2 their choice. I did a lot of painstaking research on this and wish I would have found reviews of ERP systems like this to help me along. E2 does what it takes to run a business effectively and as an added surprise the software is cost effective as well.

Cons: The only Area I have had a challenge with would be the timeclock buzzer, the timeclock portion is provided by one of E2's partners and we recently had the buzzer stop working well, the e2 sofware is pinging the correct signal however the buzzer is not working correctly. So really this doesnt seem to be a E2 issue it is a computerwise issue (computerwise is the timeclock system)

• Reviewed on 02/10/2015
Robert W.
IT Department Manager
Utilities, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/03/2019

"Growing Our Business"

Comments: Seventeen years ago I was brought into CAMCO to research and implement a comprehensive business and shop control solution for them. Other previous attempts to do so weren't working out and then we found Shoptech. I'm still here!
Shoptech has enabled us to control and track the hundreds of jobs and thousands of associated parts that flow through our business monthly. We can see where our time and materials are and have a precise breakout of costs and income. The accounting and reports module generate all that is needed for our accountants to do their respective tasks and give upper management the oversight they need to run the business.

Pros: We're a growing company and as such have turn-over and new personnel growth. E2 is intuitive and our new employees seem to be able to adapt into the system with minimal effort and training. As the IT person here I have witnessed that peer-to-peer training seems to be all that is required to have that new person up and running on E2 within a short time and with little involvement from me, that's a big help! From Shipping and Receiving through final Billing, if our new hire has basic computing skills, their transition into that respective E2 function hasn't been a major training concern.

Cons: We're a service and repair facility and it took considerable effort improvising and rethinking to adapt the system into our way of doing things. Initially the software seemed to be over-kill and confusing for our needs but with time we were able to merge our methods with the system and adapt.

• Reviewed on 22/03/2019
Sal G.
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2019

"Great Job Shop Software"

Comments: Although the move from the Professional version to the web based E2 system has had some issues that still have not been resolved I would still recommend E2. The people at E2 are great and are always trying to improve their product and in time I think it will be exactly what we are looking for. I still want to see a Sales/CRM Module and then I'd say it's pretty close to being a complete system.

Pros: The new web based software works well and is easy to use. The integration of the of all the different modules is very nice. Data collection tied to operations and job travelers gives us a great way to quote more accurately and efficiently. The Rapid Documentation System gives you all that you'll need to become ISO certified and ties right into your E2 system. The new apps that they have created have added features making it easy to enter additional information and part pictures.

Cons: The web based system has a repository manager which is the weakest link in the system. It's time consuming to upload documents, enter documents into document control, and then link to the part number. This needs to be simplified. Also all the documents must be PDF's if you want them to print with a job traveler. In the new web based system you will be mouse clicking all over the screen instead of tabbing from field to field. Also you will need a large monitor to minimize the screen from jumping around and still be able to see the font.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2019
Lari G.
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2011

Comments: Forward Technologies is a small Job Shop in Springfield, OH. We specialize in machining plastics. When I started at Forward Tech in 2007 we were using Peachtree software for our accounting system, Excel Spreadsheets for scheduling and quoting and a paper system for purchasing (NO PO’S). In 2008 we started looking at software systems - my boss is always interested in improvements. That year we added another mill and lathe to the shop and our capacity had increased; handling everything was becoming more difficult. We looked at several systems but E2 just blew them all away. There was no doubt in anyone’s mind – we wanted this system. Implementation was reasonably easy - we were starting from scratch so we were able to do things exactly the way we wanted. Of course we found out later it wasn’t exactly the way we wanted, but changes were easily made and with experience we are running very smoothly. With time and confidence we have utilized more aspects of the system. At first it was Order Entry-Purchasing- Accounting- then a real push to Time Tracking. We have not implemented scheduling but I see a time in the very near future when we will. Our use of the Quality Module is sporadic – but that is a manpower issue, not a software one. I cannot say enough about Trisha, our in house rep. During implementation and the year afterward, she was always there to help and in fact still is. She answers emails instantly and I think she might even take some at home because I have received responses late in the evening. Since the addition of Tech View on the website, I can find the answers to some of my questions very quickly without bugging Trisha (I love the info sheets under “Knowledge”). One of the techs is always available; they get back to me quickly and help me fix whatever issue I might have. How has E2 helped our shop? Since purchasing E2 we have doubled our capacity, hired more machinists, doubled our square footage and tripled our job load. Being able to easily track what is in-house, what is on order, order history, pricing, did we make money, did we lose money, the ability to play with pricing and have an idea of the profitability of the part, the ease of cross-referencing PO’s with invoices – all of these things have made my life so much easier. As the shop has grown I have been able to keep up- and I think a lot of it is due to E2. I also think that E2 has given us confidence that we are actually making a profit – and with that confidence the knowledge that we can keep growing. We will be adding another Mill this fall. Have there been difficulties? Of course, there always is with change – but I LOVE this system. If we have experienced resistance, well, that is a part of life. If I have to use a cattle prod on my fellas then I will use a cattle prod, because at the end of the day what I get from E2 is worth it.

• Reviewed on 17/08/2011
Chris H.
General Manger
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2018

"Excellent software for a shop or manufacturing company big or small."

Comments: before buying any software make sure it look seriously at E-2. Their prices are more affordable than you would think and by far best program for you.

Pros: the newest version of the software is great. the ability to create new items, quotes, jobs etc. is very easy. I looked into several different software options and to get the cloud based software the cost was higher than i expected and other company seemed to push to have you buy the on premise versions. the ability to add shop users later is not only easy but very affordable. the nice thing is you dont have to have shop users to be able to track or log times per job. you can enter in manually so if you are a smaller shop you can still take advantage of all the benefits of the software and be able to track P & L quick and easy.

Cons: My only downside to this was i used an old version for several years at another company. I was very jaded about looking at it for our new shop because how my previous employer had it set up. after seeing the newest version and all the improvements my mind was changed very quickly.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2018
Dave L.
General Manager
Public Safety, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"E2 Review"

Comments: It did what we needed it to do. Monitor Inventory, Produce Quotes , Acknowledgements, Invoicing. Keep a History. It has been an improvement over using spreadsheets like we were doing.

Pros: It did what we needed it to do. Monitor Inventory, Produce Quotes , Acknowledgements, Invoicing. Keep a History.

Cons: Need a basic scheduling of orders interface without buying another package.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Christy G.
Maritime, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"E2 Shop System for Manufacturing"

Comments: The E2 Shop system has improved our quoting capabilities, which in turn, increases our bottom line. Our company uses Quickbooks and the interface has been consistent and reliable. And again, on the few times where there has been connectivity issues with Quickbooks, E2's technical support was able to resolve the problem very quickly.

Pros: This software is very consistent throughout all modules which makes it very user friendly. Also, the customer service is excellent. Each time I have encountered any issues, I can get a technician on the phone immediately who can remote in and resolve my issue instantly. They are knowledgeable, communicate clearly, and very efficient.

Cons: There is a bit of a lag time in using the online version, but the data is secure and the updates are frequent. Also, it does not retain historical pricing information for cost of materials, which would be useful when analyzing particular material costs.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
Robert E.
IT Manager
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"E2 Great System for Machine Shop"

Pros: Easy interface, large font, easy to read, excellent support, upgrades very easy across all computers!!!

Cons: Very few cons with this system as its probably the best value on the market for a machine shop with under 100 employees.

Abs P.
Operations Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2016

"Getting in now is a good way to get familiar with the software."

Pros: Customer support is easy to access, prompt, and very knowledgeable. For a small shop like the one I work in (less than 20 employees) going from a completely analog based system to a digital one saves a ton of time when it comes to recalling information. Being able to keep track of jobs, purchases, and inventory was our main goal and was accomplished easily using E2. Update: Previously I was critical of the state the software is currently in and was contacted by Shoptech to gain some insight on the complete overhaul E2 is going through. We had a very informative web demo and am thoroughly impressed with the improvements that are in store. The new interface is much more intuitive while still keeping the core functionality of the current E2 system, so transitioning for end-users should be relatively easy. The power and flexibility of the system has been enriched, bringing multiple open modules, higher limits on searches, easier search filtering; essentially the ability to get/enter information faster and with fewer clicks. Scalability is coming too! It’s an update that I’m looking forward to getting.

Cons: The web demo answers many grievances that we have with the current E2 software. An issue, from a small shop perspective, that came up was that of added cost. Everything discussed during the demo regarding pricing is unconfirmed, but due to the nature of how the new system will be implemented an added cost may be incurred separate from the current OPTIONAL maintenance structure. Many small shops will have to weigh the benefits of maintaining a subscription to that of staying with the older system they’re currently using. Hopefully scale of operations is taken into consideration when the actual prices are set.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2016
James K.
Software Administrator
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2020

"Enhancements to E2"

Comments: Started we E2 in an Access Data Base we are now running our data in SQL

Pros: It would be nice to customize each module screen, not the program itself just the titles E2 assigned to that field. This may not be the words company uses thereby this is harder to teach employees. Also would be easier to follow if you had a sales order module separate from sales and call it production or job number
It would be great if you could incorporate auto receive to inventory items instead of having to create packing slip. Also back flush for jobs would be great for tracking components used in production

Cons: Does not have payroll module
We are ISO Certified and tracing raw material purchase order to job production to finished product is great

• Reviewed on 26/02/2020
Kary L.
VP Business Development
Aviation & Aerospace, 11-50 Employees

"Long Time User"

Pros: 1) User Friendly
2) Robust
3) Complete ERP System
4) Great Customer Support

Cons: Nothing. This product does everything we needed it to do and efficiently.

Joe B.
IT Director
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
    2.5 /5
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 30/12/2015

"Does not grow at the rate of your business"

Pros: The designers clearly have knowledge of a shop environment and are pretty comprehensive in touching all the aspects of a job shop. The sales team is very accessible. The product is very easy to get up and operational with which may be attractive to shops starting out or implementing this type of system for the first time. The software does have controls over what users can do what which is useful for keeping employees in check. The reports that it generates are concise and professional looking out of the box.

Cons: The interface is woefully outdated and lacks cohesiveness throughout, data entry practices in one area do not apply to others and certainly do not conform to defacto software standards. Its a bit embarrassing having state of the art CAD/CAM systems with wonderful imagery next to something that looks straight out of 1996. Looks are one thing but we have had a lot of time lost due to slow workflow and data entry errors. It will open many windows and dialog boxes which demand screen focus. Not only is it cumbersome to work in other windows applications with E2 running, you can not even run more than one task at a time inside of it. The software does not scale well to high resolutions or multiple screens. The software rarely fails gracefully, you'll get cryptic error messages in never ending loops. The software relies on a number of 3rd party frameworks including outdated Java runtimes (insecure) All of your data is stored MSJet databases, for those not tech savvy, its late 1980's technology that is isn't supported by Microsoft any more and was never really designed to be scaled to the point you can potentially reach. They do offer an upgrade to MS SQL which comes at a significant cost (which doesn't include SQL server itself or migration services) and it has the added bonus of breaking any custom reports (which are also expensive commissioned work). Although some user controls are present, there isn't granular control over everything in the system. Its very possible users without clearance to certain information can gain access to things they shouldn't. (ie: ITAR) Nearly every other vendor is offering some type of cloud integration, and although E2 does offer a component called webview (no surprise, its an additional fee), its really a customer portal and doesn't offer much in terms of what a company employee would need. The software will not play nicely across multiple networks, we had several locations connected via VPN which Shoptech does not support. Their solution was to use MS terminal services which is cumbersome and requires additional licensing. In today's global economy, accessibility should be paramount, not a vendor locked afterthought. The software does have provisions for shop floor data collection and although it does work, its cumbersome and our busy and non-technical shop floor staff abhor it and we eventually abandoned it. Support was initially good but as our business grew and our implementation of the software became more complex support has been slow to respond (if at all) and many of the ongoing problems we are facing haven't been satisfactorily resolved.

• Reviewed on 30/12/2015
Pat M.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/03/2020

"Excellent system"

Comments: Excellent!

Pros: We are a small manufacturing facility - but small does not mean we don't need the same data as the "bigs". E2 in it's old form was terrific - however the cloud based version is superior! Functionality - ease of reports, working with other platforms....we can't say enough!
We are now working on customizing some reports and I can't wait til they are part of our daily work!
Great software, great people, great value!

Cons: IF we can't figure out a custom report and need some form changes...it has taken longer than we like - however....that is the only downside thus far!

• Reviewed on 09/03/2020
John C.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2019

"Our experience with E2 Shoptech"

Comments: We are very happy with the system, and our customers like it as well, especially when we can tell them when they can get parts and what kind of lead times to expect. Our quoting also became much more accurate .

Pros: The best feature about the software is the flexibility and scale ability E2 offered from the start. We were already a 15 year old, established shop when we integrated the software in our shop in 2001, and we did it with ease in parallel with our normal workload.

Cons: There is very little we didn't like about the software ( except it maybe better if it were free ! ) but writing custom reports was the hardest for us. luckily, E2 provides report writing as a service.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2019
Scott K.

"E2 for a manufacturer"

Comments: the overall experience with E2 has been good.

Pros: E2 is very easy to use once you know how to use it. the amount of information available within the system is accessible and usable for most aspects of operation

Cons: without training the software is not user friendly. utilizing on site training was very valuable but expensive. the ability to customize for specific information or specific type of information comes at a very high cost. set up is very critical especially if you are trying to import information from other databases.

Sandy R.
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees

"Perfect ERP System"

Comments: With E2 we are able to integrate all aspects of the manufacturing process. We are able to see the progress of a job in regards to hours, cost, scheduling, and OTD.

Pros: This software is perfect for our manufacturing facility. The ease of use and customer support is fantastic. Anytime we need help, the folks at Shoptech are eager to assist and resolve any issue in a professional and timely manner.

Cons: In certain cases the software is not very flexible. There are times you need to update an order or PO and find that since other steps have been taken, you are not able to make the corrections or updates you need to make.

Melissa K.
EVP
Mining & Metals, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/04/2018

"If you are a company that is looking to truly maximize an ERP system to organize your company thoroughly, I would keep searching."

Pros: E2 user for 13 years, sequel version. Most manufacturing companies hardly utilize more than 50% of an MRP/ERP, and don't put the effort to truly comprehend the system to ever fully utilize. In those cases, this would be a good system to use. It does a lot of muscle work for you if you use it right. If you are truly ok with simply letting their scheduling module spit out a generic schedule that is limited in work-ability, this would be a good system. The most updated version has more bells a whistles which is nice but for us was fundamentally lacking in real change and not worthy of the investment to upgrade - plus the fact it is an entirely new system where you would lose all your history was additionally disappointing.

Cons: The system has way too many issues. The purchasing module is as stagnant and rigid as it gets. No room for flexibility. The estimating module is also disconnected on very basic levels from the purchasing side. The scheduling module has not been updated in any sort of substantial way since the beginning and is entirely too slow to be of use if you actually want to actively manage your variables. It crashes a lot (and yes, we had it set up by them so no reason there). The support is BASIC. Within 1 year, I was more knowledgeable than the staff trying to help me with questions I had. Constant system issues where quantities duplicate on their own, or system crashes when running a report (which some of them take a really long time).

• Reviewed on 01/04/2018