• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.6 /5

About Shopify POS

Built for retail, Shopify POS brings your sales, inventory, customers, and more together across brick & mortar and online locations.

Learn more about Shopify POS

Brittany V.
VP Sales
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"Big fan of everything Shopify does"

Comments: Great for small businesses.

Pros: They really are a powerhouse. I have always been a fan of Shopify compared to their competitors.
All of their software is smooth and user-friendly. So of course their POS is too. Very easy to setup, great for beginners, small shops, bloggers. Can be completely automated and is easy to setup. I like that they make it easy to integrate with so many different programs and locations. I used Square before Shopify POS and I would say they're comparable in the way they function and look, however, Shopify's offers a lot more integrations and setups. I have always felt secure using this system as well.

Cons: I really don't have any complaints for this software. It does exactly what I need it to do.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Brenda C.
manager
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2018

"Easy to use"

Pros: I like that Shopify POS is integrated with our Shopify website. If we sell something in store, it deducts it from our inventory online, which is very convenient. I don't have to worry about inventory being off.

Cons: The thing I like the least about Shopify POS is that when I issue store credit to a customer, there is no way in the system to know who the store credit was issued to in the future. In other words, you have to keep track of it yourself.

• Reviewed on 19/04/2018
Silversmith
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2019

"Great for my part time side buisness!"

Comments: As an artist who is still working a full time day job, I love how easy it is to post my items for sale. I normally am trying to fit in when I can during my off hours so the more simple it is, the better for me!

Pros: My favourite thing about this software is how user friendly it is. As someone with limited computer knowledge, I found the set and up upkeep to be very easy.

Cons: There isn't much I would change about the Shopify POS but I would like for the page with the list of items to be a little more organized and easier to search.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2019
Aubrey C.
Hygiene Coordinator
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Easy to use for small business"

Comments: Shopify has been great as a shopper because it helps me have all of my information in one place.

Pros: I really love using Shopify when I am shopping on small business sites because it is easy to use, has the option for me to put in my email to remember all of my personal information, and saves my credit cards.

Cons: Because this is a very simple software, I don't like how it isn't able to grow with a business. Over time, a business would need to invest in a larger platform.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Curt N.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2019

"Seamless"

Comments: Shopify PoS gives us peace of mind whenever we open a pop up or retail experience.

Pros: While we have not used other PoS software, Shopify PoS does a great job for us. All features we need, none that we don't, and an intuitive UI.

Cons: We have not had any issues with this tool so far. There may be features on other platforms that we are not aware of.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2019
Michael S.
  • Reviewed on 08/12/2016

"More Than a Cash Register"

Comments: The POS option with Shopify is great. With an iPad, cash register and scanner you are totally in control. We have been using our POS system from Shopify for over 3 years and have never had a problem. Because we have our online store integrated into the POS customers can order products on line, pick home delivery as the shipping option and we will deliver it to their home. We have a smaller iPad we use at events that has the same inventory as our online store. It comes with a credit card swipe with the payments processed by Shopify. Deposits are made to our bank account within a couple days.

• Reviewed on 08/12/2016
Ryan W.
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Essential for shopping in-person"

Pros: If you want to make money on the go, Shopify POS is a must. It lets you advertise and sell your items to people you meet in person.

Cons: You can't view and purchase from your store which would be a cool feature when showing your store to someone.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Hoyt G.
  • Reviewed on 25/01/2017

"It gets the job done"

Comments: Free with shopify and free card reader... so why not? It's really incredible to be able to take your online store on the road with you

• Reviewed on 25/01/2017
Hanson G.
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2016

"Free - and awesome"

Comments: It's very nice to have the ability to accept payments on the spot! We use it at showcases and tradeshows :)

• Reviewed on 07/12/2016
Daniel F.
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2017

"I can do the same on Square for FREE"

Pros: Integrates with my Shopify Store (Something Square Cant), great for inventory across online offline, integrates with Epson printers.

Cons: PRICE, Shopify POS is expensive and does not require the price tag when compared to the competition. IT has an app store but those apps addon more price to the monthly fees. Also, the Shopify POS's payment terminal doesn't support TAP which is pretty bad. Switched to Square and never going back.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2017
Tom O.
Digital Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 14/03/2018

"Open a store or a booth at a trade show, no problem!"

Comments: I could say about the software is that it needs an internet connection to function. That can be a problem if you're working a booth at an exhibition or show where the wifi or cell service is spotty. Granted, there has to be some way to transmit credit card information to get it approved, but it still is a trouble that the shop keeper has to manage.

Pros: Shopify's POS app is stupid simple to use. It takes payments on the fly and seamlessly integrates with the online store. It sets up in seconds and works on a moment's notice. Using it for day-to-day business or trade shows, the POS software is extremely nimble fits your every selling need.

• Reviewed on 14/03/2018
Jonathan K.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2018

"Needs some work to become a full featured POS system"

Pros: Relatively easy to set up with recommended hardware for not a ton of money. Runs off an iPad and supports multiple users and cash management. Isn't like a lot of the antiquated POS systems out there

Cons: Checkout flow can be slow which is difficult when there is a long line. Wish it were better at handling exchanges and returns. Would require us to go to the web version of Shopify to get full access to order controls.

• Reviewed on 21/10/2018
Marketing Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/03/2019

"Quick, easy, professional ecommerce presence"

Pros: I work everyday in Shopify and it makes the checkout process for our customers easy peazy. Less pain points and a fast, digestiable checkout process for all. Whether it be creating products, collections, modifying our blogs or more, it makes our lives easier to have a fantastic software to work with.

Cons: I wish we could schedule the rotating banner. This would make life so much easier than having to create and publish the night before or minutes before our launches. Also, make the box in the PAGES expandable rather than the fixed size.

• Reviewed on 02/03/2019
Technical Support Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/09/2019

"Best Way to Become an Online Seller"

Comments: We have been selling our products online and making a good revenue thanks to Shopify for a smooth way of creating your online store.

Pros: Now selling your product on the E-commerce site has just got better with Shopify, I can upload my products and make it available to buyers with the help of this software.

Cons: I think this software is great you just need to make sure you keep upgrading it on time as and when they have a new update.

• Reviewed on 20/09/2019
Laurie G.
Head of Marketing
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2019

"Perfect for a Single-Till Business"

Comments: We needed a Point of Sale system that tied in with our web-store, Shopify was perfect for both. The PoS app makes it easy to handle sales out on the shop floor too.

Pros: The ease of finding products within the graphic front-end, including the product images to make identifying niche products easier for staff within great industry knowledge.

Cons: The product set-up can be quite timely without a built in bulk-image management platform.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2019
Mark B.
Realtor Team Leader / Co-Owner"The Marks of Excellence" Team
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2018

"Perfect for vendors"

Pros: This is a very simple easy to use integration. The free card reader and chip reader is a huge plus!

Cons: There is actually nothing we do not like about this product! Does exactly what we need it to do!

• Reviewed on 05/12/2018
Iana L.
content analyst
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2020

"Amazing platform to buy and sell things"

Comments: My overall experience with Shopify POS is a good one

Pros: I love this software because it's a great way to sell staff you have and make this process easy and smooth due to this platform.

Cons: I'd prefer more affordable price and a better layout that's user friendly and time saving, other than that there is nothing I would change.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2020
Tracey B.
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2018

"Great for shows"

Comments: Shopify POS has been a game changer for selling products on the go. Love it!

Pros: This app is perfect for having a booth at a show so that you can sell the inventory you have or even take orders and it all goes through your Shopify store that way your sales are still tracked there.

Cons: I’ve been so pleased with this app that it’s difficult to think of a con.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2018
Shannon B.
Co-Owner
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2018

"Perfect for vendors"

Pros: We use this service to link to our shopify store at craft shows and vendor events. We have NEVER had an issue with the product! Plus, they give you a FREE chip reader with the shopify subscription. SO MUCH BETTER THAN PAYPAL!

Cons: NOTHING! Product is PERFECT just as it is. I cannot find anything negative to say

• Reviewed on 15/12/2018
Paul B.
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2018

"Seamless way to integrate pop up store with website"

Pros: This has allowed me to sell my inventory offline, you can even take payments.

Cons: The android app seemed to use my phone battery quite quickly.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2018
Randy L.
Environmental Engineer
Environmental Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"Good but confusing"

Comments: I used this program to try e commerce. It was very simple to navigate

Pros: I like how you can use this program to help you sell your online products. It should be simple, however because I was not able to sell my product, I could not unlock it's full potential

Cons: The program itself does not have any bad features. I was just not able to sell my products. Monitoring my products were simple thanks to this app.

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Kaden B.
Business Owner
  • Reviewed on 21/09/2019

"Revolutionized My Business"

Comments: Awesome. They’ve changed our business to one that was making $500 a month to one that has quadrupled in size in just a year.

Pros: I have been so impressed with everything that Shopify offers. Their reporting, different integrations, website building, all of it is so impressive.

Cons: I haven’t found anything that I don’t like about Shopify. I’ve been very impressed with them from the beginning.

• Reviewed on 21/09/2019
Maile U.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2021

"Mostly good"

Comments: Despite the minor flaws, I still use Shopify POS because it is the easiest POS solution for my business. The pricing is fine as well.

Pros: The Shopify POS is linked to my product list, which makes it easy to select which product(s) shoppers are buying.

Cons: It was hard to set a temporary sales tax. I live in Oregon where we don't have a sales tax, but sometimes travel to other states for conventions or shows. While at the show I need a way to set a location-based temporary sales tax and at the same time allow my online customers to check out without any sales tax. That was surprisingly hard to do last time I used Shopify POS. It's possible the problem has been fixed by now... I haven't used it since before the pandemic started.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2021
Kelly M.
  • Reviewed on 02/12/2020

"Not a fan of the app update"

Comments: The old POS app was very easy to use, but with the update I am thinking of switching to Square. I reached out customer service about the possibly of reverting to the old app; they respond quickly which is great, but unfortunately we are stuck with the new app which I do not think will work for our business.

Pros: Shopify makes it easy to add and edit products to your library. It's great that it tracks inventory and can easily see sales and customer data.

Cons: I have been using shopify pos for almost 2 years and am very disappointed with the recent upgrade. We use the pos app for farmers markets and oftentimes don't have great internet. With the new update, we cannot even get into the app without great internet. Additionally, there is a new password feature that is used to get into the app. It was not very intuitive to figure out how to turn this off and caused some problems with our staff. The new layout is not very user friendly as I find myself having to do several extra steps to complete a sale than I used to.

• Reviewed on 02/12/2020
Justin R.
  • Reviewed on 22/03/2018

"Easy to use. Powerful."

Comments: It's great for my website and makes fulfilling orders easy.

Pros: Just the basic version of Shopify is powerful enough to run a successful e-commerce website. The addition add-ons make you an unstoppable entrepreneur as you can build a custom store to fit your needs.

Cons: I wish you could build a website beyond your web-store within Shopify. You can build pages and do workarounds to make it feel more complete but it lacks some functions you would get from say... Blue Host or Squarespace, or Wix.

• Reviewed on 22/03/2018