Denali Accounting Software Reviews

by Cougar Mountain Software

• Overall
    3.9 /5
    3.8 /5
    3.9 /5

About Denali Accounting Software

Three product lines: Denali Business, Denali FUND for nonprofits, and Denali Payroll. Ten accounting modules to choose from.

Learn more about Denali Accounting Software

Showing 25 reviews of 60

Bob B.
Solution Consultant
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2018

"Great for small to mid-size buisenes"

Pros: Modular based product that allows businesses to choose from the suite not forcing businesses to purchase modules that are not needed. The modular base allowed us to purchased what we needed when we were ready.

Cons: The interface is a bit out dated and could use some revamping. The functionality is great just could used an update to the UI.

• Reviewed on 11/03/2018
Ernest B.
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2016

"Being a user of this software for more than twenty years over all I it"

Pros: It is a very stable platform and the service we get from computer team is first class

Cons: they use a genuis credit card capturing device and we feel that the device should capture the signature of our customers that have an open account. we have to have the customer sign twice or copy the A/R invoice!

• Reviewed on 18/01/2016
John F.
Accounting and Technology interface
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2015

"Denali is full of Bugs, report information is inaccurate. Information cannot be trusted"

Comments: Examples
1.Purchase Order generated an incorrect back order PO- the quantity on the PO was not what was in the Inventory Master Record. 2.The General Ledger impact report in Edit does not show accurate balances. 3. Interface with UPS Worldship does not work. 4. The daily backup only goes to a Local C Drive on a desktop. 5. Customer Statements have incorrect due dates. 6. Cannot print a Zero Dollar Invoice, but it does process through posting. 7. The percentages over Min and Max do not always work in PO. 8. Cannot modify existing reports as the data fields available are very restricted.
Plus- Crystal reporting tool works very well and can be used to generate stand alone reports directly from underlying files. System speed is very good. Report output allows for export to excel files. Easy to publish adjusted standard reports. Reprint a posting in GL very helpful.

by Cougar Mountain Software on 05/12/2015

Thanks for your comments. Your points are acknowledged. We have received a design change request related to PO-generation. Also, you are right about the UPS Worldwide interface. That interface was in CMS Pro (our legacy product) but was never implemented in Denali. There are a couple of points that are unknown to us. These include the issue with the Impact Summary and the issue with the Customer Statement. We¿ve searched our records for reports of these problems without finding them. We welcome your help in recreating those. Some of the points align with the expected use of the product. The backup does not have to be saved only to the local C drive, it can be saved to any networked location. Also, zero dollar invoices are not printed as the default in Denali because many (most) customers do not want them to print. (You can print these invoices manually by selecting All as the invoice type to print.)

We are constantly improving Denali and appreciate your input to the process.

• Reviewed on 13/11/2015
Josh J.
Operations Manager
Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Excellent Payroll System For Our Non Profit!"

Pros: We were really excited to get started with growing our non profit but quickly became weary of the accounting requirements when paying individuals. It's been an amazing growth step in our organization.

Cons: It took some time to transition into this platform from our regular payroll system. However, with their support this was a quick and easy transition.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Aaron P.
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 02/12/2014

"Denali is the best!"

Pros: I like the inventory control the best. I also like the fact that Cougar Mountain has regular updates and that they are always striving to improve their product.

Cons: I'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts. As far as the vendor, the thing I like the least about them is sometimes it's hard to get through to support.

• Reviewed on 02/12/2014
Betty R.
Bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2015

"Not user friendly"

Comments: I know that we have an outdated version of your software, but find it to be not user friendly and when you call for help, you are initially put on hold for as much as 45 minutes and then it takes the whole day to get a call back.
When I need help, I need it at the time...
No need to contact us, we are changing software and are about to go live.

by Cougar Mountain Software on 10/12/2015

Betty, thank you for posting your feedback. We certainly can understand the frustration of waiting for support. We released Denali, our latest and flagship product, many years ago and have concentrated our support staff on meeting the needs of the growing volume of Denali users. The result has been that the number of staff trained and available to service customers that remain on our heritage product (CMS Pro) has dwindled. Because there are fewer available staff that know this aging product the result is longer response times for customers that remain on that product. We are sad to hear that you will be converting to another accounting product but wish you well and good business in the coming years.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2015
Margaret A.
Comptroller
  • Reviewed on 19/02/2016

"Partial usage of software"

Comments: We only use Cougar Mountain to post information from our hand written invoices. We post invoice #, total due and customer po# only. This gives us an ability to mail a statement with payments posted against it. It does give us a report to use for Sales Tax. We do not have inventory or A/P on this system.

• Reviewed on 19/02/2016
Shannon H.
Accounting Administrator
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2016

"We have been using Cougar Mtn for 15 years now, I prefer it over Quickbooks."

Comments: Customer service is great, software is easy to use, updates are pretty painless. Transaction codes can be a little tricky and some of the windows are small and harder to read for us older folks! Overall I would recommend Cougar Mountain.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2016
Darthie A.
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2016

"Great software and very user friendly."

Comments: Currently using Cougar Mountain Pro 2016. The Software Assurance program is a must have. The customer service department (online and over the phone) is exceptional! Please continue to offer support for us Pro users for a very long time.

• Reviewed on 11/03/2016
Nick A.
president
  • Reviewed on 26/04/2016

"I have been using the Cougar Mountain for the last 30 years and I never change it till now"

Comments: one of the best software ans software support
I am an Accountant and i use it for all my clients

by Cougar Mountain Software on 26/05/2016

Thank You Nick.

• Reviewed on 26/04/2016
Tammy B.
Office
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2016

"I use the Denali Payroll and it is very easy to use and the software support people are great !"

Comments: Very easy to learn and easy to use

• Reviewed on 04/02/2016
Sarah J.
Hashmicro
Accounting, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/08/2017

"Learn something new everyday and great for the price"

Comments: Easy to use and learn

Pros: Cougar Mountain Denali software was user-friendly and able to access at any level. Very easy to use and the issues has been rectified easily

Cons: Some of the features cost extra money. poor code requires constant updates and can't able to look back at transactions

• Reviewed on 02/08/2017
Tom G.
Accountant
Philanthropy
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2016

"Great for the price, Mostly got it right..."

Pros: From an audit standpoint, batch processing, locked transactions and audit trail, easy G/L, full module integration. From an ease of use, straight forward accounting product.

Cons: From an ease of use, graphics and click area make for some clunky functionality. Payroll reporting should provide more detail to make sure quarterly reports can be completed in case Aatrix is unavailable.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2016
Anna F.
Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2015

"Denali is a great product"

Pros: Security (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems.

Cons: Time zones. They are in MST and we're in EST. Even though they do have CSR available by 9 am our time to solve most of our problems, they are not usually fully staffed until later in the morning.

• Reviewed on 23/11/2015
Don G.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2015

"20+ Years Of Use, Sorely Disappointed"

Pros: The only good thing I can say about it is the searches and reports using crystal reports versus report writer is lightning fast.

Cons: Our company purchased our first Cougar software in the early 90’s, and have updated to every new version along the way.
In July 2015 we bought the Denali version, and it has been terrible. Don’t touch it with a ten foot pole.
Hardly a day goes by that we don’t find new errors in the software. Spent a lot of dollars to get everything converted and our rep, while trying to be helpful, gets the run around from support. When I talk to support they tell me our support dollars have been used and they can’t report the problem to fix, even though it’s obviously a program error. We can’t generate purchase orders, because the system ignores items on back order. We can’t do a general ledger month to month comparison. I pointed out this problem in July and they said it may be fixed by year end. Many of our month end statements have to be changed because of wrong amounts, and the payroll has bugs. I feel that we are a Beta test sight and paying them to learn of all the errors.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2015
Kelly O.
Executive Director
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2015

"Amazing"

Comments: Cougar Mountain has excellent customer service and support. They are incredibly responsive and always ready to help and answer any questions. They follow up with you to ensure you are satisfied and don't have any questions. They go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. Their software is also incredibly straightforward and easy to use. I work for a non-profit so I purchase Denali with GL, Payroll, AP, Bank Rec and Donor Express management. The different modules correlate incredibly well together allowing the accounting to be super efficient. It was easy to learn and just makes sense. My sales representative went above and beyond to ensure I had everything I needed and was progressing with my installations and training appointments. He checked in with me regularly and truly cared that this software was meeting my needs. The installation techs were very friendly and ensured the software was up and running quickly. My trainer was incredibly helpful and walked me through how to use the program and different modules. He was thorough, responsive and very friendly. I highly recommend Cougar Mountain!

• Reviewed on 18/09/2015
Autumn S.
office admin
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2018

"software"

Comments: its slow at times and gets very expensive

Pros: the customer service is very friendly and helpful

Cons: its complicating at times and is very slow

by Cougar Mountain Software on 17/10/2018

Autumn,

We would love the opportunity to talk with you about the specific issues that you're seeing. One of our core values is "unparalleled customer success", and we will work tirelessly to ensure that your experience using our Denali software is second to none.

Is there a specific issue that I can address that would improve your experience with Denali?

• Reviewed on 12/10/2018
Annette H.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 26/11/2014

"CMS DENALI - Not Road Worthy"

Comments: I've used Cougar Mountain Software for about 25 years. Their ACT version was an excellent product. I had to convert to DENALI due to an OS upgrade. I have never been so disappointed in a Cougar Mountain product. Their reports are not nearly as robust as their ACT reports, their Payroll doesn't even provide the information you need to reconcile each month, let alone each year. I've had errors where unbalanced transactions post. Now, the general ledger and AP reports don't reconcile == and I have so little confidence in this software's reporting accuracy, I don't know where to even begin looking for a difference -- could be anywhere!! This review is for the 4.1.1 version. I am told the new version corrects some of the defects -- but they have miles and miles and miles and miles to go to catch up to their ACT version. At least their technical support people are pleasant. I've spent so much time on the phone with them, I'm wondering if we're related.

• Reviewed on 26/11/2014
Mehedul hasan M.
CEO & Founder
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2018

"Another Best"

Comments: For a combination of software, customer support, and account executive representation. Highly Recommended

Pros: Best customer service no doubt hare. Easy to work with CMS and Manages inventory access at any level.

Cons: Few add-ons cost extra money and the payroll has bugs. Can’t able to look back at transactions and it complex for the beginner

• Reviewed on 06/04/2018
Dan S.
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2014

"Very Satisfied"

Pros: I like the integration of the modules (ie.e purchase order, to inventory, to accounts payable, to general ledger). This speeds up all data entry. We really like being able to archive reports rather than printing reams.

Cons: I would like for the updates to be easier to install.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2014
Lezah S.
Business Manager
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2016

"Accurate, easy to use."

Comments: I used Cougar Mountain software for 15 years, changed briefly to a software that catered to our State reporting. I switched back to Cougar Mountain and I feel like I have a product I can rely on. LOVE-IT.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2016
Julie S.
City Clerk
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2016

"5 years experience"

Comments: We have had Cougar Mountain software for a while and are very happy with the product and customer services.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2016
Humbert A.
Administrator
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2009

"Admin"

Comments: We run a distribution company with about 8-10 routes, and I'm seriously looking into QB Premier. The one thing I know that cougar has better than QB's is their customer specific pricing. But we are looking to go with handhelds on our routes and the software that will communicate with the handhelds and Qb's will handle customer specific pricing.

Pros: Not Sure of anything significant

Cons: Not intuitive at all. Very expensive for support, and you will need support.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2009
Sandy H.
Bookkeeper
Civic & Social Organization
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2016

"We learn something new everyday, their customer service is exceptional"

Pros: The integration of all of the packages and the easy customization to your needs.
I like that you can get as much detail or as little detail as you require on your reports. The financial statements, trial balances, and audit trails work to assist you in finding any posting errors.

Cons: The payroll package. I do not like the payroll reports. I am used to easier payroll reports for my payroll taxes and I do not like that I have to use an outside Payroll company to be able to easily see what I owe. Yes I can figure it out but without the use of the outside Payroll company but with it, it is 1000 times faster. But for the extra cost of the outside company, I doubt my employer would even consider it. The customer service of Cougar Mountain is exceptional. No complaints here.

• Reviewed on 31/03/2016
David S.
Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Reviewed on 03/11/2015

"Best value in accounting software I have ever seen."

Pros: It can be tailored to fit nearly any need. With CMS I can get the Custom Modifications I need for some of my special needs. Right out of the box it has so many customizable options you can not imagine what all it can do. If you can not fid a way, just call CMS. They can and will find a way to fit everything you need.

Cons: It is not a pop-the-top and pour software. It can be a little complex for the beginner. But with time and use you can usually make it perform however you need.

• Reviewed on 03/11/2015