15 years helping Emirati businesses

Microsoft Excel Reviews

4.8 (18,924) Write a Review!

About Microsoft Excel

Data analysis solution that helps businesses manage spreadsheets, create graphs/charts, perform calculations, share projects, and more.

Learn more about Microsoft Excel

Pros:

It's versatile functionality and data handling is best in class. It's online help and a huge user community makes it easy to learn and collaborate.

Cons:

I struggled to do use the different settings. I had trouble with printing everything correctly but it was mostly user error.

Microsoft Excel ratings

4.3
4.3
4.7
4.6

9.1/10

Microsoft Excel has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 18,924 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft Excel before?

Filter reviews (18,924)

Samuel
Samuel
Founder and CEO in UK
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Best Spreadsheet Software (Microsoft Excel)

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Microsoft Excel is an excellent spreadsheet and productivity tool for Data entry, retrieval, analysis, inventory management. Excel files can be exported to various format including .csv, xps, pdf, html, ods and other file format.

Pros:

Customer support. Ease of use and setup. Collaborative features. Flexible file sharing. 30 days free trial.

Cons:

Maximum number of row is 1,048,576. If data size is very large, pc can freeze.

Saber
Saber
Customer accounting in Egypt
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Excel is indispensable and one of the basics of practical, academic and professional life.

5.0 last month New

Comments: My comprehensive experience with the program lasted for several years and was generally positive, as the program provides many tools and features that help in managing and analyzing data efficiently, whether in a personal, academic, or professional context. The continuous updates made to the program ensure continuous improvement of performance and the addition of new features that meet the changing needs of users. I use the program in my daily life to manage personal budgets, track expenses, and create spreadsheets to organize personal information such as lists of things to do and appointment schedules. I've also used it to create shopping lists and track spending to help with daily planning and personal management. This software for me is an essential thing in my life that I can never do without. I would like to express my thanks to the work team working on developing the program and thank them for the benefit they provide to people through this great work.

Pros:

I liked many positives about this program, including its ability to adapt to different uses and needs, as well as its effectiveness in transforming data into valuable information through powerful analysis and visualization tools. In addition, this program integrates well with the rest of the Microsoft ecosystem, which enhances productivity and facilitates collaboration, and provides multiple options for protecting files including passwords and specifying access permissions, ensuring the security of sensitive data. Despite its power, it features a relatively simple and easy-to-learn user interface, making it an effective tool for both beginners and professionals.

Cons:

Most of the drawbacks of this software can be effectively dealt with through proper training and taking full advantage of its features, or using other software solutions or techniques in case of urgent need.

Nathan
Nathan
Senior Software Engineer in US
Law Practice, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Well, it's an option

Comments: A tolerant level of frustration, like accepting your parents or siblings because they're your only family, but they irritate you to no end. It's there and it's all you got because Google cloud apps are blocked by your law firm.

Pros:

The pros are thin on this software. I'll list them by number. 1. The software is over 20 years old and has been refined and recreated numerous times over that period. 2. It makes creating lists very easy when copying and pasting information from tables on web forms. It intuitively pastes tables by column and row quite accurately 99% of the time and enables you to take one column as a list and paste it anywhere else. This utility reduces the tedium of quickly conveying information to co-workers considerably. 3. The ability to import data by comma or tab delimited text files is also exceedingly powerful in reducing time spent listing or reporting on specific items in a format that is not conducive to pasting into a table, or perhaps powershell script derived data outputted to a comma delimited text file. As a computer engineer, this takes hours and hours of time and compresses it into minutes. 4. The formulas, while available on Google or other spreadsheets, are also good pros and help with calculating anything you need to do in terms of math from other columns, in my case and in short, capacity and utilization percentages of storage devices on hand.

Cons:

What I like least are the frustrating things, and while few, these really irk me and stand out as a problem, especially in creating reports for people using the formulas, math and functions that spreadsheets are best known for. Case in point: The ability to copy and paste just the function into another spreadsheet that is open. It simply does not work unless you tab out of the existing cell and this is because, annoyingly, separate files, completely separate Excel spreadsheets, all act as if they're part of the same file. If I have one spreadsheet xlsx file open and a separate one open where I'm copying and pasting pertinent data from one to the other, it acts as if I'm in the same spreadsheet and the behavior is inexplicably wonky and unusable. I just want to copy the formula plain text as is into the cell of another spreadsheet because I want to use that same math for data related to other irrelevant items. Google Sheets does not do this at all. Maybe this was something Accountants wanted for some crazy reason that I'll never encounter as an engineer. But this is obnoxious and makes me scream at the computer often. The other con is that I do not like the non-intuitive UI and clunky way to simply save files. It pushes One Drive, and pushes it hard like non stop telemarketing calls. Also, I just prefer the old way to save files. Call me old fashioned but it was simple. I don't need the whole screen to change when cling the file tab.

Guy
Guy
Director in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

The original and best spreadsheet and data management tool

Comments: Couldn't run our business without it. Essential!

Pros:

Presenting, analysing, and reporting on data sets, using pivot tables, and showing data graphically. It's essential for our business, nothing else comes close

Cons:

Occasionally I'd like to see more graph options, but it really does cover most bases

Alexis
Manager in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excel Stick with What You Know

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Excel is an excellent software for a business that has multiple staff members working on one project. It is also a great tool to use when a business wants to add a visual concept to the data they have collected

Pros:

Excel can be accessed from anywhere or on any device. Almost any officer worker can use Excel because it is user-friendly. Excel is a great business tool for sharing and tracking important data across an organization.

Cons:

Excel does work well on Apple devices.

Gary
Gary
Owner in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

"Boosting Productivity: Excel's Essential Tools for Every Business"

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I've been using Microsoft Excel for years, and what stands out the most is its versatility. Whether it's organizing data, creating complex formulas, or generating insightful charts, Excel handles it all with ease. It's become an indispensable tool for managing my business efficiently.

Cons:

Occasional complexity in advanced features can be overwhelming.

Teresa
Software Tester in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Excel makes calculating easy

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Excel is a great tool for calculations. I also use it highlight something that isn't as expected. It's very easy to use and there are advanced features that I don't use that often.

Pros:

The best things about Excel for me is the sorting and autosum. I also use the find feature quite often.

Cons:

I haven't found anything about Excel that I do not like.

Flamur
Menagment regional in Serbia
Management Consulting, 501–1,000 Employees

The first and best calculation sheet and information the board device"

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Introducing, investigating, and giving an account of informational collections, utilizing turn tables, and showing information graphically. It's fundamental for our business, nothing else comes close

Cons:

Once in a while I might want to see more diagram choices, however it truly covers most bases

Priyanka
Priyanka
Software developer in India
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Excel review

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: It was good. After learning how to operate complex things, it worka wonder

Pros:

Excel provide lot of things like data import. Few days back i wanted to import 41lakh record csv which i was unable to do so as per the limitation, but due to addin and data import i was able to do it. So I found it really amazing. Even the functions are also good like we can do maths and other operations easily. Filtration, sorting are also some more good things. Even now using onedrive and other tools we can share excel among team, so it gets updated and latest version could be seen by all. Pivot is also good feature when dealing with lot of data

Cons:

For using excel to the fullest we require some training. As i was importing 41lakh data i was not aware to do it, so i needed to google and youtube, then i came to know such thing exists. Even after so many years of using this product like from school college days we are using it but I am not aware of all the functionalities. That also shows how vast is excel.

Vijay
Vijay
Student in Jamaica
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Microsoft Excel is the best spreadsheet productivity tool on the market.

Pros:

Microsoft Excel has all the necessary features needed for me to properly complete spreadsheet-related tasks.

Cons:

Microsoft Excel needs to work on their mobile user-interface.

Robert
Robert
E-Commerce Marketplace Manager in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Spreadsheet Data Management & Analytics

Comments: It is great for simple data and quick data filtering. It can quickly fix issues if you are using it for inventory editing and can come in handy for stand alone projects. If you add a lot of different equations in it or use it for larger data, it can become a pain using it. Since it is program on your computer and not cloud based, it can out perform tasks that competitors would struggle with that are cloud based.

Pros:

This software is a company standard use for a lot of other programs. It can filter data, create .csv files for upload and download of data, and handles equations to help with data analytics. There are a lot of guides on this program online if you are struggling with a problem and there are plugins that you can use to help make your job faster. Many companies have this as a standard so sending files to others is usually not a problem.

Cons:

It is not meant to be used as a database for large data. It can lag out after you get to 60K lines of data. The biggest issue I have with this program is that it likes to convert large number text to scientific notation and you have to constantly do workarounds to prevent it from happening. It has some minor glitches if you have too many different files open at the same time. It is not the greatest with group collaboration because the files are meant to be used as one user at a time. You have to also manually save your files from time to time as you are working. Although you can often times get your file back if it wasn't saved and the program shuts off, it still is a practice you have to get into a habit of doing.

Ozlem
Business Consultant in UK
Financial Services Software, Self Employed

Almost essential

Comments: I use Excel each day in my business and in my own life and I have been utilizing it throughout recent years and I never had any issue and the best thing is it's an across the board apparatus and no compelling reason to utilize different devices like 2 or 3 devices to complete the work.

Pros:

Excel is my go-to application for everything from straightforward data sets to more intricate revealing and dashboards. The most significant part of Microsoft Excel is that when I use it consistently for accounting page angles in my business. I love that it is simple and easy to understand in helping me with assembling my rotate tables. I can use the lines and sections effectively where it is not difficult to put any information data effortlessly in a solitary sheet. The wide range of functions it offers might be frustrating at first. However, once you get the hang of it, it becomes one of the most useful software in your life.

Cons:

You cannot recover the password for a file once you have lost it. You can't work together (in a group climate) which you can do in Google Sheets. It very well might be difficult to show the condition for an all-encompassing component notwithstanding a few cells that the condition is identifying with if the worksheet is immense.

Ajit Johnson
Instructor of Medicine in US
Biotechnology, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excel: The Best Way to Organize Your Data

Comments: I have had a positive experience with Microsoft Excel. It is a powerful tool that has helped me to be more efficient and organized in my work. I have used it to create spreadsheets, track data, and perform various calculations. It is user-friendly and has multiple features that make it a valuable tool for anyone who needs to work with a small amount of data.

Pros:

I use Excel almost on a daily basis. I like many things about it, but some of my favorite features are the ability to quickly create charts and graphs and the ability to perform quick calculations. I also like the fact that Excel is very user-friendly and with advanced features that are easy to learn.

Cons:

Sometimes the auto-formatting can be disadvantageous, for example in my case it auto-formats "Gene Names" into dates.

Amanda
Bookkeeper in Canada
Accounting Software, 2–10 Employees

Excel just makes life better

Comments: Having multiple reports to create and a large amount of data to sort out I would not want to have to do this without excel, that's for sure. Pivot tables for instance, dramatically cut downtime spent trying to figure out what it is I need at that time. It's done almost instantly, it really is great.

Pros:

When I started using excel several years ago I had never seen it or anything like it before. Now I could not imagine life without it. I use it in my spare time just for fun. The features are incredible. I learn something new everyday and it's exciting, especially for someone in my profession where many tasks are time sensitive. Everything about it makes your life easier. My excitement has even rubbed off on to my co-worker who is learning new things everyday and before that never gave it a second thought. If I could have a computer for just one reason it would absolutely be for Excel!

Cons:

Tough question. Maybe if I had to say something, it would be the error messages. But then again you can always turn them off!

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Excelling at the Game.

Comments: Microsoft Excel is the total package, it's excellent for keeping data in spreadsheets. However, this is by no means a replacement for databases. Although the more basic functions of Excel is pretty straightforward and intuitive, the more advanced features do require the users to have a certain amount of training. Training on the other hand, is quite easy to come by, as a certified Microsoft Office Specialist myself (Office 2010), the training that is not as difficult as people say it is as long as you put in the effort to learn it, the benefits in terms of productivity is well-worth it. To me, in my opinion, Excel is at the top of the game when it comes to spreadsheet applications, other ones just don't feel as intuitive as Excel and that is where I feel Excel has the edge over them.

Pros:

+ Really easy to use. Some training might be needed to fully take advantage of its features. + Mistakes can be avoided really easily if you know how to use their formulas. You don't need to manually count and insert all the data by yourself, it's automated once you get the hang of it. + A lot of data visualization options to choose from. Data analysis is made simple with this, really useful if you have a plethora of data to work with. + There's a 'free-mium' online version available. It's essentially free but you can fork out some money if you want to purchase it (There are some differences between the free Online version and the retailed software, and they're all listed in Microsoft Excel Online's support documentation). The online version also allows the files to be shared to, and be editied multiple people, which is really useful if they are working on the same project in different areas where they are unable to get the files in person. + Integration with OneDrive (Microsoft's Cloud service) for both the online and retail version is available. + The business subscription deal isn't expensive considering it being bundled with other Microsoft Office applications.

Cons:

- Spelling mistakes won't be auto-corrected like they do in Microsoft Word. It would a pretty useful feature if it's applied here. - Lower end computers might have some difficulties working with spreadsheets that have a lot of data. Optimization could be better, especially how most office workstations do not have expensive hardware to work with.

Christian
Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Spreadsheets with Power

Comments: Excel has been my go to for financial statement preparation (as an accountant). I have used it for the accumulation of tax data and preparation of tax forms. At one point, I programmed Excel spreadsheets to do many of its own functions for these very forms. Today, I continue to use Excel as a way to track data for the church I serve. I use it for time tracking, information gathering and formatting, and to track the data I maintain of people and thing in the church.

Pros:

I would consider myself to be a professional Excel user. I have been using Excel for more than 20 years and I cannot see using any other type of spreadsheet software. I started with Lotus (a predecessor of Excel) and have not looked back when Excel became the software to use. I am also one of those people who takes to using new technology relatively quickly. Excel provides so much in the way of capability that there are some aspects of Excel that I am not familiar with, even though I am no longer a daily user. The help function (the question mark in a box) is very user friendly and there are also many help topics that reside within the software. If you are asking a really tough or programming question, there are also online forums for those who would be considered power users. For those who are simply in need of a place to gather information and make some simple calculations, I also would not look any further than Excel. With the Microsoft 365 subscription, you get all of the most recent updates and functionality without the high price of buying the software license each time the software gets an upgrade.

Cons:

The only con would be if you purchase the full license. When you subscribe through Office 365, you get all the latest updates without having to purchase a new license each time. If you are not familiar with spreadsheets, Excel's functions and tool bars can be a bit daunting to look at. But, if you take some time and familiarize yourself with them, they are quite logical in their layout and functions. You can also customize the toolbar to include the functions you need the most. It just takes a little time to do so.

Ayesha
Application Consultant in Sri Lanka
Financial Services Software, 51–200 Employees

Best software which makes my life easier

Comments: I've been using Excel from my collage up to now, it means more than 10 years. Still I couldn't find any better substitute which can replace Excel. Now I use Excel at both my work and also for my personal stuff. All the formulas, pivots, connections are really helpful for the business use. Same time I use Excel for my personal purposes such as an expense tracker and a budget planner. If you can become an expert on Excel its gonna really help you to build your confidence at work and also to do your work faster than the others. All Time Best Spreadsheet Software.

Pros:

Well, I would just say Everything, but to more specific, I really love to work in the Excel by using short keys, it helps you to speed your work. Then it would be the formulas and the most useful would be vlookup/hlookup. Those are the things which makes my life easier on a daily basis. I usually don't even open the calculator no matter how simple the calculation is, it will always be Excel. Also I really love the Pivots and tables which are really cool, accurate and nice. Also everything can be customized in the exact way we wanted. Same time its very secure, you can protect the worksheet or the book. Having all these great features I use Excel even for any documentation needs instead of Word.

Cons:

Am just a normal user who used Excel at work and also for my personal analysis/documentation purposes. But I'm not an Excel pro who knows Macro and all that. Hence this software satisfies all my needs, so I cant think of any cons at the moment provided that I don't even get the maximum out of this amazing software. The only issue I have here in Excel is there is no inbuilt auto correction or a grammar, spell checker. I know we can always use F7 for that but it would be great if it is possible to underline the missed spell words by the the time we are typing them.

Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

Excel-essential for everyone

Comments: I'm an Excel user since my childhood and it is essential for every profession. I had a long journey with Excel still I didn’t find any better alternative for this spreadsheet software and this is the secret of success for remaining No 1 position. More love for Excel >>>

Pros:

If you are a kid and you are trying to interact with PC for the first time, Excel is first coming for the mind for initial learning. Since my childhood, excel did a lot for me and even I can't imagine a better alternative for this. We can do numerous things for our educational purposes and business purposes apart from some basic real mathematics. The macro function feature of Excel is really awesome and we can customize our final output as per our requirements. It contains all the examples for itself for various equations and this helps a lot when we are very new to any set of functions and these suggestions really save our priceless money. The latest versions of Excel support various file formats and also we can save our outputs as a PDF format for our convents. I'm really impressed with Excel algorithm because it was a cracker for big equations and we can get the results within a second. The mobile version of Excel also doing a pretty decent job for their users and we don’t need transferring cables to access our files within various platforms because the cloud service from office 365 is really cool.

Cons:

The Excel interface remains the same since their first appearance and we need some improvements in their appearance. Their pricing for the Office 365 package is comparatively high when compared to the other similar kind of alternatives. We are missing inbuilt auto-correction tool in excel and I hope this feature will be added soon.

Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The gold standard spreadsheet software for a reason.

Comments: With such a versatile software, there are definitely areas of possible improvement. The good side is that Excel is not hampered by these tiny blips; it definitely is possible to work around these limitations and annoyances quite easily. I will say that I find some of the features to be less intuitive than other spreadsheets, but the customization abilities and integration of Excel into popular software modes can't be beat.

Pros:

This is a must have spreadsheet software; it's used everywhere for a reason. From making simple charts to making sortable lists, everyone from temporary summer students at the office all the way to the IT department all use Excel for their various needs. The built in functions allow for basic "automation" of different calculations so that you don't have to do it by hand. More advanced users can design macros in VB to integrate advanced functions and forms into the spreadsheet. It also copies and pastes into different Microsoft applications like powerpoint and word for seamless coordination between programs.

Cons:

There are so many different functions that it can be overwhelming to orient someone at first. However, it is easy to use the simple functions of the software immediately; it's just the advanced functions that take time. The problem that I always have is resizing rows or columns - you can input a numerical size, but it means absolutely nothing - I don't know what the units are, whether it's pixels, or just some arbitrary size. Additionally, the automatic formatting is awful, especially when it comes to inputting ratios in the format X:X. Excel converts them to completely unreadable jibberish, and even when I reformat the cells to be text, the next person I send it to often has the same issue - they'll see jibberish like 010542349080398 instead of the ratio that was input.

Aaron
Aaron
Teacher in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Using Excel for Data Organization

Comments: My overall experience with Excel has been positive. There is a decent learning curve, so if you plan on using it, be sure to set aside some time to learn about the different features and how you can make them work best for you. If you are looking for something simple, it may not be the best choice for you. But if you are looking for ways to easily input scores and get lots of helpful data back, then Excel would be a good choice for you.

Pros:

Microsoft Excel is a powerful program. As a teacher, I deal with a lot of student data. Excel allows me to organize this data and set up formulas that break down the numbers for me. Some of the Excel sheets I have created set up basics for me like individual student averages, median scores, etc. It also allows conditional formatting, that automatically assigns selected color choices based on the data. For instance, I have my gradebook set up that scores that fall below 60% automatically change to a red color background. This allows me to easily see the data overview as I look at my different classes. Microsoft Excel has allowed me to analyze data more effectively as a teacher keep all of my scores in one convenient location.

Cons:

The setup of an Excel sheet can be a little confusing at times. It takes some time practice to get everything in the right spot and looking the way you want it to look. Part of the reason for this is because there are so many options with Excel. It can be a little overwhelming for someone who is not a power user. But once you figure out what you want to do, it is easy enough to use the help features and set up the sheet as you would like it to be.

Ladona
Facilities Officer in Jamaica
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Excel Is A Very Powerful Tool

Comments: Many thumbs up!!!

Pros:

This software is built to support the simplest to the most complex requirements needed in the workplace. Before becoming a Facilities Officer I worked as an energy engineer in the solar energy field for more than five years. My colleagues and I were not only required to undertake technical tasks such as conducting site assessments, but we were also embedded in a sales driven environment. Weekly reports had to be submitted about the sales potential that were garnered from customers we interacted with, thereby keeping track of all the quotes that were sent out, and track whether they resulted in actual sales or not. Each of these had to be entered into an excel spreadsheet and tabulated somewhat manually every week and categorized by product type. This was a daunting task and none of us enjoyed doing this. I thought that Xcel ld have the necessary functions so I brought my home with me one weekend, and did my research. After more than 15 hours doing so I was able to create a far better spreadsheet that made the work extremely simple. The formulas that Excel had searched a master sheet by sales rep name, the amount and product type for each quote. Sub tabs were created, one for each rep. By typing in a start date and end date our manager/supervisor was provided with all the details to take to the weekly management meetings Later on, in less than a year that document guided the developer to create a web based sales tracking software which extended beyond my department and branch

Cons:

Nothing is lacking as far as simple to the most complex use. I still use this software on a daily basis as a FACILITIES officer now, to keep track of my budget and maintenance works for various amenities such as the generator, pumping systems, air conditioning systems and also Excel was great and one of the most efficient software that was and still being used to keep track of all of the companies fixed assets prior to entering into a register. I have no issues with Excal at all. It will always have its place within various if not all workplace functions.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Excel help my working efficiency

Comments: Most time in regular using excel is very good in hand. And it is compatible with all other Microsoft family software, so it's output data can be directly used in other related software tools, like chart, grids, files and data sources.
For usually using excel tool is enough for different users in many fields, such as student, science researching, accounting, financial calculation, engineering data analysis or event programmer developing software on it.

Pros:

1. it's formula function totally replaced my calculator tool or similar ones. 2. convenient cell operation for formula propagate or serial copying 3. if error occurs in the formula in cell, it is easy to check each step's result to find the root cause. 4. powerful online help for current operation focus as formula, operation, variable change, parameter usage, etc. 5. Macro recording function make dummy user can repeat the operation in huge data. 6. More flexible VBA scripts support make it possible build a easy trigger and running tool software. 7 widely used drawing function make it show more fabulous graphic with text to explain the data. 9, powerful statistic data visualization function make it easy to show the data in many axis

Cons:

1. sometime there is interruption and without saving the latest version or recover the latest version in time. 2. free trail is limited time frame. 3. can not get password recovered in the excel file if you lost your password to open it. 4. when frequently processing huge data like more than 1 million rows, the file size will be increase much more, and it is not decrease right after you delete these huge data. 5. auto transfer from outside data source is not efficient, like convert txt data to excel cells, more than 1 million row will cost a lot of time to converting.

Rida
Rida
Quality Management System Coordinator in Pakistan
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Microsoft Excel - A versatile Software

Comments: MS Excel is overall a very great tool. I have been using this software for the past six years. It helped throughout my academic period, and I would give main credit to this software as it made my life easier. I would highly recommend this software to the youngster, and I would suggest they watch beginner videos of this software on youtube.

Pros:

Excel has entirely different features, and it eventually substitutes some manual procedures like calculating on excel sheets are much simpler and safer than calculating manually. It helps me in managing my data and keeps my records on a day today. There are a lot of facilities through which I can perform multitasking through this software. I can work on two or multiple sheets at the same time. Functions like SUM, AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN, MAX, and many others have played a vital role in saving time and making work more efficient. In short, MS Excel is a versatile software.

Cons:

Excel needs a user with proper knowledge about its features and tools. Initially, I could not make the most use of Excel because of a lack of knowledge about the tools and not being familiar with its features, so the process of doing and completing the task was much more complex and sophisticated for me. So at first, it could be a little difficult for the beginners.

Gábor
IT Consultant in Hungary
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

A software in need is a software indeed

Comments: I live in and writing this review from Hungary, yet I am sure in other nations as well, MS Excel and Office tools are the leaders, but not the only sw. used to deal with a table file, in Hungary we do not even call them "documents", "table files", simply refer to them as "Excel" that is how big impact this program has made on our life. MS Excel is on the market around for nearly 40 years, one of the most widely-can-be-used sw. on the market and I think is the best. Happy to have it, personally I am utilizing Office kit from my elementary school days and will in the future. Yes, there are some rivals to MS Excel, yet it is still the uncrown king. You may give a try to its rivals, there are free and paid versions too, so as online version are available.

Pros:

Tons of educational stuff, examples, tricks, cheat sheets, "homework" like tasks are available. You may get it for free, if you are a student, genuine activation keys for a nominal price can be found in the net, yet can be used with a Microsoft account for free (limitations, less feature are obviously there), with great functionality. MS Excel is widely-known I reckon in the planet and used by numerous governments, also in Hungary. In the governmental entities, employees, officers use Office software daily, so it is thought until and even after the uni. Companies, literally in every-single sector utilizing Excel (or Excel-like sw.) daily. The features MS Excel a bit too enormous for one single user, simply not all the functions, and capabilities can be known. Small companies like mine, has an Excel for everything, follow up on the expenses, make statistics, handle a table of contracts and important info in them, instead of a CRM, export reports data into, plan the sw. development activities there, embed file in Excels, put pictures in, track daily activities, even you may have excel with VB knowledge to create new files with macros, you can make more filtering, read-write data, manipulate other Excel documents and so on. Also an important feature, you can lock you sheets, your workbook with a password, so as you can protect your Excel Visual Basic codes. During your private life, Excel will be your help to do your tasks. 3rd party add-ons are available.

Cons:

You have the possibility to share a workbook and simultaneously edit it with others, if the doc. saved to an on-line store, you can edit it on-line or on your on-premise, these function needs to be developed furthermore, sometimes not that smooth, incompatibly due to these versions, loss of functions, occur. Writing a program to use other docs. data can be not that smooth at first, its programming language VB could be better. You can crack the Excel workbook password protection if you check it on the web. Bugs can appear, like resetting a font to the "inherited" one, not showing the result but instead of the formula, not properly loading a different time and language zone created Excel according your settings, showing English formulas instead your own language. Excel also tends to bet slow or even crash when you supply it too much data (but like Power Query, Power Pivot and other, newly introduced "tools" aiming to make these better). Consuming RAM, hard drive could be better. On the IOS, Android apps world, Excel I am not sure the best, nor the leader (as MS got aware this "market" a bit later). When moving from away from your "initial" network or VPN to a different one, it tends to not be able to save your work or give you dialog boxes to re-save your work or overwrite the existing file. Conversion between other text file types, data inputs, reading, opening, editing inherited data, handling dates, are some points Excel can give you hard times.

Humberto
Humberto
Profesor de educacion fisica in Venezuela
Professional Training & Coaching, 51–200 Employees

With Excel you can sort the information easily and quickly, and separate tables and columns

Comments: Drawing graphics quickly and easily
Printing facilities being possible to preview the print on screen. You can print vertically and horizontally
Files can be protected with a password for greater security
Manage headers and footers, titles, margins, automatic numbering of pages, automatic insertion of date and time
Allows manipulating information directly, moving or changing size objects
Allows you to see two or more applications on the screen at the same time
Realization of arithmetic operations with formulas

Pros:

Use the conditional format Excel users can format their spreadsheets using different color tones, bold and italic, to differentiate between the columns and bring the most important data to the front. This function can be useful in the presentation of accounting information, such as the benefit before taxes and the balance that will be transferred by the company. Users can select an appropriate color scheme using the quick analysis button, and then by using the Format tab. Help identify trends When presenting the data in the form of tables or graphs, it may be useful to include middle lines, which explicitly detail the key trends that emerge from the information. This can help demonstrate key points to other users in a direct way - for example, an executive from a different department during a board meeting. Excel allows trend lines to extend beyond the graph, to provide predictions of activity in the future - and such forecasts can help companies develop their future strategy. Collect data Excel can be used to carry information from different files and documents together, so it exists in one place. As well as raw data and information from other spreadsheets, it is possible to import text and images. Other objects can be added using the Insert tab, spreadsheets or they can be added to the file.

Cons:

Disadvantages of Excel Some people consider graphics insufficient or of poor quality It is a payment program that does not have an affordable price available to everyone It is a program unable to handle dates before 1990 Information may be lost when the application is divided into too many files Files take up a lot of space Viruses can be attached to an Excel file through macros It is not an application of which one can be self-taught, but in general courses are needed to be able to get the necessary party It is not useful at the domestic level Does not work to be customized with financial subsets Each operation must be entered manually It requires, for your needs, a powerful computer and in good condition Only compatible with Windows and Mac It usually presents unexpected errors that cause the program to close abruptly and unrecoverable data is lost