• Overall
    4.8 /5
    4.7 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.9 /5

About Katana

Smart MRP software for small&scaling manufacturers. Integrates with Shopify, WooCommerce, Xero, QuickBooks, Zapier and has an open API.

Learn more about Katana

Zach C.
Ops Ninja
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees

"Smooth Operator"

Comments: It has been great, highly recommend for small to medium business. Very user friendly!

Pros: Katana has made our day to day business so much more fluid and stress free. It was easy to build out the product lines, upload product sku's and flip the switch on going live. Game changer!

Cons: On the production schedule front, hoping that the software will eventually lump all the tasks together, I have multiple consumers that order the same item, each order is its own line item instead of being lumped into a group, so our production team needs to scrub the tasks before production starts as to make sure they capture each item, as to not create redunancy in work.

Klaus K.
Management
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2020

"First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system"

Comments: For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros: Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons: There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

• Reviewed on 21/08/2020
Ellowyn I.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2019

"Great choice for small manufacturer"

Comments: I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros: Very simple user-interface
Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently
Continual feature upgrades
Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks
Very responsive customer service
Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons: The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly.
There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Thank you for the feedback!

• Reviewed on 06/09/2019
Elle R.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2020

"Cannot recommend this app enough"

Comments: Honestly has changed my life for the better. I'm no longer running out of supplies and having to do emergency orders (hello, extra shipping fees!). This keeps me organized and helps me to better my time management. I can see every open order that I need to fulfill and planning out supply orders is a breeze. I've recommended this app to every other maker I know because I am that in love with it. I'll use this app for the rest of my life because it is the best thing that's happened to my business in a long time.

Pros: This software legitimately changed the way my business runs. It keeps me accountable for the hundreds of supplies I use on a daily basis and keeps me organized in a way that no lists, or other apps, ever have.

Cons: I can honestly say nothing, this app works so seamlessly and wonderfully. Maybe the load speeds can be a little laggy, but that's mostly because I have a lot of materials I've input. Definitely not an app downfall or issue at all.

Elias T.
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2020

"Simple but Effective Inventory Management"

Comments: We've saved countless manhours on tracking inventory. It also makes purchasing decisions a lot easier, with the ability to know at a glance how much of each product you need to buy.

Pros: PROS: - really easy to use, great interface - support is responsive, although we didn't have much need for support thanks to a very thorough and detailed knowledge base - reasonably priced compared to other inventory management systems - good integrations with Shopify, Quickbooks, etc - it made inventory tracking a lot easier for us as a manufacturer. The manhours saved on doing Excel updates to inventory would definitely cost more if you run complex operations

Cons: CONS: - Integration with Quickbooks is a little iffy if you don't login to Quickbooks beforehand - It doesn't have a multicurrency feature for purchase orders (when you buy inventory in a currency different from your main currency) - It's not easy to account for freight costs in the costs of buying raw materials - You can't work in 2 browser tabs without paying for 2 users, this can be a little frustrating

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for the valuable feedback! Some of your suggestions are already in our roadmap for 2021. Glad to see you are saving time and resources with Katana!

• Reviewed on 20/12/2020
Kyle K.
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"Streamline Any Business With KATANA"

Comments: The customer service is honestly the best customer service I have ever experienced. They are quick to respond, clear at explaining, very knowledgeable of the software, and great to work with. Rep even made me videos walking me through the parts of the process that were hanging me up.

Pros: The ability to streamline production, inventory and invoicing is a huge time saver and really helps with organization. I feel it is a great value for the money that you are spending and it

Cons: There is quite a bit of setup to get everything up and running and everything really functions together. This is not Katana's fault and they really have made it easy. Once everything (materials, products, production recipes) are set up, it runs like a charm.

by Katana MRP on 09/09/2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Lucille S.
Co-Founder
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"A must for any manufacturing startup"

Comments: Katana has been an absolute game changer for our cosmetics manufacturing business. Prior to this, we were using an inventory management system more suited to home crafters. It was woefully inadequate for our needs, but traditional MPR software was too complicated and expensive. Katana offers the perfect balance between powerful, seamless tracking and a user-friendly interface. It saves us hours of planning time each week and has greatly reduced errors. There's no way we'd be able to scale our quickly-growing business without this software.

Pros: Intuitive, user-friendly interface and powerful, seamless inventory tracking.

Cons: We don't like the per-user pricing model.

by Katana MRP on 30/09/2019

Thank you for showing the love!

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Zach S.
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2020

"Incredible product and support"

Pros: We tried several ERP systems for our manufacturing business without a lot of luck. Katana, without question, is one of the best and more affordable options we've come across. Coupled with their incredible support, we wouldn't recommend anything else.

Cons: While they're super responsive to feature requests, Katana doesn't include an API or Hook.

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for your review! We will be working on opening an API very soon.

Paddy W.
Inventory Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2020

"Great software with an amazing user interface"

Pros: - User interface
- Ease of use
- Set up was straight forward

Cons: - Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for the review. And, indeed, we are on weekly basis adding new features :)

Justin C.
CEO + Founder
Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2020

"Katana"

Pros: Ease of use with material inventory and production task management.

Cons: Katana pulls order information from Shopify, and the info as it appears in Katana is always rearranged and never in the same order.

by Katana MRP on 30/01/2020

Thank you for the review! Regarding Shopify orders appearance - just wanted to let you know we are working to improve the user experience on this!

• Reviewed on 28/01/2020
Beryl S.
Veterinary Software, 2-10 Employees

"Katana"

Comments: On time ordering, not running out of stock, being aware of all aspects of the business.

Pros: It is the only product I have found which helps run my entire process from purchasing raw materials to selling end products.

Cons: It sometimes gets complicated. Luckily, support is good.

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the review!

Ashley L.
COO
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Love this option for our manufacturing/ecommerce brand"

Pros: I love the ease of setup with this tool, and the ability to integrate it so well with all of our other platforms.

Cons: I wish the Lot Tracking came standard because it is a health and safety issue and should be included in the basic plan in my opinion.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your feedback!

Brandon B.
Co-Owner
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2020

"Simple inventory solution with BOM"

Pros: A simple solution for tracking ingredients and manufacturing operations tied to work orders and final products.

Cons: Covers most the basics but missing some nice to have features like custom metadata/fields for orders and the ability to bulk modify delivery date. I also would like simple ways to adjust work orders and inventory for scrap or loss during production. Seems there are workarounds for these though.

by Katana MRP on 08/06/2020

THank you for sharing your feedback!

• Reviewed on 31/05/2020
Bartosz S.
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2020

"Great product"

Pros: How easy it is to track the ingredients needed for your products. It gives you a very clear picture of where are you at with your production.

Cons: It's still relatively young product and there are few features missing here and there. However the Katana team seems to be very responsive and constantly improving the product.

by Katana MRP on 18/06/2020

• Reviewed on 10/06/2020
Nick L.
Advisor
  • Reviewed on 23/03/2021

"Really useful for manufacturers"

Pros: Extremely useful for those with raw materials -> manufacturing -> finished goods -> COGS This process can be very tedious and Katana has saved days of work each month.

Cons: Having a dashboard for analytics might help

• Reviewed on 23/03/2021
Jared H.
VP Operations
Food Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2021

"The MRP system I wish I'd always had"

Comments: Katana's awesome, full stop. I've been working with manufacturing businesses for years, and for years I've lamented Xero's relatively weak inventory management system. Two years ago I tried literally every MRP app I could find to plugin to Xero; they were all pretty bad. Along comes Katana, which maybe was around earlier but was "new to me" just this year, and ... wow. Mostly, it Just Works. The Xero integration works seamlessly for bills and sales orders, which speeds AP/AR quite a bit. 90% of the tool's value is outside of Xero though, and I now have a permanently-pinned Katana tab in my browser for tracking everything in the production flow from raw materials purchasing, to production, to sale, to reconciliation of remaining materials and product stock. It's great. Is it perfect? Not quite. They need to do some performance work, as load times are often a little sluggish. Also, it would be nice to see finer-grained automation, and better contact syncing. But overall, I'm delighted.

Pros: - It's really easy to use
- Makes it easy to track materials on hand, reorder, etc
- Calculates margin including labor cost
- Xero integration works perfectly
- Zapier integration makes it really flexible from an automation standpoint
- Really lots of other stuff ... it's truly an excellent product and an outlier in a pretty clunky space.

Cons: It can be a little slow, and the contact syncing could be more robust.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2021
Samantha W.
Warehouse Manager

"Highly Recommend!"

Comments: We love it. We use this app to help with our growing business. It has made it so easy to keep up with reordering and be able to manage inventory between two stores! The Katana team makes it so easy to use and offer a lot of help! Highly recommend!

Pros: Ease of Use
Easy Implementation
Reorder Options

Cons: I wouldn't say this is a con- but we are really excited for the bar code scanning option they plan to roll out in 2021!

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your review! We are excited to have you as a customer.

Mikaela M.
Production Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/03/2021

"Intuitive and well designed"

Comments: Katana has been an asset to our inventory management and production planning. Previously, we were using QuickBooks desktop to manage all inventory. Katana has streamlined our production planning and made it overall more efficient. We have not yet implemented tasks and assigned employees to certain builds, but we appreciate that there is room to grow as we continue to use the system. We continue to use QuickBooks desktop as a separate operating system for accounting purposes and can easily do journal entries to input inventory quantities. We are looking forward to the multi-currency platform Katana will hopefully have soon.

Pros: It is intuitive and easy to implement. I like that you can prioritize builds so if we are short on product I can customize which particular build for it to go to.

Cons: I wish we could add materials to sales orders. Sometimes we sell different parts and it would be nice to add those to a sales order.

Atlas R.
Operations Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/03/2021

"Great Software for Custom Production"

Comments: We switched to this app to help manage our custom product orders. It is really great at helping us track our costs and meet our delivery standards. It connects natively to Shopify which is a big bonus and helps us pull for our orders more efficiently. It also allows us to manage multiple stores/locations easily and effectively.

Pros: The support is always helpful - they've been quick to answer and they have always been able to answer our questions. We've had this app for about 2 months now, and we are loving it. The adjustment was fairly simple and easy for staff, importing our data was easy and straight forward for setup.

Cons: Would be great if we could count inventory via barcode scanner instead of manually entering qty's and then importing.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self Employed

"Great Inventory Software"

Comments: Knowing the real numbers of what I have in stock, what I need to order, how much it will cost me, and how much profit I will accrue is essential for making it to next year. In Katana, these figures are easy to find and keep up with. If I have a question, support is quick to respond and helpful. They are a great company to deal with!

Pros: The simple progression from Items to Buy, Make, and Stock to Sell makes it easy for me to maintain best practices in tracking my inventory. The flexibility in making stock adjustments made transitioning easy from confusions in my previous software into an ongoing accounting of what I have. Likewise, integrating with Shopify and Quicken was seamless.

Cons: A more complete inclusion of customer information from Shopify would be useful.

David A.
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2020

"Just what I needed"

Comments: Overall I have been very pleased. I know have a solid grasp of my inventory and am informed when I need to reorder materials. This has been a real game changer for my business and has allowed us to scale our manufacturing.

Pros: Katana integrates with my Shopify Site very easily and makes bundling products on my Shopify so much easier to track. We also make candles and kits in house. Katana makes tracking inventory so much easier allowing me to know without guess or counting my materials how much of any particular object I can produce at any given time.

Cons: It would be nice if there were barcodes, but I hear feature is coming soon. It would also be nice if I sell out of an object that is apart of a bundle that it would then make the bundle unavailable on my shopify site. I believe this is also in the works.

by Katana MRP on 21/07/2020

Thank you for the review! Indeed, both mentioned features are on our roadmap.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2020
Kelsey K.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

"Lifechanging"

Comments: We make to order and we make to stock. We make standardized products and we also make private label custom products. Katana is the first platform I have found that supports what we do while also being affordable for a new business.

Pros: Katana delivers a lot of value. It fully covers my MRP needs while being affordable to a scaling business.

Cons: I would also like an option to dropship the products that I make for clients and I don't see a way to do that.

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Kyle L.
MRP/owner
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Great MRP tool, some flaws but very responsive and receptive customer service and dev team"

Comments: Great MRP for small manufacturers. I find that Katana saves a lot of time and makes it easy to track inventory. Saves me many "counting" trips to different locations.

Pros: Super easy to use, pricing is more clear and streamlined than when we started. Support is great; not always the quickest but 1-2 days usually gets us a thorough and well covered answer to our questions. You can send them suggestions and they will tally in to their dev schedule. Saves a lot of time and nice to be able to access it from any computer.

Cons: There currently (2020) is no option to add fixed costs to POs. This makes tracking cost of inventory a little tougher. I also cannot edit PO templates. Having these features would make cost tracking and insurance claims easier. There is also no support for contractor per unit manufacturing but a simple way to get around this would be to set contractor tasks and payment by the hour and make each unit take 1 hour to finish. This does though make it difficult to track time if you need to track how long production will take. Fortunately we have a good idea of how long something will take without the help of Katana.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your feedback and glad to see you are getting value from Katana. We have also noted down your suggestions.

Danielle D.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2020

"Helped Us Take Our Business to the Next Level"

Pros: Clean interface, well organized and thought out and modern in its features. Integrates well with lots of other software I use, including Quickbooks and Shopify. Customer service is absolutely top notch, and the tutorials are very helpful.

Cons: If you have zero experience with MRPs like I did, it may take you a little while to figure everything out. But the customer service team really goes above and beyond to answer any questions and walk you through anything you're having issues with. If there was one feature I wish was available that is not currently, it's barcode scanner integration. That would make updating my inventory and adding new knives to inventory much easier.

by Katana MRP on 30/01/2020

Thank you for the review and support! We are surely working on enabling barcode scanning soon.

• Reviewed on 27/01/2020
Shawn L.
Owner/ Head of Operations
Food Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2019

"Inventory and Sales Simplified"

Comments: Excellent. Everything about using Katana has been great. The team there walked me through the product and helped me set it up. They answer questions quickly and personally. The product is as-described and thoroughly game-changing for my business. There is strong value, we have much less waste and mistakes in our ordering now.

Pros: I love the deep inventory tracking and that it feels like a modern app. Inventory software is typically painful to use, and Katana is a breeze. I love that Shopify sales are automatically imported and function live with Shopify, so when you fulfil an order in Shopify it automatically fulfils it in Katana. The Quickbooks integration makes generating invoices simple. You only have to do things once when you use Katana, there's no need to fill in the same info in different services over and over. Tracking inventory in Katana in multiple locations, and being able to include the ingredients of each product in the tracking is also a plus.

Cons: When creating purchase orders, it can generate a Bill in Quickbooks. This is helpful, however I'd love to be able to create a Purchase Order in QB so that I can simply track them all.

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Glad to hear your feedback on Katana! Let's keep on growing together!

• Reviewed on 09/09/2019