• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.2 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    3.9 /5

About Xero

Beautiful cloud-hosted online accounting software for small business. Accessible anytime, anywhere. Take your free trial now!

Learn more about Xero

Showing 1,954 reviews

Michael D.
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2021

"Xero Cloud Accounting"

Comments: I have used Xero cloud accounting since they launched in the UK around 2012, it is in my opinion the best cloud accounting platform for small businesses.

Pros: The ease of connecting your business bank account and quickly getting your financial and business data in order.

Cons: The payroll module is functional and great for smaller businesses, however other more specialist payroll software providers are better suited to managing larger payrolls.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2021
Ian C.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2021

"Pretty good, but in the end, more complicated than needed for two person practice"

Comments: largely positive, but when they got rid of payroll, given my business of 2 employee/owner s-corp in a medical practice, with no retail/inventory, it made things a ton easier to just do my accounting in Excel. It was really the payroll that made this a no brainer for me.

Pros: I loved the usability of this software. It was super easy to set up relatively sophisticated accounting with no accounting background. I thought the bank reconciliation was dynamite, and while they still had it, I loved the payroll. When I would eventually get triaged to tech support, the person was so patient, and so helpful it was really great, and they never seemed to mind spending a long time helping to fix some oddball problems that I'd made. Oh yes, loved it that they did the quarterly tax filings for me, but that also went away with the payroll

Cons: One thing about this accounting software - when you have a question their first response is to tell you to have your accountant look at it. I was using this software as a replacement for an accountant, in order to save money, so that advice didn't help much. When you do a google for help, you run into a problem: Xero seems to be doing accounting software for all the english speaking countries,e.g. new zealand, australia, UK, USA and canada. each of these countries has different business formations/corporations, different taxation rules, etc, as well as meaningfully different accounting vernacular. I would end up mnost of the time getting somewhere only to realize I'd pulled up the UK instructions to solve a problem.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2021
Adam H.
  • Reviewed on 03/11/2019

"Absolutely love Xero"

Comments: Xero has allowed us to get a real, detailed view on the financial situation within our company from one place. With a comprehensive setup, it can provide real value from day one.

Pros: Xero has transformed our financial management and provides us with all the real time data we could imagine, and where it lacks, integrations take over. While more "accountancy" friendly than some of the more simple products, once you work with your accountants to get this right, you won't regret it. The detail, features and holistic approach to managing company finances means that we are using this every day and with pleasure.

Cons: The interface is being updated, and it is needed as it is a little old fashioned in its design. That said, it is clean and clear and otherwise we love everything about Xero.

• Reviewed on 03/11/2019
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"Xero truly puts powerful data in the hands of small business owners"

Pros: I have been using Xero for a good number of years now and can only recommend it! The usability is fantastic, the ability to see really clearly how the accounts work is groundbreaking in its field. I love the bank reconciliation and the bank feeds. The automation of data is actually fun and linking it into the add-ons can make life a lot easier and save time and money. It is a great way to keep things simple and clear. I love the advisor features, that you can't break it (although you can make a real mess if not careful). For me the biggest benefit is the clarity of the data and the ability to drill down into virtually anything. Don't use Xero in super complex scenarios and I would recommend that you employ a proper XERO accountant - who actually knows how to use Xero and uses the data when using it though or you will end up paying twice - once for entering the data to xero - and again when the accountant pulls it out into their own software. Overall I would absolutely recommend Xero for people who are more serious than working in spreadsheets but who are turning over £50k-£3m+ with a fairly simple process.

Cons: We have found that Xero does not work well in all scenarios but there are work arounds - the bigger the business and the more complex the processes the less it suits but then if you are bigger/more complex you should arguably be using something else!
Support is not awesome! It can take time and you are often met with unhelpful suggestions. There has been an increased number of 'blips' in the software in more recent months and the support has been almost useless in those cases and I have had to find workarounds. Conversation/instant message support should surely be on the cards?
Another thing that I don't like is the highly evangelical nature of the conferences! It borders on the cultish and if you are not 'in' then you are definitely 'out'! I have not found there to be any benefit to being on the 'directory' for that same reason.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Becky D.
Consultant Owner
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2019

"Xero is an easy and economical replacement for Quickbooks"

Comments: I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Xero sales rep when determining if I would switch from Quickbooks for Mac (because they decided to no longer support the version I was using). I was trying to decide between Quickbooks Online and Xero and in the end, Xero won. Their price point was spot on and they offered the features I needed without being overly complicated or fancy (I am not an accountant and do not enjoy the bookkeeping / accounting aspect of my business). Xero makes it easy to manage my cashflow, expenses and revenue quickly and easily.

Pros: Xero offered a payroll option that was not expensive and easy to use. That combined with the ease of use and the cloud-based accounting is why Xero is my go to choice for small business accounting / bookkeeping. Being able to connect your bank account with Xero and import transactions makes it much easier to keep your books up to date. I used to wait all month before entering my transactions into my checking account and it became a big pain in the butt. This is so much easier!

Cons: The fact that you cannot have more than one business in your Xero account is a real bummer. I happen to have more than one business but I'm not willing to buy a subscription for each business. I use one for my most active business for now. Also, if you don't have payroll for awhile, you are no longer able to submit your tax forms as they are not generated, even though I still need to submit them to the taxing authority. There is also a headache when it comes to adding in credit card processing fees to invoices for accurate cash accounting. It's awesome that Stripe is integrated and payments are automatically marked to their appropriate invoice, but to get the fee out of the invoice I have to delete the payment, edit the invoice to include the fee amount, and then add the payment back in.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2019
Brent lionel M.
Co-Founder
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2018

"I used Xero for reviewing clients' invoices and checking our collectibles."

Pros: I used to be the marketing and accounts assistant for Expert360, and use Xero together with our accountant based on Pakistan. Xero makes it easy for us to send an invoice to our corporate, medium and small business clients. It allows us to view the overdue invoices, which enables us to follow-up on those payables. We were able to see the money that we had collected and the money that still needs to be collected. It also allowed us to track the payables to our consultants. Over all, Xero is an easy-to-use accounting software. It's user-friendly functions and features allows you to instantly view the cash flow of your business.

Cons: One thing that I noticed on the platform is it doesn't allow to create multiple entries from one company. Like we have client A and they have lots of projects with us. We wanted to create like client A1, A2, A3 in the contacts info so that we know who's the one in-charge for each project. But our accountant told us that it would appear in the invoice as client A1, A2, and A3 in the invoice instead of just client A only. He said it would create confusion on the person in-charge for the payments since it's not their usual company name. We contacted Xero about that and they said they will work on the feature and hopefully it will be added in the future. Where you can entire Client A with someone as the contact person and Client A with someone as the contact person. The last time I know you can really just create one contact entry for each client.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2018
Samuel J.
Software engineer
Telecommunications, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/05/2019

"the best accountant of the clouds do not fail you."

Comments: Xero is a software that meets my expectations and needs since it is easy to use, configure and can encode some elements such as search functions to locate some particular numbers, business or relevant transactions and multiple key features such as the panel that is can customize and presents a beautiful user interface with graphics for bank accounts has a unique billing template and can be customized and you can easily create quotes and even turn them into purchase order invoices, Xero is a competent accounting management system that works according to the rules and priorities of my company.

Pros: xero is a rosbusta accounting software with complex functions also has the mobility and the modern interface of unlimited users one as employee and others for the software of comtabilidad in our businesses and is relatively easy to use and learn enough you can see documents Once they are properly configured allows us to see and consilir our transsations without having to go to the office of the comtable or be or sending mailing or bills as they can be loaded into the system of xero as well can be configured the part of contror to obtain A general overview of your business can also be functional for medium and large companies since they are well developed and offer you a solid and comprehensive functions.

Cons: I like this software from xero but lately the customer service has been noticed down and in some of the plans the cost is too high for some companies peueñas.

• Reviewed on 23/05/2019
Joseph V.
  • Reviewed on 28/01/2019

"Good software, terrible support and company"

Comments: General use of the software is good. The company and technical support made me consider going back to Quickbooks online. Instead I switched to Freshbooks. Great technical support. They answer within 4 rings. Very knowledgeable and patient. 10 out of 10 for support.

Pros: I previously used quickbooks pro, but found their product too expensive and the support was also not very good. I switched to Xero, because of the price and the quality of the software

Cons: Support is only via email. They initially respond within the promised time frame, but 9/10 times the answer is not relevant to the question asked. It's like they don't read the question, or the initial techs are inexperienced. So after wait on average 4 hours for a response, you have to wait long for a reply to any subsequent answer, which is 9/10 times not relevant to the question. So, in my experience you have little if no support for the software. Then, mid year they suddenly drop their payroll feature off their software and announce you can run your payroll through this other company. Wonderful. Suddenly the total cost of accounting has now doubled because Xero didn't decrease their price and it now costs the same amount again to run payroll. A company that does this in my opinion does not show much integrity.

• Reviewed on 28/01/2019
Michael B.
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2018

"One of the absolute cutting edge, super-easy on the eyes, full function bookkeeping apps"

Comments: Accounting and bookkeeping are my business, so being able to demo such an aesthetically pleasant app that integrates so well is a real boon. Clients take immediately to the UI and we've genuinely had a 90% on-board rate with Xero. We've tried other Apps, but we won't be working with any other software. There's really there's nothing out there we'd rather recommend.
I have found their CS to be first rate, (despite my Account Manager statement), and this end of any accounting SAAS is absolutely vital.
Xero has set the standard for over a decade and it's a testimony to their Devs that they're growing steadily despite their giant competition.

Pros: Smooth-running and numerous integrations with other essential business management apps
Reasonably priced for small business
Has integrated inventory and billing through PayPal and Stripe

Cons: I'm a very loyal user and my company has grown up shoulder-to-shoulder with Xero's growth. There's very few wrinkles from an accountant's POV. I find startup clients sometimes get confused with the "Easy-to-Use-And-Setup" spiel - it certainly is for a bookkeeper familiar with the app! In general, the dashboard apps in this industry can belie their many-layered nature.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2018
Kelly C.
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2018

"Xero is my accounting software of choice for all my clients"

Comments: Xero, along with several add-ons have allowed me to realize my dream of having and growing my business while having the location freedom to travel and escape from the Canadian winters! It has also allowed me to grow my business to serving clients all across Canada and the USA which is something that would dnot have been possible using the software and business model I had previously.

Pros: I love that it is a fully functional accounting package that is cloud-based. It allows me and my clients to work from anywhere and still keep our numbers and business running smoothly. Since my business focuses mainly on Entrepreneurs running businesses online the amazing suite of integrations makes thins so much "easier" for my clients on a day to day basis.

Cons: The only "con" that I have is that it is a subscription-based service and that it can be pricey for new businesses starting out. Their base packages that I have access to as an accountant are good for other types of businesses but for an online based business no matter how small, the transaction limit for the smaller packages is waaaay to small.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2018
Jennifer J.
Finance & Operations Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2020

"Simple and Easy to Use Accounting Software"

Comments: Overall i'm satisfied, it has everything I need to do my everyday responsibilities.

Pros: Easy to use and implement and cost is very attractive. Xero integrates seamlessly with other applications that we use, aka Expensify. Good reporting functions, though it would be great if users can build/further customize reports on their own if need be.

Cons: Lack of customer service. Troubleshoot/training is all via online community support. Limited report build.

• Reviewed on 20/08/2020
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2018

"Solid accounting software for a small business"

Comments: Great overall financial management for our small business. Easy to approve and share transactions, and to see a road map for our financial future before our accountant gives us monthly reports.

Pros: Easy to create invoices, match transactions between Xero and your bank, and simple to view your daily balance. Invoices look professional with logo and custom business information, and you can email invoices to clients directly from Xero. You can also use their payroll portal, but we don't use that particular feature. Xero also connects with Stripe, our credit card processing company, and automatically handles the processing fees. We appreciated how easily it integrated with Stripe.

Cons: It's very easy to duplicate transactions, or to create invoices and bills within the wrong month. After doing so it's difficult to find the transactions and to delete them. I'm very savvy with software and spreadsheets and it definitely surprises me when my accountant contacts me to ask me about a transaction that appears to be a duplicate.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2018
Aimee R.
Business owner
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2019

"Awesome product + support"

Comments: Myself and my clients gain back so much time after unlocking the efficiencies Xero provides. Finances are easier to keep up to date and more frequently, the software updates are seamless, the reports are great, the integrations are outstanding, and the service is super.

Pros: The ease of use, the detailed and easy to follow support videos and notes, the interface, and the functionality. Game changer!

Cons: Nothing! Xero is brilliant! There’s honestly nothing I don’t like about it and I’ve got close to 60 clients on Xero!

• Reviewed on 12/09/2019
Ryan W.
Accounting Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2018

"Best accounting software for mid-sized businesses"

Pros: Xero is very intuitive and easy to use. As an owner of an accounting company focusing on bookkeeping, I use Xero exclusively. The other competitor in this arena is QBO. While their functionality and integrations are similar, Xero excels with amazing customer service, a more solid platform (they have been in the web-based game longer) and ease of use. All of my clients that have used both prefer Xero as well. Intuit is too large a company and you get thrown around when you have questions. Xero customer services is friendly and quick. They are honestly a pleasure to work with.

Cons: The major drawback to Xero is their reporting. QB has better reports for various needs, as an accountant. Xero is slowly improving but it has been a very, very slow process. Sometimes this can be infuriating. Their free internal payroll platform is lacking a bit as well but I haven't compared it to QBO. It works but I prefer to use Gusto with the automatic sync for my clients.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2018
Cristina G.
Owner- Chief Number Cruncher
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2014

"Xero- Beautiful accounting for both the business owner and accountant"

Comments: As a small business owner and accountant, I have tried many accounting softwares. I was a Quickbooks Pro Advisor for five years and relied heavily on an expensive and inconsistent server to share data with clients. A forward thinking, tech savvy client mentioned Xero to me a few years ago and I blew him off. I have seen accounting software try to compete with Quickbooks and many have failed. I was afraid of ditching the my current method of working with my clients, because I didn't want to have to deal with the struggle of switching software, only to have to do it again after the business tanks or bugs in the code would cause me to become far too frustrated. After several more clients mentioned Xero, I thought I would give it a shot. I tested the software out, totally putting it through the ringer. I used a client as a beta tester and asked for feedback on it. We worked on the file together and tried our best to break the program. After a month of working on Xero, I was hooked! I took all of my clients off of the server and Quickbooks and moved them to Xero and I am so glad that I did. Highlights of Xero (from prospective of an accountant) - I can work with my clients in real time: Clients can leave us notes, can see what we are seeing, and can use Xero on smartphones and laptops- you aren't tied to an operating system
- I don't have to waste time on data entry: Bank feeds are magical
- I am able to achieve great results at a fraction of the cost: no software upgrades to pay for, no server costs
- CPAs still get all of the data they need via Xero reports
- Xero customer service is tops- Have an issue? They handle the issue quickly
- Xero add ons are amazing and you accounting system can be tied with an SaaS application quickly and easily.

Pros: - Ease of use: Understandable menus- navigation is a cinch
- Cost: a fraction of the cost of Quickbooks Desktop + a server and on par with Quickbooks Online
- SaaS integration- Have a software you need connected? There is likely an API for it

Cons: No job costing, in depth inventory without using a third party app
Reporting is limited
Both of these cons will be addressed this year, likely and there are SaaS add on solutions present.

• Reviewed on 10/08/2014
Naomi W.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2018

"Great, Easy to Use and Learn Accounting Software"

Pros: - Easy to learn software!
- Easy to use
- Great reporting
- Great audit trail to see where users are editing
- Easy to edit mistakes and see where they came from
- Easy to set up and guides were very helpful
This software was such a great tool for our company. We use it across several businesses and share (varied) access with managers and accounting staff. Customize-able dashboard was great to see everything you needed upon opening the program. Great, in depth reporting to really audit and track anything that makes your company tick. I would highly recommend this software!

Cons: - The restricted access is not able to be customized enough. If I wanted a user to have access to certain areas, they had to gain access to multiple areas outside their scope. The audit feature was a great tool for teaching and seeing where I needed to train employees if they made errors

• Reviewed on 28/02/2018
Mackenzie M.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2018

"Functionality, Ease of Use"

Comments: Xero has allowed our firm to fully utilise technology and integrate our accounting processes with other software and apps, which allows us to expand our service offering to clients.

Pros: Xero offers many great functions which makes modern day accounting just that - modern! A big timesaver is that Xero gets the client to regularly go in and code all transactions, which is one less job for the accountant.
Xero is also very user friendly in that it is easy to quickly log in and download the latest profit and loss or balance sheet to see where the business is in real-time, instead of having to wait for the end of year accounts to be prepared.
Customer support is also excellent and very efficient. It helps that Xero lets you invite Xero support into the Xero account you are having issues with.

Cons: The payroll function is quite tricky to use, compared to other payroll services out there in the market.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2018
Varun S.
Partner
Accounting Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2020

"The best cloud accounting software!"

Comments: Highly positive. The product is excellent and getting better. Xero is expanding its team in Canada and hopefully the product will become more "localized" with time.

Pros: Very user friendly
Very stable
Cash coding
Zapier integration
API integration with other apps

Cons: Customization for Canadian market
Sales tax modules for Canadian market

• Reviewed on 17/12/2020
Joel C.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2019

"Great Product, with no real competitors"

Comments: Great. It really helps our business with day to day accounting and end of year returns.

Pros: The streamlining of accounts and ease of project management with the addition of Workflow Max

Cons: Cost of Workflow Max, Custom design functionality for invoices could be better

• Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Maria B.
Accountant
Accounting Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2018

"Not More than a normal Software for book keeping."

Pros: It provides the services of accounting and book keeping to its users. The learning process of this software is very easy. This software can help small and medium sized businesses to maintain their records on computer. This software is easy to use and maintain records. The process of finding errors is also very easy. It has many of the good built in features like trail, auditing, taxation, invoices, and billing e.t.c.

Cons: In starting of this software to seek the attention of the accountants and to generate more clients the developer has said that in addition to this software the final accounts creating software and taxation software is also under development but the time has passes and we have seen nothing from the developer in addition to this software. Just to generate clients they have said this and now nothing new has seen. The User interface and quality is also not very good.

• Reviewed on 13/08/2018
Daniel Q.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2018

"Excelent Features also very reliable specially for Business of higher volume of transactions"

Comments: before Xero we used Quickbooks, but it was too expensive compared to Xero, also QuickBooks we think is more for Old style business, Xero is more adapted to modern business like e-commerce stores after we subscribe with Xero. we saved a lot of time because we have a lot of fees in different transactions from PayPal, which takes a lot of time to reconcile, with Xero is almost automatic. We also like all the reports options that you have to export. You can predict pretty much everything in your business, or you can calculate all the expenses for any account in matters of 1 minute. You visualize how your business is doing for whatever period of the year you choose, also compare periods with past periods, and see how the business is growing. Xero also sync with A2x Accounting for Amazon wich these two guys are a really powerful tool for nowadays business We recommend Xero

Pros: -Friendly Software easy to use and understand for anybody
-Useful and quick tutorials and very important information provided by Xero Team in their website
-Very Nice Price
-Connectivity with PayPal and many banks
-Very Fast and easy to reconcile thousands of transactions
-Rules for transactions that makes super easy and fast when you have thousands of transactions from the same supplier and it will go to the same account

Cons: -Paypal sometimes has issues with sync
-hard to find CPA in the US with knowledge in Xero

• Reviewed on 23/10/2018
Jake D.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 04/11/2016

"Innovation in Cloud-Accounting"

Comments: I'll admit, Xero requires a bit of a learning curve for those who regularly use alternate software suites for accounting (whether cloud or desktop). However, once you are familiar with the interface and navigation, Xero provides some great features. Xero's pricing is great for companies who plan to use Xero's payroll (which is included with the most popular package). It certainly beats the cost of competing software. One of the stand-out features of Xero is the elimination of sub-accounts on the general ledger. Instead, all accounts are at the same level, and you can create custom layouts for your P&L and Balance Sheet to view information in whatever groups are convenient for you (and it can be changed). This makes tracking income from various sources and paying sales tax simpler! The one major hang-up I have with Xero is that journal entries cannot affect bank accounts. That means extra steps are required when your JE needs to affect the bank accounts. The only hang-up I have (which is also not a deal breaker) is that if you record a payment to the wrong bank account and need to change it, you have to delete the whole thing and re-enter it as a "spend money" transaction on the correct account. This can make for time-consuming clean-up since you cannot even fix those errors with a Journal Entry. Still, Xero is a great fit for many industries and is innovative and creative in solving accounting problems.

Pros: Payroll is included in the popular package and the custom reporting layouts.

Cons: Journal entries cannot affect bank accounts.

• Reviewed on 04/11/2016
Carolyn S.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2019

"Overall Still a Raving Fan :)"

Pros: so many fabulous timesaving features!!! automated bank feeds, ability to attach files to transactions, ability to automate reminders and recurring invoices and bills, ability to preset default settings for suppliers and customers, some ability to customise login parameters, fabulous direct reporting and customisable reporting functionality

Cons: unable to limit users access to restricted information (such as payroll, legal and insurance transactions)... unable to access historic information from accounts that are dormant, or in accounts that have been downgraded from full invoicing features to the cheaper but far less functional practice-only ledger accounts

• Reviewed on 28/04/2019
Murray C.
Training, training design and blended learning consultant
Professional Training & Coaching, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/11/2018

"Fully featured accountancy software - lets you fire your accountant!"

Comments: Using Xero, I was able to eliminate the need for an accountant entirely. As a micro-business, as long as you are diligent with the entry of your receipts and invoices, Xero gives you all the information you need to file your own accounts. Filing the accounts takes about 20 minutes, and saves you £500-£1,500 in accountant's fees, which more than pays for the software.

Pros: Huge range of features
Highly-responsive UK-specific support (Xero is Australian)
Well populated, searchable knowledgebase
Support videos
Payroll add-on
Creates VAT reports with xero effort, and files them directly to HMRC with a single click

Cons: Unreconciling transactions can be a bit of a faff
Reports are not very customisable, although there is a wide range of configurable standard reports

• Reviewed on 03/11/2018
Peter B.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2020

"Xero is made for accountants and not small business or tradies."

Comments: Xero is quick to reconcile but so are the other brand options. I am making a lot of money for my accountant because I always need to ring and get help.

Pros: Easy reconciliation but this is a feature of most brands now.

Cons: Reports are impossible to configure and source the data I need. The layout is poor and not user friendly. The technical terms used are common to accountants but make no sense to small business operators. The online help is useless and takes forever to get a response. Feature requests are ignored and not even responded to. There are other brands that offer a much easier user interface and at a fraction of the cost. I was forced into XERO as it was the only brand my accountant would support. I have to ring the accountants for help all the time who change a fortune for simple advice. Every feature I need is an extra add on charge. The remember me at login does not work and I have to waste time with 2 step login every time I leave the computer for 5 minutes. XERO does not work well on the tablet. The bank feeds do not deliver all the transaction data detail and its very difficult to identify some businesses. Memorizing transactions and splitting purchases is a real time-waster.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2020