• Overall
    4.3/5
    4.2/5
    3.9/5

About Xero

Beautiful cloud-hosted online accounting software for small business. Accessible anytime, anywhere. Take your free trial now!

Learn more about Xero

Showing 1,896 reviews

Kathryn H.
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2019

"Affordable professional level accounting software for small business"

Comments: It's been easier to use Xero than I expected, but I had a nasty surprise at tax time when I realized the default accounts/descriptions for expenses did not correlate 1:1 to IRS categories. (I should have checked this more closely when I set up my accounts because it's a New Zealand company, and the previous product was local.) This means I will need to double-check all my transactions for 2018 and the IRS has my vastly overestimated tax payment until I can do that and file my return on an extension. I've had a much better experience importing data from financial institutions because Xero uses a well-known importing service that is trusted by the institutions. I like being able to match multiple invoices to bank deposits because I usually don't run to the bank for each check. This will be more valuable as my company grows. I should probably find an accountant to assist me with this, but I haven't found an accountant who understands both craft businesses and Xero.

Pros: Professional double entry software at a very affordable price
Accommodates both cash and accrual accounting
Links to financial institutions to get transactions
Uses standard importer recognized by the financial institutions instead of just trying to log in remotely (and triggering fraud alerts)
Can match multiple invoices to a single deposit transaction imported from bank
Can keep using Xero as company grows

Cons: Pre-existing expense categories/descriptions don't map 1:1 with IRS definitions, so I'm having to go back to all my receipts to make sure expenses are entered in proper accounts because I didn't realize this when I switched
More difficult to focus on specific expense categories to check transactions
Have not been able to import historic data from previous app (possibly because it's not double entry) so I am still paying the subscription on that software to retain access to my data
No integration with Craftybase, so I have to enter supply purchases and customer invoices there independently

• Reviewed on 26/08/2019
Craig D.
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2020

"I can't wait for it to be finished!"

Comments: It's a lot of money to get setup with a certified consultant. Very few consultants available in Canada. When we did find one she was great but she bills you for every second she works. As in not any free advice. My lawyer is easier to work with.

Pros: As a former quickbooks user of about 20 years, it was a big deal to switch platforms. At first glance it looked like it would do everything we wanted. I loved the price point, the interface and relative ease of use. The multi currency was great as was the ability to integrate with Stripe. You make a lot of compromises to save on the huge monthly cost of quickbooks but there are workarounds.

Cons: There are so many things that are just common/must have's for any business. Things like progressive billing, job costing and even the ability to make your own journal entries are missing. We had to hire a consultant and spend around $800 just to get it to add purchases easier to the mix with HubDoc. You see job costing catagories at the invoice level but not software or 3rd party app to back it up. The single most annoying thing about it is the support. It's non existent. You complain, They tell you its not a problem and ignore your requests. I struggle daily with the search function. I can't get about 50% of my searches to work. The clients I'm looking for are entered. I'm typing them in fine but you often have to visit contacts menu and find them manually by quote number or just never ending scrolling. Upon complaining numerous times the best they can do is say "it might take up to two weeks for your contacts to sync. " Xero: It's 2020 and the dark ages of cloud software have passed. You need to fix the search function and add job costing to be considered a contender. So here we are in 2020, manually adding each of our sales to a spreadsheet and adding the subsequent bills to it to see if we made $. They make it incredibly hard to contact support and they are quite unresponsive when they do reply to your ticket. They try really hard to push you to support forums, where there are literally hundreds of complaints on the same issue with the ability to comment closed.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2020
John D.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 13-50 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018

"Concerns with Xero"

Comments: We've been using Xero for about two years now. There have been a few hiccups along the way but for the most part things have been ok. Recently however, we've had a problem with our bank feed uploading into Xero in order to reconcile transactions. We first encountered this issue on 2/10/18. We informed Xero and they said they would look into the issue. A couple of weeks went by without hearing anything about the feed working as it should. We contacted them again and they said they were still working on the issue but that we could manually download the transactions ourselves in the meantime. Today is 4/10/18 (2 months later) and they still have not fixed the issue. We are still having to manually download these transactions ourselves in order to reconcile our bank accounts within the Xero software. I spoke with Xero this morning and they still do not have a timeline for when this will be fixed. They said they use an outside company to perform the importing of bank feeds functions and that they are not responsible for it not working. They said when we signed up for the Xero service we were informed about the possibility of the feed possibly cutting out at some point in the fine print (terms & conditions). They refuse to issue any sort of refund for their monthly service during this time of inconvenience because they say the bank feed import function is a free service offered by a third party. The problem we have is that Xero is marketing this service as part of their overall monthly service package which you assume is really included in your monthly service fee you pay to them. When it doesn't work they take no accountability for it not working. We think it's very deceptive for them to market a service (bank import functionality) to prospective buyers, which you assume is included with your monthly service fee, but then take no responsibility for it not working when things breakdown. We believe they do this to gain a competitive advantage over other companies like Quickbooks. Instead of just charging for the bank import service which would increase their monthly service fee and make them less competitive on a price basis with their competition they artfully setup their service to be able to offer a more competitive price but not assume any of the responsibility when the service doesn't work as expected. The general consumer doesn't think to put this deceptive tactic together when they sign up for the service and Xero assumes once they have you onboard you'll deal with the issue until they can get it fixed because switching accounting software companies at a later date is extremely inconvenient.

Pros: The service accomplishes most of what it was intended to do albiet at a bit of a learning curve for the new user.

Cons: There is no customer service support number to call. Bank feeds do not work properly. IOS app is mising some functionaility

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Sherm S.
Creative Marketing Genius | Small Business Marketing Expert
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2020

"XERO reconciliation is an issue"

Comments: Overall, it's a decent program, with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a cloud based accounting program. Unfortunately working without being able to reconcile monthly made life too difficult. And not many accountants work with it, so that made it difficult to have professional eyes on my accounting.

Pros: I loved how easy it was to integrate XERO with my bank accounts and Paypal. XERO seamlessly connected and kept my balances up to date. I also liked how easy it was to invoice clients and connect invoices to Paypal or Stripe.

Cons: Unfortunately, the reconciliation process in XERO is a no-go for me. Rather than the Quickbooks and standard approach, where you do a monthly reconciliation against a bank statement, XERO had no such function. Once an item was matched up to a bank transaction, it was considered "reconciled." No option to close out a month and double-check transactions. I went back to QBO to get that feature.

Chris C.
Business Owner
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2020

"A leading software in it's industry"

Comments: A beautiful piece of software that turns a once tedious chore, into an easy and intuitive process. I always recommend my clients to use Xero (if they can afford to) as I believe it makes the workflow much smoother and simpler for everyone involved.

Pros: As an accountant and bookkeeping business owner I have been using accounting software for well over 10 years. I have to say when Xero entered the market I was definitely curious as to what it could bring to the market. I believe Xero have captured a very nice niche of the industry with it's very business orientated user interface and simplisitic feel. It makes accounting somewhat fun for the business owner. The way that they have revolutionized the way the bank reconciliation is performed makes it easier for buiness owner and accountant/bookkeeper to work together. I love the comments functionality and the rules that can be set to repeating transactions. The AI in the bank reconciliation also has a very nice balance to it. It will allocate your transactions when you need it to, but not too aggressively - meaning you don't have to undo all the automatic allocations (unlike some other software like MYOB). They also have a lot of resources to help business owners and financial professionals. In addition they make continual updates to their software to adapt to the times.

Cons: I think the biggest con of the software is the price tag. Many of my clients have found this to be a stumbling block, saying that the monthly subscription fee is too high for their business. Other than the price, the only other con is the support is only via email (this is the last time I had an issue which was a few months ago). They do not have a support contact phone line (in Australia at least) - so response has to be via email (which may lead onto a call later if it cannot be resolved by email). Which takes longer to resolve the issues.

• Reviewed on 10/08/2020
Adam H.
  • Reviewed on 03/11/2019

"Absolutely love Xero"

Comments: Xero has allowed us to get a real, detailed view on the financial situation within our company from one place. With a comprehensive setup, it can provide real value from day one.

Pros: Xero has transformed our financial management and provides us with all the real time data we could imagine, and where it lacks, integrations take over. While more "accountancy" friendly than some of the more simple products, once you work with your accountants to get this right, you won't regret it. The detail, features and holistic approach to managing company finances means that we are using this every day and with pleasure.

Cons: The interface is being updated, and it is needed as it is a little old fashioned in its design. That said, it is clean and clear and otherwise we love everything about Xero.

• Reviewed on 03/11/2019
Louis J.
Managing Director
Telecommunications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2019

"Good Accounting Software, but lack decent reporting and live chat support"

Comments: We switched from QBO to Xero due to several issues with QBO. However, the migration to Xero is clunky as you have to use a middleman called MoveMyBooks - Xero will pay for up to 2 years books to be moved but any more you must pay. But, things like Employees, Payroll, Expenses etc will not be migrated so you end up spending weeks manually (Yes, Manually) created Expenses yourself all over again in Xero. Very painful and cost my business thousands for false advertising a simple switch,

Pros: Easy to use, easy to input data and there's often little popup boxes to explain what elements are. It's cloud managed, so no need to download any software or store anything locally.

Cons: Support is a bit, there isn't a live chat support like there is with competitors and it lacks the aesthetics of products like Quicbooks and the same level of reports.

• Reviewed on 12/10/2019
Jennifer J.
Finance & Operations Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2020

"Simple and Easy to Use Accounting Software"

Comments: Overall i'm satisfied, it has everything I need to do my everyday responsibilities.

Pros: Easy to use and implement and cost is very attractive. Xero integrates seamlessly with other applications that we use, aka Expensify. Good reporting functions, though it would be great if users can build/further customize reports on their own if need be.

Cons: Lack of customer service. Troubleshoot/training is all via online community support. Limited report build.

Cristovão R.
Information Technology Executive Supervisor
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"Analysis of the use of Xero in the financial sector"

Comments: The company needs a new way that increases the efficiency of the accounting industry so that expenses can be tracked, and Xero has allowed the bank account to be directly connected to it. It provided instant credit notes to be sent to customers, making service faster and more efficient.

Pros: My team and I chose Xero because it has unlimited users, is well-suited for midsize businesses, and has advanced administration tools. It has wide compatibility with the most used browsers in the world. His accounting method is one of the most positive points he has.

Cons: The support provided by the company is not bad, but it is also not excellent and in my view this is a negative point. Its interface is not as simple during initial use, which makes the learning curve a bit longer.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2019
Glyn B.
general manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 13-50 Employees

"Good Sage alternative"

Comments: Good

Pros: Price as to be a major feature but it's very user friendly and you can see all teh important data in one place

Cons: some feature that Sage had are not present and customer support is not great

Gene M.
Senior Accountant
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2020

"Accounting Software Design for the Business Owner"

Comments: Xero give me, an accountant, a tool to provide my clients with that effectively gives them a tool for keeping their daily records in an orderly fashion make my job easier at the end of each month.

Pros: Xero have been designed to be used by non-account business folks. However, once the data has been listed an accountant has a great tool to use to finish the company financial records (Monthly, Quarterly & Annually). It is also priced at a rate that works for most business owners.

Cons: I really do not know of any areas within the software that I can list as "Least" liked. I do not know of any significant problems which I believe need correcting.

Paul C.
Managing Director
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/09/2019

"Super Simple Accounting Software for Small to Medium Sized Businesses"

Comments: As a small business our main priority is to keep our monthly book keeping tasks simple and quick. Since moving to Xero from MYOB we have found a significant reduction in our book keeping time input. We are NOT accountants or book keeping experts and Xero as an accounting system has definitely made this part of our business much more efficient. We are guided by our accountant as how best to use the software and have been able to develop a simple client - accountant relationship with Xero being the main conduit of information between us.

Pros: As a small business we found Xero to be a simple and very cost effective solution for all our accounting - book keeping needs. Xero is very easy to set up with your accountant and reduces the time you need to spend on book keeping tasks each month. With automatic bank feeds the time we need to reconcile our accounts each month is minimal. The audit trail features mean any issues that arise can be quickly found and fixed. Being able to notate any transactions enables our accountant to quickly respond to our queries. As a small business keeping our external accountant costs down is very important to us and by using Xero means the time our accountant has to actually spend on our accounts is less and therefore so are the invoices we receive from him!

Cons: Some of the automatic accounts Xero suggests you reconcile to are not correct so it is important to double check each transaction before reconciling. We had issues setting up some of the automatic bank feeds and still have one bank account that will not process the feeds so we need to enter those transactions manually. When uploading a file of transactions we also had some issues and found it quicker just to manually enter them into the software.

• Reviewed on 15/09/2019
Anna L.
Administrator/accounting assistant
Accounting, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/03/2019

"Xero makes reconciling fun"

Comments: I use Xero in two roles in my life, one as an employee and the other for the accounting software for my husband's business.
In my work New Zealand schools use this software as it is relatively easy to learn, quite intuitive and uses cloud accounting, enables document uploads for accountants to view etc. Once well set up it is also fast to use on a day to day basis.
At home I assist my husband to reconcile our business transactions for our accountant. We don't have to go in to the accountant's office or email invoices etc as we can upload them to Xero for him to see. You can set up the dashboard to get an overall view of your business and how much money is owed to you, and bills you owe, how you are tracking month to month, and the balances of your accounts you have linked to Xero.

Pros: I like the ease of reconciling because once you get set up and code a few items it remembers them for next time for a faster job (you still have to check them to see if they are correct first).
I find it fun and satisfying to reconcile in Xero as it is quite visual, you see several lines waiting to be reconciled and then as you work through the transactions, coding them and clicking on the middle button, they disappear. Setting up bank rules is also a huge benefit, as they get coded automatically, ready for you to just hit the green 'ok' button. You can use this for your usual bills for example, electricity bill, local cafe, cell phone bill, internet charges. Although it does take time to set bank rules up to make sure all details are accurate, it saves time in the long run.
I like the fact that customers can upload documents into the files section of Xero and their accountant can see these documents immediately to work on them or code them.
I also like the search function as you can search for a particular number, or the first few letters of a name or business to find relevant transactions.
Being able to generate invoices and email them direct from Xero is great as it saves time.

Cons: It is not the software's fault exactly, but because reconciling is so easy there is a temptation to accept what Xero suggests for a transaction and reconcile to this account, instead of pausing and really checking if the code is the best one.
Xero is first and foremost a business accounting software, so the reports it can generate may not be exactly what other users of the software need, like schools for example, who may need a Xero add-on to get what they most need in regards to reports.

• Reviewed on 04/03/2019
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"Xero truly puts powerful data in the hands of small business owners"

Pros: I have been using Xero for a good number of years now and can only recommend it! The usability is fantastic, the ability to see really clearly how the accounts work is groundbreaking in its field. I love the bank reconciliation and the bank feeds. The automation of data is actually fun and linking it into the add-ons can make life a lot easier and save time and money. It is a great way to keep things simple and clear. I love the advisor features, that you can't break it (although you can make a real mess if not careful). For me the biggest benefit is the clarity of the data and the ability to drill down into virtually anything. Don't use Xero in super complex scenarios and I would recommend that you employ a proper XERO accountant - who actually knows how to use Xero and uses the data when using it though or you will end up paying twice - once for entering the data to xero - and again when the accountant pulls it out into their own software. Overall I would absolutely recommend Xero for people who are more serious than working in spreadsheets but who are turning over £50k-£3m+ with a fairly simple process.

Cons: We have found that Xero does not work well in all scenarios but there are work arounds - the bigger the business and the more complex the processes the less it suits but then if you are bigger/more complex you should arguably be using something else!
Support is not awesome! It can take time and you are often met with unhelpful suggestions. There has been an increased number of 'blips' in the software in more recent months and the support has been almost useless in those cases and I have had to find workarounds. Conversation/instant message support should surely be on the cards?
Another thing that I don't like is the highly evangelical nature of the conferences! It borders on the cultish and if you are not 'in' then you are definitely 'out'! I have not found there to be any benefit to being on the 'directory' for that same reason.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Great, intuitive and easy to use bookkeeping software, lacking for accountants, NO customer services"

Comments: It is so easy to use but support has to come from Accountants who are not customer service or techies and who are not adequately compensated for their efforts. It is enjoyable to use and definitely does the basics very well.

Pros: For bookkeeping, small and medium-sized businesses this software is a dream. It is the most intuitive and easiest to use of all the accounting software that we reviewed. As an accountant, it is easy to fix user errors and mis-postings. There is a proper audit trail and safety checks built in. There are so many time-saving features like find and recode, repeating bills/invoices/journals, bank rules. The move toward AI is exciting too.

Cons: The reports aren't GAP or IAS compliant so it is no good for reporting, final accounts production or tax. To get accountants interested and recommending Xero in the early days, they promised accountants that Final Accounts Production and Corporation Tax software was in their development queue but it never materialised and they burnt a lot of bridges with accountants when they announced that they had dropped FAP plans. This is why Quickbooks are getting such a big foothold and stealing market share from Xero. The software is expensive for what it is and you can get a lot more and better for your money with FreeAgent and QuickBooks. The biggest let down for Xero is that there is no telephone support, at all. Not even call back. You have to email and if you are on the opposite side of the world from New Zealand, it can take a full day to get an inital response and if there is any misunderstanding or info required, it can take days to get your problem resolved. This is really useless and a deal breaker for serious businesses. Another major failing in Xero is the number of times that the Bank Feed just doesn't work. This is outwith Xero's control and so it can often take months to resolve. This is amateur and best and negligent at worst.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Paul D.
Business Development Manager
Accounting, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2017

"Xero - Leading the way to making accounting much easier for small businesses"

Comments: I have been a Xero certified advisor for 8 years and actually returned the accounting profession because of Xero after deciding to leave because I felt the industry didn't understand delivering value to clients. Xero has been a catalyst for increasing the speed of change in the industry towards a value proposition model. Although like any system success with does come down to using it properly and being prepared to spend the time to understand how it works and to make the most of it, but Xero has been built so intuitively and they have

Pros: Great design, intuitive, great support files and videos, invoicing features are very good, being able to add files to transactions is a big time saver, the fact that it is a full accounting system is great in its price range, although for more complex features you may need an add-on application for example full stock management and stock control.

Cons: The way the contacts database has been developed could be improved to make importing and exporting data easier, that has improved recently with the addition of client codes field. Also greater flexibility of controlling features a user can access would be great.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2017
William E.
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2016

"The best at what it does"

Comments: Full Disclosure: I am an accountant and I recommend Xero to many of my clients. When the expectations are in alignment with the capabilities of the software, then everyone is happy. People get into trouble with ANY software when they jump in thinking they know what it does and are then disappointed. All accounting and ERP software has limitations and Xero is no exception, but what it does, it does well. It provides payables, receivables, bank reconciliation and general ledger as its core functionality. There is a very capable estimating/quoting/order/ process that ties into AR invoices smoothly. But, the requisition/purchase/inventory side is very, very basic. In fact there are no requisitions and the purchase orders are so limited that I recommend you not use them. The inventory is only what is needed to make the sales side functional. So, if you need strong inventory support, you have to use a third-party add-on designed just for this purpose.

Pros: What is good about Xero are 1) Real-time bank feeds and bank reconciliation - this is what scared the pants off of Intuit and forced them to develop new functionality. 2) Xero fully embraces and enables third-party developers to provide niche solutions that have rich interaction with Xero. 3) The features keep getting better and better quarter after quarter. 4) Perhaps my relationship as a partner skews this, but I've had nothing but excellent support from Xero. I can call someone if I have to, but I almost always get issues resolved through technical support in a timely fashion. Some of my favorite add-ons for Xero are GeoOp for field services, Deputy which integrates its scheduling, time and attendance functions with Xero payroll, and Float which projects cashflow. The new reporting and the tags are fantastic.

Cons: There are some features I would like to see "sooner," but they are on the roadmap for "later." People jump on Xero because of the price without having a Xero consultant evaluate their suitability for the application - that can create an expectation gap, and that inevitably leads to an unhappy customer. I just hate it when people let their wallet do their thinking for them and then blame the software because it "doesn't do enough." The payroll is fine. I spoke to the VP in charge of payroll development and he is all about improving the functionality, so it will continue to improve. What is there now is very well designed to be comprehensive and flexible, but there are situations where a third-party payroll like Gusto will make more sense for your organization. They are the first ones to suggest you look at solutions like Gusto, ADP, Paychex and others that integrate seamlessly with Xero. It is annoying that the tags are limited to two categories, and this won't be revised until they have their design for job costing completed. No word yet on when that will be.

• Reviewed on 29/08/2016
Kristen B.
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2017

"Fantastic! I finally have the tools from Xero to drive my company to its greatest potential."

Comments: Understanding the numbers! I'm finally educated about my own business, which sounds ridiculous, but so many business owners are creative dreamers that never look at the numbers. Even ones that are successful don't look at the numbers because they feel like it's not necessary - and that's the biggest lie in the world. It's so easy to share the reports with people at all levels in the company, and I feel a fantastic sense of control with the numbers because of Xero.

Pros: Cloud availability, choice between manual or automatic accounting, incredible reports, easy to print, beautiful, fun to use, don't have to be an accountant to use it, fantastic break-down of categories and overhead vs. cost of goods. Shows great percentages - growth overall, percentage of sales per category and percentage of expenses per category - easy to understand the nuts and bolts of your business with Xero and make quick changes to your business model when a problem arises.

Cons: Balance sheet leaves much to be desired - harder to figure out than the rest of the software and difficult to understand in conjunction with the profit and loss. It's not possible to see a comprehensive financial picture - perhaps what makes it so great for non-accountants is its simplicity makes it hard at times to get into the nitty gritty. The billing aspect of Xero is atrocious, just really, really bad. Invoices on "repeat" stay in a strange ticker until you command them to be sent, it creates a lot of problems. Definitely have a separate billing software if you use Xero, especially if your clients are on subscriptions. I wish it integrated better with a growth planning tool - integrates with CRMs fine but doesn't help you look into the next couple of years, or present a future picture to investors.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2017
Karim K.
Finance Controller
Design, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2019

"One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations."

Pros: - Brilliant design and straight forward full accounting system yet detailed enough to allow user to create management reports.
- It allows direct bank feed letting the book-keepers not to worry about importing bank statements and processing detailed bank reconciliations.
- It also integrates with third party softwares to import direct feed which helps automation possible helps save time.
- It also offers partner programs for external book-keepers and accountants to work on different client books which is a new features other softwares have failed to offer.
- Great price.

Cons: - Payroll function is capable to deal with straight forward payroll matters. when dealing with complex calculation, Xero seems limited in its functionality.
- The tracking categories are limited to only two lists. It would have been great if it would have had an option to increase the number of categories to suit individual need.

• Reviewed on 25/07/2019
Becky D.
Consultant Owner
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2019

"Xero is an easy and economical replacement for Quickbooks"

Comments: I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Xero sales rep when determining if I would switch from Quickbooks for Mac (because they decided to no longer support the version I was using). I was trying to decide between Quickbooks Online and Xero and in the end, Xero won. Their price point was spot on and they offered the features I needed without being overly complicated or fancy (I am not an accountant and do not enjoy the bookkeeping / accounting aspect of my business). Xero makes it easy to manage my cashflow, expenses and revenue quickly and easily.

Pros: Xero offered a payroll option that was not expensive and easy to use. That combined with the ease of use and the cloud-based accounting is why Xero is my go to choice for small business accounting / bookkeeping. Being able to connect your bank account with Xero and import transactions makes it much easier to keep your books up to date. I used to wait all month before entering my transactions into my checking account and it became a big pain in the butt. This is so much easier!

Cons: The fact that you cannot have more than one business in your Xero account is a real bummer. I happen to have more than one business but I'm not willing to buy a subscription for each business. I use one for my most active business for now. Also, if you don't have payroll for awhile, you are no longer able to submit your tax forms as they are not generated, even though I still need to submit them to the taxing authority. There is also a headache when it comes to adding in credit card processing fees to invoices for accurate cash accounting. It's awesome that Stripe is integrated and payments are automatically marked to their appropriate invoice, but to get the fee out of the invoice I have to delete the payment, edit the invoice to include the fee amount, and then add the payment back in.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2019
Karen G.
Executive Assistant & Client Manager
  • Reviewed on 13/09/2018

"Xero or MYOB?"

Comments: Xero & MYOB. I love them both - for different reasons. If you're a MYOB lover, do not be afraid of the transition. Simply view Xero as different and you'll be fine. Don't expect to find things in the same dropdown tabs - as it's a different set-up. Once you're familiar, you'll love the ease of use.
Very user friendly, not overcrowded on your pages with too much writing, easy to see information (card files for clients) all on one page - very easy to read and find the information you're after.
Give Xero a try - I know you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Love the ease of access. We have a team based in Australia, India, & South America - so the online platform is brilliant.
As a previous MYOB user (& lover of MYOB), I was surprised with the ease of transition from MYOB to Xero.
I also really enjoy how easy it is to link client card files noting the company directors, primary contacts, banking details etc. Very easy to view all the information in one place! Love being able to send the BAS' from Xero as well with a click of the button, and being able to modify & tweak great templates is a MUST.

Cons: One thing that is very challenging, is if the Xero team are not getting back to you as promptly as you need, there is NO phone number to talk to someone. This (for the accounting industry) can be a big let down at times. Normally, the Customer Help is very prompt.
Still trying to find an adequate solution so that if I upload a file in my XPM, the rest of my team can view these files. Despite trying and following Xero's suggestions, my team members are still not able to view the documents I've uploaded. We'll get there in the end I'm sure.

• Reviewed on 13/09/2018
Brent lionel M.
Co-Founder
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2018

"I used Xero for reviewing clients' invoices and checking our collectibles."

Pros: I used to be the marketing and accounts assistant for Expert360, and use Xero together with our accountant based on Pakistan. Xero makes it easy for us to send an invoice to our corporate, medium and small business clients. It allows us to view the overdue invoices, which enables us to follow-up on those payables. We were able to see the money that we had collected and the money that still needs to be collected. It also allowed us to track the payables to our consultants. Over all, Xero is an easy-to-use accounting software. It's user-friendly functions and features allows you to instantly view the cash flow of your business.

Cons: One thing that I noticed on the platform is it doesn't allow to create multiple entries from one company. Like we have client A and they have lots of projects with us. We wanted to create like client A1, A2, A3 in the contacts info so that we know who's the one in-charge for each project. But our accountant told us that it would appear in the invoice as client A1, A2, and A3 in the invoice instead of just client A only. He said it would create confusion on the person in-charge for the payments since it's not their usual company name. We contacted Xero about that and they said they will work on the feature and hopefully it will be added in the future. Where you can entire Client A with someone as the contact person and Client A with someone as the contact person. The last time I know you can really just create one contact entry for each client.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2018
Ray W.
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2018

"Overall great. Recently, shocking!"

Pros: Overall, it's a good product. Easy to use. Simple UI though quite dated. It does everything we need it to plus more.

Cons: Until recently, there wasn't much I didn't like. I probably couldn't name anything, apart from the somewhat dated UI - but that's a stretch. Recently however, Xero have taken a core feature (Expenses) and starting selling it as an add-on, on top of the monthly subscription fee. Expenses as you may know, and would expect, is 'included' in the monthly subscription and formed part of the core software. There was no additional charge. They've recently updated the Expenses feature (which they should be doing anyway) and now believe that because they've updated it, that warrants it being pulled from core and sold separately as an add-on. As a current subscriber, I signed up for the all inclusive package. Having features ripped from the core package and charged for in addtion to the monthly subscription is not on. Especially when no discount or reduction of the monthly subscription cost was offered. As a SaaS provider, any and all future updates, regardless of how big or small they are, should form part of the monthly subscription. Choosing an accounting package is a big decision and once you're committed, it's difficult and often costly to change. With Xero now employing this kind of model, I'd caution anyone considering Xero to think again, think hard. Today it's Expenses, tomorrow it could be something else. These disgusting tactics employed by Xero are unacceptable.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2018
Quratulain H.
Head of Projects
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2019

"Best for MultiCurrency Needs"

Pros: I love how easily it helps me keep my accounts in order. I've done some complex book keeping / accounting for one firm as well as some extremely simple work for another with this. It works well with both. Their support is really great. They reply quickly and have some great documentation as well.

Cons: They have started some spin-offs from their product at a per user license fee. I think this way it can quickly become costly for some new users. Luckily i've been using this for over 5 years now, hence I don't come under such restrictions.

• Reviewed on 06/09/2019
Phill D.
Food Production
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2015

"Overall great, but one flaw to be vary of"

Comments: I have been using Xero for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I was with MYOB but had a bad experience when they upgraded their systems to include cloud computing. I have had a look at their new systems, and while they are much improved and worth exploring for someone starting from scratch, I will still stick with Xero.

Pros: My accountants use it extensively so it makes my work and their work integrate so easily which ultimately saves money. Reconciliation is a very labour intensive exercise and Xero cuts a huge amount of time out of this process. On its own it is quite cheap too. I have an expensive plugin (Tradegecko), but the functionality of that pays for itself. Xero creates the framework of my entire business system.

Cons: If you have a business where you have a large number of transactions coming in for the same value, e.g. if you have magazine subscriptions all for $5 a month each then Xero is not a good option, at all. I did have this problem and it was a total pain. I have corresponded extensively with Xero on this issue and they do not see it as a priority and have said directly that they have no intentions on making improvements. This surprises me as their customer service is generally quite good. There is quite a large thread on the support forums on this topic. If this is a potential issue for you then here is my advice. Set up a trial account with Xero and MYOB and test both for this important reconciliation feature. If you know what you are doing it shouldn't take too long (or ask someone who knows what they are doing). These systems change and evolve so quickly that by the time you read this review one of them might have improved their system. MYOB has been beaten badly by Xero in the past few years but from what I have seen (I recently exhibited next to them at a show) they have come a long way since I stopped using their system.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2015