Retail Pro Reviews

by Retail Pro International

• Overall
    4.1 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.4 /5

About Retail Pro

Retail Pro is complete retail management solution for POS, inventory, customer and store ops management across channels and devices.

Learn more about Retail Pro

Robert S.
Retail Pro Administrator
Retail, 201-500 Employees

"Retail Pro 9"

Comments: I have been a Retail Pro Admin now for years. I know that if I ever have an issue pop up, I can call my RPro business partner at any time of the day, even 2 am, which I have done. I get the same high quality and knowledgeable support I need at the time.

Pros: It’s ability to provide a one-stop shop. It has everything a business needs to succeed as software goes. Along with it knowledgeable business partners is an excellent choice to support your retail business

Cons: New more knowledge based support. When I access my portal, the limited amount of user information is disappointing

Chris M.
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2014

"J.D Associates and Retail Pro"

Pros: We have been using the software Retail Pro for about two months now at our single location, which is a Swimming Pool retail store. Since the day we first launched the software, we have had such an easy time conducting business with our vast customer base. Ringing in sales have never been easier, and we can now, for once, really track our sales by department and so much more. The software was very easy to learn and J.D. Associates was a big part of that! Their training process was not only well-performed, but our teacher made it fun as well! I'd recommend RetailPro and J.D. Associates to any entrepreneur or business manager!

Cons: I can't think of anything at all. There is nothing to date we dislike, and I can't see us ever changing our views.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2014
Amogh R.
Business Analyst
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2018

"Strong Customization but can still be improved"

Pros: * Very strong customization options.
* Its EMV compatible which is a big plus
* Its got strong Employee and customer management modules
* Strong reporting capabilities

Cons: * Not having ability to “edit” the preloaded report formats to suit our needs.
* There are few glitches here and there especially with a preloaded cards but customer service is usually quick to respond

• Reviewed on 31/07/2018
Skyler C.
Co-Owner
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2018

"Retail pro is decent"

Pros: Retail pro is a decent software for a consignment store. It is fairly simple to you and has a smooth layout.

Cons: My cons with the product is that there is more products out there like it with newer layouts and easier to use.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2018
Reid J.
  • Reviewed on 18/03/2014

"Retail Pro and Big Hairy Dog are best in class!"

Pros: Retail Pro is well developed, from an end-user standpoint. We don't experience system problems, and they continue to update and enhance routinely. Big Hairy Dog's support is fast, friendly, and - most importantly - knowledgeable!

Cons: We have been exceptionally happy with both for 11 years!

• Reviewed on 18/03/2014
Samantha S.
Apparel & Fashion
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2014

"Best point of sale system"

Pros: Retail Pro is an amazing system. The reports are so easy to understand and use. I get all the information I am looking for with simple reports. The service is above and beyond amazing; the techs are always there to help and answer any questions. They are really a great great company.

Cons: The only negative I have is that in the entry process, you must go to a different screen to add a picture to a matrix.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2014
Mary L.
Museums & Institutions
  • Reviewed on 27/03/2014

"Satisfied customer from the first!"

Pros: Their training is expert; their customer service is the best. This is why I go back over and over again to a vendor. If they treat me right, I will be their lifelong customer. They are the best when it comes to customer service. They stand behind everything that they preach!

Cons: I cannot think of anything that I do not like. They have always been attentive to my needs. I have had no problems ordering supplies, or getting tech support. They have my back!

• Reviewed on 27/03/2014
Steve C.
  • Reviewed on 18/10/2012

Comments: We have been using Retail Pro for over 12 years when it was a DOS system. We have 9 retail tobacco stores and I purchased the system for it's multi-store functionality. It is great when it comes to receiving product and distributing out to the stores. I can see what each store needs, and distribute to all stores in one screen. However, for five years I've been trying to get it integrated with my accounting package, QuickBooks, and it doesn't work. They will tell you is does, but it doesn't. The poll display is a waste of money. We paid thousands of dollars for their yearly registration fee and got nothing for it. Then we were told we needed to go from version 5 to 8 if we wanted support. They made no effort to tell us about bugs or upgrades to the system each year and they are still like that. I can't tell if it's the reseller/support company, Data business systems or if it is Retail Pro. I have called Retail Pro directly to try to get issues resolved and they never got back to me. Gift certificates are very difficult to do, you need to remember to put in a negative when you sell and positive to redeem. I don't understand how over 30,000 companies can use this program. It's good but not great!

• Reviewed on 18/10/2012
Marc B.
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2013

Comments: We own a retail clothing store in northern British Columbia, Canada and have been using Retail Pro for 5 years now. We have always been very satisfied with its ease of use, intuitiveness and overall user friendliness. Their techs have been responsive, available for consult every time I've had to call. They've always fixed or helped develop reports tailored to our needs. I tested many many different POS software programs before finally deciding on Retail Pro from our Canadian Vendor; Canadian Retail Solutions. Implementation was as painless as using a brand new software could ever be! I would recommend Retail Pro to any retailer, big or small.

• Reviewed on 27/09/2013
Jonathan w. W.
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2013

Comments: We are a retailer that has been utilizing Retail Pro for over 15 years. We utilize Retail Pro in every facet of our business: from Online to our Retail Store.
Reporting, Inventory Management, Point of Sale and integration into our A/P & A/R are all essential functions, and Retail Pro makes them efficient for our business
The reporting, details, and back-end support are extremely important when we are running a business 24/7.

Carol E.
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2017

"Learning something new"

Comments: It's easy to use, support was great and I felt comfortable

• Reviewed on 12/03/2017
Vahid M.
  • Reviewed on 24/12/2014

"Excellent in quality"

Pros: They offer excellent service and a quality product.

Cons: There is nothing that I do not like about about the product and vendor.

• Reviewed on 24/12/2014
Jose miguel S.
Software Development Team Manager
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2019

"Full Stack Retial Software"

Comments: I install Retail Pro for several Clients in America, with different requirements and Retail Verticals, but one common requirement is allow software to connect with thier ERP, and with the Retail Pro strong API, you can accomplish this. So, my experience has been mostly very positive.

Pros: I've been using Retail Pro since version 8 and now We are on Prism, which is a huge update and change of mind for Retail Pro user... but for the good.
Retail Pro Prism its a store distributed web application now, with this I mean that you can have one Retail Pro server per store, in a multi store chain kind of business. As a web application, it uses AngularJS as a front end, allowing a incredible flexibility to customize the User Interface, so you can create your own look and feel for the system, not only for the Cashier view, but for all the modules. About that, you have:
- Inventory
- Vendors and Purchases
- Transfers
- Customers
- POS
- Physical Inventory
- Inventory Adjustments
- Customer Loyalty
So, you see... It is the full package. One more thing: their global support with their partners around the globe will give your peace of mind for your multi store chain in almost any country, to name a few (Full North/Central/South America, Full EU, Some EMEA, Full ASIA, some Africa).

Cons: Cost, period...
But you are paying a Porsche for a Porsche, you know what I mean. This is a serious Retail software, for serious Retail business.
You can use it in small business as well, as its perfectly scalable. So, If you foresee a bright future in your Retail Business, you can bet on Retail Pro.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2019
Steve S.
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2017

"Retail Pro 9.4 is a very unfortunate product."

Comments: V9.4 is very very slow and without features or benefits to offset the moving from V8 to V9.4. If you love lack of features and watching a spinning wheel you will love Rpro 9.4

Pros: ECM polling replace the 32 bit polling in Rpro 8.6. In theory this allows close to real time updates to your main. unfortunately, seeing it failing for various reasons with no logs or error message to help navigate.Therefore, Never know if it works or not. The Retail Pro dealer has been helpful in trying to fix the numerous issues with Rpro.

Cons: Unbelievably slow. We have had replaced all hardware with SSD, tons of ram and fast processors. Views, filters, moving from Sales to Customer management system pauses each step of the way. Even direct connect to server does little to speed up process. Missing most basics elements. Can not view inventory by sold as this element is missing from filter. Likewise, Cannot view on order in inventory as this most basic feature is also missing from filters. We currently 95,000 active SKU very hard to manage as system is so slow. My Rpro dealer blames it on the Oracle data base.
Reporting in 9.4( why we have the system) is basically missing. We have to export all of the 9.4 data into our old 8.6 in order to run even the most basic reports. Therefore we are essentially running two systems. 9.4 heavy data base requires more management and is expensive and time consuming. If an emergency reinstall is needed it might take a while. Rpro 9.4 only allows one EFT interface. End user is stuck in a noncompetitive relationship with POS EFT which has it owns struggles. Have been with Retail Pro Since 1998. Been on V8 since 2004. V8 while not the most advanced product in the market place was a stable

• Reviewed on 17/12/2017
Sharon F.
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2018

"Retail Pro 9"

Comments: We pay for the software assurance and don't seem to get any benefit from the program. We haven't had our system updated anytime recently, since we have so many features that are custom we always run into issues right after updates and it requires us to have down time and constantly figure out what caused the issues. We also seem to have a problem with the follow through on projects from Granite/Retail pro. Once we contact granite with an issue it seem like it's either pushed to the side or forgotten about. When Granite is reminded of the issue multiple times through emails and phone calls they will fix the issue, it seems like we are constantly reminding them about any issue we are dealing with. We are currently trying to update our system so we are compliant with the tls from Cayan. The process started well over a month ago and the updates still haven't been installed. Yesterday we were affected by the brownout from Cayan for over 45min and lost multiple sales because of the software not being updated even though we are trying to be proactive on our end.

Pros: Customization of inventory screens, printing inventory, jewelry tags customization of checkout screen. Granite Info Sys has done great work for us in the past and continue to always follow through when reminded of issues. A lot of the custom pieces of our system make our store more successful because of the features & functions Granite created.

Cons: When using central gift cards, scanning cards always creates a "?" after the last number. Retail pro has done nothing to fix this issue, we have had the system for almost 4 years now and still deal with this issue daily. Granite Info Sys informed retail pro about this issue days after implementing our new system and still the bug remains. Applying updates to the software isn't easy and requires us to pay our software provider each time an update is available. Reports function, reordering capability, inventory alerts, speed of processing gift cards all lacks. Lack of customization for loyalty programs, we had a lot of custom work done by our service provider, anytime we have an issue it costs money to figure out what's wrong because it's something that wasn't available in retail pro. Lots of bugs still in the software that haven't been addressed.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2018
Craig C.
IT Project Manager
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2016

"Retail Pro review"

Comments: I have been working with R Pro version 8 from 2003 to 2015 with Valentino and now with version 9 with Philipp Plein, as far as a retail system, from both the POS and the logistic side, its an excellent software. Easy to manage and use. The ONLY downfall is the EFT. At the POS, you really need to have a good, reliable, and when working with luxury retail, a sleek device to expedite EMV transactions. The 2 options offered by Cyan , your ONLY EFT choice, are for mass merchants, not a luxury boutique. As far as support, One Step Retail has been my partner of choice and they are second to none in support and sales. Over the years I had many special requests from upper management, and OSR were very quick on assisting and "making it happen".

Pros: The simple structure of the POS. Very easy to learn.

Cons: The EFT module. Cayan is HORRIBLE!!! Please go back to Shift 4. Better support and nicer devices.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2016
Clive B.
Apparel & Fashion
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2014

"Retail Pro and Big Hairy Dog: a Winning Combination"

Pros: The Retail Pro product and Big Hairy Dog are unique in a number of ways:
1) The product has unmatched functionality that allows users to manage just about every conceivable aspect of a retail business (fashion, in our case) in a highly flexible and customized manner.
2) The product is mature and, as a result, is extremely robust.
3) Retail Pro is very active and responsive with their support program. Bugs are addressed in a timely and efficient manner. Extensions to the product occur on an ongoing basis.
4) Big Hairy Dog are an excellent distributor of Retail Pro. They are well established and have a large team of highly skilled professionals providing service and support on the Retail Pro product. Their knowledge and experience in both Retail Pro and POS generally is unmatched.

Cons: The user interface of the product could be more intuitive.

• Reviewed on 11/07/2014
Dawne T.
IT Manager
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees

"Retail Pro ver. 9.4"

Pros: After using Retail Pro ver. 8 for 13 years, version 9.4 does have some extra features that make getting needed information inside the program without running reports. You can customize screens and documents. The software is fairly intuitive. Conversion from version 8 to version 9 went smoothly without loss of data. The check in/out function of the software is improved in 9.4. Maintenance of data is much easier in this version and corrections can be done while users are using the software.

Cons: Retail Pro version 9.4 is VERY, VERY slow. The Purchase Order piece of the software has many bugs and the company is not responsive to fix them. The reports are inadequate and no customization is allowed without purchasing third party software. Even with third party software, the average user would not be able to sit down and customize a report, let alone create a new report. Basic information is unavailable in the reports delivered with the software.

Ronald J.
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2017

"V9 is horrible. V9 reports are total disaster."

Comments: I have built two business' using Retail Pro reports. I recommended it to every retailer I met. I could change reports to get all the information I needed to make good decisions. With V9, reports seem to be pretty much be in stone, unless I want to pay an exorbitant amount to have each one created. In V8, I could create whatever I needed in minutes. I don't comprehend how with all this new technology, we went so far backwards from where we were. V9 reports have cost me dearly. If not corrected, I will have to find a better option.

Pros: I have used Retail Pro for about 15 years, so I am very familiar with it. Rtech customer service reps are knowledgeable and easy to work with. V8 was awesome. Wish I could go back!

Cons: V9 is slower and harder to get around in. Reports are the biggest downfall. There is not even a simple sales tax report, nor any type of customer reports for companies.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2017
Abdullah E.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2018

"Love It and want more"

Comments: For once I can’t say I have complaints, they delivered on everything they promise, I only wish they had a Wholesale Pro in addition to their Retail Pro

Pros: It has nearly everything you would expect it to have for a retail store, whether it’s brick and mortar or an ecommerce, in terms of functionality and features.

Cons: I only wish they had a version for a wholesale store instead of retail but hence the name. Essentially the exact same thing but with features for quantity and bulk.

• Reviewed on 30/08/2018
John C.
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2014

"Retail Pro with our business partners at J.D. Associates"

Pros: We have been using Retail Pro for a number of years now and have been partnering with J.D. Associates, Leominster, MA since the start. J.D. Associates have helped up with moving us from Retail Pro 8 to RP9, as well as their normal day-to-day support. Because of the uniqueness of our business, we often have odd uses or requests of Retail Pro, but J.D. Associates helps us work through each request and challenge to help us move our business forward.

Cons: There are shortcomings with Retail Pro 9 reports. This is a known issue and shouldn't be a surprise. Other challenges we have seen could be due to how our system is configured, but we are working through that.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2014
Dave C.
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2013

Comments: We are Unlimited Skate and Snow in Banff/Canmore Alberta - a snowboard shop with a different attitude. We wanted a point of sale system that was easy to use. It needed to be reliable and also multifunctional with its reporting. Before Retail Pro, we had a non friendly DOS program!

We have been with Retail Pro for 10 years. The implementation was incredible. Their help with the changeover was wonderful. They were friendly, courteous, humorous, and efficient. It took them about 2 days to finalize everything, which was pretty incredible.
Honestly, when we train new people for our team, it takes less than 15 minutes to get them to understand how to use most of the sale portion of the program. The customer support is great. All of the techs are really helpful, friendly, and patient!
We always receive the help we need.
Benefits have included:
-quicker transactions
-ease of creating customer accounts.
-endless reporting options; you can pretty much create any report that you can think of

Ismail I.
IT administrator
Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2018

"Waste of money"

Pros: Very heavy software and it loading takes 2 minutes in clients machine , one more problem is may be shut down your computer without closing retailpro you should activate licence until it’s not open

Cons: In this software we can costomize any thing like i want also security permission setting is good.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2018
Sally S.
Museums & Institutions
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2014

"Happy Retail Pro User!"

Pros: First off, we have really enjoyed working with Big Hairy Dog for the last five years. We have an awesome trainer, who is fantastic on his followthrough, which is extremely important in the retail business. Our support rep is also very quick to respond when we need technical assistance. The software is very user-friendly and so diverse, covering most of our needs at the WOW.

Cons: Being my first time using POS systems, I have no complaints because of the training that we had from the very beginning. I have also talked with other Retail Pro customers, and they all feel the same when using this product.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2014
Brian L.
Account Executive Team Lead
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2018

"straight-forward POS"

Pros: A cloud-base POS that helps all transactions, including an "offline" mode in case you do not have internet at that exact time of need. You can print or store your transactions so you are in control of your own accounting.

Cons: I'd like to see customer support a bit faster ( we are dealing with money after-all), and although the system is customizable, I think it lacks with information in some of the reporting.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2018