About 3CX

3CX is an open standards IP PBX including video conferencing, live chat and mobile apps. Suitable for any business size or industry

Learn more about 3CX

Pros:

Phenomenal integration with the client both on CTI and softphone modes. Out of the box adequate integrations with popoular3rd party software.

Cons:

Sometimes it can crash and has the occasional bug which leads to frustrations in the call centre.

3CX ratings

4.2

8.6/10

3CX has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 320 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used 3CX before?

Robert
Robert
Head of IT in Australia
Chemicals, 51-200 Employees

Full featured Hosted SIP VOIP solution

Comments: Our on premise system had a number of issues. As it was not hosted it would only work in the office. Sometimes when we had an outage random users would lose their voicemail greetings. There was missing call queue and forwarding functionality that we required.

Pros:

Easy to implement. We converted over from our on premise Avaya system in less than an hour with little more than a couple of forms and spreadsheets to fill in. We have the option of the computer soft phone or the iOS app which means that people can decide how they receive/make "landline" calls. For thos in shared/high noise locations there are a number of voip deskphones that will also work. It gave us much better queue/forwarding functionality than we had before. Before this system any call forwarded to a mobile/another extension had the number of the extension doing the forward rather than the initial caller. Simple admin interface. Easy to use.

Cons:

There is no way to seperate the softphone volume from the generic computer volume so it can be quite a shock if you are doing something and the phone rings. There can also be annoying instances of the app trying to call on any number that you click on as it cannot identify phone neumbers. Minor things but room for improvement.

4 months ago

Hi Robert and thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a very good review. We hope you continue to have a good experience with 3CX. In regards to the cons you mention, if you have multiple speaker devices (computer, headset, monitor) you can select an individual device and set the ringer to be that and adjust the volume accordingly. If you wish, you can also exempt certain websites from having the numbers detected as telephone numbers, from the settings of the 3CX click-to-call extension.

Sam
Sam
Partner in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees

3CX is fine, but it is all about who handles the hosting

Comments: 3CX feels like it is a step up from a normal landline, but I don't see any wow factors that I feel like I could get from some of the other VoIP names. If you're looking for something less expensive than Ring Central, Phone.com, and OnSip, then you should be able to find a small VoIP provider willing to offer you a hosted package with 3CX for a lower price.

Pros:

3CX is straightforward. It seems to have all the necessary features for a small business. Still, as a business owner who cannot work on the admin side, I can only comment on the usability and stability. Compared to other softphone apps, I've never had significant issues. I use 3CX as a softphone on an iPhone, through a Yealink desk phone, via Chrome plugin, and on an iPad. Surprisingly, the limitations I see are not due to the daily functions. There are some features I would like, but there is nothing about this app that hinders my company's ability to operate without delay. We have users in China, Thailand, the Philippines, Jamacia, Venezuela, and the US. All locations work well, and the apps work even with limited internet access. There are times when the connection is not great, but this is usually due to the internet and not the apps.

Cons:

There is no way for my ringer on my softphone or desk phone to be customized to ring differently when someone calls my extension vs. ring group. I wish there were connectivity with Zapier so that I could push contacts from other services into our address book. It would be nice if the SMS chat feature worked more similarly to a shared inbox, where everyone could see it. You can only transfer the chat to another extension, which makes SMS hard to use as a group. Overall, the cons are not about the ability to use 3CX but the features I wish it had that could provide a better overall experience.

8 months ago

Hi Sam and thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying using our software and that it has helped you stay in touch with your employees throughout the world! Regarding the points you raised, desk phones can be configured to have distinctive ringtones for Queue Calls, so you should certainly consider switching to using Queues instead of Ring Groups. Apart from this, you would also get better reporting capabilities and a lot more polling strategies to choose from. For syncing you phonebook contacts, we do currently offer integration with Microsoft 365, but in the coming updates we will have a REST API that may also allow you to interact with the 3CX Phonebook, giving you the maximum flexibility in syncing your contacts between various platforms. Incoming SMS messages can be sent either to an Individual Extension or to a Queue, in which case all logged in members of that Queue will see incoming messages.

Ian
IT Support Specialis in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees

VOIP and Soft Phones

4.0 last month New

Comments: The experience with 3cx was great, along with the company that oversaw the upgrade once everything was in place and ready to go we switched off our analogue system overnight and removed desk phones the next day.

Pros:

The 3cx software makes remote changes a breeze. The ability to allow end users access to a phone over their computer without a physical phone saves cost of a phyisical phone. Users have reported that it is easy to use both making and receiving calls and have noticed no quality loss from our old phone system. It is infinitly easier to administer than our old system and i would not go back under any circumstances, even at the cost of my employment.

Cons:

The software has no cons, the only issues i have with any part of this are unrelated to the software just the servers hosting and in places were physical phones are installed.

Rachel
PPC Ecommerce Technical Manager in UK

Simple and easy to use

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

The interface is easy to you. It's useful to have a chat function too. Option of an app which is good when you're on the move

Cons:

Relatively basic software, I'm not aware of many additional features. The interface, although easy to use, is quite basic looking. It could look slightly more modern.

Cliff Ian
Deputy General Manager in Philippines
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51-200 Employees

3cX for your call center and VoIP needs

Comments: Overall, I have no complaints on 3CX as we are very satisfied.

Pros:

I love all the features of 3CX. I love how easy you can set it up, you can find the calls logs and recordings, plus it has a very comprehensive dashboard. Also, when we reach out to them to increase our accounts SC (concurrent calls), they are very responsive as they have a local partner from where I'm from and it was solved immediately.

Cons:

The only thing I don't like about 3CX is the provisioning of the softphone as in our setup, people come and go, and we need to provision whenever there's a new employee who'll use it. I think it's better if 3CX can have the login/logout functionality on the desktop app instead of provisioning every time. But it is really negligible and not a deal breaker at all.

6 months ago

Hi Cliff and thank you so much for taking the time to review 3CX! We are so glad to hear that you love the ease of setting up 3CX and all the great features offered!

Enterprise Admin | Devops & Java Developer |Cloud Admin (Azure, OCI, AWS ) | Solution & System Archi in Nigeria

Telephony system

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's actually a good telephony system both for SMEs and Enterprise business needs or purposes

Pros:

Easy setup and installation either on a physical box or cloud services.

Cons:

Low local support especially when there are issues.

4 weeks ago

Hello, thanks for the 9/10 likelihood to recommend! This means a lot to us and we appreciate you taking the time to review!

Anna
Director in Canada
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

our business line

4.0 last month New

Pros:

it is a good workable solution for both in office and remote agents. easy to train to use, no problems these 2 years

Cons:

transferring the call from cell phone is challenging, as we don't hear when it rings for the next phone.

Molly
Ecommerce Technical Specialist in UK

Easy to use but limited features

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Chat Feature is easy to use and instant and calls are clear. Minimal technical issues apart from the odd occasion when it goes down for an hour or so.

Cons:

The upgrade visually seemed more like a downgrade. Previous department groups etc were no longer included. If opening a chat with a new contact you have to return to main menu to select the contact and then chat

Demaris
Customer Service Representative in US
Consumer Services, 501-1,000 Employees

3CX for Buisnesses Calls

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I found it to be a good overall calling system.

Pros:

Simple, easy to use. Can be used mobile or desktop.

Cons:

Technology always has hiccups, it's just the nature of the beast. Sometimes it would ghost ring, and you wouldn't be able to answer it. It would roll the call. This was infrequent though.

2 months ago

Hello Demaris, Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback! We are also very pleased to see that overall you have a positive experience with 3CX.

Louise
Louise
Ecommerce Technical Assistant in UK

3CX Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall, my experience has been really good

Pros:

All team members ae listed and easily accessible to ring

Cons:

The app has got to be open to receive calls

4 weeks ago

Hi Louise! We thank you for this stellar review! We are super glad to hear 3CX has been really good overall!

shlomo
manager in US

We stopped wasting money on LANDLINES and chose 3CX as out internet phone PBX

Comments: For years we had 4 dedicated ATT land lines coming into the office. Most of the employees had 3-4 line phone on their desks, and we would have a few wireless handsets available dispersed in the building. At the time a fully enabled PBX system was simply not justifiable financially. The 3CX software based PBX system changed all this. With a single IP based SIP, we are able to hold up to 16 simultaneous calls! It also piggy backs on the TCPIP network, so when moving to the new office, we did not have to run and install a single phone rj45 jack. Within the day, every employee had a dedicated extension assigned that can be linked to their mobile phone (if they want) . We also created RING GROUPS allowing to dial an extension like 72535 (SALES) which would ring all the sales staff. Everyone liked the ease of picking up others calls, transferring calls, transferring to voice mail and more. You can also load an app to your IPHONE or ANDROID for 3CX. As long as you have DATA services or WIFI, your extension is fully functional anywhere you travel worldwide.

Pros:

Price, Ease of set up and feature rich capabilities. The price can be FREE if you are a small office. Still, even for a larger organization the pricing is extremely affordable. It took less than 90 minutes from download to our complete office set up, including 15 extensions. All this with zero training, just following intuitive user interfaces.

Cons:

The support is not great. While we can easily google and search through the 3cx portals, we did not feel there is adequate technical support readily available.

3 years ago

Thank you for your positive feedback. With regards to support. Support is offered via your reseller. If the reseller is not available, we can assign a new one, by emailing [email protected] If you would like to purchase a support ticket directly from us, it costs $75 a ticket and can be bought from the customer portal www.login.3cx.com

Andreas
Andreas
Owner in Canada
Telecommunications, Self Employed

3CX - The most complete IPPBX on the market today

Comments: It just works all the time. Windows or Linux (Debian) both versions whether in the cloud or on hardware are solid, solid, solid.

Pros:

When an IPPBX is able to run off of an Intel NUC and provide full call center functionality, CRM integration, soft client via WebRTC mobile client with ZTP integration with the leading IP phones and be set up literally in 10 minutes ... not sure how you can beat this !

Cons:

It has more to deal with their partner levels and it constantly changing along with the support they provide to resellers when quotas are not hit that has become a concern. Communication for license renewal has gone directly to end users instead of the reseller of record that has soured the community.

3 years ago

Thank you for your positive feedback. This is greatly appreciated.

Kelsea
Safety and Wellness Training Administrator in Canada
Airlines/Aviation, 201-500 Employees

Truly makes working remotely a possibility

Comments: 3CX has been a game changer for how I manager my time and work schedule. I can quite literally be anywhere in the world and not miss a thing. I like how there is the option to put the function on "Do Not Disturb" as well, for times you want to disconnect.

Pros:

For years I have had a flexible schedule which meant I was not always physically in the office. My concern was always that I was missing calls at my desk, or that the front desk personnel would have to forward the call to my cell phone. The 3CX software seamlessly patches my calls through AND shows the extension name and number the call is coming from.

Cons:

When I downloaded the software onto my iPhone, it also downloaded all of my personal contacts, which makes it harder to search easily for my colleagues and increases the likelihood of mis-calling the wrong person. I use 3CX only for work, so I do not like having my personal contacts mixed in.

3 years ago

Thank you for your positive review. The new IOS version which we are working on, works as you described. The contacts section will only show contacts from 3CX (Work). Your personal contacts will not be mixed. This is how it is designed. In Android you have a filter - Show ALL, 3CX, Android. If you do not want Personal contacts, deny the permission and check the setting "Do not ask again".

Teresa
Administrative Assistant in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

New to VoIP

Comments: Overall this is really a great product for the cost. Our IT company has been instrumental in setting this up and guiding us through the options available.

Pros:

The software is very affordable compared to other products we looked into and provides an array of options - almost anything we'd need.

Cons:

It doesn't integrate well between soft phone, desk phone, and app on the cell phone. Voice mail or missed calls have to be addressed individually, on each device. Also, if I refuse an incoming call on my cell phone app, I would expect that refusal to apply to the soft phone and desk phone as well, but all continue to ring.

5 months ago

Hi Teresa and thank you so much for taking the time to review 3CX. We are so glad to hear that 3CX has provided you with all the features you needed for your business and helped you save at the same time! Voicemail notifications are synced between the devices. Missed call notifications are synced between 3CX apps which are directly connected to 3CX via HTTPS. IP Phone missed call lists can only be reset from the devices themselves. Declining a call will only decline the call for the device itself as each device will receive its own INVITE message to establish a call and declining will only decline that leg of the call. Hope this helps clarify any confusion around the synchronization.

Jessica
Call Center Customer Service Representative in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Calls made easier and more organized

Pros:

The quality of the recorded calls is amazing and it makes them very useful for training purposes . 3CX gives you a lot of freedom to organize the call list in a way that works for you . The admin panel is centralized ,which makes it easy for managers to properly oversee everything.

Cons:

Configuring it when you are starting out takes a lot of time . Status changes ( from online to away and vice versa ) take a while to sync up and this could lead to missed call .

last year

Hi Jessica. So happy to hear that 3CX has enabled you to organize the call in a way that works for you. Installing 3CX from scratch, by following our online guides takes between 5-15 minutes typically, depending on what platform you are installing on (Windows/Debian amd64/Raspberry Pi). The time it takes to configure the system thereafter depends only on how big and complex it is. The statuses, if setup correctly, change on precisely on the second configured. If you were experiencing delays, it is most likely the NTP time that was consistent on your network. Our installation guides also mention when and where actions need to be taken to avoid this.

Gladys
Sales Manager in Philippines
Insurance Software, 201-500 Employees

Make calls to landline numbers with 3cx

Comments: cost benefits as making calls from a mobile device to a landline number is expensive in my country.

Pros:

We use 3cx in the office to make local and international landline calls from our phones. The software is absolutely free! No licenses required. You just need to install a software on your mobile device and you are ready to go. I like this because in my country it is costly to make a landline call from a mobile number. So with 3cx the cost is not charged to my mobile number account. So we can make client calls or cold calls with ease

Cons:

Sometimes we may be in remote areas to make a call. And if that is so, our internet connection sometimes drops and this will affect experience with the software. When this happens, we would need to rely on other means when making calls.

Mmathabo
IT Administrator in South Africa

Great Telephone System

Comments: Just had voice quality issue there and there, but it was on the settings and it was resolved.

Pros:

During the first lock down when everyone was forced to work from work, we had 3CX Apps and making calls from home as if we are in the office. The App comes with the Instant Chat platform and Video Conference. It is cheaper to make phone calls from this system.

Cons:

The Microsoft Teams integration hasn't really worked for me, thwy should fix the availability status sync - like when one is in a meeting.

last year

Hi Mmathabo. Thank you for the 5-star review. Currently, the availability status is not implemented but as you can see in our blog post in the following link, it is one of the next things on our to-do list! https://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/roadmap-microsoft-365/ Keep an eye out on our blog post and hopefully, we can convince you to give it another try when we have implemented this feature!

Taylor
Human Resource Generalist in US
Human Resources, 51-200 Employees

3cx review

Comments: Overall it has been a nice upgrade from the shoretel system. I experience issues with the app quite often, but the desktop/computer application and desk phones work great.

Pros:

With the ability to add the app to my cell phone, the program running on my computer and having a desk phone linked, it is super easy to receive and make phone calls.

Cons:

I wish that the software had a texting feature. There is a messenger feature that can be used between users, but text messages can't be sent which would be a huge plus for users that don't have company provided cell phones and don't want to give out their personal phone numbers.

3 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. We are actively working on adding a texting feature. Will be available soon.

Jordan
Jordan
IT Manager in US
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees

Adaptable and Progresive

Comments: I have managed 3CX for my company for over 6 years. During that time we have gone from hosting the PBX on Windows to Hosting on a Digital Ocean Linux VM. 3CX is much more stable on Linux. With a variety of hosting options, you should be able to fit 3CX to your environment and wallet size. Even having an always on backup server is an inexpensive, but necessary endeavor that will keep your employees and clients happy. 3CX is a very competitive option, with many PBX providers that I have queried not even wanting to attempt to compete against the 3CX PBX.

Pros:

New Features added regularly inexpensive multi-platform mobile fully featured for call centers or standard business pbx High Available backup PBX

Cons:

documentation can be outdated at times reporting is not the best

Kelsey
Firefighter/IT Support in US
Public Safety, 11-50 Employees

Has all the bells and whistles

Comments: Overall, the experience was positive. I was able to utilize the software for the intended purpose and it was beneficial to us the entire time we used it. We weren’t nickel and dimed by 3CX for premium features like a lot of the other mainstream services. And the customization potential was also a great thing.

Pros:

The thing I liked most about 3CX was the enormous potential it affords anyone who is seeking to setup a virtual phone system. There were no corners but in developing a feature rich service that is very affordable in price. Again, as stated in many of my reviews, I’m a fan of intense customization by the end user of any service. 3CX gave me the flexibility to customize nearly every aspect of the system to the degree that I chose.

Cons:

The thing that I liked least about the software was the difficulty in setting up the on-premises version of the software. Even being an IT professional, it was still very difficult to understand the instructions as they were written.

Orlando
IT Technician in South Africa

No better VoIP system

Comments: We have managed to work like we have never left the office during lockdown.

Pros:

You can make phone calls from anywhere in the worlds, even if you're outside the office / office network.

Cons:

Sometimes the voice quality can be poor if you do not have stable network, and the older iPhones do not support the latest 3CX App.

last year

Thank you for the review. With the upcoming 3CX iOS App (18.0.2) release, the minimum iOS version supported by 3CX will be iOS 14. This is to ensure a more modern, stable, and reliable experience for all our iOS users.

Jonathan
Director of Web Services in US
Management Consulting

Great in house solution, replaced asterisk

Pros:

We are a heavy Windows shop but were using asterisks/linux as our phone system. We liked the ease of management and the fact our windows admins could handle troubleshooting if needed. Updates are regular and we have no issues. We also resell the services and the multi-tenancy is great for larger organizations or inside our own cloud. I also like the Free version. Some of our 1 person shops use this as they really only need a basic PBX nothing special. The integration's to other software are nice for our clients also. Helps sell the product. Built in conferencing and web conferencing items are great for productivity.

Cons:

The call channel restriction is a pain. Say I have 9 users and they all are on the phone but some are calling each other. You have to purchase the 16 license. They calculate every call no matter if it is internal. I would be happier if they either discounted internal calls maybe 1/2 a call or something or had a license agreement where its . XX external, XX internal. I wish we had a little more control over web conferencing, maybe shared logos. Also you can only use web conferencing in Chrome. Would like to see this expanded on.

Lyle
Project Manager/Senior Systems Consultant in Canada

Works Great and Inexpensive

Comments: 3CX is very universal and helps our team work fully remotely. Our phone system works anywhere with a internet connection.

Pros:

Mobile App for cell phone which works great, can pick up and transfer calls Fully functional app for the computer Can connect many types of phones

Cons:

The interface I think could use a bit of a update, however it is functional and easy to use Audio can sometimes cut in and out

2 years ago

Hi Lyle. Great to hear 3CX is helping your team to work fully remotely! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback and wishing you a great week ahead!

System Engineer in US
Information Services, 11-50 Employees

Great PBX

Comments: Use the Linux version instead of Windows. It is much more stable.

Pros:

3CX made it easy to host your own VoIP phone system. With a little help from the free training (slideshows) I was able to install and configure it. The ability to configure a trial in a cloud service of your choice is also great for demoing to potential customers.

Cons:

Documentation needs a little work but a little Googling will find answers to most of the common issues. Licenses is a little pricey.

Associate Director: Data Operations in South Africa
Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 Employees

Affordable switchboard

Pros:

It is a good and affordable option to have a full telephone switchboard managed and hosted by a company. All employees linked can send instant messages and you can see if a college is on the phone. It can be installed on my mobile to have my work phone with me not to miss a call when not at my desk.

Cons:

We had some issues getting it installed on our server and for it to work with no maintenance. It was difficult to understand and the conference call feature do not always work as expected. Training is vital to understand the tool. Self training will not be the best in this case.