• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.6 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.5 /5

About Sunrise

Cloud-based bookkeeping tool to streamline finance & accounting, tax assistance & preparation, documentation, expense tracking & more.

Learn more about Sunrise

Peter D.
Owner/CEO
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2020

"Excellent Customer Services and friendly use"

Comments: I am very happy with the Services

Pros: I do appreciate my accountant follow up and keeping my books very updated, she is available all time to respond to any question and updates

Cons: friendly use, but more changes are need to adjust different accounts in running the Invoices

by Lendio on 16/06/2020

Hi Peter, thank you for your wonderful feedback. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and easy to use. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, so anyone can understand the health of their business. We are thrilled to hear that your bookkeeper has earned your trust to efficiently and effectively manage your books. Thank you for being a member of Sunrise, we appreciate your review.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2020
Nate R.
Director Of Operations
Graphic Design Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2018

"Simple Invoicing"

Comments: 5/10. It works, it's simple, but it doesn't give me all the option and tools that I would like when it comes to integrating and designing invoices. They just don't match up with the design scheme of my company and because of that, we have switched services, although it should be said, it's been a lot higher of a learning curve with more the complex platforms we've switched to.

Pros: A basic, fairly easy to use platform for creating and managing invoices. It's utility is fine, it does allow my clients to pay us through their invoices. It's because of this, that I give it a mediocre rating. However, I think there is room for improvement.

Cons: This app lacks the design and integration capabilities of its competitors and they seem to have been experiencing some growing pains lately. The templates are basic and allow for minimal changes in font, some color, and logo changes; that is about it though. Our company uses sales decks to issue quotes for projects and it would be great if I could integrate billy invoices into that, however design compatibility aside, billy invoices can only be structured vertically, not horizontally, which is how our deck are orientated. We've also experienced some glitches in notifications and connections to stripe, which is the processor they use.

by Billy on 21/09/2018

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your honest review. You are right that we are simpler than some of our competitors (though not any less powerful!). This is how we keep our costs low and our prices low for new entrepreneurs. It also helps small businesses who don't have accountants keep their books organized on a budget.

I am sorry that our invoice designs didn't work out for you. It sounds like you have a design focused business and I can understand the need to have even more control over how your invoices look.

Our invoice templates are clean and elegant and very customizable for most small businesses with levers for font type, color and style as well as logo placement and even background colors.

Thanks again for giving us a try and best of luck with your business!

-The Billy Team

• Reviewed on 17/09/2018
Mike O.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"Great Product, Excellent Value"

Comments: It's been a great system to build our billing and invoicing process on and I don't know of any others out there that are any better.

Pros: I originally started using this product when it was called Billy and since Lendio bought them out and turned it into Sunrise they have added options that have been very helpful. The best so far (for both clients and myself) is the subscription feature for recurring invoices. The software is intuitive and has more features than I actually use, but I do think using the expenses features would be great for myself and my business, I just have not set it up yet.

Cons: The editing of recurring invoices is clunky at best. If there are changes to recurring invoices I generally delete the old one and replace it with a new one because I've have several instances where an edited recurring invoice sits in the system and never sends which of course is bad for both us and the client.

by Lendio on 29/05/2020

Mike, thank you for your wonderful feedback. It brings us joy to know that the software satisfies your business needs. We are always rooting for small businesses and want to make the tool as user friendly as possible. Our Product Team works hard to consistently meet and exceed our users expectations. Thank you for the feedback on the default recurring invoices. I will share this information with our team. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Andres V.
Entrepreneur
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2018

"Great tool but needs some improvement"

Comments: I definitely like the tool, but it needs some improvements in terms of giving more control over the numbers to the users. Delete, void, etc.

Pros: I loved it once they connected the banks integration. This makes it very easy to do a reconciliation with your bank. The interface is great, and the reporting works good too.

Cons: It should be more customizable and we should be able to remove "unreconciled entries". Currently the only way to remove those is by uploading a .csv file which make is very time consuming to get everything up to date. Also we should be able to break a payment into different customers. For instance, I import payments from Stripe, but I have to attribute all the payments to the same person because of Billy limitations.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2018
Kristina C.
Business Owner
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees

"Awesome Software"

Comments: For the most part, they have always been very accommodating and respond quickly.

Pros: It’s easy to use, allowing the use of many features or just a few without affecting the overall end result.

Cons: There was a change recently made where now you can’t approve an invoice without sending it to the customer first.

by Lendio on 15/05/2020

We are thrilled you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise, Kristina. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

Sunny T.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2019

"Easy to use, but unsure of it's future"

Comments: Overall, I have enjoyed using Billy, especially when I was just starting my business. I have been trying out all the major competitors lately, and was surprised that most miss some of the multi-currency features Billy has (other than the exchange rate issue). I would consider continuing to use Billy, but I am concerned about its future development. It feels more like a 1-2 man show that is just trying to keep its head above water, as opposed to software that is going to get better over time.

Pros: - Quick, easy to use interface
- Really easy to match imported transactions, even with foreign currencies
- Easily account for transfer fees, unlike other accounting software
- Handles multi-currency well, other than one fairly significant thing (see con list)

Cons: - exchange rate for foreign currency transactions is based on date of input, not date of transaction (this can be a big deal when reporting your taxes. Definitely let your accountant know)
- having issues with a certain bank feed
- can only have one live Paypal feed, meaning you can't associate different Paypal currencies with different accounts

• Reviewed on 21/02/2019
Chelsea S.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/05/2020

"Super Simple Bookkeeping Option for Small Nonprofit"

Pros: Our team is all volunteer and we don’t have the resources for a lot of expensive software or training. Using Sunrise is pretty intuitive and you can learn the system really quick.

Cons: It would be nice to have an app. I think there use to be one that let you take photos of receipts but I haven’t been able to use it.

by Lendio on 29/05/2020

Hi Chelsea, thanks for being a Sunrise member and leaving a great review. We are so happy to hear that Sunrise helps you accomplish your business's tasks in a quick, stress-free way. Our Product Team works hard to consistently meet and exceed our users expectations. We will be launching a new version of the mobile app very shortly! You'll be one of the first to know. Thank you for your awesome review. Happy bookkeeping!

• Reviewed on 13/05/2020
Anthony F.
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees

"SURPRISE"

Comments: I will say I have been over impressed with Sunrise and my bookkeeper [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]
. As other businesses right now are probably thinking, how do I get the data, continue to pay for ancillary services like Sunrise, do I get rid of it? We are nervous and scared about our small business on a regualr basis. I will day Sunrise has stepped up and been a huge help in this regard. The partnership with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]
has been so amazing and so needed In these times when all I am thinking about is how do I keep this business open and what are our numbers saying. Again I was so torn about keeping this service because how we pay for this during these times but it there is one area I'm happy we decided to keep its Sunrise.

Pros: The ability to populate the data in a time right now accurately and time is super important. This has been very helpful

Cons: so far so good. I am constantly looking for faults. I would like to see the mobile application much more user friendly and accessible.

by Lendio on 29/04/2020

Thank you, Anthony, for your amazing 5-star review. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and reliable. We are so happy to hear that your bookkeeper was able to organize your accounts quickly and thoroughly. We are lucky to have her on our team. Thank you again for your feedback.

Edward C.
Design & Production Officer
Higher Education Software
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2018

"Billing Clients made Simple and Easy"

Comments: I just love Billy. The name is great. The interface design is great. And it is easy to generate and track invoices.

Pros: Billy has such a memorable name yes, it is for billing. I love the ease of creating invoices and Billy does the hard job of accounting and tracking. Plus,

Cons: New features are rolling out too slow. Perhaps, I live in a place where there is no sale tax. However, the invoices created by Billy must include a lot stating Tax = 0 dollar in the past which just was got rid of lately.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2018
Marketing
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"Too Simple to Use"

Pros: the cost of the program is very cheap which is good to keep track of where money is, creating invoices, uploading bills, and generating PDF's to send to customers. The interface is very great as well and allows you to reconcile with your banks in a pretty easy fashion

Cons: There really isn't that much to this program aside from basic accounting practices and reconciling. Sometimes the imports, especially when trying to upload a file can result in errors. Setting something up such has recurring payment reminders, I think would make this app a lot more efficient.

• Reviewed on 31/07/2019
Tim B.
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2016

"Billy runs our small business"

Comments: My wife is an independent hair stylist, basically she rents a chair. We have been using Billy for our book keeping since we started it in mid 2015. It is everything we need, and for being free you absolutely cannot beat it.

Pros: Simple interface, exceptional customer service (considering it is free), and I can access it from any device I want.

Cons: Not much to dislike so far. It is a fairly basic program, so if we had a larger or more complicated business, I could see it maybe not being as useful.

• Reviewed on 26/08/2016
Jason C.
Ceo
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2020

"Good software"

Pros: Good softwareEasy to use easy to understand does not take much time to learn the ins and outs of the software to be proficient in the sport is top notch when you have a question

Cons: Not really a lot not to like about the software somethings are repetitive but you can change it in settings.

by Lendio on 27/05/2020

Jason, we're glad you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2020
Debbie O.
Owner and Blogger
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/11/2018

"Basic but just what I need"

Comments: I amsaving money compared to my previouse accounting package, but this is much more simple and streamlined.

Pros: I find the software very simple and basic. It does exactly what I need it to, with no complications or awkward stuff. That being said i am an accountant and I know what I'm doing - might be a little bit too basic for a total beginner....

Cons: Billy is still very much in start up phase, and not everything works exactly as I would want yet, although I think they are heading in the right direction. Over the last six weeks or so I finally managed to connect my bank account nd transfer transactions automatically - once I manage to connect my Paypal account too I will be in heaven

• Reviewed on 04/11/2018
Jeremy E.
President/ Founder
  • Reviewed on 20/09/2017

"I have been using Billy for about 2 weeks and I love it!"

Comments: This software was used for invoicing our clients and managing expenses. We are transitioning (slowly but surely) to only using this for all our invoicing needs.

Pros: I like how you can setup accounts for your employees to log in to send invoices, This software allows you to setup recurring monthly invoicing (which is awesome). You can upload your receipts and keep track of expenses all in the same app.

Cons: The invoicing can be a bit of a hassle until you get all the items input into the system. But, it does work great. I can't update my banking information yet. I contacted support and they are aware of the issue with my bank, and they are getting it fixed and said in October it should be up and running. This is a new company and I do love the platform so I don't mind. I think this was a great investment for my business.

• Reviewed on 20/09/2017
Bevan V.
Graphic Design Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2017

"Easy accounting for right brain thinkers...."

Comments: As a graphic / web designer using my left brain is tough, so accounting certainly does not come easy. Our rep makes it so easy for me. It's super pretty interface presents the right information in the right places - which is probably why right brain thinkers like me love it!

Pros: Recurring invoices

Cons: There are one or 2 features I'd like to see. 1) I'd like the recurring billing to recognize any price increase etc made in your inventory. 2) Would like the 'Description' included in the table view.

• Reviewed on 28/04/2017
Arpad S.
Brand Designer | UI, UX & Visual Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Fast and friendly bookkeeping"

Comments: My experience is still good, I like using Billy. As the time of writing this review Billy is my current invoicing software. I like how fast it is, It just lacks some advanced customization features. Even though the needed features are on their roadmap for more than a year now...

Pros: The interface is very clean and fast, issuing and invoice is very easy. You can create quotes too and send directly to your clients.

Cons: Still in early stages, but it's heading in the right direction. I find the lack of translations limiting. For example you can not issue an invoice in other languages than English.

Marina K.
Cpa- firm owner
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2017

"Perfect for simple, repetitive billings"

Comments: Easy tracking of paid & unpaid bills

Pros: Ease of use- quick customer set up for both companies & individuals as well as easy products billing codes set up

Cons: When emailing a bill, Can't customize the email wording when to have several pre-set templates, i.e.; 2nd notice wording, monthly, quarterly, annual bill, different salutations, etc

• Reviewed on 29/04/2017
Anthony R.
Sales
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2018

"Naming My Firstborn Child After this!"

Pros: Billy has been an unbelievable asset to our company and we can not say enough great things about this product.

Cons: If saving your time and your money is a con that would be the only bad thing that I could say about Billy!

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2018
Kevin M.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/06/2020

"Full Featured"

Comments: If I ever need help or further explanation of a feature, the help guides are very well written and support is available within the app. However, I don't think they work weekends.

Pros: It has so many financial and bookkeeping features inside that I still haven't used half of it in my two years of using them. I've been a member since the beginning when it was called Billy.

Cons: Not many cons but if you're not a CPA or similar professional , you probably won't use the majority of features included in the free account.

by Lendio on 16/06/2020

Kevin, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the awesome review.

• Reviewed on 04/06/2020
Yannick W.
Managing Partner
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2018

"Easy to use & does everything you need"

Pros: - Very easy to use web interface
- Nice statistics, automatically calculates vat for tax return, informative dashboard

Cons: - Unfortunately my Bank isn’t supported yet
- Some more customization-options would be nice
- The API could be simplified
- No recurring expenses

• Reviewed on 21/11/2018
International Business Officer
Import & Export, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"Great platform but needs some improvement"

Comments: Really great experience, however sometimes the system doesn’t react well especially when there is a pop up window, also they need to add a good payment getaways because Stripe is not bad, but for whom doing B2C business to wait 7 days to receive the money and with 3.4% commission doesn’t help much.

Pros: Simple interface, and easy to use for small and medium size of business

Cons: Payment getways, really we need more options for money issues.

Professional Training & Coaching, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2018

"Great Software for Entrepreneurs"

Comments: It’s been a good experience thus far. They are continually making improvements to their software. (I’m excited to use the app!)

Pros: I like the ease and ability to keep my business finances in order. The dashboard is great along with the other features - being able to create invoices with a link for payment, profit/loss and balance sheets, and tax statements.

Cons: There is nothing I dislike about the software so far.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2018
Keith K.
Operations Manager
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2017

"Billy is just the software we need for our small business."

Comments: Accepting credit card payments from customers via Stripe.

Pros: We enjoy the simplicity of the Billy software. The ability to invoice customers and give them options on paying their invoices Has made this process easy. We do not need to sign up with a merchant account service.

Cons: The reconciliation part of Billy is a bit cumbersome and difficult to learn. I believe a little more use and learning will make this easier.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2017
Joshua Y.
Founder/CEO
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2017

"Solid, easy to use, and reliable billing system"

Comments: It works really well, was easy to setup, and has helped create more of a professional feel to my small company.

Pros: Billy is incredibly simple to use and creates professional invoices/payment system. I can easily maintain all of my businesses billing needs.

Cons: Might not be as feature rich as a system like quick books. There is a certain about of cost of goods tracking that I can tell would be more complicated using billy.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2017
Moira B.
Business Management
Accounting Software, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2018

"Billy is better than the previous intern billy."

Pros: Billy is a simple and easy to use accounting software. Billy allows files to be managed without having to deal with clunky, complicated interfaces. Billy is full of features that range from necessity to cant live without.

Cons: Billy has some minor bugs and glitches that show up once in a while, nothing concerning though.

• Reviewed on 15/12/2018