• Overall
    4.5 /5

About Canopy

Practice management software built to empower accounting firms to spend more time helping their clients succeed.

Learn more about Canopy

Showing 25 reviews of 93

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"IRS transcripts at the push of a button!!"

Comments: Canopy is always upgrading and improving their software based on constant user feedback.

Pros: I love how easy it is to setup a new client in this software. Once set up, it's one click to get IRS transcripts downloaded for my review. This saves me at least an hour each week in comparison to the software I used to use.

Cons: There's really nothing to dislike about this software. It does what it says it will do and it saves me time.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020
Jennifer M.
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2020

"Canopy Program Is it worth the money"

Comments: Canopy was a great program, I just don't believe it was worth the money they were asking by year two, so as a business we got rid of it.

Pros: Canopy was very easy to implement and use, it saved alot of time and space as far as filing and was very convenient for a secure upload area for clients.

Cons: I felt it was unnecessary for the program to create files for spouses just because you put them in the profile for the original client. I didn't like that you couldn't change the profile up to fit different types of clients. Also the cost kept going up each year.

• Reviewed on 24/03/2020
Arnez H.
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2018

"Time saver"

Pros: I use this product to communicate with clients, organize files, manage time. Great for client to go to their portal and access files without having to communicate with my company

Cons: The mobile compatibility not efficient. No app. Mobile and iPod web is not ease to use. Needs to be more convenient for my clients and myself on the go.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2018
Mark B.
Business Services Director
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/03/2018

"Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!"

Comments: It's an excellent client database and portal.

Pros: Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Cons: There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software:
1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone.
2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks.
3. Inability to print notes
4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.

• Reviewed on 09/03/2018
Antonietta C.
Administrative Assistant
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"We all love the program! It has kept us better organized! It's so easy to use!"

Comments: Canopy is easy and secure program to use to communicate with our clients. The uploading, tasks and engagement feature is used on a daily base in our office. I also, like the fact that we upload files in Canopy and make them visible or non-visible to our clients.

Pros: It's safe and secure. Clients are able to upload documents and the documents are saved their portal which as a result, keeps us better organized. The visible and not visible feature for files is a great feature because they are certain documents that the client doesn't need to see but are important for internal use. The task feature keeps us organized and we know exactly the status of each client. We are still learning Canopy capabilities and features.

Cons: Be able to move files from one client portal to another. We numerous clients whom keep uploading to the wrong portal because they have access to their individual and entity. I spend a lot of time downloading each file, saving it to me desktop and then dragging it over to the proper client portal. Not being able to delete a task from the client portal. If two people are in the same client portal and someone deletes and uploads a document we noticed that the client portal gets all discombobulated. Being able to print from the engagement feature conversations or files that were either uploaded from the client.

Elisabeth G.
  • Reviewed on 30/05/2018

"I have had an outstanding experience with Canopy!"

Comments: Client satisfaction, reliable (and hopefully secure!) file-sharing. Potential to have a more efficient tax practice. I feel like i didn't have time to dive in to all feature fully during tax season, but hope to spend some time this Fall tinkering with the software.

Pros: Helping me organize the data and correspondence of 200+ tax clients. I got hooked by the fact that it keeps copies of all my email correspondence. But the biggest surprise was all the positive feedback I received from my clients about how easy it was to use, especially the file uploading. I had a previous product that was a complete nightmare. Around 40% of the clients who tried using it were unable to. Working on taxes brings up a lot of anxiety in people so anything I can do to make the experience smoother goes a long way. Having a reliable, user-friendly product to offer my clients feels GREAT!

Cons: Annual subscription fee that will likely increase as the product is continually enhanced. It's also a little hard to organize the accounts of married couples. They file a joint return so in many respects only need one account. But I like to correspond with both spouses and I haven't figured out a way to do that within one account. If I made one spouse's account inactive, it also deactivates their email address so I'm unable to correspond with them.

Mckinley J.
Managing Member
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2018

"I have had a good experience using Canopy. The website functionality has been very good."

Pros: I like the ability to produce documents that are ready to deliver to clients or the IRS once I have completed the required forms. Additionally, I like the ability to make changes without having to reproduce documents. The link that can be sent directly to clients for data input has been very helpful. Having tax transcripts that are readily accessible on my desktop is a very important feature.

Cons: I think that the software should include a feature that will allow you download transcripts overnight. I think the software would be enhanced if some of the additional features that follow are included in the software: Case Diagnostics, Fee Calculator, Searchable IRS Manual and IRS Contact List. It would be very helpful if other users within the same office could utilize Canopy at some add on rate or multiple user environment. Some of the tax resolution practitioners are part of small office environments. It would be good to have a product that could better fit the needs of the smaller office environments. T

• Reviewed on 05/04/2018
John J.
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2018

"Canopy has simplified the resolution process saving me time."

Comments: This product is necessary for me on a daily basis. I benefit from many of it's features.

Pros: The three areas that I use the most are the 433A, OIC and quick access to transcripts. The combination of these three functions allows me to quickly evaluate a clients resolution options. This also creates for me an overview allowing me to better focus on what I need to so that I can more quickly get a handle on the problem and address it with both the IRS and the client.

Cons: When I first learned about Canopy my understanding was that they were specializing in "tax resolution" and concentrating on that area. It appears that they are now broadening their market. I understand why they would want to do this but often newer businesses start to expand or move away from what they did best and water down or slow developing their original product. I fear that Canopy is doing just that and there original product will suffer.

• Reviewed on 24/05/2018
Lauren J.
CPA
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2019

"Great Product! Such a Time Saver!"

Comments: Love it! I would recommend it to anyone who regularly deals with IRS transcripts! Has saved us so much time!

Pros: Pulling IRS transcripts using this software is a dream. When you get transcripts through the IRS website you have to pull them one at a time, and if they aren't ready yet you have to repeat this process everyday. With Canopy, you enter the taxpayer's information and then all you have to do to refresh the information is click the refresh button. So much easier to use! Plus you can setup multiple client at one time and let the software run in the background until it has checked them all with the IRS, meanwhile you can move on to other work.

Cons: It would be easier if you didn't have to reestablish the link to the IRS everyday, and wait for the IRS code to come through. However, for security reason I understand why this is necessary.

• Reviewed on 07/08/2019
Phillipa W.
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2019

"WFS - Canopy"

Comments: I have found that a great deal of my clients have enjoyed the Canopy app. I have gotten feedback that it is good to have their return on the go. I find that it has saved me some time.

Pros: I have a great deal of clientele that cannot come to my office, because of their location or timing. So Ihae use the e-signature and i has helped me considerably to get the signatures that I need.

Cons: When I set up Canopy on my side, I set folders. I think that it would be great that the client gets it as a folder as well so that they do not have to scroll through all the forms that are sent. I find that I have to label each form by date. It would be better If I can send them a file labeled by year.

• Reviewed on 26/02/2019
George D.
  • Reviewed on 30/04/2018

"Software really helped to simplify the tax season for me."

Comments: Establishment of client database, transfer of files/documents through the portal and the integrated Stripe support for collecting credit card payments.

Pros: Ability to have a real database of clients. Ability to collect fees through Stripe integration with Canopy. Great to send out single email communications. Most importantly is the client portal, that was incredible and saved a huge amount of time for document transfer.

Cons: Mass mail feature did not work well. I chose to integrate with Google and most of my messages were instantly rejected by Google. I had to go to Mail Chimp. Integration with that platform might be nice.

• Reviewed on 30/04/2018
Veronica M.
Enrolled Agent/President

"Excellent"

Pros: Like how I can do everything in one software - all the forms, poas, etc in one engagement. Love the software.

Cons: The task system is still clunky. I understand the update, but I really like the simplicity in the orignal task system.

Jennifer V.
Account Specialist
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2018

"Our office LOVES Canopy!!! We love how user friendly it is and they have great customer service!"

Comments: Canopy helped us streamline our process and allows our entire team to be in the know.

Pros: I love that it's so user friendly and the customer service is great! I love that they are always contacting us about new ideas to integrate into the program and they have implemented them.

Cons: The software is kind of pricey. As a small office, the cost is pricey, but we love the software so we pay it.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2018
Terry H.
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2018

"very helpful in pulling information for client support"

Comments: The ability to extract and retain information related to client tax information for multiple years in one concise manner.

Pros: Convenience of extracting info from IRS website in a concise manner and the ability to see a lot of information as once

Cons: very expensive for the value received and seems limited in its functionality for the price. It appears that it is designed to offer more practice management functionality but it seems once I paid for it, the support to train how to use it disappeared. No phone calls, just pop up messages. Very lazy marketing strategy.

• Reviewed on 24/03/2018
Tiffany B.
Admin

"So far so good."

Pros: Canopy has helped our office become much more organized. We are absolutely loving the portal for our clients too.

Cons: I wish there were a way to track updates on tasks and a way for us to do our billing through canopy.

• Reviewed on 30/05/2018
Enrolled Agent (Tax Preparation)
  • Reviewed on 11/01/2018

"EASY TO USE, BUT LACKS SOME FEATURES LISTED BELOW"

Pros: MODERN DESIGN, EASY-TO-USE, CLOUD-BASED SOFTWARE, BRANDING, TEMPLATE LETTERS FOR GENERIC IRS RESPONSE LETTERS, GREAT WEBSITE AND LAYOUT

Cons: THERE WERE A FEW TOO MANY SALESMAN PUSHING THE PRODUCT TOO AGGRESSIVELY BEFORE I HAD TIME TO DECIDE IF IT WAS SOMETHING I WANT. I PURCHASED, BUT REALIZED I ULTIMATELY PREFERRED THE "SUGGESTED PRICING OF SERVICES" FEATURE FROM PITBULL TAX OVER CANOPY.

• Reviewed on 11/01/2018
Sharon C.
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2017

"New Customer"

Comments: I am exceptionally pleased with my use of Canopy software. It has made completing, reviewing, and updating offer in compromises for the IRS easier. I also love the look of the reports produced by the tranacript delivery system.

Pros: Easy to use.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2017
Victoria D.
EA
  • Reviewed on 01/08/2018

"price is great for transcripts"

Pros: very good reports make things very easy to read and to interpret. this software saves a lot of work

Cons: very slow in producing reports from transcripts have called about it but no results. does not come back to say caf is not on file yet

• Reviewed on 01/08/2018
Emery S.
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2018

"Product not yet ready for production."

Comments: I was told I could cancel within 30 days and get back my initial deposit. I sent a written cancellation in 20 days and told I would get a phone call. No one to speak to in customer service and I just received a charge for next months service. I think its a real product but smells like a scam.
I just want to cancel and get refunded.

Pros: I was able to get 1 client report that was well organized. 5 other client attempts failed.

Cons: The program was not consistent in processing transcript requests. Better to do it for free through the IRS with less hassle.

by Canopy on 23/01/2019

Hello Emery- We were able to check into your account and it looks like you were refunded. Have you been able to pull any transcripts with our Chrome extension? That should have fixed any bugs you were experiencing. Since Transcripts is free you do still have access to that feature.

• Reviewed on 29/12/2018
Gene W.
Principal and Owner
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2019

"Unreliable"

Comments: I will never deal with them again.

Pros: When the product worked the transcript feature was useful. However, it was down as often as it worked.

Cons: The company said I could try the product and cancel for up to 6 months. They now are refusing to cancel.

by Canopy on 23/01/2019

Hi Gene- Sorry to hear that you have not been happy with your Canopy subscription. We typically have a period of only a month to cancel your subscription, and after that you are locked in for a year.
Here is a link to our terms and conditions https://www.canopytax.com/tos/.
We would love to get on a call with you to help you use Canopy to its fullest while you still have your subscription. Please email or call your account manager to set up a training. All training is free and comes with your subscription.

• Reviewed on 14/01/2019
Michael R.
Senior Tax Manager
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2018

"Canopy has saved me time in ease of use in obtaining IRS transcripts."

Comments: Time savings.

Pros: Ability to save my clients power of attorney information so I can just refresh and pull a new transcript.

Cons: Sometimes it's not so user friendly. It's not always easy to perform some functions. I'll add a contact and the transcript pull might not work right away and they don't appear in my client list under transcripts.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2018
Dan M.
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2018

"Terrible. Sold a product that was not nearly as functional as they purported"

Pros: Left after 30 days. The sales team is efficient. Not so much the implementation team after the contract is signed.

Cons: They held me to a annual subscription because I missed the trial period deadline due to their scheduling mix ups regarding training. Feels like a trap to get a full year from me. Email me for a personal review

by Canopy Tax on 22/02/2018

Hi Dan! We are sorry to hear about your negative experience. All of our customers agree to an annual subscription by signing a terms of service agreement at the time of purchase. It looks like you have been corresponding with our customer success team. They are happy to continue to work with you so that you can get the most out of your subscription.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2018
Kianga S.
Workday Grant Administrator
Accounting, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/01/2020

"Canopy Review"

Comments: It was good

Pros: I like the flexibility of being able to work with this software from everywhere and the options to pull info from other systems into it

Cons: It was hard to grasp how to send files securely using this software

• Reviewed on 04/01/2020
Danny N.
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2018

"Canopy takes the headaches out of client management by offering a way to keep client info organized."

Comments: Improved practice management and time management. As well as a simple way for clients to securely share their files with me.

Pros: That all client info, files, communication, notes, and tasks are in one application. It has helped eliminate the need to jump around from application to application to find the info I need to manage all my clients accounts.

Cons: The task feature can use some updates in simplification and added features. I still prefer Jetpack Workflow to help manage my tasks until Canopy improves this feature. I also get frustrated that there isn't a way to simply email a file stored in Canopy to a client that maybe isn't using the portal feature, rather than downloading and adding to an email as an atachment,

• Reviewed on 27/04/2018
Client Services/Paralegal
Legal Services
  • Reviewed on 03/05/2018

"Great tool for managing client tasks"

Pros: I like being able to assign tasks and monitor them. I like how easy it is to use for our clients. They have very little trouble navigating the site.

Cons: There are not a lot of things that I don't like about the software. Sometimes, this is not a frequent event, it doesn't allow me to edit an existing invoice, but once I refresh, the issue is taken care of.

• Reviewed on 03/05/2018