• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.5 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.4 /5

About FreshBooks

An easy invoicing and accounting solution starting at $6.00/mth (first 6 mths). Join 24 million people who've already used FreshBooks.

Learn more about FreshBooks

Showing 3,501 reviews

Randal W.
Managing Partner
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2021

"Simple, yet powerful cloud based invoicing with project management"

Comments: We still love Freshbooks for our day to day use. We use the totals and tax reports for our accountant who use another product to do the "real" accounting. We use this for billing and the clients love it.

Pros: When we were small, we would use Freshbooks exclusively for invoicing (recurring is a life saver) and project management for invoicing our time. We love the payment reminders (30, 60, 90 days)

Cons: Ticketing system was poor, so we use another program that will sync with Freshbooks.

• Reviewed on 11/03/2021
Stergios B.
Farmer
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2020

"Easy payments"

Comments: It has free and premium users for simple payments

Pros: It’s very easy for small companies payments are very simple

Cons: Very simple payments you can use the premium account for more simple

• Reviewed on 29/12/2020
Brad M.
Creative Head
Events Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2020

"Accounting for dummies"

Comments: Overall I cant fault the product and would definitely recommend it to any business owner. The only thing I wish was possible, is to pay in my local currency for budgeting purposes.

Pros: I started using Freshbooks when I was given the opportunity to start a company in the wedding industry. At the time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to bookkeeping but FreshBooks made it easy to manage. What I loved about the software was the journey I followed, from Quotation to final invoice. The ability to send the quote/invoice with a simple click streamlined my business process. I eventually had to hand over when I couldn't handle the load, and because of the intuitive software, it was an simple handover. When I needed a report, i didn't have to wait for it to come from my bookkeeper, I just jumped online and got what I needed quickly and easily. Oh the cherry on the cake was the app. I used to showcase at trade-shows so the app allowed me to draw up an invoice and email the client without leaving the booth, or needing my laptop.

Cons: The price point was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially in an economy where the $ is much stronger than my local currency. The fluxuating market made budgeting a nightmare, and when getting a start up off the ground, every cent counts. While I could work around that, the one thing I disliked was the fact that one could go back and edit invoices/quotes post creation. I have since learnt that this is a big no no, but at the time I was non the wiser. I unfortunately lost money due to this, as many cash sales invoices were edited, and the balance pocketed.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2020
Randall B.
IT Support Specialist
Higher Education Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2018

"FreshBooks provides small businesses with some of the best invoicing and billing features available."

Comments: Billing and invoicing were made much easier using this software.

Pros: FreshBooks gives small businesses a well-designed and intuitive user interface that can easily be used for a variety of different functions, most notably billing, and invoicing. Users are given a wide array of attractive template designs to choose from when creating invoices, allowing for catchy, yet professional looking documents. FreshBooks also provides users with tools for team collaboration, estimates, and projects, all of which can be easily navigated and set up to increase your small businesses' ability to maximize communication, send automatic reminders, submit proposals, and secure jobs with relative ease. As an accounting package, FreshBooks also provides users with the ability to perform some fundamental bookkeeping and accounting functions, has some bank reconciliation functions, enables you to accept online credit card payments, and provides many of these features via their full-featured mobile application. Last but not least, FreshBooks provides excellent customer service from the start. A detailed and easily followed tutorial will help new users get started, while their well-trained staff is always ready to provide users with answers to any questions or issues they may encounter. FreshBooks is very proud of their customer service and their customer satisfaction rating, and it really shows when you speak with one of their representatives.

Cons: One limitation in FreshBooks as an accounting package is the fact that they utilize single-entry accounting. While this may not be an obvious flaw to a new small business owner, it will become apparent as more accounts are created, employees are hired, and payment options are implemented. Single-entry accounting is quick and simple, but it certainly leaves something to be desired. Over the years some application updates have diminished or completely removed some useful features, like service and customer records, and inventory tracking, all of which were very convenient and helpful features.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2018
Jon M.
Founder/President
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2016

"A SaaS using Freshbooks API"

Comments: Prior to integrating with Freshbooks (FB), we evaluated a handful other vendors to use for our billing/invoicing integration (bookkeeping wasn't a concern at the time) and found that the other guys simply didn't handle subscription billing, taxes, and/or automated billing like we needed. During the integration about a year ago, I was blown away with FB's customer service. How many companies these days have a human answering the phone within one or two rings? That's right - no auto attendant, no leaving voicemail necessary. These guys make customer service a priority, hands down - and it's some of the best I've ever seen. Here's an example: a few weeks ago when a DoS attack brought down DNS for much of the internet, FB was affected. I hadn't seen the news, so I called FB to report the problem. During this giant outage where I know they had to be receiving an enormous volume of calls, a live FB operator answered the phone within one or two rings and explained the DNS issue. Logistically I don't know how they pulled that off, but I was impressed. So nothing's perfect, right? Here's the bad - and the reason for only 4 starts on the features/functionality. While we weren't initially looking for a bookeeping package initially, we ended up using FB for this, too. While it's easy to use and does a great job overall, it is missing a key component - the ability to reconcile with the bank. So the task of generating balance sheets & account reconciliation has to occur outside of FB. If you're a big business, this would likely be a deal breaker. I've read there's an update in the works that adds this functionality, and I'm really looking forward to it - but as of the time this is written, it's not been made available to me. All in all, this is a great accounting package - super easy to set up & use, amazing API functionality, outstanding customer service, with one potential hiccup for some clients which hopefully will soon be resolved.

Pros: API, customer service, recurring billing & autopay functionality

Cons: No bank reconcilation

• Reviewed on 18/11/2016
Cheikh B.
FreshBook revieuw
Accounting Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2021

"FreshBooks, the revolutionary accounting tool"

Comments: FreshBooks allowed me to manage several platforms in one, saving me time and a lot of money.

Pros: FreshBooks is a very easy to use software especially for adding and removing third party applications. The advantage also is that you have the possibility to connect or disconnect other third party applications according to your choices. With FreshBooks, I can create quotes or send proposals and then follow them in real time. FreshBooks also allows me to invoice clients, manage accounting and financial reporting all at once, and from the same place where I used three different applications to do all this work. FreshBooks combined with other applications is a great tool. In any case, if you want to create invoices and send it in a split second and then track and monitor its progress, I recommend FreshBooks.

Cons: The downside of FreshBooks is that there is no possibility of merging contacts while duplicates are repeated when Freshbooks connects to another platform e.g. Hubspot.
 The trial time is also very short and the number of customer additions is limited.

• Reviewed on 10/01/2021
Christopher S.
Business Owner
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2018

"started out great ... still good"

Comments: still love it and it relly did change how i do and think about bissness its ashame i dont quite feel i can not use them as my 360 exsample of from product to marketing to customer srvice that i used to but i have hope they will fix some of the software interface quicks and make them simple and as easy as before , as i used to love recommeding them and still would for there customer service alone

Pros: super easy to use and got me up and running stright away any issues i had i called them right up and boom sombody on the other side of the phone no robo call deal a real knolagable human telling me how to fix it , there marketing and custmoer service blew me away so much i used them as a exsample of how it sholuld be done to my clients

Cons: few little things with the old software like quirks in exspences that we found work arounds , but then moving to the new software i am still getting used to is but no paypal payment now not a big deal also harder to find old invoices and clients its just very diffrent but still seems to work ok and the customer service is still great so im sticking with it for now , i can see how it looks better and wants to be better but it just feels less intuative and simple , yet i know thats what they are going for just my poinion , oh and the serch is now super tough for me as a dyslexic as you have to spell out 3 to four letters befour it give me options making it very frustrating almost usless

• Reviewed on 29/12/2018
Marco F.
Owner / Consultant
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2017

"Good but could be better"

Comments: I used Freshbooks at the company I work for, for about a year or so. We sent invoices to our customers and tracked payments through stripe and paypal.
Even though the software is very restricted in terms of functionality (or maybe it was the package we used), the creators were able to make its navigation quite counter-intuitive. Often times you have to click around for a long time to properly understand a customer's history. Search fields are not broad, so often you will find yourself looking for a customer like SeagullBeachHotel like crazy... (0 results for Seagull Beach Hotel, or Seagull, etc).
Apart from the bad navigation, system does its job as intended, payments are collected and transferred fine. Invoices are issued and statuses pretty much (not always) are correct. A couple of times we had an error with a payment received and there was no additional information to better understand what happened. Typical answer is "you have to tell your customer to ask his/her bank". No blame, but problems become hard to solve.
I wish their system could make it better to customize email messages and to avoid getting marked as spam. It was a bit common for our customers to not pay because the email fell into spambox.
Overall a useful tool. I was an end user, so I haven't got a chance t compare with other platforms like this (only Chargeover, being a bit more complex and even less user friendly than Freshbooks).
I would recommend it to small companies looking for a cost effective solution to send invoices and receive payments.

Pros: It does what is expected of it at a good monthly price. Invoices looks good and options to receive payments are good enough.

Cons: Navigation isn't good, hard to find things and reporting also a bit messy. Search fields do not take broad searches.

• Reviewed on 12/04/2017
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2018

"A great invoicing and bookkeeping software at a great price"

Comments: An easy solution to invoicing and accounting without the big monthly bill

Pros: I love being able to pull reports (P & L) very quickly to see my numbers. Clients can log into their invoices at any time and pay or download (which saves me from having to send it to them).
Creating an invoice is very simple. The per month plan allows for up to 50 clients, which is plenty for the time being. Customer support is fantastic!

Cons: I'd like to be able to integrate with my website instead of manually having to enter the revenue.
The old system used to show in the Dashboard what money was in transit. Now you have to login to WePay. No biggie, just an extra step.
Clients cannot select the amount to pay if paying a partial amount of the invoice. This is a hassle when a client asks to pay a different amount as what was set up in the Payment Schedule. You have to go in and change it. Also, with Payment Schedules, if you don't enter them in date order, you have to reenter them. Let's say you get several payments entered and forgot one, you have to go and change all the dates in order for the system to accept it. It's a pain!

• Reviewed on 19/07/2018
Spencer W.
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2017

"Good Product...Better People."

Pros: The system is clear and straightforward. Many of the issues we've had with functions are clearly explained in content in the platform, so you don't have to go to Google for answers. That's a plus. But, by far, the reason we stay with Freshbooks is the Customer Service. You're given your Support Key in no uncertain terms and have someone on the line to help in a flash. The Key links you on the line to your dashboard where the issue is and it works great. We would have changed provider before this, actually a few times along the way, if not for the Support people there. They make the cost worthwhile. Honestly, any issue we've had becomes a laugh and a smile by the end of the call with their team. That's far more than I can say about 99% of the Support staff I've encountered elsewhere and proves, beyond doubt, that great call support is just as important as a great product.

Cons: The problems aren't many, but they're problems. The entire credit system, when to give one and what it may affect, is less than clear and I've had to train new hires on the system myself because everyone is still unclear about what "not to touch". The percentages seem a bit off as well. you should easily be able to fold one invoice into another for clients with ongoing work added to in new agreements. If they want a payment plan, it has to be applied to each dated invoice manually. At least that's what we've been told by every person we could find. Needless to say, it can be tedious to have to do this manually when using software. It'd be faster in an old ledger.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2017
Wouter V.
mechanic
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2021

"Fresh Books is the best software for buisness with marketing ;salesand finanances"

Comments: Good but the email system could have been made easier to prevent email ending up in the spam folder of customers
some off the workflows could have been made to opperate more seamlessly

Pros: it is the first thing were i as owner have learned more about finance that i have not knew before
fresh books reprts dowloads at a convinient speed no hassle
it has got the best automated system for procesing credid card payments due to its reminders
Fresh books has got manny positive functions

Cons: the thing i dont like is the limitations on the number off clients
i dont like the idea that they have removed the pay pal integration in the new version

• Reviewed on 24/01/2021
Shayna J.
Administrative Assistant
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2021

"Excellent Option for Our Needs"

Comments: It's been overall quite positive. We've been using it for a few years now and other than some minor hiccups that were quickly sorted out with a call to customer service, the experience has been great.

Pros: It's easy to set up and use. We are currently in the second version of the software. The switch to the current version was a bit tricky but between playing around with it and making numerous calls to customer service, we got it sorted out pretty quickly. Monthly recurring invoicing and credit card billing is easy with this software. It's literally "set it and forget it" but easy to make changes when the need arises.

Cons: There isn't really anything I don't like about the software. It does what we need it to do in a way that is quick and efficient.

• Reviewed on 15/02/2021
Arash B.
Software Developer
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2017

"Great experience using FreshBooks. Really helps with simple day-to-day invoicing and tracking"

Comments: The software helped us easily deliver invoices, on-the-fly to our customers. While our product still has an automated billing solution built in, sometimes our customers wanted an invoice that they can pay BEFORE they are using our software. Freshbooks helped us capture that payment without us needing to add additional code to our software.

Pros: I like how simple FreshBooks is to use. We are able to generate and deliver invoices very rapidly to our customers. It is intuitive and works well for simple invoice sending and tracking. It's great that we don't need to change our existing payment gateways that we use and that it supports multiple gateways.

Cons: Probably the lack of integration capability so that we can send dynamic line items. We were looking for a way to move all of our dynamic invoicing to FreshBooks but haven't been able to add dynamic line items based on usage that is computed on the fly. For example, we wanted to charge our customers a certain amount every month, but that amount would change depending on their usage in our software. We were looking for a way for a callback to be triggered right before a charge to see how much a customer should be charged. Also wish to be able to send "quotes" to customers that aren't part of the accounts receivables sections. Sometimes customers just want a quote that they can pay, however, we didn't want that added to the amount owed to us.

• Reviewed on 22/08/2017
Frank N.
Producer
Media Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2019

"I wish I could rate it higher than a 10"

Comments: Switching to it from one of those other software packages was one of the most liberating experiences of my career.

Pros: It was so easy to add and remove third party apps if and when they were needed.Plus, there were lots of options for third party apps that I could plug in or switch out as needed.

Cons: It never once made me a cup of coffee. I know that sounds like a weird joke but that's pretty much the only thing that it couldn't do for me.

• Reviewed on 09/09/2019
CIO (Chief Idea/Implentation Officer)
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2018

"Freshbooks has been helped me manage my time AND my cashflow!"

Comments: Time saver in generating and tracking invoices; money saver since I have a record of what has been billed, what has been paid and what is still on the table.

Pros: Since I bill by the hour, I can start the time and it tracks my time for me then let's me generate an invoice in seconds based on unbilled time. It's been a time-saver for me since I don't have to manually build a complex invoice that indicates the day, time and details the service provided. It's been a money-saver because I rarely forget to log billable hours (which would be money left on the table). It also let's me manage payments off-line by checks and on-line using credit card integration. Customer service has been great when I needed it but rarely have.

Cons: Some of the reports I have needed were not available but they were insignificant enough that I have forgotten the details.

• Reviewed on 19/04/2018
Julie P.
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2016

"Freshbooks Features Review"

Comments: I use Freshbooks to run my freelance design business. It's so integral I can't do without it. From organizing my clients, projects, time and invoices, to the reports features it's such a life saver for my business and makes things super easy for new clients to log in, see, print and pay their invoices.

Pros: Reports features are great. I can get an in-depth and clear picture of what I'm making! I also love the time tracking tool and how it integrates totally when I generate invoices.

Cons: I'm not versed well in the expenses section. Wish it was a little easier to manage.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2016
Wesley W.
Financial Services Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"Tons of Features and Easy to Use"

Comments: Fresh Books is a must have for businesses that want to simplify their accounting software. My team loved all the options and great support. I will be recommending this software to my business colleagues.

Pros: There is so many features that any one at any level can use. The pricing options definitely made this a great purchase item to help my business.

Cons: It could have some more options on customizing reports.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020
Johnson I.
Freelance
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 28/12/2020

"Supper Invoicing Software"

Comments: I have zero accounting skills, but FreshBooks keeps me updated about the measure of time spent specifically venture's arranging and its execution with its tracking capabilities.

Pros: This software has an uncommon spot in my regular operations. This apparatus is very useful for me to deal with my every day cost and to have an itemized knowledge of the whole working cycle. I feel more certain to facilitate with my colleagues since I effectively talk about the significant issues with them and the credit goes to FreshBooks, on the grounds that it gives me point by point revealing. Presently to deal with different tasks all at once is simple

Cons: The mobile application is cool but doesn't function admirably for certain capacities. In the event that you have a ton of clients or need a portion of your different alternatives, it can get costly rapidly. The charging part of the product isn't as evolved as the charging and time monitoring angles.

• Reviewed on 28/12/2020
Ramya V.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2018

"Freshbooks is fantastic accounting software"

Pros: I've been using Freshbooks for a long period of time. Estimation and time tracking feature of Freshbooks are very useful for me with accountability. Freshbooks allows accepting online payments regardless of place. My business changed rapidly after I started to use Freshbooks. Freshbooks have very good expense tracker and invoicing features which helped our team to stay updated. The interface of Freshbooks is a very simple even person who is bad with numbers can easily work.

Cons: The problem that I'm facing with a new version of Freshbooks is that we do not get invoices based on the logged times it is generated for a particular date range, which is very difficult if I want to create invoice within a day, I hope Freshbooks will change this problem in future updates.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2018
Mehedi H.
Online Media, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/07/2020

"An accounting software that makes our life a lot easier. ( FreshBooks )"

Comments: With FreshBooks the interface options are very simple . Which makes it easier to manage the cash flow, keep the transaction organized. Input your expense data by using the mobile app is really convenient. And the way FreshBooks eases up the process of payment is also very convenient. Though it has a very little amount of cons to its side, but it is not any headache if you look at its pros. I may say if you want to manage our accounts, you can go for it and don't have o think twice about it. Yes, I recommend this software to others .

Pros: Basically we can say that, FreshBooks is a cloud based Accounting software for small to medium sized businesses. With this business owners can,
1. Send invoices
2. Track profit / loss
3. Integrates with stripe for recurring transition
4. Track Time
5. Project management ( keeping things on schedule and organized)
6. Accepting payment from your phone
7. Easy to use interface.
8. Integrates with various software.
9. Very good customer care service.
Acknowledging all those pros we can see that this software really has something into it. And most important features are in this software.

Cons: Okay, if I have to be honest there is a thing I didn't like in this software. When u subscribe to this software, you will see the subscription system of this software is different than others. The charge is based on the amount of the clients that you have. So sometimes the prices can get a little pricey.

• Reviewed on 07/07/2020
Virtual Assistant
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"Indispensable as first time freelancer"

Comments: Overall, it is an excellent value to me for the money, and I cannot imagine ever freelancing/contracting without it! When I was just starting out (and several of my clients knew that), they have frequently commented on the polish & professionalism of my branded, detailed invoices. What they don’t know is that fresh books did almost all the heavy lifting for me! I have peace of mind and confidence as a solopreneur that I never though I could have at such an affordable rate.

Pros: Time tracking (including a timer to be “on the clock” for clients as needed) & invoicing/payment tracking.

Cons: I would love for the timer to be able to “pop out” and be it’s own window. I frequently have clients say “could you take 20 minutes and research XYZ” and so having the visual of time-passing would help me keep from going down the rabbit hole!
It would also be nice if the timer could have the option to count down with an option for an audible alarm. Several of my clients request hours per day from me, and so it would be amazing to just set focus blocks that would “ding” me back to reality once the time had passed and remind me to check in.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2020
Sarah C.
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2020

"Happy User"

Comments: Very pleased

Pros: The platform operates as multiple platforms, such as accounting, time and project tracking.

Cons: Cant think of anything that I don't like

• Reviewed on 08/10/2020
Sarah B.
Director of Catering and Sales
Restaurants, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/12/2018

"Love Freshbooks"

Comments: Great value for what the software does. It has helped our company tremendously by allowing us use of this tool to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Pros: Generating invoices is easy! Once you get the customer data saved and create one invoice, it’s easy to duplicate for future orders.
Very professional look.
I like that you can see if a client has actually viewed the invoice.

Cons: I wish the customer phone number would automatically transfer over to the printed invoice just like the addrrsss does. This is important data that our field team uses to contact the client. We have figured out a work around by Inserting the phone number in the name field of the client, however, when data is exported, it is an added step in sorting the data.

• Reviewed on 27/12/2018
Jessica R.
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2018

"Straightforward system for a small businesses"

Pros: Being able to setup automatic late payment reminders + automatically adding late fees added without editing the invoice. Very good customer support. Calling results in getting through very quickly and questions are answered by friendly knowledgeable people. running reports to see which clients are most active, on-time and late payments, as well as being able to add expenses attached to projects so you can see the full profitability of a project. Also, a great feature is being able to add contractors to fill in time sheets AND allowing your accountant to access for tax purposes.

Cons: Unable to customize or edit the invoice (hiding columns). Also, unable to send the invoices & estimates from my own email address so they frequently do not get delivered. Unable to import time-sheets from my other system so I have to manually enter them. If a client has more than one invoice, there's no way for them to pay them both/all in one payment. Each transaction seems to have to be processed separately (if paying online with a CC).

• Reviewed on 03/04/2018
Craig F.
Principal Consultant
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2019

"Good for time tracking and invoicing; barely functional for accounting"

Comments: The original version of FreshBooks, which we started using in 2014, was great for time tracking and invoicing. Unfortunately, they decided to build a completely new web application to add accounting features. We migrated to the new version about two years ago, and it did not go well. The new version didn't add many useful features, and the time tracking app got worse (see above). We decided to try the accounting feature this year (2019) because Xero started getting more expensive and lost its payroll feature. We have found the FreshBooks accounting features to be barely usable, and we're struggling to find an accountant that will support FreshBooks.

Pros: FreshBooks is good for freelancers or service-based small businesses that need to track time spend on client projects, and report the time on invoices. It's also good for tracking basic expenses, whether they are allocated to the business, or passed on to clients. The reporting features are also useful. The payroll integration with Gusto is a simple and affordable way to run payroll for a small business.

Cons: The mobile app for time tracking became so buggy that I had to stop using it; it would frequently lose track of the time if I paused the timer. They also added a "feature" that creates a new line item on the invoice every time you pause the timer, which really clutters up the invoice. I now use a separate tracking app and manually enter my time. The accounting features are barely adequate, and the accounting functionality is more like a public beta than production software. There's a chart of accounts, bank reconciliation, and a general ledger. We use cash-basis accounting, so it works for us, but if you carry inventory, I don't think FreshBooks will support accrual accounting. The bank reconciliation was officially "beta" until very recently. Admins aren't allowed to edit the chart of accounts, so you need to have an accountant or bookkeeper set it up. Unfortunately, most accountants I've talked to won't work with FreshBooks directly. Strangely, FreshBooks will help you find a bookkeeper who works with FreshBooks, but not an accountant.

by FreshBooks on 11/10/2019

Hey Craig, thank you for taking the time to share this detailed review of FreshBooks.

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into issues with our mobile app and the timer creating multiple timers (though that is by design). If you had specific suggestions or features that you'd like to see for the Accounting features or anything else in FreshBooks, our team would love to hear it! I have flagged your feedback to be heard by our Product Specialists directly, but if there's anything else our Support Team would be happy to capture that feedback. They can be reached at [email protected] or 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST. ^DM

• Reviewed on 30/09/2019