• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.6 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.9 /5

About Calamari

Calamari is integrated with Slack, JIRA, G Suite and Office365. Track your HR records, vacation, PTO, attendance and manage timesheets.

Learn more about Calamari

Parker R.
VP, People, Mission & Culture
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2020

"Checks Every Box"

Comments: Couldn't have been better. Less than a month after identifying the need for a new PTO management platform we were launched. The reviews from our team members has been exceedingly positive as well. It is a major upgrade in terms of ease of use, reporting, and notifications from the past platform.

Pros: Months ago, we scoped out our requirements for a PTO management tool. Calamari checked off every box! Coupled with outstanding and responsive customer service, we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The process of requesting and approving time off requests, particularly the Slack integration, are a MAJOR upgrade from our previous platform.

Cons: The .csv upload tool can be a little tricky to figure out, but the customer service response is immediate and helped resolve the issues. Onboarding couldn't have gone any more smoothly.

• Reviewed on 27/07/2020
Head of HR

"Calamari Review"

Pros: This is the easiest software there is for my employees, who often struggled with more complicated ones. Also my favourite part is the ease of contact with customer service who are very fast, helpful and friendly and always solve my problems even when it's something specific for my organisation.

Cons: I have no negatives here. I can see that things that might be done a bit better (but don't disturb daily work) are developed and introduced to make everything better :)

Henrijs L.
IT manager
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2021

"Great vacation planner for small business"

Pros: The software is very easy to use, the deployment was quick and painless. Integrations with popular SSOs like Google and Slack are extremely helpful to avoid that extra password to remember. API is definitely a plus

Cons: The UI can sometimes be less intuitive than it could be. Some features might be missing, but the team welcomes feedback

• Reviewed on 26/02/2021
Lauren A.
Business Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"Good but Not Great"

Comments: We moved from paper forms to online. Calamari has a nice visual to it, and seemed to me to be intuitive to use. Set up was mediocre; I think it could be easier but also in testing other products, it's not the worst. We chose to use just the time off portion and not the clock in/out option. This does mean, however, that the time accrued for PTO is not accurate, and while I have told my staff that the accurate accounting is on each paystub, they are frustrated by that.
Additionally, while I feel the system is really self-explanatory, people seem to have trouble with requesting partial days, changing the type of PTO requested (vacation, sick, etc), and requesting multiple days at once.
The customer service is good; they are happy to answer questions you may have.
I decided to look into their clock in/clock out option, to streamline three products that we use, but I did not like the options of a mobile app, web app, or beacons. I didn't like that the beacons did not take into account lunch breaks. I could set a lunch break for everyone, but then if they took 45 minutes instead of an hour, or 1hr5min, it doesn't take that into account.

Pros: I wanted a product that fit in our budget, that could keep track of time off requests online. I was tired of paper floating everywhere! Calamari fit that bill.

Cons: There is no way to edit your time off request. If you make a mistake, the entire request has to be deleted, then the manager has to approve the cancellation, then you can resubmit the request. It's a lot of steps.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2020
Elia T.
IT Leader
Banking, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"Calamari Review"

Comments: I don't have a lot of time using it, but I do like the interface, it is really user friendly and intuitive. You can easily find the options you need and it allows you to update almost anything. Besides, the integration with Slack makes it really easy for the end users, they just need to add the Calamari bot and they will see the options to punch in, punch out or mark their breaks or lunches. The tool is really cool.

Pros: I truly like that this tool is really complete. It has almost everything you can think of regarding the employees schedules, if you need the users to punch from different locations or to punch from different means like mobile phone or web browser, this tool has it all, it even has the option to print QR codes, you can print the code and place them strategically on your office so the employees can go and scan the code to punch. I also like that it has integration with G Suite and Slack, you can use these tools to import your employees, which makes it really easy to start.

Cons: The only thing that I don't like is that you need to enter the work days of the employees, you need to specify the time the employees work a day, but if you work in a company where the schedules are updated a lot, this part might be a little cumbersome. Apart from that, all good, the tool has it basically all you need for maintaining your employees schedules.

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Kat J.
Office and Accounting Administrator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"Offer great policy integration"

Pros: We could build in our leave policies so that Calamari enforces the rules automatically (e.g., who is eligible to take school visitation leave, awarding some leave annually and some by days worked, different minimum durations for different leave types, etc). It offers very granular control over the setup, and is very intuitive and smooth once setup.

Cons: The downside of having such detailed control options is the steep learning curve in the implementation process. Fortunately, the customer support staff are great and really helpful with figuring everything out. I'd like Calamari to implement an "edit" feature for approved leave requests, which would be more convenient than cancelling and resubmitting.

Camille D.
Partner
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/02/2019

"Amazing HR app, saved me from having to hire HR professionals"

Comments: We were looking for an HR solution for an SME, and we selected this one. We set it up a little over two years ago, and have not really had any glitches since. Once a year, we program the vacations for the whole year, and it does the rest. Employees request leave through the app as well. I highly recommend this software for companies of similar size.

Pros: Manages employee hours, vacations, and sick days without a glitch. Also works great with iBeacon. I purchased and configured an iBeacon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G0VS64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and configured it to work with the free Calamari app on each employees mobile. The result is that the software could keep track of every employee the second they walk in, and their last exit from the office every day.

Cons: I have not really had anything that I didn't like. I had trouble deleting employees who left our company, but the support staff were very prompt, helpful, and friendly.

by CHROBRUS on 04/02/2019

Camille, Thank you for the feedback!

• Reviewed on 02/02/2019
Ashley R.
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2020

"Great product and really simple to use"

Comments: Calamari was simple to implement and use. All features have been welcomed by our company and we look forward to seeing new modules added in the furture.

Pros: The product has allowed us to bring our clocking in system alongside our Holiday requests, it gives us a better overview of which staff are working and when. The timesheet feature allows us to easily work out hours worked at the end of each month so that payroll becomes much easier to control. Having the ability to export to excel makes reporting simpler and less time consuming.

Cons: We would like to be able to set up shift patterns for staff on a rolling basis. Some staff members will work different shifts each week so rather than a project A or B we would like to see multiple shift patterns to click on to clock in and email notifications to be sent to management should staff members be late or not attend a shift.

Agnieszka M.
Office and Admin Manager
Maritime, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2020

"Growing organisation"

Comments: The Calamari implementation within our company was easy and quick, very well supported by Calamari support. We use integration with Google Suite and Slack. We use the Calamari leave module on daily basis for applying for different kinds of absences, as well as reporting onsite presence in the office since COVID-19 started, I use a dedicated absence type to register and track employees presence at the office. As an admin and approver I work with Calamari on a daily basis, it is easy to use, I use the mobile version on my smartphone as well. So far the contact with Calamari support was easy and fast. The functionalities are suitable for growing organisation, it is easy to increase the number of employees covered by the application. My overall satisfaction with Calamari is high and I would recommend it for growing and fast-changing organizations.

Pros: ease of implementation, good contact with support, ease of use, mobile version , integration with Slack, Google Suite, Jira, ease of renewing the subscription, the development of the application functionalities

Cons: I only miss one functionality - the automation of moving approved hours/days from one absence type to another

• Reviewed on 24/07/2020
Brianna J.
HR Director
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"User-Friendly, Affordable, and Customizable"

Comments: Our current HRIS/Payroll system doesn't properly accommodate our unique PTO policies, therefore we had to find an outside solution. Calamari has been wonderful. It was very easy to setup and we've had great adoption from our employees. They use the system every single day.

Pros: I really enjoy the ease of use and how the customization. We have unique time off policies and teleworking policies. The system can accommodate all type of policies.

Cons: The sync or integration with Google was a little challenging. We had to contact the support team a few times to get it fully integrated and working properly. However, the support team was responsive and helpful.

Silvie C.
HR&Operations Specialist
Translation & Localization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/02/2019

"Calamari - a great tool"

Comments: We are using calamari for about a year and are happy for this switch to paperless mainly for the reasons mentioned in the Pros section and also to be able to have all data in one place. In overall, a great tool!

Pros: We like that calamari syncs with Slack and the Google calendar, which gives the whole team a good overview of who´s at the conference, on vacation, working remotely etc. Also, the approval system is easy for managers as they can approve or reject requests via slack. The tool is easy to use and intuitive. I´d like to point out the super fast, friendly and excellent technical support team, namely reps who are always happy to help :-)

Cons: Sometimes downloading reports at the end of the month is slow.

• Reviewed on 22/02/2019
Marta T.
Head of HR & Administration
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2019

"Calamari is a modern and easy to use program for managing absences at work! :)"

Pros: We were looking for an HR solution for me, and we already find it! No documents, no signatures, no waiting for decisions. The system makes communication much easier, especially when the office has several locations. Employees have the calendar, they see the absence of their colleagues in other offices and this is a huge plus! It's good that you can configure everything for your business - add vacation days, e.g. for birthday (yes, if you have a birthday, you have free day in our company ;)) Working time is very important to us. We always had a traditional list, but employees forgot to sign on. Now everything is in one place - mobile, laptop, you can use it everywhere you need, even if you are ouf of office, for conference or couse! Interface is very friendly and easy to use not only for me as administration, but for employees too. In addition, we have everything configured with slack
And the most important for the end - customer support is the best support ever!

Cons: Sometimes it is not possible to end the work day correctly, I have to do it manually as an administrator.

• Reviewed on 22/11/2019
Ulf G.
People Operations
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2017

"We are happy with our decision for Calamari as our Absence Management tool"

Comments: It improved absence management and leave transparency significantly

Pros: Calamari is easy to implement, administrate and use. The customer support and the flexibility of the team is outstanding. The tools is feature rich but clean in design. New features and improvements are added on a regular basis and the roadmap is made transparent. Integrations to google, slack or other tools are in built. Customizing to specific needs is possible. Calamari increased management and transparency on absence/leaves significantly.

Cons: Nothing in specific. If something was missing or did not work as intended we always found a quick solution

by CHROBRUS on 21/07/2017

Thanks Ulf! We love to work with Mindcurv :)

• Reviewed on 19/07/2017
Anja V.
Administrative Assistant
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"Calamari is very easy to use, is transparent and our employees love this software."

Pros: Transparency, choice between different groups and the approval flows. Easily adding new employees to the system and editing employee data. Easy transfer of data into excel tables.
Modeling the types of absences is very easy and transparent.
Everyone is equally accessible.
We like the quick response of the Calamari Group!!
We recommend this software to all types of companies!

Cons: The price could be slightly more optimal, otherwise it is OK. We would like to have a chance to insert collective holidays, to put all employees in the calendar at the same time. However, the Calamari group always helps.

by CHROBRUS on 14/03/2018

Thank you Anja for a great review!

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Kamil K.
Software Architect
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2020

"Great product with potential"

Pros: Easy integration with Office 365, support for multi-region teams, basic reporting capabilities

Cons: Bad integration with Calendars - only exposing calendar data. My strong recommendation would be to implement the functionality of 'managed invites system' which would:
-Send the invite (representing vacation time range) to the persona requesting time-off + to his manager (or to anyone defined in the settings)
-This invite would then be completely managed by Calamari: it would get edited if time-off request was approved, it would get cancelled if user cancelled his vacation plans, etc. et. - the main advantage here would be that users can stick to their normal calendars (so the whole teams can see when someone is available by only checking this person's calendar) without the need for syncing with another yet calendar exposed by Calamari system. This comment might apply mostly to Office 365 users which I believe might be quite a lot within business users (if you add to the list appropriate support for GOffice, you get pretty much good coverage among business users already).

Daniel N.
  • Reviewed on 06/03/2017

"Great cloud software"

Comments: I use calamari leave software since 2015.
As IT company I was thinking of developing my own leave module to manage employee absences. But calamari came just in time and saved me money and stress of developing my own tool. Calamari has all I want and need from leave management system. It is easy to use and continously equiped with new features and enhancements. And their technical support is just great. I wish other software supliers were so fast. One remarkable example: I had an issue on 31st of December. A few hours before New Year's party. I have posted an issue to calamari team and even didn't expected to have any answer before 2nd or 3rd of January. But I got an anwer within 30 minutes!!! Just great! I really do recomend the software.

Pros: easy of use. Fast technical support if needed.

by CHROBRUS on 06/03/2017

Thanks Daniel! We are thrilled working with you, and other customers from Poland! Happy customers are the greatest reward!

• Reviewed on 06/03/2017
Thomas Y.
CCO
Insurance Software, 11-50 Employees

"Calamari Review"

Comments: Excellent - it has been very easy on myself as admin and my staff.

Pros: Compatibility with Slack, nice and easy to follow user interface both for users and for admins

Cons: N/A - generally speaking the software does not have any major issues on my end, and I am able to have my questions/queries about the software easily answered at all times.

Rebecca H.
Team Lead Product
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/05/2019

"Useful tool, but room to improve"

Pros: tracking working times and breaks is very easy

Cons: sometimes the tool is limited, e.g. to track working times if an employee leaves work early due to sickness (the total is not correct then as you can't choose the correct absence time)

• Reviewed on 13/05/2019
Obaid R.
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2021

"Basic Review"

Comments: Good so far specially customer services

Pros: Ease of use and user friendliness. The color and overall look and feel

Cons: Dashboard can be enhanced plus alot of HCM features can be introduced

• Reviewed on 25/02/2021
Paulina S.
Board Assistant
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2018

"Perfect for our startup"

Comments: I've been using Calamari for almost 1,5 year, and I had maybe two questions to customer care to ask (and they solve them in a few minutes). Perfect for our company (<20), we mostly use it for absence tracking.

Pros: Easy to navigate, easy to use for both management and employees.

Cons: I remember I felt a little lost in the beginning, but just going through tutorials made a change and showed me how helpful Calamari is.

by CHROBRUS on 16/10/2018

Thank you Paulina for a great review!

• Reviewed on 12/10/2018
Miroslav K.
Senior Software Developer
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/05/2019

"Good but still something to work on"

Comments: Calendar of the company - People that are online - counting hours

Pros: Easy to use - accessible on multiple devices

Cons: It's possible to install it on older Android, but it crashes without the possibility to know why
On Mobile devices, it's no possible to see timeline and edit the past days and I have to go to desktop webapp - why? I need to add a break which I forgot and I can't

• Reviewed on 28/05/2019
Mihaly N.
Senior HR Officer
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/03/2021

"Comprehensive"

Pros: The reporting and easy to access features

Cons: some of the reportings are not accurate or could be more comprehensive

• Reviewed on 15/03/2021
Michel R.
SysAdmin
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2017

"Wonderful app! easy to use! very helpful!"

Pros: this app solve our hr problems! its very intuitive and help us always. all the team its very helpful and resolve any doubt we could have. Integration with google or office its very good
Works very well!

Cons: None, we are very happy with the product and has no complain. Keep working in that direction!
Thanks

by CHROBRUS on 18/08/2017

Hi Michel! Thanks, we really appreciate your feedback. You just made our heart smile! ;D

• Reviewed on 10/08/2017
Sherri L.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees

"Calamari"

Comments: Positive.

Pros: The ability to have employees request leaves online. The ability to track leaves, receive weekly notices reminders of employees out of the office.

Cons: Set up is a little tricky at first, however support is fairly responsive. notes They are not in the US so there is a time delay to getting a response.

by Calamari on 30/07/2019

Hi Sherri! Thank you for your feedback, we've recently extended hours of support availability - feel free to check it :)

M.y. P.
Senior Engineer
Civil Engineering, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/03/2018

"Excellent customer service!"

Comments: We can easily track and see the attendance of staff.

Pros: The app and user dashboard is very user-friendly.
Always listen to customer needs and put into action to support and fulfill such needs.

Cons: Some incidents where user clock-out but the system didn't capture the records. This likely happens to our Android users only.

• Reviewed on 29/03/2018