Zen Planner Reviews

4.3 (245) Write a Review!

About Zen Planner

Gym member management software with payment processing, Integrated Websites, virtual training, scheduling, automations & more.

Learn more about Zen Planner

Pros:

It was a very cheap cost to have the application run so for that it was very good since the cost of the gym was so high.

Cons:

Overall we would not recommend this software. It seems as if the team behind it has lost heart for the program and isn't keeping up with the competition.

Zen Planner ratings

4.1
4.5
4.1
4.3

7.9/10

Zen Planner has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 245 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Zen Planner before?

Jody
Jody
Head Teaching Professional in Canada
Sports, 201-500 Employees

Very Helpful Customer Service!!!

Comments: Zen Planner software has enabled our company to introduce a program to our customers in a seamless fashion. Their customer service was vital in helping us with this process.

Pros:

The software is very slick and versatile!

Cons:

There was a lot to learn that I wasn't familiar with.

4 years ago

Happy to hear it - thanks Jody!

Itzak
CEO/Owner in US
Sports, Self Employed

Perfect for managing a martial arts studio

Comments: I was really impressed on how well they understand how martial art schools work. The software takes into account everything you need to keep your school running - from scheduling out classes students reserve for, to taking payments and setting up merchant accounts, to desk check-in software, to students having their own portal to track their membership and status. Customer support was very helpful during the onboarding.

Pros:

You can tell this software was designed for martial artists. One of my favorite things you can do is designate belt rankings to students, and design your system in a way that when a student is ready to test for the next belt, whether its the amount of time they've been training with the studio, to achieving certain skills required, Zen Planner notifies you and helps you plan belt testing. I loved that they recognize how important it is for martial art schools to know where students rank. I was able to plan out all my belts, what skills are required and minimum of time with the school they need to have to test. Most gym software don't recognize all the small nuances that martial art schools need to track where their students stand.

Cons:

The apps for desk login can be a little buggie sometimes and require an update or reset the iPad to get the software to work.

Daxko Response

2 years ago

Thank you so much for your review. We are proud to empower and serve martial arts communities around the globe.

Jenny
Yoga Instructor in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees

Amazing

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love how simple this software made it to do everything our yoga studio needed. It was also user friendly for our students. We love it overall.

Cons:

I do wish there was a cheaper option for small studios just getting started.

CEO in Togo

Zen planner is an excellent tool for planning and management of menbres

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I had a great experience with zen planner

Pros:

The software is easy to use and features important tools that simplify the operations of a company, such as integrated payment processing

Cons:

Difficult to access the software on a mobile

Kristy
gym owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

very happy i made the switch!

Comments: Great! client account alerts are super helpful to make sure we are getting paid any money owed

Pros:

It makes it simple to manage the most important tasks at my gym without over complicating things.

Cons:

a few auto emails could improve/be added

Teagan
Assistant Opperational Manager in US

Finally Found the Right System

Comments: This software has made this much more simple and allowed us to enhance our customers experience in our facility!

Pros:

-Set up was detailed step by step process and had video reviews that our staff could go back to -Customer service is the best that we have seen -Hotline always has a person you can talk to (have answered every question we have had and has taught us how to solve the problem should it ever come up again) - Hotline is available 7am-7pm -Email (you can send a detailed email and have it answered within one business day) - Our on-boarding assistant fallowed up with us after a month to make sure everything was running - Has easy quick reporting - Great schedule (imbeds into website so you do not have to leave company page) -Great point of sale (imbeds into website so you do not have to leave company page) - Mobil app is simple for customers and makes scheduling simple

Cons:

online mobil site cannot work with out cookies which most smart phones automatically disable so we needed to send out an email with instructions on how to enable them

3 years ago

Thank you for the review, Teagan! We're glad you've found the right system for your business!

Jen
Event Coordinator in US

Customer support is outstanding

Comments: I'd give it a B- on a grading scale. The customer support is outstanding but any time you want to go beyond just keeping track of how many students you have, things become way too complicated.

Pros:

Customer support really is top notch. The on boarding team is fantastic and truly went out of their way to ensure we had every available resource for success. Any little quirky issue or question we have is answered quickly and professionally by the customer support team. They are fantastic.

Cons:

The basics are great but it seems to go from "ok to use" to "I have absolutely no idea what to do here" the minute any complication arises. There does not need to be a "staff user" and a "kiosk mode" on the Ipads, it confuses everyone and wastes a lot of time. Converting reports to pdf feature should be a breeze, but doesn't convert the entire report and is useless. It should have a much easier pos system as well. No real way for instructors to leave notes for students, why not? Never use the mass email or text because its just too complicated-these things can be fixed if they gave it some attention.

3 years ago

Thanks, Jen, we'll pass your good words on to our customer support team!

Program Director in US

Worst customer service possible

Comments: Zen Planner is absolutely the worst. I decided to go with a different program and half way through the porting process we thought it would be simpler to simply stay with Zen Planner. Nope, they never called us back.

Pros:

I really didn't like anything about it. It was overly complicated, redundant and the same glitches existed for years.

Cons:

It was hard to maintain an idea of what our client base actually was. Some clients were counted twice. We had to check 3 different areas to make sure our billing was going through.

Fyonna
Owner in Canada
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] the Onboarder is FANTASTIC, I am so impressed

Comments: so far so awesome

Pros:

We had challenges with paysafe integration, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] stepped in to fix, I am running a busy studio plus teaching/coaching and she was a dream to work with ( I was not), such an asset to Zen,

Cons:

color schemes, and the time it took to imput information that was just not a skillset i had, I learned and I am glad it took time

Owner in US

Excellent product with futures that are practical, easy to use, and visually appealing

Comments: Endless , independence and function. Being a small business owner it allows me to run and automate many things such as financial reports, workouts, attendance. Reservation, automations of emails for customer retention , sales funnel , customer support, technically forward thingkong woth use of apps for iPad and iPhone to allow me to function on the run , away from the office, in the field, and manage coaches.

Pros:

I love zenplanner. They started out with few features and no apps but they promised to improve regularly and they deliver. In the short 4 years I have been using they have incorporated a staff app for the iPhone, a users app to reserve, keep track of workouts , PRs, billing and much more. an app for the front desk to use as checking in, reserving, adding new clients at ease. On each of these products they improve and incorporated new needed features faster than any software I have ever used. Their customer service is truly second to none. Helping you not only in the set up stage but anytime you need help and they work to resolve your problem immediately. The software not only is packed full of great functions for financial, workout writing and publishing, emailing automation, reports of attendance, finances , and mass email intervention but it does it with a sleek appearance that is not only visually appealing but with an easy of use that it's simple and powerful.

Cons:

Software is still growing and some features , not many anymore, can be improved. This is truly the worse thing I can think off as I have tried many many others do never been so satisfied and impressed with them delivering a great product and on a regular bases truly adding features to improve it without making it more complicated for the user.

Ross
owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Zen planner does an ok job

Comments: Would not waste my time with this software, they don't deliver on their promises, invent fees to access your data, don't follow through with their support. It took me 3 months to get them to finish my cancelation as they kept sending emails to students saying they owed because their payments failed AFTER I switched to another system. Very unprofessional and rude.

Pros:

It was quite a bit less per month then any of the other software I checked into at the time. It did an ok job for doing parents nights out.

Cons:

On the surface it looks like it will do a good job but in reality it is buggy, poorly implemented and just didn't deliver on the promises it was supposed to.

Beth
Director in US

Good Overall Studio Management Software

Comments: The migration process was rocky. About 30% of the database has inaccuracies. They need to improve and automate this process. Tech support is excellent. Customer support was slow to resolve a billing issue I had. They refused to speak to me on the phone and did not return emails. But everything finally got straightened out with persistence on my part, and an effort to make up for the issue on their part. Overall, customer support is generally very good. The software works well, is not buggy. Overall, I really like the software except for the way purchasing works.

Pros:

Reporting is excellent, the best I've seen. I like the fact you can create your own reports. After learning how to use the system we have been able to create any reports we need. That is definitely not the case for Mindbody or Wellness Living. The Kiosk application is nice to have and our clients like it, but needs some improvement. The Front Desk and Kiosk Applications are easy to learn which is helpful as we have 10 teachers at the center.

Cons:

The POS system does not work like all other online systems (choose what you want, put in user info, payment info then press complete or check out and credit card is charged), and works differently in their different interfaces. The Front Desk software does not allow for discounts (that is being addresses in a future release). The Dashboard processes the sale, then you have to process the payment separately in a different step. In the beginning we lost sales because our staff was confused. Many of my teachers are still unsure whether a sale goes through or not. When the Front Desk application can accept accept discounts and credit card swipes it will greatly improve the POS process. The client kiosk does not include a form for entering info for new clients and signing a waiver. For some strange reason that is on the staff side of the application. We keep it on the staff application but it means after a client signs the waiver they could get to a screen that offers a free class, which we do not actually offer. I have a hard time understanding why that is baked into their software, it is not considered a best practice. We have found work arounds for these issues but would like to see an updated and more robust kiosk application. The automated emails are very good and it integrates with Mail Chimp. You can also implement a retention process with tasks assigned to different people.

4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Beth!

Owner / Director of Sports Performance in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Awesome and they continue to work to add new and wanted fuctionality

Comments: One stop shop for managing my business. Automation. And the ability to do a lot with little or no staff.

Pros:

Easy to use, easy to manage. It has a great modern look and they don't try to bundle everything in one app. They have different apps for sing in, staff use, and member. I love the reports, and the face check in. Easy to find athletes by their face. Great for when you have new staff. It truly is a great bundle for workout tracking, integration with current website, and integration with marketing emails. All things other companies charge extra for. I would and have recommended this software to other gym and martial art owners.

Cons:

The apps are great for managing but missing some fuctionality such as being able to schedule privates on the app. They where missing staff clicks in, retail sales but they have recently added those. Hard to find much I dislike and what I do they don't seem to be standing still, adding new function all the time.

Gavin
owner in US

Tried the others, using Zen Planner

Comments: Extremely positive.

Pros:

Extremely user friendly. I could figure out how it worked quite easily and i am not a tech Wiz which I found to be quite pleasing.

Cons:

the common problems that happens with all of the software like it. when the whole system goes down. It is not unique to ZP it has happened with others as well.

3 years ago

Thank you for the good words, Gavin!

PENNY
OWNER in Canada

ABOUT ZENPLANNER

Comments: THEY HAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT CAN SOLVE BASICALLY ANY PROBLEM WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE SOFTWARE. THEY ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE WHEN YOU NEED THEM AND SO HELPFUL.

Pros:

THAT IT MAKES MY JOB EASIER BY AUTOMATING PROCESSES

Cons:

DOESN'T HAVE ALL THE FEATURES I NEED. ALSO TOO HARD TO LEARN ALL THE FEATURES SO I'M NOT MAXIMIZING IT'S FEATURES. THERE ARE LIMITED ON BOARDING SESSIONS SO WHEN THEY STOPPED, SO DID MY LEARNING

3 years ago

Thank you, Penny! We think our customer service team is pretty great as well!

Sean
Commercial Real Estate Software, 2-10 Employees

Necessary, but not perfect

Comments: I've used it for 5 years and it has been essential to my business. It will take you awhile to learn how to use it and you will get frustrated at the beginning. The best thing about ZenPlanner is their customer service. They are quick to respond to emails and give you very detailed instructions in their responses.

Pros:

It does help you run your fitness business much more smoothly. I couldn't imagine running a gym without some type of software like this.

Cons:

Very steep learning curve with all of the features - almost too many. I'm 5 years into using it and still learning new things I can do with it. It was very overwhelming when I started using it. The app is also pretty bad, although they do update it with new features.

Marlene
Owner, Director in Canada

Best Customer Service

Comments: While there have been a few limitations to booking appointments as well as classes, Zen Planner still makes it possible to juggle and offer both seemlessly. Clients can manage their schedules and payments online which allows me to focus on other important matters.

Pros:

This software is easy to learn, implement and user friendly. Super easy integration and the customer service is outstanding! They are regularly updating and upgrading features and respond positively to feature requests and feedback. Easily have the best software on the market in my industry and I'm not sure why more people do not choose Zen Planner.

Cons:

Some minor limitations such as color typology features on the mobile app have been limited and app functions such as calendar syncing and calendar default settings restricted.

4 years ago

Glad to hear you're happy with Zen Planner, Marlene! We appreciate the feedback.

Keesey
Member Manager in US

Great Experience!

Comments: I absolutely love Zen Planner Help Desk. They are the most patient and helpful people EVER. Never have I called and hung up without a solution to my issue. I wish I could have them for my daily life!

Pros:

It's simplicity. It's not overly complicated and buttons are easy to find.

Cons:

Reports and the filters within it can be confusing; sometimes I'm not sure what terminology or keyword I need to use to produce a report I need - or if I'm supposed to use a whole number in a text box or spell it out...

3 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, Keesey! I'll pass along your review to our support team!

Magda
Front Counter Staff in US

Customer Support

Comments: Customer support is why I'm writing this review. Everyone I have talked with has been so respectful, patient, professional and knowledgeable. Plus, quick to resolve any issue I was having.

Pros:

The customer support that comes with the software is so essential. While there are many features, the customer support team helps to navigate through it all. One can tell this team is efficiently trained because they do not skip a beat when it comes to walking you through the system.

Cons:

So many features can be overwhelming. The webinar offerings are a good idea to tackle that obstacle.

3 years ago

Thank you for the review, Magda!

Rae
Coach and Owner in Australia

Brilliant, from the first meeting, to 4 years later, just outstanding every day.

Comments: Too many to mention. We couldn't run out business without it. No other software can compare with Zen planners functionality.

Pros:

the customer service. You ask anything and they will ALWAYS get back to you. They ALWAYS sort out your concern. There is so much you can do with the software, from accounting, to wod planning, to staffing, appointments everything. The back end functionality is brilliant. The automations available that free up so much time for other things are outstanding. Its just so versatile and can be customised to exactly what you need it to be.

Elizabeth
Veterinarian in US
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees

Library and a Benchmark

Comments: Our gym uses this App to track our work outs. A friend and I were using the custom result fields to track our daily 1 minute Bike Sprint. We found, though, that when we went to the library we couldn't track our results. I contacted Zen Planner and was helped quickly; initially, it appeared to be a simple issue but turned out that there were some "corrupted" files. After getting our gym owner involved, ZenPlanner was able to resolve the issue.

Pros:

Ease of use; simple to find information

Cons:

I wish the same type of exercises would always come up together in the library. Occasionally when I go to the library to look up a specific exercise multiple of the same come up and I have to click in and out of them to see the results.

Thank You Elizabeth!

Dave
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

ZenPlanner

Comments: Zp helped me create and manage clients and billing them monthly. I've been using it since about 2008, so 10 years or so. It has gotten better over time and I've only had trouble with once or twice. It's a solid system

Pros:

When it first came out it was ahead of everyone else. It still has a lot of features but it needs a facelift

Cons:

The scheduling system needs to be reworked and overall it needs a facelift. There are many excellent alternatives to ZP out there that can do everything ZP can and then some with a much more user-friendly interface

Jenna
Attorney in US
Legal Services, 10,000+ Employees

Easy Way to Sign Up for Crossfit Classes

Comments: Great way to reserve crossfit classes and see who else is attending.

Pros:

Zan Planner makes it easy to sign up for crossfit classes. It is also a great way to edit payment, etc. I like the feature of being able to see who is specifically signed up for class as well. Extra motivation to attend class!

Cons:

Sometimes it can be glitchy and somehow signs me out of a class I already reserved. It has happened 2-3 times in the past 6 months.

Elizabeth
Admin in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Customer Service is stellar which goes a long way!

Comments: Better knowledge of client retention and value versus using the age-old Excel Spreadsheets

Pros:

The many ways to move from one area to another. There are SO many ways to customize reports to your liking and integrate with other software. And I love the icons chosen for each area of the program. It's helpful when first learning. We still have much to learn, but that's to be expected as it's an all-in-one. It'll take awhile.

Cons:

Membership sign up can have a few more steps than we prefer and can be tricky learning to input so reports are accurate later on down the line. This is where their customer service makes up for that. They are always SUPER friendly and very helpful! I never dread calling and always get off the phone a happy client.

Michelle
Personal Trainer/Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Great product with amazing customer support!

Comments: I'm still playing around with it and learning all the in's and out's of ZP. When I'm really stuck, I can always call and get my specific question answered.

Pros:

There are a number of reports we can create to analyze all aspects of the business and clientele.

Cons:

The Zen Planner Staff App is quite limited in what it can do, so we wish it had a few more capabilities.

4 years ago

Thank you, Kim! Keep an eye out for some new mobile app functionality coming out soon!