• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.4 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    3.8 /5

About Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about Zenefits

Strategic Planning Project Manager
Government Administration, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2020

"User friendly solution, good experience overall"

Comments: We were able to get a good grasp of our employee timekeeping, and it saved us a lot of time processing payroll each week.

Pros: I liked how easy it was to manage payroll. I also really appreciated all of the resources for HR handbooks, job descriptions, performance reviews, etc. Customer service was great, and really flexible with some of my out of the box requests. Having our employees clock in via our ipad app was handy. The mobile features were rough at first, but are coming around nicely.

Cons: The templates for new contractors and new hires were rather lackluster. It was also a little clunky and almost overly simplistic to pay contractors. Tax prep wasn't the smoothest.

by Zenefits on 04/03/2020

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2020
Richard W.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 28/11/2020

"Payroll is hard"

Comments: Overall very good, but as I mention above, payroll is tricky, and CRITICAL! I had some stressful moments with payroll, but once it is set up it is very easy to administer.

Pros: i like the self-service aspect access for my employees and using Zenefits for onboarding.

Cons: Payroll admin is a hard, specialized topic. I could have used a little more hand-holding in getting payroll up and running.

• Reviewed on 28/11/2020
Bz P.
Director of HR
Libraries, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2020

"Zenefits - Easy Peasy"

Comments: This is a great software for a distributed workforce. We have employees in different 20 states and 40 different locations. Zenefits makes it easy for us.

Pros: This software is so easy to use for both the employees and the HR team. Everything is simple and straightforward, no convoluted quirky tricks needed to enter information. Hiring and onboarding is super easy. Open enrollment is super easy. Payroll is super easy. PTO management is super easy.

Cons: There are some tie in products that still need some work.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2020
Sean H.
Controller
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"Easy and Convenient"

Comments: Very positive. I have never used an outside service for basic HR functions before, but was pleasantly surprised at how much work Zenefits saves me by letting employees enter their own info.

Pros: Easy to use - Managers can access/input/share the info they need, employees can fill out their own info which saves HR a lot of work. Customer Service can be contacted easily. Reports/Info can be accessed easily. Reminders are emailed to you if any necessary information is missing.

Cons: I believe Zenefits does not have the ability to pay third party garnishments directly.

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Joy W.
HR Manager
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2020

"Zenefits makes my job so much easier!!"

Comments: Zenefits streamlined and Simplified our HR! As the only HR person, Zenefits allows me to support all of our employees as if they had an entire HR department at their disposal. The online portal streamlines my HR management and provides the employees with 24 hour access to HR info. Zenefits provides EVERYTHING we need in one intuitive online portal... it handles the entire employee lifespan - from offer letters, hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and termination.

Pros: My favorite feature is the hiring process - it allows the employee to handle the data entry to start their employee folder and upload their I-9 verification docs and all I have to do is cross verify the documents on their first day. So streamlined and private - for both employee and HR.

Cons: Little to no phone support available for user issues. Online live chat and email are main access to customer support. Can be frustrating when you're in a time sensitive pinch.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2020
Venugopal S.
Technical Support
Insurance Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2018

"With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!"

Pros: In today’s life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons: This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

• Reviewed on 20/08/2018
Will F.
CFO
Online Media, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2020

"Good and Bad at the Same Time"

Comments: Please check out what I had to say for cons. If you can live with having no number to call, or at least, not a number that take you to a human who can answer your questions, then the features and software are solid. The pricing is what you would expect based on the features.

Pros: This SaaS has tons of features and can really help a small business get over those HR hurtles, although it won't replace the most valuable assets that a in-the-flesh HR person brings. Adding their payroll integration was a big win since our company was using a 401(k) admin that required manually keying in EVERYTHING back when we used intuit for payroll. So props for that!

Cons: OKAY, hear me out. The on-boarding process is unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their potential client base ended up BACKING-OUT during on-boarding. I mean, it takes 2-4 weeks, you'll already be looking a bill on your credit card, and to make matters worse, the only staff that have a phone number are SALES PEOPLE! You guessed it, the sales staff CAN NOT help you with your on boarding., PERIOD.

by Zenefits on 26/02/2020

Will, we appreciate your review.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2020
Diana P.
Human Resources & Compliance Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/04/2018

"I have used many HRIS products in my career - I love the simplicity and sophistication of Zenefits!"

Pros: There is so much to love - ease of configuration, plug and play functionality, instantaneous user access, complete control of documents, transparency to users, intuitive and consistent interfaces - the back-end touches that make this system so simple to use. New hires consistently comment on the simplicity of their onboarding and the professional appearance of the documents and emails they receive through Zenefits. I also appreciate that COBRA and other compliance requirements are seamlessly handled for me. I can be an HR department of one with Zenefits as my HR Coordinator. As a small nonprofit, we look for value and long-term investment in everything we buy - this has been one of the best and most effective purchases we have made.

Cons: I haven't found anything that I don't like or that I like less than something else. I have always been pleased with the changes and improvements made and have always received great customer service in a timely manner.

• Reviewed on 11/04/2018
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 16/06/2017

"Simple to use for admins & employees love it!"

Pros: As Zenefits users for the past three years, we've loved how easy the solution is for onboarding new employees. Employees have made comments like "I knew the company really 'got it' when the onboarding was so simple. It also nice to manage everything in one platform - payroll, benefits, onboarding, business intelligence, etc. Without Zenefits we would likely need an additional employee just to do paperwork. Zenefits has always been responsive to our needs as an organization and our customer success manager has been extremely helpful.

Cons: We had a rough open enrollment process with the tool, but we started earlier this year and should be in better shape. Because the tool is constantly evolving, sometimes features come and go (Zenefits got rid of an in-house stock options tool they had built and so we had to switch vendors as a result).

• Reviewed on 16/06/2017
Kim P.
Executive Assistant
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/04/2018

"Zenefits has greatly streamlined our onboarding process for new hires."

Comments: I have used Capterra in my research to find different software products and have found it to be very helpful.

Pros: I like that all documents for employees can be found in one place. New hire documents, performance reviews and disciplinary actions can be accessed quickly. We also are able to keep copies of our policy manuals and employee handbooks on Zenefits for easy access by our employees.

Cons: The Zenefits platform was free to use as long as we named them as our agent of record for our healthcare benefits. Then, Zenefits changed their pricing structure about a year after we started using them. They started charging for some features that were previously free, such as ACA reporting, which was a big part of our decision to go with them to begin with. They also limited the reports we could create.

Lisa M.
Vice President & Associate Resources Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/04/2018

"Just what we needed for a complete HR solution"

Pros: I like the fully integrated HR solution Zenefits provides from onboarding to time off, time and attendance, and payroll. As our company has grown, so have our needs, and Zenefit's offerings have been just what we needed each step of the way. Payroll is so simple and quick.

Cons: It closes me out after too short an amount of time. I don't have a way to put associates on leave of absence, so I have to manually adjust time off accruals. I wish the time off information was only presented in hours, never in days. Our team works 10 or 13.3 hour days, so an 8 hour day is irrelevant in our world and causes confusion. We offer a SIMPLE IRA. I wish there was an easier way to capture an associate's contribution information than having to create custom fields.

Nina D.
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"Manage Benefits & Time Off with Zenefits"

Comments: Overall, having Zenefits is great. It's easy to integrate the time off with your Outlook calendars so everyone knows when people are out and the access to your information is easy when you need it. The mobile app is also super beneficial because if you need something on the go, it's already there and is a similar experience to the website.

Pros: What I like most about this software is that it's easy to use. Everything is super straightforward and you don't have to hunt a ton for what you need. The time off section is nice because it clearly shows you how you're using your time, including your work from home and sick time. Your benefits information, employee information, and any tax information is available right on the homepage if you need anything, which makes it a lot easier for when you're searching for the exact thing you need.

Cons: The only thing I'd really like to see improved is the link out and resources to the medical insurance and benefits. This could be due to how our company's individual insurance is set up, but I do often think there is an opportunity for more resources for the insurance!

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Liz E.
Director of Operations
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/04/2018

"Zenefits has made a huge positive impact on the efficiency and quality of our HR processes."

Comments: The ability to easily and accurately manage onboarding, offboarding, payroll, benefits.

Pros: I love the ease of use for both administrators and staff as well as having all HR information in one place. The Help and online FAQs are extensive and extremely helpful as is the help desk and response time. Payroll is a breeze, open enrollment for benefits is smooth and the Time Off module is wonderful.

Cons: The only issues we've had are when people add/remove dependents or update their Life Qualifying Events and it's only happened once a year on average. Sometimes there's a miscue in the communication between Zenefits and the healthcare provider where coverage is dropped or partly dropped. But Zenefits is very quick to resolve issues.

• Reviewed on 13/04/2018
Tiersa J.
Operatons
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2020

"Stay Away - save yourself the headache, it's not worth the hype."

Comments: I regret doing business with them. Even though I knew I was signing a year contract, and after many attempts at getting our taxes properly filed I felt I had enough valid issues and things we had been promised that they did not follow through on but they refused to let us out of our contract. We ended up switching mid year [which is not ideal] to another vendor and we had to pay the remainder of our contract to Zenefits even though we didn't use them for the last 8 months. Even the tax issues that we were still dealing with months later it was really difficult to find an email address to send to support to get our tax issue fixed - once you tell them you don't want to process your payroll through them they cut you off and you can't call the fake number either. It's been horrible and I am OVERJOYED THAT WE NO LONGER HAVE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only reason I left the vendor BEFORE them was because we had outgrown them, we needed more features and functionality than they could provide. We have since moved on to better.

Pros: Very little. We signed a year contract, and switched after 4 months because we had so many legal and tax issues that they caused.

Cons: 1. The set up process was a nightmare - it took weeks because the system kept saying a certain part was done and a week later I would get an URGENT email that that part still had to be completed.
2. Several items I was guaranteed at sign up - and I have in writing - for pricing and functionality, were later denied to us. Providing proof of what we were told provided no further help.
3. There is no "real" phone number. You can call tech support, but all they will say is they will have "that department email you within XX number of hours" Many times it was up to a week, and often the issue was not resolved because no matter how we explained it they didn't understand the issue. And all support is handled through email no matter what, even if a phone call would SAVE HOURS OF TIME!
4. The pre- and post-tax items were entered into the system, come to find out they didn't classify them properly so the taxes were not calculated correctly.
5. The FEDERAL and STATE TAXES were filed incorrectly and we had tax notices from both that we owed money past due, then we ended up getting a small refund because one was paid twice. The state taxes for the first quarter of the year were NOT FILED AT ALL, even though they told me they had done so.
6. The tax reports are NOT AVAILABLE in your portal, you have to specifically request them - this to me makes no sense.
7. There is more but this will do for now.

by Zenefits on 04/03/2020

Sad to hear your experience was less than ideal Tiersa. We will use your feedback to improve training and the user experience.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2020
Mike F.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"Zenefits for the win!"

Pros: Beyond the intuitive user experience and great customer service, I have found the outside software/resource integrations to be one of the most valuable things to our business. They have leading and like-minded software relationships that make everyday accounting tasks a breeze (i.e. Zenefits, QuickBooks Online & Guideline 401k all speak to each other and remove the hassle of having to manage each one individually).

Cons: If I had to pick something for the Zenefits platform to improve, it would be the mobile app experience. It is certainly functional but I would love to harness the power of the desktop experience on mobile.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Cece N.
Vice President of HR
  • Reviewed on 01/03/2019

"Best HRIS Platform I've used"

Comments: I have the best client service representative out of any technology platform I've used. She's helpful and gets back to me quickly. Additionally, I feel like my feedback regarding changes to the tools are listened to and I find changes have been made rather quickly. Overall, I am one of Zenefits biggest cheerleaders and think it deserves all the praise from HR leaders.

Pros: I love how easy it it for not only me but my employees to navigate Zenefits. Having all benefits administration as well as payroll, performance management, time off and on-boarding documents in one place makes it simple and easy to track and record.

Cons: I know performance management is one of the newest features but it does have a few tweaks that need to be made.

• Reviewed on 01/03/2019
Katherine O.
HR Generalist
Photography, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/01/2020

"User Friendly Solution"

Comments: I use Zenefits daily and really do enjoy it. There are a few bug fixes that need to happen, but overall I do really like the product.

Pros: Super user friendly and you can easily find whatever you are looking for

Cons: The app is very buggy with clock in/out feature

by Zenefits on 04/03/2020

Thanks for provide feedback Katherine!

• Reviewed on 02/01/2020
Allen K.
Managing Director
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"Zenefits payroll is very bulky. It is also limited and lacks functionality."

Comments: Zenefits is pretty low-tech masquerading as some high tech Payroll software. There's nothing that high tech about them and just about every person on the customer service side lacks basic knowledge of its functionality. It is a lot more confusing than Gusto and is nothing more than a series of modules built on Django, Javascript and jQuery with very basic databases that run on cron jobs. I can live with the product that Zenefits has despite all of its shortcomings but the people behind it need much better training. Their fake enthusiasm coupled with little to no knowledge of the platform, hr, or payroll is a huge turn off.

Pros: Time & Attendance: Users are able to seamlessly clock in and out from their phones once they get familiar with Zenefits.
PTO: PTO is simple and streamlined.

Cons: Customer Service: The chat agents are a waste of time to talk to. The phone agents know very little but can at least put you on hold, ask their supervisor and learn as they go along.
Pay Runs are akward but here is the process:
1. You need to approve your employees timesheets.
2. Timesheets need to be pushed to payroll. This requires some time. Looks like its set up on a cron job so if you just missed it you need to wait a few minutes for it to get pushed.
3. From there you add the deductions and reimbursements. If you don't have the types set up, you'll need to step away and set them up. There's no memo you can input once you add a deduction. For example, if its an employee purchase it doesn't allow you to describe what was purchased.
4. You approve the pay run, push it through and wait for confirmation. Another cron job most likely.
PTO Policy is there but since its so easy to do, its subject to a lot of abuse. You cannot reimburse an employee in net earnings. The functionality just isn't there. You need to select whether employees clock in through an iPad or their phones. You can't mix and match. The app for an administrator is absolutely useless. There's not much you can do as an admin from your phone. Navigating is bulky. Instead of selecting your employee and seamlessly flowing through everything that relates to them, you need to first pick which module you want to use and toggle back and forth between modules.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
Caleb M.
Financial Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2016

"Great for us!"

Comments: Perfect for a small business wanting to start off their HR compliant and paperless. This software has saved me so much time, and has helped us get to a paperless environment. Zenefits isn't as 'personal' as an in-person agent, so I would say requires whoever is doing HR to be more knowledgeable about the insurance offerings (which they should be anyway IMO). It also requires employees to become a little more knowledgeable as well, rather than being spoon fed information every 6 months about "how insurance works." I would only recommend Zenefits in the instances where it integrates with Payroll.

Pros: HR is now completely paperless
Hiring and terminations are very easy
Includes company org. chart
Integrates with some payroll providers
Compliance is a breeze
Reporting is decent

Cons: Only worth it if it integrates with your payroll provider (worth switching to one that does)
Probably not great for very large companies
Replaces your existing Broker (I guess this could go in the Pro column)
Less hand holding during open enrollment period

• Reviewed on 14/10/2016
Kacy B.
HR Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2018

"It's easy to learn"

Comments: Something that would be super helpful is to add the ability to filter reports before you run them. Right now it spits out an Excel spreadsheet and then you have to manually delete the rows you don't need.

Pros: I like that it's a one-stop-shop for HR professionals. Employees onboard themselves and make sure that all the information is correct. As an employee I like the site a lot. As an admin there are some fixes that need to be made but otherwise I enjoy using it.

Cons: It's difficult to navigate to figure out which pages you need. For example, I've tried to find where our paperwork and docs like the handbook are uploaded and I can't find it. I'd like to be able to use it as a repository but I can't find out where I can upload new things.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2018
Kristen A.
Operations Manager
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2016

"Good for small new business with no HR; less flexible with larger businesses"

Comments: My company, about ~75 large, enrolled with Zenefits in early 2015. We already had our own payroll, onboarding, and benefits brokers in place; some (onboarding and most benefits) we transitioned to Zenefits. To date, we have been somewhat happy with the system, though it is not as seamless or as flexible as might be liked, especially as a company retrofits their offerings to the Zenefits system (eg, rollover of brokers and benefits plans was quite poorly handled by account managers and 'experts'). We have also had ~8 account managers over less than 2 years, which is frustrating to us as well as indicative of a company in some turmoil; neither they nor Support have necessarily been particularly knowledgeable about some standard HR policy, as well as their internal functioning. That said, for an inexpensive product it does perform much of the HR paperwork, admin, and processing; it also provides helpful reminders and processing regarding ACA regulations, EEOC reports, etc.

Pros: Fairly comprehensive in what it offers, and is increasingly customizable in its various offerings. Support is kind and prompt, though not always the most immediately knowledgeable. Reports for business are easy to pull and very useful. Very clear, straightforward, and user-friendly interface, for both employees and admins.

Cons: Rollover of plans and brokers can be a real hassle, and the Zenefits account managers aren't always the most knowledgeable or the most immediate links to benefits vendors. The software on the back-end is still buggy and may hit tech snags. Employee interactions are for the most part positive, but there was a COBRA issue that went on for months. Similarly, when requesting a training on 'what health insurance is, and what my options are' the manager mostly took us through 'how to upload your profile pic' (granted, this was early 2015, I think those offerings have either been improved or abolished).

• Reviewed on 14/12/2016
Theresa K.
Director of HR & Development
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2016

"Zenefits Platform"

Comments: I had the opportunity to move to the Zenefits platform from a larger HR software platform. The main reason for the move was due to budgeting constraints with our business. I was rewarded through this change by gaining a system that was easy to use on both the administration side as well as the end user side. In fact, I was given a compliment on the Zenefits platform by the head of our IT department. He commented that both the look and feel of the Zenefits platform was a huge improvement to the system that we used previously.

Pros: Employees were able to complete onboarding online which sped up the HR paperwork process as well as allows documents to be stored on the cloud. The Zenefits platform also allowed employees to update their personal, banking, tax information on their own without having to complete the work via a paper process as we had in the past.

Cons: Because Zenefits is acting as your insurance broker, you must work through them for all edits, changes, or updates. This process took longer than we had been used to because we had managed everything on our end working straight through the insurance carrier.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2016
Lauren R.
Assistant Director Of Operations
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2019

"Zenefits"

Comments: I've been using it for about 18 months now and have had a great experience overall, both with the customer service and with the online community.

Pros: It's a very customizable service that allows my business to easily onboard new employees, track their required credentials, and keep track of all of the essential pieces of employment paperwork that we require from them. The customs fields feature is especially handy.

Cons: Pricing for some of the add-on features seems a little high. I would like to utilize the Performance Management feature for my small business that primarily employees part-time staff members, but the increase in monthly cost isn't yet justifiable.

• Reviewed on 07/05/2019
Operations Manager + Executive Assistant
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/11/2019

"Great timesaver"

Comments: It's been pretty great. The benefits outweigh the annoyances.

Pros: Zenefits is a great way to save time. Onboarding new staff is smooth, intuitive, and paper-free. We use it to have all staff sign a handbook and collect information for taxes, benefits, and fun. It's been a game changer regarding time off as well.

Cons: There have been bugs and inconsistencies that have created confusion from time to time, and they're very much still working on the product.

• Reviewed on 26/11/2019
President & CEO
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/03/2019

"On-Boarding Process Is Outstanding"

Pros: Once you go through the initial set-up process, the automation is wonderful. The onboarding process from the Offer Letter right through to the I-9 verification on day 1 happens automatically. The system will take care of presenting the new employee with any required documents that need their signature and keep them safely stored. The system collects the employees' data including bank data for automatic payroll deposits. Background checks can also be set-up to occur automatically.

Cons: We were one of the early subscribers to this software and the system was free to use as long as Zenefits handled the employees' health benefits. There is now a charge to use the system. Even with that, it is well worth is. We use it for onboarding, employee clock in and out and payroll.

• Reviewed on 14/03/2019