15 years helping Emirati businesses

TriNet Zenefits Reviews

About TriNet Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about TriNet Zenefits

Pros:

Had been one of the first users. Loved simplicity of the software.

Cons:

Some hiring documents generated contain risky errors. The information presented is not customizable enough for most businesses.

TriNet Zenefits ratings

4.4
3.9
4.2
4.2

7.9/10

TriNet Zenefits has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 821 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used TriNet Zenefits before?

Shae
Shae
Human Resources Director in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Comments: -Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros:

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons:

I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

Amanda
Amanda
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Our HR functions are centralized at Zenefits

Comments: Payroll, new hire paperwork, paid time off, and benefits administration are just some of the fundamental HR features managed by Zenefits. We may be a small group, but we're responsible for the same number of procedures as a large company. It's fantastic to have a system in place that keeps everything coordinated without requiring us to constantly monitor, update, calculate, and email each other.

Pros:

If your clients are willing to utilize Zenefits for everything from onboarding to benefit administration to payroll, you've found a superb all-in-one solution. When effectively implemented, Zenefits is all an organization needs to manage its workforce.

Cons:

Customers who have questions for their broker must use the built-in "help" function rather than get in touch with an individual directly. The current state of available learning management technologies and straightforward guidelines leaves much to be desired.

CFO in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Great Sales Department but not backed up by Service or Software

Comments: I love the onboarding and sales process. Every person I talk with at Zenefits is pleasant and understanding. Whoever is in charge of the software development and customer service systems should be fired. In order to get a question answered one has to submit to a complex matrix of categories and subjects. I rarely could find the particular category that I needed. Tax Services are a joke. I just received an email on Feb 16 2021 for a quick question that I had on May 7th of 2020. If you have any need for any changes that require a human, find a different way.

Pros:

Timekeeping is accurate. The time-off request and approval process works great. Like the PTO Calendar. Every task could be performed even if some were clunky.

Cons:

Navigation is not intuitive and few improvements over 2 years. There were bugs when working with state taxes (for WA). Claimed integration with Quickbooks Desktop is flat out lies. Integration with Quickbooks Online is weak at best. DON'T TRUST Zenefits to make changes to your payroll tax filings. Will take 6+ months to get a response.

Asnath
Assistant Projects Manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

A Revolutionary and Resourceful Human Resources Platform.

Comments: It is simple to track employees time and attendance with TriNet Zenefits.

Pros:

It is simple to generate timely and accurate employees payroll with this tool.It is simple to administer and manage employee benefits with TriNet Zenefits.It is a reliable tool for employees onboarding process.It is simple to track, monitor and manage employee work performance with TriNet Zenefits.

Cons:

TriNet Zenefits streamlines and simplify our human resources activities thus I have nothing to complain.

joy
HR Manager in US

Great for small HR department

Comments: My favorite feature is the hiring process - it allows the employee to handle the data entry to start their employee folder and upload their I-9 verification docs and all I have to do is cross verify the documents on their first day. So streamlined and private - for both employee and HR. The streamlined all-in-one features of Zenefits allowed us to drop outside consultants and service providers. It also significantly reduced internal hours spent on HR data entry and overall employee HR management. This was a huge ROI in terms of the money and time we saved.

Pros:

Zenefits streamlined and Simplified our HR! As the only HR person, Zenefits allows me to support all of our employees as if they had an entire HR department at their disposal. The online portal streamlines my HR management and provides the employees with 24 hour access to HR info. Zenefits provides EVERYTHING we need in one intuitive online portal... it handles the entire employee lifespan - from offer letters, hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and termination.

Cons:

Little to no phone support available for user issues. Online live chat and email are main access to customer support. Can be frustrating when you're in a time sensitive pinch.

Alan
Alan
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

TriNet simplifies employee benefits, money, and policies

Comments: Trinet handles the tedious administrative tasks that arise. They're quite competent, and having a single, dedicated agent has simplified our interactions with them.

Pros:

Paychecks, tax documents, insurance information, spending accounts, and corporate policies are all conveniently housed in one location thanks to TriNet.

Cons:

When using my own device, I don't see the need to log in every day, therefore there may be room for improvement in settings like this. I realize this may be a matter of corporate policy, however it has been brought up in previous evaluations.

Sara
Sara
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Zenefits has been a great help in our HR team

Comments: Zenefits' primary functions are human resources (HR) and onboarding (H.R.) document management, paid time off (PTO) management, and payroll processing. Our entire organization uses it, from administrative assistants to IT specialists and, eventually, even our independent contractors.

Pros:

Although the initial investment in Zenefits appeared substantial, the time I've reclaimed from previously spent on HR, onboarding, and payroll processes has more than paid for the service.

Cons:

Although Zenefits' payroll services still meet customers' needs, I feel the company has declined overall. The product has not progressed and is still missing important features like the ability to claim R&D tax credits.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Effective, but pricey, payroll tool

Comments: The experience has been ok. It gets the job done but I'd be open to new options.

Pros:

Zenefits has gotten the job done in terms of payroll and paying out contractors when needed. And they handle payroll taxes and necessary payroll reporting to the government.

Cons:

The cost is high for a small business who might not have needs for most of their features. And the service has been fairly slow. For example, it took me a month to get a new form of payment on file as my business credit card had expired. During that month I had to handwrite checks and could not use the service.

Tracy
Tracy
VP of Operations in US
Market Research Software, 201–500 Employees

Long time user of Zenefits

Comments: Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros:

What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons:

Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

Government Administration, 2–10 Employees

User friendly solution, good experience overall

Comments: We were able to get a good grasp of our employee timekeeping, and it saved us a lot of time processing payroll each week.

Pros:

I liked how easy it was to manage payroll. I also really appreciated all of the resources for HR handbooks, job descriptions, performance reviews, etc. Customer service was great, and really flexible with some of my out of the box requests. Having our employees clock in via our ipad app was handy. The mobile features were rough at first, but are coming around nicely.

Cons:

The templates for new contractors and new hires were rather lackluster. It was also a little clunky and almost overly simplistic to pay contractors. Tax prep wasn't the smoothest.

TriNet Group Response

4 years ago

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Otto
Executive in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

21 days and counting for customer support RE: Tax issue

Pros:

The software is comprehensive and allows us to make one purchase for everything we need. The price is right and fair

Cons:

We had no cons until recently when we submitted a support request to the tax department. Some state taxes went unpaid by Zenefits Payroll. State governments give a very short period of time before they begin levying 10% + interest. (In our case we had 10 days to rectify the issue or send a response). So far we are 21 days into our support request and have not received any response other than the initial confirmation of receipt. We followed up 8 business days in, and were met with silence. This will likely be a the reason we change software in 2021.

Brooks
CEO in US

Incredibly happy users

Comments: Overall experience with Zenefits has been very good and we would highly recommend.

Pros:

Zenefits is very to use and the onboarding process is a breeze.

Cons:

Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting.

Human Resources Software, 11–50 Employees

Stay Away From This Company

Comments: I am filled with regret switching to Zenefits. We have spent 40+ hours easily setting things up. I can't disrupt our employees again with another switch. I woudl if I could.

Pros:

I like the idea of what they are trying to accomplish...a hub for HR and payroll. They missed the mark because they created a product that doesn't flow and is very difficult to use. The customer service has a 3 day min wait. If I could leave, I would in a heartbeat. Filled with regret.

Cons:

When you are trying to set up the core of your business and continue to function seamlessly, customer service should be available at all business hours. If you are lucky enough to get a calndly link, you can schedule, but there is usuallya minimum of 3 days to wait. This is so unacceptable. The product itself is clunky, disjointed and not at all intuitive. You have to go to different sections to see different things about an employee instead of clicking in tehri name and seeing everything related to their employment in one spot. Thet auto-approved our payroll on teh last day of teh pay cycle prior to teh day's end. That is crazy.

Micah
Logistics Officer in US
Medical Devices, 11–50 Employees

Great all-in-one HR software

Pros:

Lots of tools in one software (payroll, PTO tracking, timeclock, integrations, hiring/firing, doc management, etc) Easy to setup, easy to use Integrates with our 401K, medical, etc

Cons:

Support is a bit clunky Can be a little slow

Jessica
Director Of Operations in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

We're new but we love it here

Comments: We love it. We're excited for the years to come.

Pros:

It's SO incredibly user friendly. We are taking our time to train staff who are not as computer savvy, but even with that, it's very straight forward.

Cons:

The integrations could include zoom. They use the software to communicate throughout the onboarding process so I assumed an integration existed but it doesn't. That's honestly about it.

Mike
HR Manager in US
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

Feature-Packed HR Platform

Pros:

At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons:

The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

Lauren
HR Director
Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates

Comments: It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros:

The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons:

Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

Pharmaceuticals, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Decent Human Resources Platform for Businesses Small and Large

Comments: My overall experience with Zenefits has been great. The pricing has been fair, the service has lived up to expectations, and most importantly, everyone who uses it at my place of work shares the same mindset, more or less. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a decent HR platform, as I am sure it would not disappoint except for when it comes to the occasional technical glitch here and there, which I am sure applies to anything having to do with technology.

Pros:

What I like most about this software is the layout in which all of its functionalities are presented. Whether it be payroll, benefit elections, or anything else relating to human resource necessities, Zenefits has what both the employee and employer are looking for when it comes to ease of use and variety of functionalities and features. I very much like that the service is offered on both a web browser as well as a smartphone app, which allows for on-location or on-the-go usage. Lastly, I find the pricing for such a great service to be very reasonable, and the method in which pricing is to be determined to be quite fair as well, (when compared to competing companies offering similar services).

Cons:

As a whole, Zenefits is there for you when you need it and delivers up to expectations. However, if there was one thing that I believe should be somewhat stabilized, it would be the clock in and clock out feature on the mobile app, which at times might be a bit challenging to work with, as it sometimes freezes the phone screen, resulting in the need to restart the whole phone for it to begin working again. This happens on very rare occasions, but when it does happen, it is a bit inconvenient. Other than that one small aspect, there is not much else that is negative to report.

Byung
CFO in US

One Stop HR Solution

Comments: Migrated from old ways of "calling in" payroll to online platform such as Zenefits saved limited man hours and resources for a small company.

Pros:

Zenefits makes payroll processing and new hire onboarding easy. It also keeps all the employee records and eliminates need for paper.

Cons:

They used to have a support phone number where you could be connected to a live service representative. I wish they bring that feature back or perhaps an online chat/talk function where you can connect to a live person. Many questions can be answered online or through well-prepared online learning videos or narratives and a service question/issue is usually within 1 or 2 business days.

Casey
HR in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Just okay

Comments: Zenefits is nice because it can be used anywhere by pretty much anyone, it is has an easy mobile app and a simple dashboard. However, Zenefits fails at being open to feedback and actually caring about the customer who literally spend thousands of dollars to use their service.

Pros:

It is nice that everything is in one location and Zenefits is fairly easy to navigate.

Cons:

-The new time/attendance is an absolute nightmare, it is glitchy and slow. -Customer Service is pretty bad, long wait times and minimal solutions, we have had a tax issue (created by Zenefits) for the last 2 years that they have still not resolved. -Club Zen is where I was advised to provide feedback, which was pretty uneventful.

TriNet Group Response

4 years ago

Thank you for your feedback Casey. Our goal is to provide a quality experience we are proud of. We will use your feedback to improve product, training, and UX.

Lisa
HR Director in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Excellent UX - Lacks on the service provided

Pros:

The platform itself is incredibly easy to use. The time off feature was extremely valuable and appreciated by employees. Open Enrollment via the platform was easy for the employee and running reports was incredibly efficient. Overall, the platform was well made and well managed.

Cons:

The payroll "integration" was never accurate so we couldn't rely on it. The service that Zenefits provided, from a Customer Service standpoint, was unreliable. We always had issues, whether it be random deletion of employees from our benefits, adding dependents randomly to our benefits, an agent assuring us something was taken care of and finding it was not, being provided incorrect info, taking long periods of time to correct errors, getting different answers from different reps, etc..., we could not rely on their service. We had to duplicate our efforts so frequently that the "automated" service Zenefits provided was irrelevant. Also, while the data migration was provided in a bulk download, we were missing documents and had to reactivate our account multiple times to retrieve missing documents. Nowadays, local insurance brokers are providing robust services with Open Enrollment platforms that integrate with most systems - Zenefits and the headache of their customer service doesn't provide value any longer.

Kristen
Operations Manager
Management Consulting, 51–200 Employees

Good for small new business with no HR; less flexible with larger businesses

Comments: My company, about ~75 large, enrolled with Zenefits in early 2015. We already had our own payroll, onboarding, and benefits brokers in place; some (onboarding and most benefits) we transitioned to Zenefits. To date, we have been somewhat happy with the system, though it is not as seamless or as flexible as might be liked, especially as a company retrofits their offerings to the Zenefits system (eg, rollover of brokers and benefits plans was quite poorly handled by account managers and 'experts'). We have also had ~8 account managers over less than 2 years, which is frustrating to us as well as indicative of a company in some turmoil; neither they nor Support have necessarily been particularly knowledgeable about some standard HR policy, as well as their internal functioning. That said, for an inexpensive product it does perform much of the HR paperwork, admin, and processing; it also provides helpful reminders and processing regarding ACA regulations, EEOC reports, etc.

Pros:

Fairly comprehensive in what it offers, and is increasingly customizable in its various offerings. Support is kind and prompt, though not always the most immediately knowledgeable. Reports for business are easy to pull and very useful. Very clear, straightforward, and user-friendly interface, for both employees and admins.

Cons:

Rollover of plans and brokers can be a real hassle, and the Zenefits account managers aren't always the most knowledgeable or the most immediate links to benefits vendors. The software on the back-end is still buggy and may hit tech snags. Employee interactions are for the most part positive, but there was a COBRA issue that went on for months. Similarly, when requesting a training on 'what health insurance is, and what my options are' the manager mostly took us through 'how to upload your profile pic' (granted, this was early 2015, I think those offerings have either been improved or abolished).

Betsy
Director of HR in US

Zenefits is a great piece of software making tremendous improvements all the time.

Pros:

The ease of use for both employee and administrator is fantastic. New hires report an extremely pleasant onboarding experience through the platform. The automation is great and most things work extremely well. When they don't, my account manager is incredibly responsive and helpful. I absolutely love that the product team has taken several of my suggestions for improved functionality and implemented them.

Cons:

Document storage doesn't work well for our use case. As a law firm, we have significant needs in this area and the current system is inadequate and cumbersome. Our need is greater than the typical use case. I preferred being able to call customer support when I had issues (outside of what my account manager handles). Submitting an issue through the portal and awaiting an email reply or call back (depending on which option is selected) is not ideal. Highly recommend a return to the prior method because it felt more available and 'real time'.

Finance and Administration Manager in US

Zenefits is my go-to for all things related to HR. User friendly for both adm and end-user.

Comments: As mentioned in the review...

Pros:

Zenefits was a lifesaver for our growing firm. Our firm was initially looking for a way to better manager PTO requests, but as we learned more about the product offerings, we took full advantage of making Zenefits the cornerstone of our HR infrastructure. Besides PTO tracking, the most useful/time saving features are onboarding new employees and open enrollment. With the functionality Zenefits provides, these previously time consuming and scattered tasks have become easy, accurate, and seamless. Having Zenefits available as a tool has enabled our Firm to offer employees a fully transparent HR tool that can assist them in managing their HR needs.

Cons:

The inability to integrate information with our payroll provider - ADP Run. When Zenefits was launched at our firm, the integration was available and very useful. While not a deal-breaker, not having that integration is a bit of a pain.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Simple to use for admins & employees love it!

Pros:

As Zenefits users for the past three years, we've loved how easy the solution is for onboarding new employees. Employees have made comments like "I knew the company really 'got it' when the onboarding was so simple. It also nice to manage everything in one platform - payroll, benefits, onboarding, business intelligence, etc. Without Zenefits we would likely need an additional employee just to do paperwork. Zenefits has always been responsive to our needs as an organization and our customer success manager has been extremely helpful.

Cons:

We had a rough open enrollment process with the tool, but we started earlier this year and should be in better shape. Because the tool is constantly evolving, sometimes features come and go (Zenefits got rid of an in-house stock options tool they had built and so we had to switch vendors as a result).