• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.7 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.5 /5

About Gusto

Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR refreshingly easy for small businesses.

Learn more about Gusto

Showing 2,834 reviews

Karen A.
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2020

"Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses"

Comments: Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

Pros: Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

Cons: Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2020
Dulce L.
Legal assistant
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2021

"Great for payroll! Get paid the NEXT DAY!"

Comments: Overall very positive! I love it. So far I’ve used Quickbooks payroll and Workforce. I love this a lot better for sure.

Pros: This software allows the employee to be able to make adjustments to their tax withholding at any time, request for time off, check their sick/PTO time, etc. I love that it offers this self service portal! I also love that you can see the profiles of your coworkers. It shows you their company role, birthday and when they first started working with the company. Definitely comes in handy when you want to celebrate work anniversaries or surprise a coworker for their birthday.
This software also emails you when you’re being paid and shows you the preview of how big your check is. You can always turn this off if you do not wish to receive notifications, but I sure love it!
The best thing is that you can process payroll one day and employees are paid the next!

Cons: The only con is there isn’t a mobile app. It would be nice is mobile users could check their past paystubs and other information using a mobile app instead of the mobile web.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2021
Jesse G.
Accounting Software, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2020

"Best option out there"

Comments: Very positive.

Pros: We (BooksTime) are an accounting firm and work with many payroll solutions for many different businesses. Gusto is the most user-friendly of them all, by far. Plus, it has a modern, slick interface. And Gusto has a far better track record for consistent quality, compared to their biggest competitors.

Cons: More features would be nice. For example: ability to pay contractors in Puerto Rico, more employee dossier and evaluation features, etc. Also would be nice if each client had a dedicated support person, instead of a different contact for each new question/problem.

• Reviewed on 13/08/2020
Brad H.
Co-Founder/Chief Janitor
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2018

"I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about"

Comments: 1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right.
2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business.
3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.

Pros: It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm!
I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons: I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2018
Cory M.
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2020

"A Must Have!"

Comments: Our small non-profit has loved being customers of Gusto!

Pros: We don't have to think about it! It lets us know when there are actions to take. We can set up our payments to our employees and even schedule sick days, vacation days, bonuses, raises, insurance, investment plans and so much more! It is awesome!

Cons: There is nothing that I have found that I can complain about. They have fantastic customer service and are able to help you quickly and effectively.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2020
Noah G.
Legal Assistant
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/02/2020

"Noah's Review of Gusto"

Comments: Overall Gusto is great. The process is streamlined, intuitive, and W-2s are generated quickly! At the end of the day, Gusto can save you a lot of money in regards to bookkeeping costs by hour. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have not had to deal with customer service, so I cannot speak on that matter.

Pros: Best thing about Gusto: Employment taxes (941s). The fact that Gusto takes care of this is great, and can help companies avoid making accounting errors which can lead to steep penalties with the IRS. Another great thing about Gusto is their paystubs, very detailed and easy to read for employees. Lastly, on the user side, it is a very intuitive program to use.

Cons: Entering employee withholdings (parking, bus pass, etc.) can be a bit confusing. We have run into issues with over withholding using Gusto, but this can be avoided if you employ a bookkeeper with a fair amount of experience using the product, a bookkeeper new to the product may need to receive some training in regards to specific payroll withholdings (not including 941s, SSA, medicare).

• Reviewed on 19/02/2020
Neha T.
Tax Consultant
Management Consulting, 10,000+ Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2018

"Awesome payroll support for small businesses."

Pros: Gusto is a perfect and easy to use payroll portal both for employer & employees. It has a self on boarding system, for employers to send new hires their offer letter and paper work through its portal. Employees can easily update their address, direct deposit info, withholding all in one place. Previous month’s pay stubs can also be accessed easily. Employees can easily load W2 directly into turbo tax through its website. One can also keep track on the taxes paid. Gusto also offers detailed description and helpful tips of required information to be inputted. Its editing process is also very simple & straightforward when any changes need to be made to employee info or business features.

Cons: Gusto seems overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Also there is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. A separate system for contractors for invoicing needs to be maintained. Also Direct Deposit should be little faster. Customer service is also not that good.

• Source: GetApp
Director, International Operations
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Love Gusto"

Comments: It is an engaging payroll software and we really enjoy using it.

Pros: The best part about Gusto is the simple layout, to the employee. It is fresh, fun and easy to navigate. There are animations and you can really store a ton of useful information on the employee page, including pay history, position information and tax info. Also, the bi-weekly pay email is fun and energizing.

Cons: The only issue I have ever encountered with Gusto is the way the paycheck renders when you click to view it. It often expands past the edge of the screen and makes it hard to view. Luckily, there are a few ways to review this information.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Johnny S.
CFO
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2021

"Amazing Payroll service."

Comments: I use this software for payroll for Mariposa Montessori. It makes payroll simple and easy to use and saves me time.

Pros: I like how all the benefits and 401k benefits are easily integrated with the software. Payroll takes about two minutes.

Cons: There is not really much I can say about what I do not like. Maybe just building the custom reports sometimes can be a little challenging.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2021
Hugo O.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2019

"The Simplest Software For Running Payroll!"

Comments: Gusto has made it seamless running payroll for our business. Additionally, when hiring new employees the onboarding and simplified process of adding new team members has been a plus.

Pros: I am big on ease of use and user experience and what I love most about Gusto is how simple it is to use. From the onboarding process to running payroll for our employees. What's also a fantastic is the reporting to the IRS and helping us stay on track with running payroll.

Cons: To be honest, there isn't much I would say I like least about the Gusto. It's been a pleasurable and uneventful experience utilizing Gusto as our payroll provider.

• Reviewed on 27/11/2019
Cary C.
sales
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2018

"I think this is one of the best software programs if you have to do payroll and filing"

Comments: Awesome software for keeping your payroll on point and it also allows employees, contractors etc etc to look at all their past payroll history any time they want. You can handle all kinds of situations with this software including notifications with money deposits, or if you need to turn in a time off notice you could do it through this software,

Pros: First of all I believe Gusto is more user friendly than any type of Quickbooks related software program. This program will literally keep your payroll organized and on point It actually gives me the exact amount of payroll that I owe every other week which helps me stay on track and eases up some of my frustrations crunching numbers and physically doing it myself. It literally does everything for you once you have the specific information entered, especially filing and organizing your payroll

Cons: It is priced a little bit more than similar programs but that is ok because I know for a fact with everything you ever buy that you will always get what you pay for. You want to be cheap, you get cheap software that you have to replace or winds up being junk, you want to spend a little extra your not paying out the butt later on new software.

Brooka S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"I LOVE THIS PAYROLL SOFTWARE!"

Comments: The benefit with Gusto is all the reminders that it sends to your email (and never too many emails sent). It has allowed me to manage and organize all my employees and their preferences in one spot while allowing me to run payroll and file tax forms with ease. I am new at running a business and Gusto has really helped with the learning curve!

Pros: This software has not only made my life easier when it comes to payroll because it's so simple and easy to use, but it has allowed me to learn more because of all the tutorials and explanations that it gives. If I have a question, I don't have to hop on the phone or a chat line to get my questions answered because they have everything spelled out and explained for the "regular" non-tax/accountant professional.

Cons: I have no current complaints about this software at this time because it meets all my needs COMPLETELY!

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020
John H.
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2019

"Payroll Made Easy"

Comments: Overall very simple software to use. I can always find what I need and get a nice email every pay period showing the breakdown of my paycheck.

Pros: This software is cloud-based and simple to use for users. It has a nice dashboard layout and quickly able to navigate from the left-side display. You can easily find your paystubs all the way back to your start date and see year to date statistics about your pay, benefits, and deductions. There is also a tab for your benefits so if you have a 401K or HSA/FSA you can see what, is contributed to those. Easily update your state and federal allowances yourself and add any additional withholdings with the click of a button. Also, have a documents section that has all of your prior year W-2s. One nice feature is the giving section. If you give regularly to a charity you can have it deducted directly from your paycheck.

Cons: Like many cloud-based applications we use in our office the calendar is all right but not useful. It would be nice if they were able to integrate their calendar into our office calendar (Google calendar).

• Reviewed on 21/11/2019
Charlie B.
Partner
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2020

"Excellent value"

Pros: Every small business should be using Gusto. It's perfect for growing companies

Cons: None. Literally happy with every feature

• Reviewed on 11/12/2020
Jay O.
Accounting Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2020

"The One app you need for payroll management"

Comments: Great experience!

Pros: Ease of use, customer support is great, lot of features to ease payroll management

Cons: I don't like how Gusto syncs the reimbursements to QBO - lump sum amount

• Reviewed on 27/11/2020
Robert D.
    4.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2016

"Cheapest, fastest, best service"

Pros: Their pricing is not only competitive, but scales linearly with the size of your organization - beating many other services handily price-wise for smaller companies, especially if you run bi-weekly or weekly payrolls. The ability to pay Gusto by month rather than by the payroll gives me flexibility in paying our employees more frequently without added cost. To top it all off, their customer service reflects their aim of taking on their relatively enormous competitors - they have an incredible support team.

Cons: They don't show net pay until after you hit submit. It makes grossing up bonuses a pain, but that's ultimately not a big deal. Plus, for how few times I've had to do it, it remains a possibility that they've got this functionality now and I'm just not aware of it. The area for viewing prior payrolls also bothers me, as I'd prefer something less flashy and more strictly functional (don't gate viewing prior payrolls by making me click to scroll the list down, Gusto, it's aesthetically pleasing but functionally it's an unnecessary hassle).

• Reviewed on 27/07/2016
Digital Marketing Consultant for SaaS Startups
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2018

"An HR-solution revelation for employees"

Comments: I wish the HR solutions at my previous companies had been as helpful as Gusto has been. So many other providers create such needless headaches when looking for the most basic employment (pay, benefits, insurance, 401k, etc.) information. Gusto's been a revelation.

Pros: As an employee, it's been such a revelation using Gusto. It's so easy to get so many HR-related things done (check pay stubs, change tax exemption status, see benefits, etc.) in a friendly, well-designed solution that it's mind-boggling that some of the older, entrenched HR solutions have been getting away with such a painful UX for so long. It's one of those companies where they really seem to lean into their brand promise in every little interaction... even when I emailed them to ask a question about COBRA coverage, they responded sooner than expected with a friendly, personalized, helpful response. It felt like I was talking to someone who represented the company and genuinely cared about my experience with them. (Unlike, say, an outsourced call center person.)

Cons: I don't know what Gusto costs relative to the competition, so I don't know what the ROI will be for you, but frankly I haven't run into any frustrations with Gusto, yet. It's been nothing but pleasant surprises.

• Reviewed on 16/09/2018
Tyler S.
General Manager
Automotive, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2020

"My Favorite Payroll and HR Software Thus far"

Comments: The software is clean and easy to use, I can call the HR Pros at any time to help me in situations or projects, the chat feature is great too, Employee surveys to track happiness, HR document, and resource center.

Pros: Easy to use
Streamlined payroll process
Connecting with the HR Pros to answer all your questions is a breeze
You can add all sorts of benefits straight through this software
Integration to QBO
Employee Surveys

Cons: Needs a Mobile App
Time Tracking needs to be upgraded

• Reviewed on 09/02/2020
Nolan H.
Financial Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2018

"Very easy-to-use, simple software that does everything I really need it to."

Comments: Like I said, I'm not sure what changed, but when we first started with Gusto (mid-2017), the response rate on emails were fantastic. Now, the only time I can get a response via email is if I submit a question and end up calling multiple days later. By the time my email is responded to, I typically have the answer from some other source or from a phone call. Good software with the potential to be great.

Pros: --Very easy to use overall
--The dashboard is nice, especially with the notifications
--Love the intertwined tax forms
--Ability to customize reports
--Number of different reports you can run
--For the most part, support is very knowledgeable

Cons: The only con I really have is that Gusto used to be so good about responding to email and questions submitted online in a timely manner. Now, I feel like to get anyone to respond, I have to call which isn't a bad thing, but most of the time the person on the other end can't help me directly. They typically have to pass me off or get back to me via email which is what I would like to happen from the get-go.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2018
John K.
Owner/Chief Accounting Guide
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/10/2020

"Gusto Payroll Review"

Pros: Gusto is the easiest to use and most intuitive payroll system out there! The support teams are amazing! And setting up a new company takes less than 30 min if you have all the required license numbers. Onboarding a new employee is a breeze. We recommend Gusto to all of our payroll seeking clients.

Cons: Lately it's the constant changes in the menus/features. Outside of that... there are zero cons about Gusto.

• Reviewed on 31/10/2020
Michael R.
President / CEO
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2018

"If you like the pain of Payroll Don't hire gusto! They make payroll seem non-existent!"

Comments: An all in one solution for payroll has saved me time and an insane amount of money. I can't say enough about how excited I am that technology like this exists.

Pros: I love, love, love that i can export emplyee hours from T-Sheets into Gusto with just a few clicks. I love that my employees can go onto Gusto and make changes to their own account for tax purposes and time off requests.

Cons: This isin't really a Con but since i've only been using it for a few years but I can't help but wonder if everything is getting done. Customer support reassures me that the IRS is getting my payments but they make everything soo easy it seems to good to be true!

• Reviewed on 13/06/2018
Jared D.
Customer Success Manager
  • Reviewed on 11/01/2020

"Fantastic Modern Payroll Platform"

Comments: At my previous company, we didn't have any type of payroll app like this for employees. I wish I had known about it sooner so I could have implemented it there. The only other tool I've used is ADP, which was older and a bit antiquated. Gusto is much more up-to-date and the UI is so much cleaner.

Pros: Our company uses Gusto to manage payroll and it's so easy to use. Their interface is very straightforward and quickly allows you to update personal info, allowances and other payroll info. It also has a really nice monthly survey it sends out to all employees asking for feedback about how the company is doing. It's a great way to anonymously let leadership know how employees feel about the company in general and specific departments.

Cons: We use Employee Navigator to manage time off, benefits tracking and some other miscellaneous HR data. It'd be great if Gusto offered those features as well so it could be all-in-one solution rather than having to use two separate apps.

• Reviewed on 11/01/2020
Jessica M.
Director of Human Resources
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2020

"Look no further!"

Comments: What a wonderful program to work with when in HR. From onboarding to payroll, it's super user friendly. I honestly have ZERO reasons to look at any other programs.

Pros: Running payroll with Gusto makes me not hate payroll! It let's me upload the files I need to use, it handshakes with other programs we use and it really walks me through each piece of payroll so I don't forget anything.

Cons: Customer service messages are usually responded to the following day which can be hard if you need a response right away HOWEVER I have yet to need anything urgent so the next day has typically worked great for me.

• Reviewed on 10/08/2020
Brynn S.
Treasurer
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2020

"Best payroll service, hands down"

Comments: I love it, especially the automation features that allow me to be very hands-off with repetitive tasks.

Pros: The simplicity of the interface, automation of reports, the ease of customization.

Cons: The only thing I can think of is that sometimes some features are buried in places that don’t make a ton of sense. For example whenever I want the payroll calendar I have to hunt for it because it’s not where I assume it would be. Same thing when I’ve run payroll and need to cancel it to make a change, I can’t ever remember where to find that feature so I end up spending time hunting for it.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2020
Steve C.
VP
Furniture, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2021

"Easy to use payroll system"

Comments: Very satisfied customer. Coming from Paychex and their cumbersome system, using Gusto has been an awesome transition.

Pros: Ease of use. Integration with my timecard system (Homebase) has made submitting payroll a breeze. I like the onboarding process of new employees and how Gusto handles my employee benefits and time off as well.

Cons: I would like the timecard system to be improved so I would not need another solution to handle that.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2021