• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.3 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    4.4 /5

About PagerDuty

Cloud software that connects people, systems & data into a single view for visibility and actionable intelligence across operations.

Learn more about PagerDuty

Kenneth D.
Devops Engineer
Financial Services Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2019

"PagerDuty : A solution to almost every problem you didn't know you had yet"

Comments: The software just works. We have had almost thirty thousand alerts flow through PagerDuty since we first started using it. The software completely replaced a rather broken SMS / Email alert chain overnight and has been by far the most valuable product we have purchased for keeping our system uptime levels where they need to be. Lastly a personal experience which I will always cherish. It's a snowy winter day and you're on call, but you needed paperless, and cat food, and pedlyte and diapers and other bits, so you took your 2 year old to a big box store. You're all the way at the back of the store and your phone goes off with "Something's broken... Something's Broken... It's your Fault! ... It's your Fault!..." In the box store, with a full cart and a toddler. Next thing you know... you're flying through the box store to the front, diapers falling out of the cart, sippy cup lost, toys missing, and toddler singing along with your phone since he now knows the words quite well. Get to the front, abandon the cart, the two children's voices still going full tilt, and get out to the parking lot just in the nick of time to production by ninja resizing a set of boxes as they are almost to the point of falling all over themselves. No one noticed. Thanks to PagerDuty. And now I'm *still* known as "The Something's Broken" dude by the managers of that store. They sing it to me every time I'm there 2 years later.

Pros: Integration with CloudWatch, webhooks, Jira is outstanding, functional, and reliable. The application has gotten better over the years I have used it. Handles real issues in real time with everything you need Allows on-call individuals to customize their notification scheme to fit their life. Having full control over when, where and how you are "dinged" is just awesome.

Cons: It's a little expensive per user if you need simple API things. The rule set for routing isn't as good as VictorOps for the same price point. PagerDuty is missing a "default route" option like VictorOps has. This is minor, because it's rather trivial to setup an extra account and use that "extra dummy account" as the "Default". I'm counting this as a "con" since we have had to do this for every single deployment of PagerDuty I've worked on where we wish to have alerts go to a team, but not actually notify anyone. Lastly, business-hours-only alerting is a little weak. (Maybe it has gotten better.) Every implementation I've found, we need to have some sort of queued' alerts which we don't want to wake us up in the middle of the night but we want to or need to know about next business day situation we have had to work hard to implement in PagerDuty.

James M.
Director of Information Security
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2019

"The best option if you need to be alerted for when things go down"

Comments: We were tired of paging everyone all the time on things going down or coming back up. Now it pages one person during business hours only. Also if the server comes back up it'll close the ticket for us and resolve the call. Our admins can now sleep at nights and not have to respond to every page with people trying to figure out who is handling the situation.

Pros: Most? There are so many features with pagerduty. I like it only alerts one person on call instead of the old way we use to page people. We use to page everyone on everything. Now it's just the person on call and he doesn't respond it goes to the next person. Very nice setup.

Cons: Scheduling times is a bit difficult for me to grasp, but once you figure it out you only have to set it up once.

Danny F.
Sr. Software Engineer, DevOps
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/11/2019

"An Excellent Service for Orgs with complex alerting needs"

Comments: PagerDuty has met all of our needs to-date. We reassess vendors regularly, and have yet to try someone else.

Pros: PagerDuty has an incredible featureset that spans just about every "on call" use case you could dream up. They highlight new use cases regularly in blog posts and Account Management is pretty solid.

Cons: Pricing is far higher than competitors which makes it a tough pill to swallow with annual billing. There's not much focus on controlling costs and very little leniency on things like prorating user seats if we have a new hire (it appears to be billed as a full month). With the highest price point in the industry, Account Managers usually have leniency to retain customers by avoiding these nickel-and-dime approaches to billing.

James E.
Sr. Systems Engineer
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2019

"The standard in on-call notification"

Comments: I have used pagerduty for years, and I have to say I use it as the gold standard for other notification services. So far, competitors either don't have nearly the same level of features, or cost a fortune.

Pros: Easy to set up. Inexpensive. Reliable. It has a number of integration options for various monitoring systems, and they are always adding more. They also have generic versioned APIs for any custom software you might bring to the table.

Cons: The Mobile app sometimes has issues refreshing when there is a lot of activity.

Stephen B.
Product Manager
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"Necessary for Any Cross Functional Team with Incident Response Duties"

Comments: It has been a great tool for alert and incident management. Easy to setup and flexible. As this has expanded to more teams, it has scaled well. Reliability is a must and it has proven to be very reliable.

Pros: Flexibility in paging options
Integration with other systems
Flexible schedules
Scales well as company grows

Cons: Some menus are confusing and options are sometimes hard to find.
Needs more integration points for third party software.
Manual escalations to other teams not very clear.
Wish all paging numbers were well known in order to add to phone contact list.

Dmytro K.
Cloud Engineer
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2019

"I have no idea how to title my review"

Pros: It solves many of our problems for alerts escalation. I used PagerDuty so far in 3 companies, and it solves many problems.

Cons: Web interface is a bit difficult to use. For example: when editing on call schedules — for each edit there's no way to return to previous screen, always I need to go to the top menu, select menu item, another menu item. It can be quite time consuming.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2019
Sanjiv S.
Senior Database Specialist
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2019

"Great Product & Features --- Helps in coordination and followup of Incidents with ease"

Comments: Great experience. Lone the ease of use and the fact that I could get to my alerts and incidents quick and from virtually from any place.

Pros: The fact that I could get to my alerts and incidents from virtually anywhere, be it when I am working in my office using my machine, or travelling using my phone. I am able to action my incidents and or issues with ease and utmost priority

Cons: I wouldn't say there is a thing I dont like.

Amal S.
devops engineer
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2019

"Best product, new updates are interesting"

Comments: our infrastructure is so sensitive that a small issue will cause high, we onboard all of our sensu alerts to pagerduty (PD). Now we are well aware of the changes happening in our infra and subsequent actions will be taken care

Pros: This product is easy to use and implement

Cons: It we will better if more options are available to add in alert configurations.

Gabriel B.
Head of engineering
Computer Networking, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"PagerDuty helps us keep track of our incidents"

Pros: PagerDuty helps us keep track of our incidents efficiently and saves us money by allowing us to quickly escalate events and respond to emergencies as soon as they occur.

Cons: I have no complaint about PagerDuty, everything works as expected and the customer service is very efficient.

Laura C.
IT Specialist
  • Reviewed on 01/08/2018

"Pager Duty is powerful tool used for production support in a best way."

Pros: Pager Duty consists of quite simple set up. It provides quick alerts for all sorts of incidents. It is integrated with the most common and famous monitoring and technology sites which is considered to be the most interesting feature. This is the straight forward app that works very well. It's feature of text messaging and phone call are equally helpful. Simply by login on call process, one can easily see schedule for all the team workers involved.

Cons: There are not any downsides of this software. One of the issue is setting up escalation levels in the beginning seems to be difficult. While integrating our support, it takes quite long time to make sure whether it is working correctly.

• Reviewed on 01/08/2018
Harmandeep singh S.
Graduate Assistant
Banking, 10,000+ Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018

"Bulletproof Alerting"

Pros: Trustworthy notifications with user configurable channels. I like alerts by text and app, with a phone call backup. I don't know what the other guys on my team have set up.
It has a mobile app You can set it override system volume so you can still hear your alerts even if you forgot to turn the volume up on your device Ability to set how many and how often you are alerted before it ends up escalating to the next person.

Cons: There is some rigidity to the scheduling which has some obvious workarounds that work for us.
Does currently not integrate with Logicmonitor via the API. - Nobody likes getting up at 2 AM.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 18/01/2018
Ad Targeting Production Engineer
Internet
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2018

"I have used pagerduty in my previous assignments. It's really a cool tool and on time."

Pros: Timely alerting and love the pagerduty smartphone app user friendliness.the best part of this app is integration with almost anything. Good work on that.

Cons: Only grieveance I have is they have lot of improvements scope in their support team. I have had a not the best experience whenever I needed technical support.

• Reviewed on 10/01/2018
Dana R.
Systems Administrator
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"Good tool for after-hours calls"

Comments: We use Pagerduty for our after hours emergency on call. It serves its purpose.

Pros: ease of use.
integration into existing systems
uptime and availability

Cons: I do not have any known cons. If i do have a suggestion it would be to make more integration features available for an enterprise edition.

Vijay K.
Software Engineer 3
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2019

"Good oncall management service"

Pros: Easy to use oncall management system. Pagerduty has integrations with major monitoring SAAS and open source tools. Pagerduty product features are easy to understand and less learning curve. You can get your own domain name first half if you are a big enterprise customer.

Cons: Their certain features have limitations such as their Live Call routing only allows single digit dial. They can expand that. Also, their API have some limitations and sometimes to get an object you might have to make 2-3 calls depending on what you want to retrieve through API.

• Reviewed on 29/04/2019
Biswajit D.
SRE
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/11/2019

"Pagerduty is really Helpful"

Comments: Escalation, Monitoring issues/progress, Oncall tasks etc

Pros: Easy to use UI
Performance/Speed/Accuracy

Cons: Probably the Support..But its not bad really.

Canh V.
Software Developer
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2018

"Assigning incidents to right people at right time"

Comments: Help us to respond on time customer incidents. With multiple level responding configuration, we can believe we don't miss any urgent incidents.

Pros: A powerful alerting mechanism helps quickly connect security incidents and outages to right people.
I love the way it is designed to escalate incidents to people at many levels. It guarantees that an incident must be notified to at least a right person.

Cons: In the case where a person answers "Acknowledged", I would like it to have an easier way to temporarily turn off repeated alerts.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2018
Martin W.
Problem and Incident Analyst
Banking, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"Love Pagerduty"

Pros: Calls out our teams when we need them immediately. Never used before I got here and not I think it's great.

Cons: Onboarding for the admins is a little tedious.

Will B.
Customer Support Level 2
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Great for after hour on-call"

Comments: We have multiple API connections with pagerduty and they all work amazingly

Pros: I like how I can set up multiple methods of contact

Cons: Incident grouping could do with some work.

Prakash B.
Architect
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

"PD Review"

Comments: In one word would say, GEART.

Pros: Easy to use.. Nice mobile app with most of the functionalities.

Cons: Don't recollect any.. All looks just okay.

Safdar Q.
SR. Cloud Hosting Engineer
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

"PagerDuty rocks"

Pros: easy of snoozing an alert / putting a maintenance window.

Cons: nothing that comes to mind that I dont like about using pagerduty.

Orlando G.
System admin
Financial Services Software, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2019

"Pager Duty end user review"

Comments: Wonderful product works well for our needs

Pros: customize able notification options and alerts, escalation feature.

Cons: level of detail of the in the error message. lots of useless info than useful not sure if this is Pagerduty but maybe more on our end of the config.

Akarsh P.
Devops
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2019

"Easy to work with"

Pros: We can route and configure as we wish.

Cons: Nothing special, its good for my daily stuff.

• Reviewed on 25/11/2019
Milo P.
Senior Software Engineer
Financial Services Software, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/11/2019

"Simple-to-use, robust incident management"

Pros: I like that it's straightforward to see the things that I most want to see - for instance, when the next time I'm on call is, or the history of each alert. We integrate alerts with third-party services that let us provide custom details, to make diagnosis and action easier. The mobile app also integrates well with Android: I like to keep my phone silent all the time, so the ability to selectively override the volume settings for an alert (and then automatically set them back) is very useful. I also like the ability to fully customize the sequence of alert escalation (for example, "notify my phone, email me if I don't respond in a few minutes, and then call me a few minutes later").

Cons: Some functionality can be hard to find, and a bit unintuitive - for example, if I need to schedule maintenance windows, I usually fall back to a bookmarked url rather than being able to find it from the web UI.

Maurizio M.
IT Infrastructure Manager
Human Resources, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2019

"Easy to setup oncall software!"

Comments: We recently implemented 24/7 IT support and this product has been integral to that support.

Pros: Ease of use
Integrations with our software

Cons: None at this time. Maybe alert intelligence should be offered out of the box

Mohammad A.
Senior devops engineer
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2019

"Pager duty API should be available"

Comments: Na

Pros: it’s easy to use and the UI is great.
Linking pager duty with a lot of tools make it worth using.

Cons: pagerduty API is still in evolving phase which makes it difficult to fully automate.