15 years helping Emirati businesses

About ModMed

Specialty-specific EMA® and gGastro® EHR — via tablet, browser or smartphone — speed documentation and keep the focus on patients.

Learn more about ModMed

Pros:

It has a great user friendly back office EMR system.

Cons:

The EMR and EHR connectivity with their Billing is horrible.

ModMed ratings

4.2
4.0
4.1
3.6

7.6/10

ModMed has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 172 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ModMed before?

Tom
Tom
CEO in US

An EMR that puts the physician and patient first

Pros:

Specialty-specific EMR built that is easy to use and intuitive. Assists with proper ICD-10 coding and use of modifiers. Additional modules for Pathology, Practice Management/Billing, Telemedicine, and MIPS reporting are available as integrated features. A proactive and responsive company that takes provider issues and input seriously.

Cons:

The system is designed around an optimal workflow. As with any EMR, office workflows will need to be updated in order to align with the system's capabilities.

6 years ago

Tom, thank you for taking the time to share your review and for your continued support! -Alex B., Marketing

Wesley
President and Medical Director in US

Mod Med for small office

Pros:

5 years ago, the ipad based methods of creating documentation were cutting edge. Little advancement since. Integration with other software programs. responsiveness to suggestions to change software.

Cons:

Practice management module never worked well for financial integration. Increasingly cumbersome with some errors in coding notes and services. Not very customizable.

2 months ago

We value your feedback, Wesley! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Derek
Ophthalmologist in US
Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

Worst EMR I have ever used

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Horrible. If I go to a practice and this is their EMR I am quitting.

Pros:

When the system works it is very intuitive and can make charting easy. HOWEVER, it crashes at least once per week and leaves our practice crippled as we lose all the patient's information and reasons for the visit.

Cons:

Customer service is non-existent. As I mentioned above the software crashes multiple times per month and you are unable to see anything about the patient (last exam, reason for visit, previous appointments, diagnostic imaging). If you try and call or email you get directed to either an answering service that does not return calls or an email chain that says someone will be in contact soon. This is by far the worst EMR I have ever used.

last month

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to learn about your experience. We are always looking to improve our product experience and your feedback is helpful.

Trent
Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

EMA saves time and makes money

Pros:

The intuitiveness of documentation for providers allows them to not spend as much time on the burdensome of documentation. This allows providers to focus on patient-care instead of administrative work.

Cons:

Sometimes, the rigidness of ModMed requires us to change our workflows instead of changing ModMed to integrate into our workflows.

9 months ago

We value your feedback, Trent! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Brandon

Modernizing Medicine

Comments: Overall our experience has been positive with ModMed. I think part of any new EMR is that they do so much it takes time to really incorporate it all into your practice. So on that end, I think even the things we currently like the least will improve.

Pros:

The software is a whole suite with EMR and practice Management. The two work together nicely. It allows easy scheduling of providers and linking of the visits. It helps drive the physician through their note while ensuring that they are coding their visits properly. It also helps with MIPS and other programs. They also do regular updates to improve the software, which is great.

Cons:

The things that are the least liked are the inability to really fine tune the scheduling. Even though you limit the type of appointments per location or provider, it still providers the schedulers with all options even if they are not able to use them. Also, creating the notes can be a bit cumbersome. I think some more "customization" would be helpful.

Theressa
Theressa

Great product but tricked us into paying $28K extra

Comments: I am having to pay $28K out of my pocket as a result of their verbiage "billing commencement date 120 days from contract date". They are so busy adding new clients on they don't have time to push your training so the long/ short is you have to start paying before they implement. I see no reason why we would be charged for software, patient reminders, efax, coding assistance, prescription writing capabilities, or patient surveys when we literally had zero access to it. I can understand charging a fee for the "sandbox" but we still had no access to the actual software functionality.

Pros:

We love the actual product. Cloud based services are great when you're coming from a local server/ remote situation.

Cons:

Software support has been great but it took somewhere around 6 weeks to get a response from the billing team (handles billing us, the client). The initial contract did not show any of the ancillary items that we very specifically asked about except efax. They also do not include tax on the contract so when budgeting/ making financial decisions to switch this is a bit misleading. We were lead to believe that everything that we could possibly be charged for was included. This was not the case.

Hai-En
Podiatrist in US

Expensive but worth it

Comments: So far so good and our staff has gotten to its functionality.

Pros:

The functionality of the system is way better than our older system and is made specifically for my speciality.

Cons:

The hard part is all the training and the time to do it all which takes away from patient care. It's not the most economical system in terms of pricing.

4 months ago

We value your feedback, Hai-En! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Brian
Used the Software for: Not provided

Comments: I am in a 2 person general dermatology and Mohs surgery practice. I was using a paper chart system prior to switching to EMA in 2011, and now have almost 12000 visits documented in EMA. I always thought that when I left the military and entered private practice 16 years ago, I would adopt an EHR system very soon. I quickly realized that it was not easy to find a system out there that could match the efficiency of the single page progress note with anatomical figures that my practice like many others had been using for years. I set a goal to find an EHR system that would make me more efficient, but still allow the convenience of documenting the visit on an anatomical figure like most dermatologists have done for years. I also wanted to be more accurate and complete with my documentation, and preferably be more productive. Finally, I wanted a system that would allow me to maximize face time with the patient and minimize the drudgery of all the paper work associated with patient care. When I started evaluating EHR systems at different dermatology meetings in 2010 and 2011, I did not see a single system that met any of those goals. Then I stumbled upon the Modernizing Medicine booth at the AAD meeting In New Orleans. There was definitely a lot of interest in the product and I was immediately impressed. Finally, a system that appeared to be designed by a dermatologist with all my goals in mind. I have to admit the implementation was not as easy as I expected. The product was relatively new at the time we began and far from perfect, but it has improved by leaps and bounds - and Modernizing Medicine continues to find ways to improve it regularly. Most of my staff has learned to use EMA very quickly, and brand new employees seem to adapt to EMA faster than they do to a paper chart. I estimate it took 6 months to be reasonably comfortable with the system, but with the improvements made in the program now, I suspect that time could be even less for a new user. The coding feature of the program is I think one of its greatest strengths. I learned more about accurate coding in the first 6 months of using EMA than I had in 15 years of manual coding. The coding feature has not only shown me many areas where I was previously under coding, but has also highlighted visits where I previously may have lacked documentation to justify a code. I always take clinical photos of biopsy sites to help me prepare for future surgery. This program does an excellent job of assigning the photo to the patient's visit with a label almost effortlessly. Filling out a pathology request and all the specimen jar labels use to be a pain in the neck with a paper chart. Now, all the pertinent information is collected from the note and in a few clicks the request and labels are done. Not a single call back from the path lab because they cannot read the path request form since we started EMA. The ultimate goal of an excellent EHR system should be to make us a better doctor by allowing us to spend more time thinking about what is actually wrong with the patient, and to provide us tools to arrive at a diagnosis and treatment more accurately. With the ease of documentation and addition of some of the new features such as VisualDx, EMA is very close to achieving that ultimate goal for me.

Cynthia
President in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

Issues with this rapidly growing company

Comments: I truly am happy with the back office EMR but wish I would have asked around about their PM and appointment reminder systems. These 2 areas need a lot of work and unfortunately the company is not good at client relations. I feel they are not up to the average standard for comparable products in appointment reminders and PM.

Pros:

It has a great user friendly back office EMR system.

Cons:

Their PM service is not good at all. It takes my receptionists and office manager twice the time to input a patient, schedule an appointment, move an appointment, and run routine reports than our previous software. Also, the patient reminder system ( Relatient) is awful. It does not connect in real time to the practice schedule and requires extra work to find out if a patient has cancelled an appointment. This means loss of revenue for the practice. The reminder system is also very redundant and I have had numerous patient complaints over it. The managers in this patient reminder system know there are numerous issues with it but are not allowed to do anything until ModMed approves it which can take weeks. Lastly, even if you want to get out of this portion of the contract, ModMed will not let you. You are forced to pay for it for the full 3 year opt in time even if you no longer use it.

Kim
Accounting in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Needs better billing team

Comments: Worst billing experience ever, you'd think that a company of this size would put in a little bit more effort in their customer service/ billing department.

Pros:

When I reach out to customer service, they are nice but cannot do much in regards to billing questions. They always deter my request to billing department but the wait time for your billing department to get back to me is awful.

Cons:

Mod Meds billing team never answers emails promptly, no direct number for the billing department and we keep getting billed for downgraded services. Response time is longer than 2 weeks and when someone does respond they are less than knowledgeable over our account. Wait time on responses are absurd. Also our invoices portal is not accurate and it doesn't populate all our invoices.

5 months ago

Lisa
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Modernizing Medicine

Comments: Mostly positive but some of the customer support team is not responsive to support tickets.

Pros:

I like that it integrates with most of the products and programs that we use in our practice.

Cons:

The cost of the system and the time it takes to get enhancements approved.

last year

Kallie

Ortho EHR

Comments: Overall experience has been very positive. They are very customer oriented and willing to continue to enhance the client and patient experience.

Pros:

Ease of use, all in-one platform, options for my clinical staff to function on the iPad it wonderful

Cons:

Speed of the product very slow multiple times a week, Analytics, Faxing

last year

We're so happy you're enjoying Kallie; thank you for sharing.

Khalique
Plastic Surgeon in US
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Disappointment in EMR with terrible billing capacity.

Comments: Have had 5 different people for our practice Revenue collection cycle over the past two years and have continued to never meet the expectations promised. The EHR part is good but Revenue cycle management is really something to not get involved. No one follows through with tasks and a new person gets assigned for accounts every 3-5 months.

Pros:

Easy software to use with templates like most EHR, I liked the ease in modifying notes and the IPAD features.

Cons:

The EMR and EHR connectivity with their Billing is horrible.

4 years ago

Hi Dr. Zahir - We appreciate your transparent feedback. I understand that you have been able to meet directly with some of our leadership to help identify the challenges and issues you have expressed and are currently working together to improve the situation. - Angela, VP of RCM Operations

James
General Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Overall great system that only misses on minor features

Comments: EMA has allowed us to cut down on the time that our providers spend entering notes by orders of magnitude over other systems we have tried.

Pros:

Ease of use and functionality. It is only missing a few small features that I think would make things easier. There is no way, for example, for a manager to get ability to view all tasks assigned to all staff members. Only the assigner and assignee can see the task. Additionally, the system does not incorporate "." phrase programming for frequently used phrases.

Cons:

It is expensive. Full licenses are relatively high priced and pricing faxing per fax sent puts that feature out of range for most busy practices, including ours.

5 years ago

Good morning James - Thank you so much for taking the time share your feedback with us and those considering our urology EHR. We will pass along your suggestions as well to our team here. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

LINDA
PRACTICE MANAGER in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

amazing work flow , MIPS usage extremely easy, good customer support

Comments: clear and accurate data to complete a visit with a patient in a timely manner. EMA integrates with our Billing software and make workflow easy daily for staff. The clicks of the system are minimal. From previous EMR's there is no comparison to the function of EMA. Good job to the developers and the continued software updates to improve functionality of the program.

Pros:

Easy work flow and customer service is fabulous. The program allows easy usage of patients visit information and population of MIPS requirements. Pathology reports, consents and much more is very organized and minimal clicks to function.

6 years ago

Good morning, Linda - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review and feedback. We will certainly pass this along to our teams as we love sharing our clients' success stories. We're glad to have you as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! -Alex B., Marketing at Modernizing Medicine

George
Physician in US
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Very cumbersome. Better EMRs out there.

Comments: Looks "pretty" when you first see it, but this program is very cumbersome. Requires multiple mouse clicks for simple tasks. You have click from screen to screen multiple times to complete a chart note. Customer support is horrible. I was locked out of system after hours on a Friday and could not get anyone to help me regain access until Monday. More expensive than other EMRs we looked at including E-Clinical and Epic. In so many words, we have been very disappointed with this system.

Pros:

Physical exams can be customized fairly easily. Otherwise, there are not many positives to this system.

Cons:

Very low, cumbersome, lots of clicking, horrible customer support, more expensive than it appears.

6 years ago

We certainly appreciate you sharing your feedback, as it will help both our team and product to better meet the needs of our clients. Someone from our customer success team will reach out to discuss your experience, or you can reach us at 561-880-2998 x2. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Summary of experience

Comments: Very Unhappy with this company and Be Wary of signing any contracts
with this company. Do not rush into any contract with Modernizing Medicine!!!

Pros:

Has potential for dermatology experience, but very poor experience with the company training experience and the company does not keep their promises. This company treats the small dermatology very poorly.

Cons:

Very poor communication about their contract, because the leaders of this company only care about Modernizing Medicine and their bottom line and they do not work in a fair way with the dermatologist.

Edmund
President in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Modernizing Medicine is the worst part of my medical practice

Comments: Customer service is the absolute worst. They are only concerned with selling software to new users. They stole $3500 out of my automated payment set up with my bank account and still haven’t returned it.

Pros:

Graphics and ability to take photos. Operative note capability has been improving.

Cons:

Frequent downtime and glitches in the software, user unfriendly, many redundant time consuming data entry areas, lack of billing codes and text for common procedures

Larry
Medical Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

EMR for Derm

Comments: I am able to document my interactions with dermatology patients who usually have multiple Chief Complaints and multiple procedures quickly and efficiently

Pros:

Very user friendly and easy to document lesions and their treatment

Cons:

Fairly expensive and ongoing support is not cheap

5 years ago

Hi Dr. Feldman - Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your feedback with others considering our EHR system. Glad to have you and ClearlyDerm as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Erica
ARNP in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

The way EHRs are meant to be

Pros:

Makes chatting a Breeze User friendly, Cuts charting time in half Codes instinctually & will likely get remimbursed

Cons:

Used for Specialist in Gastrointestinal & Dermatology Would love it if a system was available for Internal - Functional Medicine

6 years ago

Hi Erica and thank you so much for your positive feedback and taking the time to share your thoughts. We're so glad to hear about your positive experience! Our EHR system currently serves dermatology, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, otolaryngology, pain management, plastic surgery and urology practices, as well as ambulatory surgery centers. Have a great week! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Andrew
Medical Practice
Used the Software for: Not provided

EMA as a great tool for a multi-location dermatology group.

Pros:

EMA provides a very thorough set of tools with which to chart and track patient visits for Dermatology. It is visually pleasing, robust, easy to teach, and easy to navigate for Doctors and Staff alike. We have found that the software is able to document both routine and unusual visits with similar ease. Great features like "stickiness" make routine tasks increasingly simpler overtime. As a company, EMA offers better than average support for routine problems, usually striving to fix issues quickly after being notified. The software is robust and seldom has availability or speed problems. Constant updates demonstrate Modernizing Medicine's commitment to keeping the software relevant and current, as well as increasing its functionality. Overall, it has been a great tool to support our Medical staff in treating and managing patients. We spent extra time and money to link EMA to our LIS and to our PM systems, and that has provided both great efficiency and higher quality data consistency (meaning less mistakes).

Cons:

Because the software is web-based and centralized, it is not always suitable to unique needs or special requests of any specific practice. That said, most of our needs have been addressed within the software.

Michele
Director of Business Process in US
Medical Practice, 501–1,000 Employees

Life changing

Pros:

Ease of documentation, consistencies for standardization, customization options, ease of workflows and maneuvering through the patients chart

Cons:

Lack of ASC capabilities....for now. Downtime issues or plan/protocol breaks when an upgrade is pushed

6 years ago

Hi Michelle! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and glad you have found documentation in our EMR easy to use.

Linda
Used the Software for: Not provided

Comments: Before going to the training in Florida, I was skeptical if there could actually be a dermatology compatible EMR. Our small practice (1 doctor and 2 medical assistants) was moving locations and starting fresh after using only paper charts. The 2 medical assistants do everything from patient check in, scribing for the doctor, assisting in procedures, answering phones, check out, and billing. We needed a software that would help, not hinder, our office flow. We have been pleasantly surprised over and over again! Here is why we love EMA and the company that brings it to us. EMA has been developed and continues to be improved by people who use it. This translates into easy-to-use software that works in the real world. Our staff have different comfort levels with computers, but all of us have been able to use EMA proficiently in a short amount of time. EMA makes caring for our patients easier. EMA saves time, freeing us to do the most important thing, taking care of our patients. We often take credit when our patients say “this office is like a well-oiled machine”, even though much of our efficiency is due to EMA. When we have a question or a suggestion, the support team at Modernizing Medicine responds quickly. The suggestion process is easy and our suggestions are taken seriously. The improvements that are made are consistently an improvement. Their staff is professional, knowledgeable, and refreshingly kind. I am not someone who likes change, but when it comes to EMA, if something is changing, it means it is only getting better.

Sarah
Practice Manager in US

Great Product

Pros:

user friendly , good support & robust functionality

Cons:

not enough information with new updates

5 years ago

Hi Sarah - Thank you for taking time to leave a review and sharing your feedback. I wanted to share that modmed Central is a great resource where you can access information on product updates and more. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Crystal
Billing Spec in US

Our company has been using EMA since 2012 and it has grown since

Pros:

Ease of use of the software, also the company always has webinars for new improvements that come out quarterly.

Cons:

sometimes the whole server may go down and take longer than expected to come back up. This takes time away from the company to put in charges .