• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.1 /5

About Brightspace

Our powerful and flexible learning platform helps drive better learning outcomes by offering a highly personalized, digital experience.

Learn more about Brightspace

Showing 25 reviews of 155

Melissa E.
Adjunct Professor
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"Best used for online courses"

Comments: I have not had any problems using Brightspace or D2L. I think the user interface is easy to learn and it is easy to find where I need to be to make assignments, grade submissions, and more. The system allows you to work as the administrator/faculty/teacher/instructor/ but also allows you to switch to the student view, which enables you to see what your students will see. I like that feature! It is extremely easy to upload files and images and adding hyperlinks is also a breeze, allowing you to choose the new window to open within the course or on a separate page. Even when they update the software, I find it very easy to learn the new applications. I have used a few other systems in the past and I really do like Brightspace and D2L over the others.

Pros: I found this software very easy to use and pretty intuitive. It is fresh looking on the screen and I've not had any issues with the system not working as it should.

Cons: There are a few extra clicks that have to take place in some parts of the software to get back to where you want to be. That is somewhat annoying, but a minor issue.

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
Michael A.
Assistant Professor
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2019

"High Functionality, Low Intuitiveness"

Comments: As one of many different Learning Management Systems on the market, Brightspace foots the bill as a solid platform that is student- and instructor-friendly. The layout is self-explanatory, and the default settings are appealing to many users. The ability to customize course elements, while being able to make use of embedded tools, such as calendars and rubric designers, makes this learning environment a safe bet for prospective clients. As an instructor, I do find some processes to be a bit convoluted and unintuitive. For instance, assigning grade values and having these numbers populate in the grade book can be cumbersome. In addition, grading and publishing grades can be tricky if the correct options are unselected. Overall, Brightspace presents an aesthetically appealing and functional product that has its own quirks, while boasting a host of benefits.

Pros: Numerous design and layout options
Embedded templates for rubrics and assignments

Cons: Some functionality is not intuitive in nature

• Reviewed on 28/07/2019
Rose J.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2015

"No more paper!"

Pros: I like that I've been able to do away with collecting paper in most of my courses. I am also able to easily arrange course materials for my students to access. Depending on your course, the original setup can be intense, but it is very easy to copy the course over for a new semester of a different section. I enjoy being able to post grades and attendance in D2L. I love that I can grade a quiz by question. Sometimes, I need to only look at one question.

Cons: There can be some misleading language such as "locked" on the calendar list next to a discussion assignment. Students see this as meaning that they cannot access the activity. But what it really means is that there is a period of time for which the assignment will be locked. It doesn't necessarily mean that the assignment can't be accessed at that time. I get lots of questions about this. I still find the grade calculating tool is not as robust as I need it to be.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2015
Instructor
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2019

"Course Building and Grading with D2L"

Comments: Overall, D2L Brightspace is relatively easy to use and robust. It's not always intuitive, but that seems to be the case with all LMS I've used.

Pros: I use D2L, Moodle, and Blackboard in my multiple jobs. D2L is the most visually attractive of these, and the "drag and drop" functionality of course building makes things much easier than in Blackboard, for example.

Cons: When grading, I wish the rubrics appeared in the margin of same tab as the assignment, rather than a separate pop-up window, though this is already an improvement from earlier iterations.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2019
Carol H.
Adjunct Instructor and Course Creator
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/01/2019

"Am I using all of the features?"

Comments: So far, so good, except the idea of "bumping around in the dark" until you find your way is unnecessary. Webinars are needed!

Pros: This LMS is an upgrade from Sakai. The overall platform is more aesthetically pleasing. Some added features like uploading of video and student-teacher interaction capacity. Grading interface is more professional and user-friendly; before you had to cut and paste, now the rubrics are embedded.

Cons: I've been using it for almost two years and am only now discovering features. The company should provide schools with a new user training webinar or course. I feel that there are so many untapped resources.

• Reviewed on 23/01/2019
Neal C.
Teacher
Higher Education
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2018

"Easy to use content and record keeping software for educational institutions."

Comments: Use it for posting assignments, content resources and grades for students in a Mathematics class. Sometimes even use it for grading.

Pros: The everything in one place aspect of it. This means fewer different logins and software platforms to keep up with, which means more focus on things that matter.

Cons: Occasionally there is maintenance that prevents logins, but it is usually announced in plenty of time to make arrangements for alternatives. And they do try to make it happen during off-peak hours.

• Reviewed on 08/02/2018
Nathan W.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 09/03/2015

"Good experience with D2L as our ILP (LMS)"

Pros: D2L is doing a great job of integrating modern technologies into their ILP (LMS). They are adding collaborative tools, video capturing tools, and multimedia interfaces very well. I've been an administrator of this LMS for about 3 years now and have been very impressed with the improvements each year.

Cons: It's hard to say. I guess with any technology, there are periodic problems. We felt like we were almost beta testers when we switched to 10.1, and we reported many bugs. I think also, the help desk folks are nice, but the turn-around time to get tickets resolved can linger onwards of a month or so.

• Reviewed on 09/03/2015
Business Analyst
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"The Right LMS for Our Environment"

Comments: I mostly encounter the platform when working a project seeking to integrate with the product. To this point, I haven't been limited much on what I can do from an ETL or integration perspective.

Pros: Brightspace offers a clean UI and flexibility to meet our LMS needs. Our faculty and student body enjoy using it daily to manage course activities. Our staff like the openness of the platform for implementing new integrations and working with data.

Cons: We've had significant issues with the vendor-provided API in the past. We push grades from Brightspace to our SIS to populate student transcripts. When the API stopped working, it left us in a tight spot. Thankfully, the newer API seems more reliable.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019
Laurie D.
instructor
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2015

"All my classes are conducted through this platform."

Pros: I like the ease of use for instructors and for students. It eliminates paper shuffling back and forth. Students/instructors can see grades at any time, including current average. It makes my job so much easier.

Cons: Mass editing of all tools is not always available to me. There are really only minor adjustments that could be made. In the earlier version, I could examine the class as a whole to see if particular items had been viewed/accomplished. Now I have to do this on an individual basis and this proves to be time-consuming.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2015
Lacey G.
Chemist
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2019

"Awesome Software"

Pros: Very user friendly format. I love using this. Everything is very organized and makes sense.

Cons: Nothing! The software does not glitch. It is very fast.

• Reviewed on 24/01/2019
Eva O.
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2015

"Freshman Seminar"

Pros: I use the content, news items, grade, attendance, and class list for e-mails the most. I like that I am able to post items students will need throughout the semester, stay in contact with them, and D2L allows personal responsibility for grades and attendance.

Cons: I wish that when using the e-mail-classlist - it would show the entire thread and also that it was compatible with MyMTC. It would be more user-friendly for both the students and faculty.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2015
Christine G.
Instructional Technician
  • Reviewed on 29/02/2020

"Course Materials and Collaboration In One Place"

Comments: My overall experience with Brightspace is positive, as it gives me a self contained learning space, and it always functions technically as it should.

Pros: I have taken 2 higher learning courses online using Brightspace. I like that course materials, discussion boards, assignment submission and grading/feedback are all included.

Cons: I find it difficult to navigate sometimes, as the user interface is confusing. There is so much text on the landing page, I would prefer to see buttons that take me to the portions I need, and a "back to main page" button for convenience.

• Reviewed on 29/02/2020
Lamar Y.
Online College - Training and Technical Support
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2016

"Great learning system"

Comments: What an easy platform to use. I have used 4 different ILP's over the years and I have to say this one has to be the best and easiest to use. Brightspace was very helpful when we had to convert from our old system to theirs. Out entire campus uses the product and we have been very please with the product.

Pros: Ease of use for faculty and students. Third-party platforms work well with the system and good apps available for faculty and students. Customer/Technical support is second to none. Every time I call I get a great technician on the phone who quickly addresses my needs.

Cons: Other than the system being a little pricey I really do not have anything negative to say. Overall good system.

• Reviewed on 21/04/2016
Mary W.
Music instructor and secretary
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2018

"Decent learning platform."

Pros: I took most of my master's level courses using this platform. After learning to navigate it, I became very familiar with it, and it was a decent platform for the professors to present material on. I liked how it would show notifications for discussion posts (particularly when someone would reply to something you had written). Also, it would alert you when a professor had submitted a grade for an assignment. These are great features that other learning platforms do not have, and I most definitely miss them when using those platforms.

Cons: It was not a very clean way to present material. It was a little cumbersome at times, took a lot of "getting used to," and was missing some features that would have been helpful that I had experienced on other platforms.

• Reviewed on 28/08/2018
Eugenio C.
Profesor
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2020

"University point of view"

Comments: It is a very complete and complex platform. Some universities with the appropiate IT department could be able to use it but if they have that department they will create their own platform.

Pros: The support, virtual events and advertising.

Cons: The IT support, video tutorials about features teacher or students use everyday. Features other platforms have very easy to implement.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2020
Student
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2019

"Brightspace Review"

Comments: Online learning and this software is important because of it's functionality for new students.

Pros: As a first time, online user, this software was very easy to use and navigate. This online learning program helped me because everything was located in one place and I did not have to change my daily schedule since everything was online. It is very neat and clean and pleasing to look at.

Cons: It is hard to get in contact with people in the beginning until you get used to the software. The messaging and email system has to be connected to your student email sometimes, and sometimes you just have to try to send a private message.

• Reviewed on 21/08/2019
Amanda P.
Adjunct Instructor
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2018

"Easy to Learn and Use"

Comments: It’s a great way to keep all my class content in one space

Pros: I liked its ease of use. We use it at the school where I work, and when I first started there, it took me no time at all to figure out!

Cons: Really, I can’t think of any major cons. Even when it goes down, they get it fixed right away.

• Reviewed on 15/11/2018
Elaine M.
Faculty
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2015

"Brightspace 101 Review"

Pros: They have good support. It's a very stable system that is easy to use and user-friendly.

Cons: The things I like the least are the ability to create a news item and have it populate into several courses at once, and the ability to tie a discussion posting to a grade.

• Reviewed on 12/03/2015
James B.
Student
Philanthropy, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2018

"Student Review"

Comments: SNHU rolled this out over Christmas break 2017/2018 and provided a 30 min webinar for students. Although the webinar was instructive, the rollout seemed slightly different that the original student instructional. I read older articles and blog posts regarding the RFP that lead to BrightSpace and it didn't sound like the tech dept at SNHU was asking the right questions. I hear time and again how much the staff like it, but have yet to read how students were engaged in the process, which befuddles me.

Pros: Slick student facing design, seems to be many options for instructors to utilize the functions they're familar with, or those they find value for their courses but...

Cons: Too many rabbit holes to go down, too many dead-ends that seem to not have tied ends. Not very intuitive, as a student, too many way to get an end result, resulting in a steeper learning curve and longer timeframe to develop a standard operating procedure.
Instructors are asking me to finish previous weeks work, but failing to unlock the content so I can proceed because of their learning curve. Dislike the linked textbook content, and the ability for instructors to force the work, one way.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2018
Angela C.
5th grade teacher
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2019

"Much like Canvas, not as user-intuitive as others"

Comments: This platform is one of the platforms I use on a regular basis for non face-to-face classes. I have found that training new users is crucial.

Pros: I like that setting up classes, shells, and assignments with this software is extremely easy and that it mimics Canvas to a degree, offering prior knowledge to many when using this platform.

Cons: I haven't found this software as easy for end-users to use as others in learning management. I have had students complain about not being able to find courses, old courses staying within their menus when completed, etc., and just not knowing how to start. With this software, I have had to provide more training to students and teams as where to find materials and how to manage it than with others.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2019
Lance Y.
Instructor
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2015

"I have used the product to teach online"

Pros: Ease of use for faculty. Good training helped me understand the product much better.

Cons: It almost seems like there are too many options or tools.

• Reviewed on 31/03/2015
Lindsay G.
Now a Simulation Technician Coordinator, I adjunct taught for four years prior.
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2015

"Review of D2L/Brightspace"

Pros: I like how easy it is to organize content. I like the updated look of Brightspace vs D2L. I like how easy it is to import & export content. I liked that everything was in one place for the students when I taught. Now I use Brightspace for an orientation to the simulation center. It is a great resource for faculty and students alike to be able to review material.

Cons: The grade book can be a little awkward to set up to get exactly how I want it. Also would like the ability to easly add bonus questions to tests, to give the student the ability to earn over 100% on a test.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2015
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2018

"College User"

Pros: The best part about brightspace is the class progress tool which allows me to monitor the grades I've received. This has provided me with a much better understanding of how I'm doing in the class overall.

Cons: Its a bit confusing at first and often times sends me too many emails confirming a submission of an assignment

• Reviewed on 19/03/2018
Melanie D.
Recruiter
Staffing & Recruiting, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2020

"Great Product, easy to use"

Comments: Overall using this software was a great experience. It was easy to figure out and accomplish all needed tasks.

Pros: I like that the software allows for customization within the teaching module pages. This way there can be a combination of text and videos. The quiz feature is also very useful. I like that it can be set so that the user cannot see the answers and know what they got wrong.

Cons: As a user, I did not like that the pages took so long to load (could have also been my internet connection). This made it difficult to switch back and forth while taking a quiz. Also sometimes there is a delay in updating when a task has been completed so I had to refresh the page a few times.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2020
Erin T.
College and Career Advisor
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2019

"Not so simple for the user"

Pros: I like that after you begin using it, it saves everything and is easy to read.

Cons: I work with dual credit students and many of them find this software confusing. We often have to call customer support due to missing class work, etc.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2019