Filter by:

• Overall
  • Customer Service Software

About Asana

Asana is the easiest way to organize and manage all of your team's work. See why 9,000+ customers give Asana 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Learn more about Asana

Showing 9,946 reviews

CFO
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/07/2021

"Literally the most important product that we use at work!"

Comments: Asana has been a game-changer to our organization. It has helped our team grow in the way we work together, it makes sure that everything gets done, it helps with flow management, and best of all, it helps us track even simple ideas that come to us out of nowhere to tackle later one. Nothing gets missed

Pros: There is so much I love about this software that it is hard to put it together into one review. By far the best part about this is how it helps to facilitate collaboration from every angle - idea generation, project completion, etc.

Cons: Would love more variety in templates, especially for things that don't specifically function the best as tasks.

Alternatives Considered: Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Asana: Our current solution just became too cumbersome when projects started to get complicated and needed details, attachments, and dependencies.

Switched From: Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Asana had all of the features (or maybe more) than any of the competitors but the pricing was way better and the UX was just completely intuitive. There was also a great opportunity to try everything out under the free plan until we were ready to upgrade.

• Reviewed on 08/07/2021
Michael C.
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2021

"Asana is my ABSOLUTE GO TO for task and project management"

Comments: I switched from Trello to Asana and I truly enjoy using Asana almost because I feel there is a gamification feeling in getting my daily wins accomplished. I literally look at Asana at least 5 times per day and almost always before I end my day to see what my plan of action will be for tomorrow.

Pros: The fact that I can manage my daily tasks seamlessly both on my desktop computer and on my iPhone mobile application.

Cons: Sometimes the copy and paste function doesn't work as I would like it to to take a similar task, copy it and then modify it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Alternatives Considered: Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Asana: To be honest, Trello was having a server issue one day and I was locked out from seeing my tasks and I felt lost that day. I immediately switched to Asana which I had also used in the past but it wasn't yet my main daily task manager.

Switched From: Trello

Reasons for Switching to Asana: I really like the layout of the tasks management section both on the web browser and the Mobile application. Mainly I like the tasks being organized in a vertical fashion in Asana as opposed to the card fashion in Trello which I didn't like as much.

• Reviewed on 08/04/2021
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/03/2021

"Asana is the Way to Organization"

Comments: Asana is a best-in-class product. They constantly update it and make improvements and provide tons of value whether you're a free or paying customer.

Pros: -Fantastic UI
-Quick and easy to learn
-Simple but powerful
-Love the Kanban boards
-Love the ability to nest sub-tasks into main-tasks as well as subtasks in other subtasks.

Cons: The one thing I don't like is the inability to see all of my assigned tasks across all of my different Asana boards.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Project, Jira, and Zoho Projects

Reasons for Choosing Asana: Asana was a better fit for us than the project management software we used before. It's much more intuitive and extraordinarily powerful. It keeps our small team very productive.

Switched From: Confluence

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Asana is the best-in-class product compared to the alternatives. While Jira is excellent for development teams, Asana does work well for our engineers, despite lacking some software-development specific features. Also, Gitlab offers a great free integration with Asana for tracking git repos updates.

• Reviewed on 23/03/2021
Arslan U.
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2021

"Asana- one of the best and simplest Task managment tools"

Comments: Overall experience with asana is quite satisfactory as it delivers what it promises. I use it alongside other tools to manage daily tasks and project-related works. Its to-do list-like approach gives an easier way to create tasks and manage them easily. You just keep a tab open for it and keep on marking complete the tasks you have accomplished. It's that simple.

Pros: The most beautiful and user-friendly thing in asana is its to-do list-like approach for managing tasks in each project. the whole project or a particular task out of it can be assigned to other users and team members. Another incredible thing is that you can divide a task into further sub-tasks to make it easier to use and track task progress.

Cons: It goes toe to toe with Trello's similar set of tools. Trello card-like approach comes in handy in viewing all the tasks at hand in a glimpse as well as giving the ability to manage task queues. You can transfer tasks from one card to another. It also doesn't have enough tools for cost and time tracking for wages etc calculation.

Alternatives Considered: Trello

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Asana has a simple to-do list-like interface that makes it easier to create tasks on the go as well as mark them complete when done. No need to fill quite long forms for creating tasks. But it gives the ability to use extra fields in case you need those.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2021
Scott S.
Assistant Director of Operations
Higher Education Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2020

"Keeping the Team on Task"

Comments: Outstanding. My primary goal using Asana was to replace the traditional procedure manual with something more robust and dynamic. The ability to schedule, repeat, and assign tasks means I complete and and forget it and until I'm reminded on the next cycle. Everything I need is contained in the project.

Pros: Easy to enter data and uploading of attachment to tasks. Very much appreciate the ability to have a conversation about the task in the task and not fill up my email. Customizable fields are a huge plus because I can track details and progress in a manner that meets my work style. Like the ability to drag and drop and colorize different things to make spotting what I'm looking for easier.

Cons: Although you can add followers to tasks, inability to assign multiple team members to the same task without duplicating the tasks is frustrating. There several small user interface things I would improve about Asana. I wish the project list could own the entire left hand column instead of sharing with with other high level functions. Those could be moved to the top. Having to click "Show more Projects" to view the whole list is unnecessary.

Alternatives Considered: monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Asana: We were already using the free version and had loaded up lots of information into the system. Switching to a different system with minimal differences would not be worth it. Different systems work differently, but they all accomplish roughly the same tasks. No significant benefits would be gained from making the change.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2020
Technical Account Manager
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2020

"Asana is my favorite Kanban Product"

Comments: I personally have had a dandy time with the product and would use it over Trello any day of the week. I think that the team has a great dev schedule and constantly improve the product and entire platform, clean up tech debt and make older services faster. The API docs can use some work but it is not a huge deal once you get used to them. I would tell anyone looking for a pro-featured Kanban setup to use Asana time and time again. Hands down my favorite and I have used a ton of them.

Pros: Asana gives you the tools to customize and even a great APi to leverage data from Asana into your own tools. Nothing can beat that. Yes it costs money, but you are getting a tool set that is worth the price. If you are looking for something cheap, this is not for you because you would not use all the features anyway.

Cons: Asana has a learning curve but has good docs to support you. The custom data aggregation or getting data OUT of the tool is hard, but again, can be done. I had issues that were solved by customer support. Just be ready for some additional time if you plan to write a custom app that uses the API

Alternatives Considered: Trello

Reasons for Choosing Asana: Atlassian has taken over the space and made all their products the same. They need to chill out and not take over the space and make a monopoly out of these services.

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Better support and better API - Atlassian has more downtime then they know what to do with.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2020
Shashank P.
Shashank P.
Digital Marketing Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2020

"Easiest Way to Manage Your Team Work and Tasks Handling"

Comments: We have many promoting enactments spread over different time spans and over numerous brands we own. Having the option to arrange the entirety of this successfully and keep everybody on time has been a huge assistance and has spared us endless long stretches of time. We utilize this apparatus day by day to keep everybody on target, and I was unable to be more joyful with the outcomes. We have seen an improvement in announcing guidelines since we began utilizing Asana. Colleagues are straightforward and it is anything but difficult to see everything and help those that are having difficulties finishing ventures.

Pros: It's anything but difficult to actualize and to installed new clients. The interface is alluring and instinctive. New highlights are showing up at regular intervals - the as of late included Portfolio/Workload include is splendid. Presently I get the Gantts I have to screen my group's remaining task at hand and our numerous undertakings. Incredible labeling and search capacities make it exceptionally easy to monitor our horde promoting enactments and all their related expectations. Including subtasks and including teammates errands makes it extremely simple to monitor who needs to do what and by when. Different perspectives like records, schedules, and kanban sheets make it open to everybody in the group who thinks and cycles data in an unexpected way. The UX is perfect and basic, and the 'my undertakings' and 'inbox' highlights help us all monitor what's going on in our allocated zones.

Cons: The main con I have is that there is fairly a lofty expectation to absorb information for a portion of the further developed highlights, and there's some genuine reasoning and truly difficult work needed to get everything spread out and composed in the device and afterward get everybody onboarded. Be that as it may, I think this is likely going to be the situation with any group embracing a task the executives instrument. Despite the fact that it gives the choice to make sure about archives and information from altering by empowering the remark just element, it doesn't limit survey of the information of which it is a component they can add to ensure there is choice on who can see information among the colleagues.

• Reviewed on 21/10/2020
Rachel S.
Executive Administrator
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2020

"This is your new (improved) pile of sticky notes"

Comments: Love Asana and how it's improved our organization and functionality, especially with a completely remote team working together across timezones.

Pros: LOVE being able to label, sort, prioritize, date, assign, attach files to items, create sub lists, and so much more to organize multiple complex projects with a team. Especially helpful when everyone works remotely! Helps you keep your brain free for problem solving, processing, conversations, and dreaming rather than trying to hold deadlines and details and project flows at the same time. Your team will communicate more efficiently with notifications. LOVE IT!

Cons: It can be a little complex to get the hang of, but for basic use it's a pretty simple learning curve. Getting into timelines, sub lists, etc takes a little work, but is totally worth it. The other caveat is that you have to commit actually using it all the time to keep it updated and accurate. Again, totally worth it.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2020
Benjamin W.
Developer
  • Reviewed on 02/08/2020

"Asana Makes Projects Easy"

Comments: Using Asana has been simple and effective. It has been very easy to manage the day to day, mid range & long term tasks that I need to stay on top of. Asana's user-friendly & intuitive interface has made it a welcome addition to my workflow management!

Pros: The thing I like most about Asana is the ease with which you can update a task. Asana has a very simple & intuitive interface. It was very easy to update the tasks, create new tasks, make notes, etc., all from the home screen.

Cons: I have been using the free version, so not all features are available to me. I would like be able to create multiple projects, but I think that is available in the paid version. For now, and for what I've been using the program to assist with, I don't have any cons about Asana.

Alternatives Considered: Todoist

Reasons for Choosing Asana: The last task manager I used was Todoist, but I hadn't used it for some time. I had a friend recommend Asana to me, and he gave me a tour of the product. After that it was easy. Asana was the choice for me!

Switched From: Todoist

Reasons for Switching to Asana: I liked the user interface and the ability to quickly update tasks. Plus I had used the paid version and it seemed all the same features were available on the free version of Asana, so I made the switch. To me, if I upgrade to the paid version, it DEFINITELY seems more powerful than Todoist.

• Reviewed on 02/08/2020
Chase H.
Creative Brand Director
Retail, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/07/2020

"A god-send for getting us organized"

Comments: We have a lot of different marketing activations spread over various time periods and across multiple brands we own. Being able to organize all of this effectively and keep everyone on schedule has been a tremendous help and has saved us countless hours of time. We use this tool daily to keep everyone on track, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Pros: Powerful tagging and search functions make it very simple to keep track of our myriad marketing activations and all their associated deliverables. Adding subtasks and including collaborators on tasks makes it very easy to keep track of who needs to do what and by when. Various views like lists, calendars, and kanban boards make it accessible to everyone on the team who thinks and processes information differently. The UX is clean and simple, and the 'my tasks' and 'inbox' features help us all keep track of what's happening in our assigned areas.

Cons: The only con I have is that there is somewhat of a steep learning curve for some of the more advanced features, and there's some serious thinking and heavy lifting required to get everything laid out and organized in the tool and then get everyone onboarded. However, I think this is likely going to be the case with any team adopting a project management tool.

Alternatives Considered: ClickUp, Trello, and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Asana: We switched from Airtable because it's project management features were not as robust as we needed.

Switched From: Airtable

Reasons for Switching to Asana: We chose Asana over the alternatives due to the breadth of features, comparative ease of use, and better pricing.

• Reviewed on 09/07/2020
Executive Assistant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2020

"Only one issue...."

Comments: Overall I have had a great experience. I rarely need support so not really sure what to say there. The one thing I did ask for (working with Google Aliases) they refused to do, so I guess if you are good with their program as is, you will be fine. Just don't expect them to go above and beyond to work with you.

Pros: I have been using Asana since 2013 and have taken it with me to each job I have had since. I love the adaptability of the program. I'm able to use it as a daily task list and can use it to manage a team and a project. They have a lot of ready-made templates that you can use, or you can create your own to use repeatedly like for a board meeting or other projects that have the same tasks each time. I constantly am recommending it to other Executive Assistants as it tends to play well with most programs.

Cons: The main complaint I have is that it does not work with Google Aliases. So if your company has a main address, but uses aliases for different departments it will not recognize the alias which means you can't email the project or tasks in Asana.
It's not a deal-breaker, but it is a hassle. I've seen many complaints about this but Asana is deaf to them and refuses to correct this. That leads to the arrogance that tends to come through for items like this and attitudes towards religious non-profits, I find it rather sad as it is a really good program, but they are comfortable with it and not willing to help...

Alternatives Considered: Smartsheet and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Initially, because we thought we could work around the alias issue. It finally became enough of an issue that we moved to Smartsheet for company-wide projects, but continue using asana for small teams or daily tasks.

• Reviewed on 24/06/2020
Marcelo V.
Agile Coach
Financial Services Software, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2020

"My Asana Review (Brasilcap)"

Comments: I am happy with it overall, but then i am a heavy user. I see that other team members take sometime to assimilate its potential and value

Pros: Once you know where to go, it's show great use on promoting transparency and team collaboration

Cons: Lack of reports Scrum/Kanban likes. A Query engine would be superb. I use these at Jira and helps a lot. Also some constraints vallidation, configuration/confirmation os necessary fields, things like that

Alternatives Considered: Jira and Pipefy

Reasons for Choosing Asana: Asana is more lightweight and has better communication tools

Switched From: VivifyScrum

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Jira was our first option, but as we were all begninning our Digital Transformation Journey at the Time. It bacame a concensus that JIRA was way to complex for that moment not to mention it was double the price too. Asana was ease to use right from the start, with little configuration, and it proved so after a while using it

• Reviewed on 22/06/2020
Laura A.
Research Coordinator
Research, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2020

"Excellent for professional AND personal use"

Comments: When I started with my company a little more than a year ago, we knew we needed to find ways to streamline our workflows and keep everyone on the same page. I found Asana and it was a near-perfect fit. It has taken a bit to get everyone on-board with the software because it was different than how they've worked before, but we're rolling along now.
We wish there was a bit more flexibility with certain built-in features like the progress reports, but overall, as a small research company, it's really helping us work together.

Pros: I'm with a very small company, but we still find Asana helpful for keeping up to date with everyone's tasks. Comments, progress reports, and the ability to connect tasks with dependencies allow us to function as a team, tagging in and out of a project as needed, without missing a beat.

Cons: There is a learning curve for those that are more inclined towards pen/paper lists, which has made implementation a little bumpy. Also we find that because certain things are built-in (like project statuses), we can't always capture precisely where we're at. For instance, there isn't a way to indicate in progress reports that something is "On hold".

Alternatives Considered: Slack

Reasons for Switching to Asana: We tried a few different tools, but Asana is what stuck for us. It made the most sense for our needs (communication, seeing projects at a glance, ability to trade off tasks, etc)

• Reviewed on 19/06/2020
Sarah F.
Graphic Designer
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2020

"Highly recommend Asana"

Comments: Overall, I love my experience with Asana. The software is so simple to navigate, it makes my work life a lot easier control.

Pros: I love how easy this software is to navigate. Due to the clean and simplified design, I can "add/create a task" with the click of a button. It gives me the options to add a project title, project description, due date and even categorize the assignment. As a Graphic Designer, each design project falls in various categories, and it is extremely helpful to be able to label each one. I also love how easy it is to add people to your account, and not only be able to assign or pass projects along to them, but to be able to view their project lists as well. Lastly, it only took a few minutes to have someone explain to me how to navigate the software, which is not only wonderful, but time efficient.

Cons: I would love if there could be a feature where you can instant chat your friends. With that chat box, we could easily talk about project details, etc, instead of having to open up a separate browser to write out an email. I believe having a chat box would allow more direct and faster communication.

by Asana on 10/06/2020

Hi Sarah, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It means so much when our customers share their experiences. I'm glad we were able to meet your expectations!

We'd love to hear more about what features you'd like to see implemented in Asana. If you have a moment feel free to join us in our community forum (forum.asana.com) to upvote an existing feature request or create a new one! And if you have any question or if we can help with anything please let us know!

• Reviewed on 28/04/2020
Gabriel E.
Business Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"Best way to coordinate work between agile teams"

Comments: Asana is one of those tools you can't live without when you add it to your workflow. It offers great capabilities to coordinate people and leave all decisions made about a topic in the same place. If everybody in your organization is using it, you can really leverage its power. Its beauty relays in its simplicity, you can't make fancy things such as track progress of a big project distributed between several teams, but you can use your imagination to go over these issues. The API will give you all the flexibility you need if you know how to code.

Pros: - The ease of use of Asana is one of the best out there no matter the product. It's so easy to start creating task and discover what can you do with them it easily adjusts to your work flows, specially if you work with lots of people.
- Everybody can edit tasks, this allows to use Asana as a hub for communicating everything related to a topic, tagging tasks and mentioning people so they get notified.
- Hotkeys, I hate going back and forth between the keyboard and mouse (hate using touchpad), Asana provides hotkeys for almost everything you need to do, tab will be your magic key.

Cons: Poor reporting. I work in agile projects and would like to see BurnUps and burn downs, be able to define sprints and reporting associated to the big picture. To do so, you have to manually create projects that act as sprints, you end up with lots of projects and lose the big picture. On the bright side, it provides an API, so I connected to it, and using tags I was able to create customized reporting. Expensive, its cost compare to world-class project management solutions, like Jira. I believe it's worth the money, but as a small company we couldn't afford it. (this was a year ago, before starting at Globant)

Alternatives Considered: Jira

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Freemium model of Asana allowed my entire company (over 20 people) to work on the same tool without paying a cent. Its simplicity allowed everybody to use it, so change management would be a breeze (and it was).

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020
Jillian S.
Vice President - Campaign Operations
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Best Project Management Platform"

Comments: My team manages Marketing Campaigns and Design Projects with Asana - we did a trial with Monday.com and ended up staying with Asana because of the over all features and capability of the platform along with ease of daily use...Asana is by far the most user friendly task management platform available!

Pros: I have recently optimized my team Asana usage by increasing the number of projects they can manage on their own in addition to Admin view / reporting...these optimizations were a GAME CHANGER for me as the administrator and manager of up to 15 Asana users. It takes a bit if playing around with features but everyday my team is becoming more efficient through their Asana project and task management.

Cons: The only thing that could have swayed me to rate this platform a full 10/10 would be the Customer Support. There is no "live chat" feature with Asana which makes it incredibly difficult and TIME CONSUMING for the clients to research and dig around the articles and forums to find answers for them selves. I'm a millennial and do a ton of research before I get to the point of frustration in not finding what I need so it takes A LOT for me to seek out a response from support. My answers are not easily found and I spent about 3 weeks trying to figure features out on my own - "live chat" with support would get this to 10/10.

Alternatives Considered: monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Monday.com had WAY too many features - it was chaotic! Asana has a clean interface that makes it really user friendly and the Admin view has improved immensely over the last few years making it much simpler to manage my team.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
Filipe F.
Filipe F.
Delevoper
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2020

"Asana review"

Comments: Asana is the best way to organize my work and share project status with clients
Easy to use on desktop and mobile

Pros: Asana is a great application to organize my tasks
I can organize it by projet or client or software version, .... we can define tags to organize task and projects
With Asana I can have a overview of my projects where I want, work great of mobile as too
Asana can share task with others, to great overview of project
Asana is easy to use for all people

Cons: At moment Asana have a lot of functionalities that is enough for organize my work
I use it every day with out any problem

Alternatives Considered: Trello

Reasons for Choosing Asana: For me Asana work very very much beter than others solutions Very easy to organize tasks and check status

Switched From: Trello

Reasons for Switching to Asana: For me Asana work very very much beter than others solutions

• Reviewed on 31/01/2020
Bethany M.
Pastor
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/12/2019

"Lots of Functions"

Comments: We love Asana and tell people about all of the functions within it that allow us to streamline most of our work and communication.

Pros: Asana is so diverse in it's functions that it meets all kinds of organizational and communication needs. We use it at our church for simple tasks lists, meeting follow-up tasks, small to large team projects as well as having long-term groups distinctions within Asana to create projects within. There's even a great feature that allows you to keep ongoing conversations and document links within specific tasks or project teams. I even have a separate folder within my Asana username for personal tasks and projects for my family, so all the distinctions are helpful.

Cons: Asana is getting easier and easier to use with time and the developers have been making it more intuitive, but it was harder to figure out than a couple other project managers we tried.

Alternatives Considered: Basecamp and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Asana had a really good free version and it had so many powerful functions. We would have gone with basecamp due to its intuitive design, but it costed to much per month. We're very happy with Asana now that we've been in it for a few years.

• Reviewed on 25/12/2019
Maria S.
Head of Product Management
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2019

"Good software with room for improvement"

Comments: Asana is a recommendable tool for task management with a very comforting surface. It is easy to handle and set up projects, tasks and teams. It though lacks some useful features that other task management tools like JIRA or teamwork offer.

Pros: Asana is very well designed and has a really nice optical appearance.
It helps to structure projects, timetables and priorize tasks in an easy understandable way.
It offers a good mobile solution with the Asana app.

Cons: Although it regularly sets up new features and helpful improvements, some features that are essential to me are missing:
- The overview of my tasks is a list that can not be sorted in many ways. It only offers to select from project, due dates and likes. I would prefer a sorting by due date connected with the priority of the tasks or due date connected with projects. As I often have up to 15 or 20 tasks per day it would be great to sort them more accurately.
- I miss the possibility to priorize tasks independently from their project. E. g. a task is assigned to my within a project and marked there with the priority medium. It though has high priority among my personal due tasks.
- Dependencies (not sub-tasks) cannot be set between different tasks. I would like to have the possibility to set a task as dependent on the completion of another task.

Alternatives Considered: Jira

Reasons for Choosing Asana: Todoist did not offer enough features and our new marketing manager has been using Asana for some time so he pushed a software change.

Switched From: Todoist

Reasons for Switching to Asana: Better user surface, easier to understand, already experiences with Asana. JIRA though is used for IT tasks.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Connor D.
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2019

"Cliche Warning: Asana Changed My Life"

Comments: I was introduced to Asana when I started as a new coach for an established executive coaching firm. At the time, I considered myself wildly-unorganized. I'd tried various task-, time-, and priority-management tools in the past and none of them really stuck. Asana was the game-changer for me. I don't know how to explain to beyond the fact that the workflow and systems seem "natural" to me. The overall flow seems to match the way my brain best operates, and their features have made tracking everything on my plate (which seems to increase every day) seem almost effortless. I'll be leaving that executive coaching firm shortly as I launch my own business, but I'll definitely be taking my experience with Asana with me. I can't imagine trying to run any aspect of my life, let alone my business, without it.

Pros: At the risk of sounding like a super-fan (and honestly, maybe I am), I love almost everything about Asana. But I'd say my all-time favorite feature is the Today, Upcoming, and Later sections. That might sound minor, but that super-simple approach to task, time, and priority-management has been a game-changer for me and my clients. It's allowed me to stay focused on what matters most in-the-moment without losing sight of longer-term vision. Beyond that, the collaboration features are second-to-none. I run every aspect of my business through Asana: Blog posts, client workflows, meetings, presentations, and so on ... Literally everything gets tracked in Asana. And because of that, it makes it very easy to outsource projects and collaborate with others. Finally, another important feature for me has been their Advanced Search feature. Unfortunately they recently removed this from the "Free" plan, but it looks like I've been grandfathered in. Honestly, this feature alone is probably worth paying for if you use the tool as extensively as I do. I have literally hundreds of tasks in Asana, split up among various teams, projects, and sections. Managing a database that large without an intuitive search feature would be a nightmare (and, honestly, probably a deal-breaker). Thankfully Asana's Advanced Search functionality doesn't disappoint (and their "Saved Search" feature makes it easy to quickly access common searches).

Cons: Two things come to mind: I'm really not a fan of Asana's "Home" or "Inbox" tabs. Honestly, I don't understand the point of them and find it a little frustrating that the default view is "Home" rather than "My tasks." Their Home view is a cluttered mess that doesn't give you an insightful or helpful look into your day or your priorities. I ended up creating a custom bookmark straight to the My Tasks view to avoid it. Same goes for Inbox: It's not that I've had a bad experience with their inbox tab, it's just that I don't really understand the point of it. I've never found a viable use case for the Inbox tab after coaching dozens of entrepreneurs through the program.

Alternatives Considered: Trello and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Asana: I wasn't with the company when Asana was originally chosen as our go-to task management solution, but I believe it was Asana's easy collaboration features that made it the obvious choice.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2019
Kylee L.
Marketing Account Executive
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2019

"Task organization made simple!"

Comments: Before we found Asana, we were having difficulties in communicating all project needs, deadlines, and expectations. With 9 members on our marketing team, sometimes details can get lost in the daily shuffle or smaller tasks may be pushed to the bottom of the list to make time for those higher priority projects. As this happened, some projects were getting overlooked and deadlines were missed. Then and there, we decided we needed a platform where the entire team can input projects, deadlines, detailed notes, and expectations. Back and forth communication is key when running a large team, and this has allowed us to give instant feedback and ask questions directly under a specific task. If we do ever need to push out a deadline, you can make changes to any of the tasks/sub-tasks. Then, notifications can be sent out via email or desktop alerts. That notifies any user associated with the task that something on it has been changed. This feature of Asana has also been a major asset to our team. Lastly, the calendar feature, showing all present and future tasks, has been a much needed addition to Asana over the last few years. When we thought Asana couldn't be more streamlined, it upgraded to add in the calendar! Seeing everything in an overall view on the calendar is very helpful, rather than just seeing the tasks laid out in list form. It helps us to see everything in a more "big picture" view, so that smaller projects aren't forgotten and deadlines aren't missed.

Pros: The best feature of Asana is the ability to share tasks, deadlines, notes, and projects with team members. By linking our entire team on one platform, it has streamlined our review and turnaround process. There are no gaps in communicating what is needed on a project and when its due date is expected. This has been invaluable to our team! You can assign each team member a task, the date it's due, and add notes to clarify things.

Cons: Truly, I cannot think of a single thing we dislike about Asana - the capabilities are exactly what we were looking for. It is easy to use and has updated over the years to match trends and the growing needs of its users.

• Reviewed on 24/07/2019
Brice W.
Managing Director
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2018

"Great tool for small team and project management"

Comments: Don't try to talk anyone into Asana! I have found the successful launches are as follows 1. Its your team and you will only work through Asana and its just what it is. ( not the best feeling roll out, but I have never not had a team member come around one day and have a list of..did you knows about Asana features) 2. When someone is talking through an issue they are having that you know Asana could easily solve politely build the project bones right then and there and car sell them (wouldn't it be great if you had a tool that could show you... or how easy would your job be if you could always find the document xx emailed to you for project....) and when the head is nodding flip your screen towards them and be like "would it look something like this? 3. Just start using it and start rocking your job and when people start to wonder how you have organized your life and work in such a short period of time. tell them you aren't sharing your secret or your secret software... and I'll be damned if they don't all figure out what you are using and just plan adopt it and them come back around like they are some sort of secret tech agent that figured out your secret and cannot believe you were holding this back from them....even though you had a 3 month internal adoption campaign for it earlier in the year...*head shake*

Pros: Asana is a very easy to pick up software. I stumbled across it while on the search for something to help me stay on top my teams progress on the multitude of small to medium size projects they were involved in at our company. At the time my team was struggling to organize the fire drill level projects that seemed to be dropped off in person, emailed, or communicated through a variety digital outlets all day every day. A the time I was wasting time trying to help the five year old organization dial in on a communication method and project management philosophy. Having no luck trying to fix the problem company-wide I turned inward for a tool to help our team. Asana was exactly what we needed. The two biggest function i used right out of the gate were To do list and Email forward to task (forward any email into Asana through either a general email or a project specific email - whoever you put in the [To] becomes the owner of the task [CC] becomes a follower [subject] is the task title [body] becomes the task description. So many executives would just email me all day long with things that specific people on my team took care of, before Asana I had to email it to them and then keep a list of items to remember to follow up on and to follow up with the executive to make sure they got the response or service they were looking for. Enter Asana - Same as before I forward the email along adding the Asana email, big difference is now I have a digital list of what tasks I have forwarded on, can see the solution provided, can see the response from the executive, and get to sleep at night when my team member checks it of as done and it clears from my assigned to others list. Also helped with repeat questions as the executive team started to see the change in our department they slowly started to adopt Asana for themselves and their teams. Onvce they started interacting through Asana we stopped getting common repeat questions because as soon as they would start typing it the system would pull up previous items and ask if any of these were relevant to their question. Win Win, less emails, people empowered to have the answers they need without needing to file every communication themselves, only have to follow up on tasks I've assigned out when I get the "hey should someone have done something with this" pop up when the system feels like a task is going longer than usual. Also connects with ... nearly everything

Cons: The dashboards are very basic. You are better off tracking larger projects between a three way Asana, Instagant, Harvest integration. It is great that you can create templates for larger projects or tasks that reoccur so you don't have to rebuild it every time, but its a pain that you cant have the people who do the task assigned to the template. you can but then they get blown up with reminders and end up spending time searching for to-do's that are not real because its in the template.

• Reviewed on 27/04/2018
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Marketing Strategist
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/03/2018

"Overall, asana is incredibly flexible, but that can also be it's downfall"

Pros: Asana is flexible and easy to use. When we first implemented asana, the biggest change was the drop in internal emails we were receiving. Having the inbox feature is nice because there's somewhere you can go to see if anyone has commented or updated any tasks you follow or if they've added you to any new tasks. The use of emojis and the ability to like a comment or action are very small things, but they can make monotonous things like checking off tasks or seeing that someone completed something feel a little bit nicer. You feel good when someone likes your comment or task completion. It's a small way of saying thanks without having to actually type it out every time. Being cloud based means it's super easy to access from anywhere (except when the internet is down i suppose)
I do like the fact that you can also create a personal account and throw task lists in there that are totally separate from work tasks, but still easy to access. I haven't used it a ton, but it sure came in handy for wedding planning!

Cons: There's too much flexibility. Even with templates set up, everyone sets up task lists differently, so no two projects are the same. Unless you implement a rigid system or process around how employees should build out a project and task lists, or have only a few people allowed to create tasks, it can easily get confusing. This makes it hard to find things. Thank god for the search bar, but when you can't remember exactly what you named something, it's difficult to track things down. It's also hard to know where a project is at by looking in asana. All tasks you've completed are hidden by default. I sometimes turn on their visibility so I can at least see what has been completed and what's left, but it's not a great picture of how far along the project actually is, as there are sometimes tasks that either haven't been entered yet, or tasks that contain large lists of subtasks, so even though it looks like one task, there's actually 12 steps to it. Basically, the task list doesn't give you any indication of how much time is estimated that each tasks needs to complete. It's really easy to get lost with subtasks inside of subtasks inside of subtasks.

• Reviewed on 27/03/2018
Debi P.
VP, Marketing and Communications
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/12/2016

"Excellent project management tool once you figure it out."

Comments: We use the free version of Asana as we have a small number of users, but it has become a central project management and communications tool. Because the free version is limited to 15 users, we've integrated this with Atlassian's HipChat, which we received as a grant. Combined, this has been an excellent management, tracking, file sharing and centralized communications tool in an organization where people work on various platforms with different software. This has been a bit of a tough sell to folks used to working with desktop email and Outlook systems, but Asana works well on mobile devices. It also centralizes all information in a searchable database, which has proven enormously useful. However, there is a significant learning curve with Asana, which has hampered our roll-out efforts. Asana's complexity and wide feature set can be overwhelming for the uninitiated.

Pros: Centralized project management, file sharing and search functions save a lot of time and effort by reducing the need to use email. The searchable archive has been very helpful. Overall, Asana has made project work much more efficient by keeping all relevant parties in the loop, all conversations in one place, and enabling file sharing across all devices and platforms.

Cons: Asana's feature set and complexity requires a relatively steep learning curve for the uninitiated. That hampered roll-out efforts in my organization, along with the fact there is no desktop app for Asana. After nearly a year, I'm still figuring out all the features and best uses, so it would be nice to have a variety of case studies/examples from which to glean best practices.

• Reviewed on 08/12/2016
Bill B.
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2020

"Excellent project management for sole proprietors"

Comments: While Asana emphasizes teams, I've found it the best tool available for my one-person business. I use it as a daily calendar, project planner, notepad and for reminders. Items can be viewed and manipulated in a variety of ways - as a calendar, a list, a Kanban board, or a timeline.

Pros: Asana integrates with many other web apps and has a good API. Asana remains free for one user, which I appreciate.

Cons: The mobile app would be nicer if it remembered your choices about views and sort orders. The default view on opening the app isn't useful to me. Every time I open, I have to select sort by due date.

Alternatives Considered: Toodledo and Todoist