15 years helping Emirati businesses

About eClinicalWorks

eClinicalWorks EMR is a comprehensive and customizable system that streamlines clinical workflows and enhances patient care.

Learn more about eClinicalWorks

Pros:

I use this software daily. I love the fax feature the most.

Cons:

Need to enter a ticket even for simple fixes that should be a phone call. Sales seem to be all US based, but customer service is overseas and VERY difficult to understand at times.

eClinicalWorks ratings

3.3
2.8
3.3
3.0

5.6/10

eClinicalWorks has an overall rating of 3.3 out 5 stars based on 367 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used eClinicalWorks before?

Knott
Knott
Cardiovascular Research Supervisor in US
Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

eClinicalWorks is my personal favorite eMR for medical practices

Comments: This is a much less cumbersome software than that used in other offices.

Pros:

I like the search patient feature - if two patients have the same or similar names, it alerts you. It would be easy to click on the wrong patient in error. All the chart documents are organized intuitively so it is very easy to find a specific document you are looking for. Also, as soon as you pull up the patient, it shows the date of the last visit and date of the next upcoming visit. Also, printing is smooth and no trouble to set up.

Cons:

The progress notes are semi-prepopulated, which could lead to information getting into the note that you did not intend to.

Justin
Owner/ lead physician in US

Great Difficulties Discontinuing Service

Comments: Terrible to disconnect from with misinformation and fraudulent billing despite clear records of trying to cancel services.

Pros:

It is a usable EMR that helped productivity and was fairly intuitive

Cons:

I delayed writing my review hoping ecw would settle my issue. I’ve been charged even after selling my practice completely last December and after full transitions of ownership am still billed fully! This is considerable ongoing cost and my issues are:1) In December when I sold out we requested services terminate as the new [sensitive content hidden] took over.2) We were given incorrect information we could not cancel due to contract, then we’re told we could have cancelled anytime by clicking a button3) Verified by [sensitive content hidden] our ECW contact he sees we requested cancellation after selling back in December and again every month, HE ALSO did screen sharing and confirmed our software lacks “the button” to cancel ecw,4) we are still being billed and cannot cancel!!!

Joelle
CCMAMAG in US
Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

Simple, effective EMR system

4.0 last month New

Comments: Overall Eclinical works for basic needs. I preferred Eclinical in the exam room setting for regular visits and check ins. However, for larger appointments, like procedures and IM ejections, etc. it was rather clunky and lacking in certain features. I would highly recommend Eclinical for anyone looking for a simple EMR to manage a small practice.

Pros:

Eclinical works offers an affordable option for medical practices and providers. Overall the system is fairly streamlined, simple and easy to navigate. It is an "older system," but continues to improve and is effective for the uses we require within our practice.

Cons:

I wished that Eclinical offered a better system for procedure documentation and generating of procedure consents and info. We currently make these manually on a PDF document and integrating them in to the system would save time and energy scanning them back in to the system.

Anna
Manager in US
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Poor training, Horrible customer service, very expensive monthly fee, incomplete set up

Comments: it's been a battle from day one, starting with their un-organized and poor training week for physicians and staff, having incompetent trainer, charging for a trainer who's knowledge base was zero, forcing clients to pay for trainers air fair even if their BAD, they will

Pros:

patient scheduling is good, we were told reports are great but it was not at all good or user friendly.

Cons:

No upper management, no one is there if you have complains, you're on your own. During the demo they promise you the moon and the stars but deliver nothing

Outpatient charting,

Comments: As stated above, many years ago used the software when a family practice was switching from paper to EMR. There was not a good way to do this and wish there was. However the software itself was easy to use and learn. Love the interface ability and secure messaging for patients.

Pros:

Ability to integrate with other clinics and facilities. Team learned it quickly.

Cons:

Not as many features as Epic or Cerner, however feel works well for outpatient practice. First used with transition to EMR from paper records and wish there had been a more efficient way to do.

Douglas
Douglas
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

Best EMR to lengthen your workday! If you get paid by the hour you'll get rich!

Comments: It is tedious to use, so many clicks it's unbelievable. I honestly believe that they pay the coders by the number of clicks the user is forced to do. It takes you out of the chart if you look up any info on a patient so you have to go back to you schedule screen and reselect the patient to get back into the progress note. The top of the page says "Allergies". Can you click on it and see the patient's allergies? No! you have to click on Medical summary and wait for it to generate the page popup then scroll to the section that has allergies. Then close the popup to get back to your page. When writing prescriptions, it never remembers the patient's pharmacy. You have to click the pharmacy and click "save as favorite" EVERY TIME! Then it takes to the next screen which forces you to do the same thing again. Also it doesn't "know" I am the provider writing the Rx so I have to go to the list and scroll down to find my name EVERY TIME! If a patient call in and needs a refill, I have to enter a telephone visit (which I didn't take part in) implies I spoke to the patient and then from there enter the prescription with all the tedious things listed above. What's funny is there is an "Rx" button across the top of the page in any given chart. Unfortunately, that button only shows the current meds and there are several tabs NONE OF WHICH SHOW ALLERGIES, and nowhere on that medication summary where you can write a prescription. Patient lookup doesn't keep a history, so if you go into a chart then have to access another part of the record as I mentioned above it takes you out of the chart. Then when you need to go back into the chart, you have to enter all the lookup information again! It should have a little dropdown history of recently accessed charts. If you are in a given patient's chart and need to send the nurse a note on that patient, you go to Create Note and then select the recipient. Incredibly, the note does not attach or connect to the patient whose chart you are sending from! The first time it happened, the nurse asked me who I was talking about in the note because it had no patient info on it! It's just one unbelievable thing after another. For OB, they don't have a dedicated OB visit. What they do is make a hybrib where you toggle between the flow sheet which is kind of the running pregnancy info- and a progress note which is created for each visit. The progress note is the same old progress note you do for a regular visit with ROS, PMH etc. which you don't need for OB vsits since they aren't there for a problem - just keeping tabs on the pregnancy. It also tries to make you do an E/M on every OB visit even though it's a global fee so you have to say no to that every visit.

Pros:

You can use it on a tablet, they fit a lot of stuff (albeit useless) stuff on the screen

Cons:

Everything from the tedious login to forcing you to falsify records, to the multiple layer of menus to extra clicks, to making accessing information tedious and difficult, to the onboarding person - not a team- but one person who googled everything we asked because we could see it on her zoom screen even though she didnt' realize it. Good grief, it's total ripoff and the [sensitive content hidden] on down has no clue about medicine. They are in it to mine data in my opinion.

eClinicalWorks Response

5 months ago

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. Your satisfaction is our priority and in order for us to help you please email us at [email protected].

Aamr

Iniitial experience.

Comments: The onboarding days have been traumatic and thats why i am writing this review at 2 am on a weekday. I do not want any one else to go through what i am going through. After spending so much money onboarding , trainers are 1000 per trainer a day and paying for flights after the free 3 days , the onboarding process from go live to 3 days of "free training" were useless as nothing got activated, cancelled clinic days were wasted as i was waiting for their software to be activated and my licence was not "put in the system right"
When i asked their manager they said i should have paid more at the onboarding with a consultation with a **WORKFLOWS - Business Analysis services if i wanted things done right first time.
So far i would tell anyone to make sure you have everything locked down with prices which seems impossible as they will say their system does everything till you sign the contract and then the addons come up.
It is not an efficient system.. i can see myself forced to go back to athena which is super expensive with their billing percentage version which at least works..

Pros:

They have a good marketing team but all the features i went for have been exaggerated

Cons:

So far Nothing much so far is likeable, it is clunky , it can only be accessed from a widget that does not work well with apple (multiple popups and quick auto log-out make it irritating till i guess you start ignoring it. Also one has to make a change and then press refresh and that has so far taken up to a minute to refresh and show an order placed. First the pricing appears transparent but is not real, the full feature (600$) is actually not a full feature and the price will almost double per person once you start, they bank on you needing addons and those do not have listed prices and once you spend 3-5 months onboarding you really get roped into it. The features such as prisma for hospital records is 750 per hospital to activate and 25 dollars a month per hospital per provider which for my 6 providers racks up per hospital. Text messages for appointment scheduling is in the package but if you have to send patients fillable forms is 15 cents a message. kiosks fee payment systems all have addd ons that they will not mention till you are locked in. The EMR sucks so far, can you imagine one cannot order a sleep study as it is a "specialty order" and should have been discussed at the buildup stage . Referrals all have to be placed in the system meaning i have to google and go out and get every provider who i want to refer to to get me their number and feed it in the system myself. Labs will only go if i have a specific lab setup, i .e i cannot order an ESR as quest calls it by a different code and i have to call them otherwise the system will not place it. ( alot of useless things that they market cleverly as fail safes but end up making the workflow longer) Like i mentioned the medication transfer is non existent, i was told after onboarding not to rely on it. Each pharmacy has to be googled and mapped out, they do not have their own database. Apparently the largest p2 network they only had 3 providers show up in my city of 1 million people in texas (because they said users in my area were fewer?)

Brandy
Owner in US

Don't Fall For The Small Praacice Scheme

Comments: I changed my small office of 2 providers seeing 2-7 patients a week to Eclinicalworks after being told I would be charged 5.99 per encounter for 6 months then switched to 199/provider with 40 encounter limit anything over was 5.99/encounter. WELL, that not the case. It took over 3 months to go live and I only received a bill for encounter only for 2 months. Then I began receiving a bill for both 5.99 a encounter and 199/provider. WHAT?!!! That is not what I was told nor does that make any sense for a small practice trying to grow and not making enough money pay additional money. I still am having issues with features not working on the system yet I'm paying for them after we have complained several times.Now they are switching the explanation that you must have 40 encounters a month to not be charged 5.99 per encounter. Why does this make sense? I have tried getting access to corporate several times has been nothing but a headache and a run around. Then I never recieved a bill for APril and they never sent any information until it was considered in collection. When [sensitive content hidden] called my office and rude and biligerent to my employee. Then I still never received a bill only for MAY and JUNE. Then left us no access to the EMR but expects full payment for the new month when we cannot access it nor bill. THEY ARE A TRAP AND HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. They do not take responsibility for their mistakes.

Pros:

NOTHING AT THIS TIME, they have been a headache x 3 months

Cons:

Constantly having issues with various features telehealth, patient confirmations, encounters, scribe, etc None of it is ever fixed

Crystal
Medical Practice, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Functional basic EMR

Comments: Overall very functional EMR with a few small nuances.

Pros:

Easy to navigate through the program. Relatively easy to order medications and eprescribe. There is a bit of a learning curve but is easy once you get the hang of the program.

Cons:

The health care maintenance checks were lacking and left a lot of gaps for follow-ups. The E-prescribing was sometimes confusing when it came to choosing a location.

Chad
Chad
Medical Student in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Great EMR for clinic based settings loaded with features

Comments: Overall eClinical Works does a pretty good job as a clinic based EMR. It's fairly comprehensive and once you learn it, it is very easy to fill out notes, auto populate data, code for billing and handle messaging and e-prescriptions.

Pros:

I like how comprehensive the EMR is, information is fairly well laid out and it has lots of features including a messaging service where memos from patients, forms from pharmacies etc can all be accessed and responded to without having to give out the providers email address or phone number.

Cons:

It can be difficult to learn at first and find all of the information it holds. Sometimes the locations of certain tabs aren't very intuitive. It's also annoying that you can't have more than one tab up at a time to look at multiple patients at once.

Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

Progressive EHR with lots of options

Comments: I've worked with a number of EHRs (NextGen, Practice Fusion, ARIA, Meditech, Athena) and this has overall been my favorite. Most often the complaint I heard from people was the inability to understand the support reps, but compared to other vendors, issues were resolved more quickly. A lot of the offerings are add-ons and do have a cost, but compared to other vendors, I found them significantly more reasonable and thought the product was a very good value. Overall, it worked well. We were cloud based and had very few issues with the hosting. I would definitely recommend.

Pros:

Vendor is very progressive in developing new features. For example, we could pull data from home blood glucose meters or fit bits into patient visit notes if the patient linked an account through the portal. Tracking for CCM billing was easy and built into the system. Patient engagement features were great, such as automatically notifying patients that prescriptions were sent to the pharmacy, calling for appointment reminders from the schedule and updating responses directly to the appointment. If you need to notify the entire schedule of a provider absence, it's very easy to automatically send out notifications. Lots of technology options for collecting data including inexpensive check-in kiosks and apps for phones and tablets. Software can be an installed application or web based. The software is very flexible in most cases and there are numerous ways to get from/to anywhere in the system quickly. You can open multiple instances of your login to allow you to document in one chart while viewing something else. Integrated faxing made for one less thing to support/review.

Cons:

Reporting on clinical data is not good at all. It's very difficult to search the database and get accurate results on labs/medical history/diagnoses/etc. We tried RCM services early in their existence and found them very unreliable but that was a number of years ago. Updating note sections during a visit could contain a slight delay when clicking between different sections of the note, but not terrible.

Mamatha
physician in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Too many clicks/windows. Don't love the Hub system.

Comments: I was in a solo practice coming off the free version of Practice Fusion and moved to another local area office. I believed I would be moving to an office with a great integrated software system with practice management and EHR in one and all the bells and whistles. But any other features than what I had would be more money.
This one is not user friendly. I feel very badly for larger systems that mistakenly chose this software.
There is an extra charge for everything.
My data migration would have been cost prohibitive. Practice Fusion had let me move demographics and insurance with a few clicks in front of my eyes.
Every aspect of the free Practice Fusion was more reliable, easier to use, prettier to look at/cleaner.
I love medicine and patient care and EHR/business side has made it hard to find the perfect situation and made staying independent more difficult.
The upgrades are odd - now there are two sections in the note - Physical Exam and Regular Exam. What?
ICD-9s all remain. Why?
For many tasks, another window needs to open up. That is the critical time when the software may freeze and no way around logging back out and in.
Did I mention my "favorites" in prescriptions don't pop up. I can't figure out why they are there only half the time and I am typing the same prednisone taper over and over and over.

Pros:

I've got nothing. I was an early adopter of EMR starting with Powermed in 2002 for 5 years, Springcharts for 5 years starting 2007. 2 versions of Allscripts at a volunteer clinic and another verions of Allscripts at an employed position. I used Athena for 3 years at my solo practice and it was wonderful but I thought it was costly for a solo when the Meaningful Use dollars ran out. But looking back I would keep Athena or Practice Fusion and make it work. Every single one of these were more friendly to doctors/patients and better for workflow. I don't remember any glitches like this software.

Cons:

-Too many clicks. If I get a message to refill a prescription from staff. It is 8 more clicks AFTER the prescription has been sent. -Freezes and have to log out and log in multiple times a day. -Ipad and Iphone version is terrible and you cannot do work - it's just a rudimentary emergency system. -I am flabbergasted by how bad the ICD-10 lookup is. Both Practice Fusion and Athena are so good that I can't believe the ECW one can be this terrible. -Pharmacy linking is very clunky. Practice Fusion had every pharmacy in the country at my fingertips. -Record of prescriptions sent is very bad. Controlled substances are not there. Faxed ones are separate. There should be one med list with one set of dates! I have never seen this system on any other EHR. -My counter for the referral jellybean and telephone encounter jellybean always say 1 even if I have zero in that inbox - VERY GLITCHY. -E-refill requests, it rarely links the patient (almost like a fax coming in) and then it often does not link the drug in the chart and you have to search again for the drug -Diabetic supplies are impossible to send in. All e-requests for diabetic supplies have to be sent denied -Writing a prescription is very frustrating. It will say things like "duration must be entered in days" or "you did not chose the strength, dose or formulation". If you did change the strength, the number of tablets disappears and then when you go to send it, it will not send so you must return to a different screen

Robert
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Never used more glitchy software, nor a more poorly designed UI in my life.

Comments: The owners/managers of this company need to sell to new managers who can overhaul the entire operation.

Pros:

Ostensibly offers many features, from an integrated EMR/PM system to registration kiosks, etc... Once the kiosk app became functional (took months...see below), we were able to decrease our reg desk staff.

Cons:

1. As others have stated, the initial 5 day training period was mostly used by their staff to fix their own glitches and get the the software to a base functional state. 2.5 of the 5 days training period was used to fix things like scripts which simply didn't work. So much of the provider training time was a total waste. we were than charged additional money to have them come back and spend more time with us. 2. Content is not provided. We were told the system can be used for urgent care. after all, one fo the largest chains int he country uses ECW. They didnt tell us that chain spent a significant amount of time and money customizing the system to suit the urgent care need. 3. ECW is unable to provide suggestions for how their software should function in an urgent care environment. asking them which flow would be ideal for their software is a useless question. 4. Their software was designed by folks who have never heard of UI/UX or Human factors. As others have noted there is not a consistent use of symbology between screens. There are often multiple ways to do the same function on one screen. Sometimes the label "close" means one thing on screen but another on another screen. 5. tech support is obscene. We were unable to unfavorite certain meds form our list. It took them weeks to months to figure out why. 6. Multiple sections of the software are labelled "procedures". one area results in a CPT code being auto listed on the billing screen; one area does not. Many other illogical quirks exist as well. Good luck trying to teach every new provider these types of quirks. 7. If you are an RCM customer, many of the features they use to market themselves are simply non functional. Patients of RCM clients cant use the patient portal to make payments since as an RM client, the software does not correctly send balance data to the portal. But if you call the "portal department", they are unaware of this problem. The web based version of their software to this day (early 2019) does not receive correct balance information for patient accounts. So, even if the providers and the medical assistants use the web based version, you still have to maintain the desktop version for the front desk staff. The UI is totally different between the two systems, so you effectively have to train your staff on two different systems. Ridiculous. 8. Their entire development team and tech support team is in India. Consequently, we had to spend significant time fixing the kiosk application since literally every screen in the app had typos, grammatical mistakes and phrases thats imply didn't make sense. I screen capped them to have proof. They simply didn't understand why i couldn't use the kiosk app as it was delivered to me. This means they never even bothered to have one of their US based staff look at the product before it was released. 9. They wanted to change the pricing scheme in the middle of our contract due to legal issues they had in NY. So, they changed it in their favor without discussing it with me. Their financial analyst then used seasonal data, and ignored the peak season in doing so, to justify their new price. Had they been intellectually honest and used a full year of data, it would have altered their conclusion about what the new pricing scheme would have cost me. Dishonesty like that has no excuse. 10. Despite asking them if the price we would be paying for the software included everything as an RCM customer, and them replying yes, they then proceeded to charge me hundreds of dollars extra for each provider per year to use the escript controlled substance feature. So yet Another set of conversations resulted in a reduction in price for a period of time. 11. Can't even count the number of conversations I've had with tech support, their own billing dept, as well as their practice liaisons who knew nothing about urgent care. I want the year of my life I've spent with them on the phone back.

VICTORIA

Poor Service All Around

Comments: Overpriced, non human staff, English is horrible,not reliable.

Pros:

Nothing, something was always not functioning.

Cons:

Very cumbersome always had new charges to integrate other equipment or software. No reliable SAM and not accountable. Offered to cancel and they kept me on for longer and now I am being charged to be released. After the retention department begged me to stay. What a very costly system especially during theses times.

James
IT Administrator in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Nightmare

Comments: They are 100% offshore support. 98% of the people that call speak so little English that you have no chance of having any sort of meaningful conversation. Every single time we do a patch update it takes 5-7 hours on top of the line hardware. About 50% of the time the patch fails and it takes a whole day or two to get the correct people from ECW on the phone to resolve the issue. They have account managers assigned to clients and they don't do any account management. I am not really sure why that person exist as they provide no value to my clients. Do yourself a favor, do not consider this product. It IS worth it to pay more for a better supported product. If you want to spend countless hours arguing or just trying to get a response then buy this product. Given the current level of support I wouldn't be surprised that they go out of business in the future.

Pros:

It was inexpensive, and feature rich when we purchased it in 2010. The ability to self host is great to control the user experience.

Cons:

Support, updates, cost. They are changing the way features have worked or been charged for. As a result you are forced to pay for something that was free for years or it stops working.

Debbie
Project Manager in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

This software company continues to update the software and tries to keep up with the ever changing Health care industury

Comments: Support has improved over the past 6 months. The technical teams really care about solving the issues that arise. You can really tell the staff at eClinicalworks are very committed to customer satisfaction. When so many companies are not concerned with customer satisfaction I am glad that we are using on that is.

Pros:

Always changing and updating the operation of the Software to keep up with the ever changing Health Care Industry

Cons:

The Software is so flexible and we have been using it since 2006 we really need to develop additional ways to make documentation of Progress notes easier for the providers. When we were trained back in 2006 to develop templates and to use the software for our Providers a lot has changed over the years. It has be difficult to keep up with all the enhancements and developments to the software. Now is the time to really take a good look at how we can go back to making documentation even better for our providers to improve their experience with seeing the patients and not feel so much like it is all about computer documentation and not about the patient any longer. As we move forward into fee for service payment for providers, more is required of the providers and easing their burden is key.

Kris
Owner in US

Great Sales Pitch......Lots of Promises...Very Deceiving Software

Comments: "None of us is slower and more ineffective that all of us combined at the same time". This is there approach. Rarely is any one employee at eCW willing to take ownership of an issue. It's never their department, their job, their scope...especially when it comes to shining light on the many issues eCW has and talking about how they did not uphold their end of the contract. Radio silence and a healthy round of the blame game.

Pros:

Patient Portal works well. The PP trainer was attentive and professional.

Cons:

Empty promises about customization and work-arounds. These work-arounds are only appropriate if they allow you to continue to see patients in the manner you think is best and if it allows you to chart in a logical fashion that fits your practices needs. Just because there is a work-around does not meant that you've solved the issue of the practice and limitation of the software.

William

Terrible EMR

Comments: Terrible, terrible EMR. Don't buy it, I beg you. I'm taking early retirement from my group in large part because of this program.

Pros:

I honestly like almost nothing about eCW. My practice switched from a fairly basic but very functional EMR (SRS Health) to eCW about a year ago. It has been an unmitigated disaster. The training was terrible, the support slow to respond generally and the user experience unbelievably frustrating. I've wasted so much time clicking around trying to complete the most basic tasks it makes me want to cry. If forced to pick a pro, I'd say...actually I can't think of anything. I hate it.

Cons:

1. Illogical workflow. I could go on a long time about this but I don't have room. 2. The web version and desktop version are significantly different so if you go home to finish notes, which I have to do almost every night, you have to remember to do many tasks two different ways. Here's one frustrating difference. You can fax prescriptions from the desktop version but can not from the web version which means if I have a controlled substance to send in I have to wait until the next day when I get back to the office and can use the desktop version. 3. There are too many other cons to list. They are mostly numerous little things that slowly drive you mad. Morale at our office has been terrible since we changed to eCW.

Mike
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Avoid eClinical Works at ALL COSTS!!!

Comments: Horrible, as soon as I saw the entry screen which says "Building your user experience" I felt like I should punch myself in the face. I'll tell you how bad this EHR is- we switched from Soapware to this in 2018- it has been atrocious, I deferred the choice for a new EMR to my wife/office manager and biller- I have built up a very successful practice over the last 18 years, including building the 6,000SF structure myself- I would close my practice and go work some other job, giving up 18 years of hard work, if I had to continue using this EMR. WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW AWFUL THIS EHR IS! If you hate your very existence on this earth then definitely use eCW for your EMR. I would rather be in prison. We are looking at others currently.

Pros:

There are NONE! This is the absolute worst EMR I have seen, way too many button clicks to accomplish a most basic task, very difficult to use, awful set-up, will slow you down.

Cons:

Everything! Medications don't esend reliably, templates awful, spell check worthless, 10 clicks instead of 2-3, and a vast number of useless buttons that cannot be removed.

Mark

Beware

Comments: Terrible customer service. Outdated platform. Expensive. What's not to like? When I left I paid them $5000 to get my records to transfer into my new EMR. They sent me a hard drive with data in random arrangements and corrupted data. Nice.

Pros:

Some of the features are nice, you can enter your consultants (but you have to do this manually). Has eprescribing but difficult to get lab interfaces or controlled eprescribing. Notes do look like notes and some of the templates for exams are easy to use.

Cons:

Wow, where to start. This is a spaghetti programming system that is so screwed up it will never work correctly. Every time there is an update, multiple things stop working. If you have problems good luck getting someone who speaks understandable English or even someone to respond to your issue. You may get a response several days later at 9PM. The only people there who speak good English are the sales people (shocker). Until I went with a different EMR I didn't realize how many work arounds I had been putting in place.

Antoinette
Office manager in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

eClinical is best for large practices.

Pros:

Full practice software for all aspects of managing a medical office and patient charting. Able to accommodate several practitioners and staff allowing for large volumes of files and database. Very straight forward practical application to use given all the functions available.

Cons:

Many features were not used as it is not easily streamlined for a specialty practice. Tech support/service call response is immediate but actual support and repair was often deferred to a later time and was difficult to communicate with their staff, located overseas. Costs for eclinical is expensive.

eClinicalWorks Response

6 years ago

Hi Antoinette- Thank you for your feedback on eClinicalWorks. I'd like the opportunity to chat with you more about customizing eCW for your specialty as that seems to be a challenge you're having with the software. We use eClinicalWorks to provide billing services for our customers and are the largest certified reseller in the nation. I'd be curious to speak with you more to see if we could help. Feel free to reach me at 800-769-5288 x2207.

Erin
RN in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Nursing perspective

Comments: It’s important to know your needs when shopping for an EMR— company size, employee knowledge levels, and user priorities. eCW was great for us!

Pros:

I used eClinical works for many years while working as a Director of Nursing in a setting where I am now a casual employee— I have taken another job in the field, which of course means learning a new electronic medical record! This has made me appreciate a few things about eCW. I think what I liked most about this software was the strong user support resource. Trainers came to spend several days on-site at the beginning, and then remained very available for our team!

Cons:

I found the scheduling features to be slightly lacking in their ability to be customized for our setting. We had to make some new changes, but the team was again very helpful.

Andrew
CFO in US

We switched to eCW two years ago and have never looked back, very forward thinking.

Comments: Ease of use from clinical side, good product from Practice Management. Forward thinking with patient engagement.

Pros:

Our clinicians feel that the setup is much more efficient than some of the other eHR packages we have use. I like we're they are going with the web based content and PHM. We see a lot of value in the product and feel it has been a great investment. From a financial standpoint, the monthly subscription service helps small businesses who can't afford to put up large sums of money for initial license fees.

Cons:

Their report generator is a little more difficult to use than some products, or you don't have access to all fields. We utilize their Query writer often and then dump the data into Excel. Their Report Writer suite can be powerful, but requires advanced knowledge of query writing, which many small to medium sized companies likely will not have available.

Jill
Psychologist in US
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed

Steep Learning Curve with ECW

Comments: In general, a electronic medical record system is very helpful. I think ECW needs to listen to the user experience and make some adjustments. It should be more intuitive and less frustrating!

Pros:

There are some positive aspects of ECW. I like that you can create treatment plan templates that are accessible with a keyword. You can easily copy forward your last clinical note.

Cons:

I have found ECW difficult to learn despite having a two day in person seminar and watching their training modules. I have used other electronic medical record systems which are more user friendly. The biggest con for me is that if you type in certain areas (medical history, social history) it is included in every note of every provider moving forward. I work in a primary care clinic, so there are several disciplines working with the same patient. I don't want my information automatically included on the PCM's note and vice versa. The only work around that we found is typing all my history in the "examination" part. This does not make for a well organized note and it is more difficult to easily access the information in future visits, but it does keep the information private.

IT Manager in US
Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

My ECW Experience

Comments: Overall I think there is some improvement that can be done, but ECW gets us through the day to day functions. The support staff could be a lot better. All in all, ECW does what we need it to do.

Pros:

ECW offers a lot of features that our staff utilizes. Our staff loves the jellybean system and how it makes referral, telephone encounters, messages, etc easier to see. The resource schedules are very simple to view and utilize. Running reports in ECW is super easy.

Cons:

The staff support is slow with ticket response. Even when the ticket is marked high priority, the response time takes hours sometimes. We experience a lot of slowness on a day to day basis. This is referring to the ECW product itself. Our providers have complained about being in the rooms with patients and having to stall due to system slowness.