• Overall
    4.1 /5
    4.1 /5
  • Customer Service Software
    3.9 /5

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Showing 1,041 reviews

Eva S.
Operations Manager
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2016

"PREVIEW was a great payroll work horse. But beware, FLEX Payroll is no PREVIEW."

Comments: We've been on Paychex PREVIEW payroll software for 16 years. It was a solid no non-sense payroll processing work horse which came with everything you'd ever need to process payroll for 100+ employees in a very quick and efficient manner. PREVIEW software was extremely well designed and well thought out. The developers took the perspective of payroll processing users and provided all the navigation speed, functionalities and reports that we'd ever find useful or need to do our jobs quickly and efficiently. There were hardly any unnecessary clicks, keystrokes or scrolling to speak of. It exceeded my expectation all these years. Paychex's golden era and reputation as payroll processing leader was probably due to these sensible legacy products. Like all good things which must come to an end, we were switched to FLEX Q2 of 2016 because PREVIEW was so old that Paychex decided to sun set it this year - which was totally understandable. But any reasonable PREVIEW clients would also expect and assume that whatever good features, good functionalities and useful reports that were available and had been working well in PREVIEW would be brought over and be available in the new payroll product as well. Not so. Enters FLEX which Paychex touted as being technologically advanced, etc. It probably is. But as far as FLEX payroll processing features and functionalities are concerned, I am actually set back 16 years to a payroll processing product that seemed Beta, very slow, cumbersome, awkward - compared to PREVIEW. Paychex simply threw PREVIEW out the window and started fresh from scratch with FLEX. I spent my first several months on FLEX Payroll sending them suggestions to make FLEX "better". I don't know if anyone cared. FLEX Payroll screen designs and navigation are very slow, very cumbersome, and very awkward. What I considered "speed features" in PREVIEW were non-existent in FLEX. Fields are spread out as far apart as they can find room to spread them out to (instead of keeping the screen layouts compact) seemingly so as to "maximize" unnecessary clicks, scrolls and keystrokes as much as possible. It's also more cumbersome and time consuming just to get information and reports from FLEX Payroll which could be run quickly and easily before in PREVIEW. I felt like I'm using payroll software designed by inexperienced college graduates who had never processed payroll before in their lives. They're out to get as much of my time make me do as much work as possible for the same amount of work that I have to do as before - to see where my breaking point is. So overall, I'm not impressed. To me, if the basic payroll processing functionalities are less than before, FLEX Payroll will still be inadequate despite all other "great features and modules" they added to FLEX which I don't need.

Pros: Flex integration with Benefits Administration (Benetrac) module can make life a lot easier for some - but Beware - only if your group is 100+ enrolled. Our Paychex sales rep did make the claim that with Benetrac service, our medical insurance transactions "will all be automatic with carriers and we wouldn't have to do a thing" - which was totally not true. As it turned out, more carriers than not do not do EDI for groups (company) with < 100 enrolled. So the main FLEX selling point totally didn't even pan out for us. Please learn from our lesson. Do verify specifically that your medical and dental carriers will do EDI for your group before signing up for Benetrac.

Cons: Although FLEX does its job as payroll software, having been on a faster and more efficient product before, we know how much more time we are spending on this "more inefficient" product compared to before. Oh and please save yourself the headaches and trouble by passing on other Paychex's services. We tried Paychex Health Insurance and ACA filing. They both failed miserably. Same story in both cases. Can't get hold of the account rep and customer service rep. No one would answer or return our calls. Last year's ACA were 60% wrong after I've redone and resubmitted data 3 different times after 3 different CSR told me 3 different things. They were just making it up as they went. Very frustrating.

• Reviewed on 19/10/2016
Joshua E.
Controller
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"BIG DECISION"

Comments: Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros: I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons: There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Adam J.
Campus Support Team Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2019

"Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve"

Comments: Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros: The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons: It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2019
Heather H.
Analyst
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2017

"I find Paychex Flex very easy to use. The app is great and very convenient."

Comments: I love the ability to access my paychecks remotely as well as change my deductions at my convenience.

Pros: The ability to use the system from my smart phone is amazing. Just before I left for vacation I changed my deduction, unfortunately due to user error I had them deduct too much money from my pay check leaving me with a lot less than I expected. In a different environment I would have had to wait until I returned home the change the setting and therefore leaving my next paycheck with the same deduction. With the app I was able to adjust the deduction properly and my next check was the amount I was expecting.

Cons: The feature to submit you time off is missing an important function. It does not give the user the ability to see what has been requested until the request has been approved. It's very inconvenient for someone who's manager isn't monitoring the queue on a daily basis to approve their requests.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2017
Elisabeth B.
Infant Teacher
Individual & Family Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"Perfection!"

Comments: Love. Love. Love. I can't imagine using any other software in my everyday life at work.

Pros: I love PayChex! They make is easy to keep track of my paystubs, benefits, and PTO. I use paychex everyday to clock in and out and to make time off requests. It makes everything so simple.

Cons: I wish they wouldn't do maintenance on the site as often as they do. I do like that they let you know when the site is going to be down ahead of time but I wish it was less often.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020
Steve D.
VP Finance
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"Feedback"

Comments: Too much turnover in the dedicated payroll specialist role. I think I've had four or five in the last five years, and transition experience has been mixed. Some great, some not good at all.

Pros: Ease of use, cost effective. Traditional version easy to use and fairly intuitive. Not looking forward to the new release based on what I have seen so far.

Cons: Inconsistent response time from the dedicated payroll specialist depending on which one we are referring to. See comment below.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Karen W.
Director of Operations
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2016

"Convenience for small companies with 401k plans"

Pros: Recently, I've been shopping other vendors for alternatives. There are two things that Paychex does that other vendors seem to fail to deliver. One is the Washington State L&I taxes, the other is good integration with our 401k through Fidelity. For a small company, where I am doing all the HR, IT, compliance, and client service, being able to wrap all of these things together and still get an extremely competitive price has been a key driver in us sticking with them.

Cons: Sometimes, the customer service can be inconsistent. If something goes sideways, this can be difficult. It doesn't effect 95% of what we do. Additionally, if you have unusual entries for payroll, it can be difficult to figure out how to enter something properly. The help menus are not that great. However, if you call them up, they are good about walking you through what you need to do.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2016
Brenda W.
Practice Administrator
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2018

"Happy Customer!"

Comments: My overall experience - Paychex has saved me time doing payroll! I would recommend to anyone looking for a payroll system.

Pros: I like that my employees can clock in and out online (Time & Attendance) and that it merges right into payroll. Also my employees request their PTO online (no paper anymore)! Paychex has saved me at least 3-4 hours of doing payroll. I also love the Online HR Library which answers all my questions and also has samples of forms that I can use. Reports are great!

Cons: Getting use to the new version that just came out after being on the old since we started.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2018
Heather E.
HR Director
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/03/2019

"Solid Payroll Software"

Pros: Paychex is a robust payroll platform that will meet any payroll needs you have. The system is flexible, and can handle any nuances to your payroll with relative ease. I am also a big fan of the mobile app, which I sometimes find easier to navigate than the web based application. The employee facing interface is also easy to use.

Cons: The interface for actually processing payroll isn't the most intuitive. There is a lot of saving involved, and it's easy to lose your work if you don't remember to do so throughout the process of running your payroll.

• Reviewed on 27/03/2019
Board Member
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2018

"Paychex has some unfortunate downsides"

Comments: Typical clock in/out and benefit tracking.

Pros: Very easy to view clocked in users, people on break, etc. As a manager it is easy to view and approve hours. It allows for a convienant way for staff to access paystubs and documentation.

Cons: Employees often have trouble with the site when punching in/out - the easiest to access option are buttons that move, and as a result it is easy to click the wrong button! Way more time clock corrections that we used to get. It is very difficult for staff to tell how much vacation time they have remiaining, they constantly have to ask for confirmation - very frustrating. It isn't always easy to tell that as a manager either, so we have had issues where people took more time than allocated. THE most frustrating aspect of it is when someone misses a punch - sometimes adding a missed punch is just a matter of clicking a box and filling in the correct time, other times switching a type of punch - like from start break to start meal is ridiculous and you can end up with a big mess. Have never seen a program that is so irritating to handle corrections like that. As a manager I hate working with this program.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2018
Sherry S.
HR Manager
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/07/2018

"Positive Experience"

Comments: Paychex Flex is useful for any size organization. If your company utilizes a 401k, the process is of setting this up is seamless. Flex plans, etc. are also very easy using Paychex Flex.

Pros: Customer service is very good during implementation. The Paychex representatives assist new users along the way, and provide many ways to train. The have live training, and other training modules Payroll Administrators have access to.

Cons: Once your company has launched with their system, customer service is a bit challenging. This can become a bit stressful If you have payroll emergencies.

• Reviewed on 10/07/2018
Craig H.
Senior Accountant
Accounting Software, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2018

"Paychex"

Comments: Moderate. It was good for what we needed it for.

Pros: I work in public accounting and It did what we needed it to do. We used it just to log our hours. We did not use it to log billable bourse. I wish we did in fact see what all the capabilities it had to offer!

Cons: The asthetics I personally did not like. It just seemed to be crude. But Tahts is just a personal opinion

• Reviewed on 12/11/2018
Debbie D.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2018

"Overall, it's very good software"

Pros: It is very convenient to be able to log in any time and perform tasks when it's the best time for me. I frequently work remotely and am easily able to access the website from any computer with internet access.

Cons: I wish the program would let me stay logged in longer with no activity because it takes a while to go back through the 4 step log in to get back into the software.

• Reviewed on 22/05/2018
Kara S.
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2020

"Everything you need"

Comments: Switching over to Paychex Flex was so fast and easy that I wish we had done it sooner!

Pros: Paychex Flex has saved me so much time while processing payroll! The ease of processing the timecards that are automatically entered when my employees punch in and out is my favorite part! I don't have to spend time calculating their hours anymore. It's is so quick and easy to process payroll and to download every report needed! Now I can give my employees their own access to their own paystubs which is less time that they need to spend on coming in and asking me to do it.

Cons: There is absolutely NOTHING that I can complain about with Paychex Flex!

• Reviewed on 06/11/2020
Gina C.
admin
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2018

"paychex review"

Pros: I like how paychex keeps track of all my vacation hours and how it sends reminders whenwe have to approve our time. its fairly easy to use.

Cons: I feel like paychex seems to run super slow on most days. It sometimes takes me 2 to 3 minutes or more to sign on and after i punch it takes extra time for it to allow me to save it. the slowness is my biggest issue.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2018
Vera B.
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2018

"Paychex is a good start for small businesses with little experience in payroll"

Comments: Our company is currently using Paychex Flex to process payroll, issues reports, and process paystubs for employees.

Pros: Paychex is affordable if using the basic features of operating payroll. The web features are simple and requires a two step log-in verification process for extra security.

Cons: Paychex caters to small business and may assigned you a local expert as your point-of-contact. Not all times this person may be available when needed. In addition, Paychex wants to ensure the product is used correctly... However, this may require needing permission to make changes to your payroll features such as changing dates, company info, and etc. Some people may enjoy the benefits of having extra security when logging in, but after a while it can delay things having to keep verifying yourself and your computer just because a change in IP on the network happens. Paychex also charge a premium on next-day processing for payroll.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2018
Marly G.
HR / Payroll
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Rolled out upgrade that doesn't work"

Comments: Working with Paycheck and doing only essentially data entry and payroll is usually very enjoyable. Mostly positive things to say about tech support. We don't use this for keeping our timecards so I manually input our hours and checks.

Pros: For simple data entry and payroll this software is easy breezy.

Cons: When getting into reports or anything that you have not done before the help button is either just a jpeg or the program doesn;t work in Chrome. I haven't tried it in another browswer. They recently rolled out new a software upgrade that is unusable because the buttons are grayed out and the tech support acknowledged that.
Their saving grace is that the tech support is pretty good as long as you get them within business hours.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Sara Y.
Virginia Field Organizer
Civic & Social Organization, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/12/2020

"Paychex Flex is a perfect portal"

Comments: Altogether, Paychex Flex is a perfect portal. I appreciate that even after transitioning to another job or gig in the political advocacy industry, Paychex Flex retains all previous employment information for my convenience and ease of record keeping (i.e. W2s, 1099 forms, Cobra, 401k etc.).

Pros: When I used to work at For Our Future as a field organizer, Paychex Flex was the system we used to keep track of our timesheets, administer benefits, and payment information. It is a perfect portal for all those things and more. It's really easy and intuitive to move from one dashboard to the next. It was our one-stop shop for everything HR-related. I also liked that it included the option to go paperless.

Cons: I disliked that the mobile application of Paychex Flex couldn't quite catch up to the desktop version. Not a huge dealbreaker, but as a community organizer, I was often out in the field, so to speak, and oftentimes I would rely on the app instead of the computer version.

• Reviewed on 28/12/2020
Jennifer C.
Maritime, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/06/2017

"Convient and easy to use!"

Comments: No more issues with payroll everything runs smooth now.

Pros: I personally like how quickly you can enter everything in along with checking all employees hours ( especially when you have a lot to go through). They also are good at reminding you to put it through or let you know to get it in earlier if there is a holiday.

Cons: We have a different schedule then most companies and its hard to integrate that in with Paychex so we do it separately. Other then that I have no cons.

• Reviewed on 09/06/2017
Robin S.
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2019

"Look no further"

Comments: Paychex Flex has been wonderful for my company needs. We are a small business, but Paychex is equipped to handle businesses of all sizes. Most notable is the quality of their Customer Support team. They have been extremely helpful and if not available when you call, they are very quick to return a call and help you find resolution to your questions.

Pros: PayChex Flex is amazing. It is a user-friendly, fully functional Payroll Management tool. It also offers broader features that could potentially eliminate needing multiple software programs so your company could streamline resources.

Cons: Honestly, there is nothing to not like about PayChex. The expense is reasonable for the excellent product and service they provide.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2019
Stephanie H.
Payroll Administrator
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/07/2019

"Easy to use"

Pros: I love that the mobile app is very similar to the desk top version. Very easy to navigate around.

Cons: I wish I could download payroll from my phone. I have been in a couple situations away from the office and my laptop when I needed to upload payroll from Excel on my phone to the app. There is not an option to do this yet. You can manually enter hours but we use multiple pay rates so we must upload our payroll.

• Reviewed on 22/07/2019
Blake B.
Ecommerce Product Manager
Mining & Metals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/09/2019

"Mediocre from the user's point of view"

Comments: We use it for payroll software and I'm kind of underwhelmed as a user. Probably wouldn't recommend using it in the future. Low functionality and low reliability.

Pros: Pretty simple to use, but that's the problem, it's too simple. Lightweight software loads fast and lets you download PDFs of your stub after payment.

Cons: Often, the PDF won't show up even after you're paid. There's a delay and you can't see your paystub. It's not integrated into any other benefits so you can't modify 401k contributions or anything like that. I wish you could see your paystub as soon as it was submitted, which is what other HR software lets you do.

• Reviewed on 13/09/2019
Leah W.
HR MGR
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2018

"We were better off using Excel Spreadsheets"

Comments: Our team wastes so much time documenting every detail of payroll in Excel still. We shouldn't have to do this, but there are so many errors, we are constantly correcting PTO time, or notifying them that other errors occurred. Employees not being paid and us not getting notified for 2 weeks, until employee told us.
Basically just a huge effort to do anything. The worst part though is the customer service we received from the team. They would pawn us off on others, tell us to do everything ourselves. We were asking them for help most times because we didn't know how to fix. Jeez. Wish we could change, but after months of research it seems like all systems offer pitfalls that are equally bad. So, we'll fight the good fight. i'm hoping that our new rep will really make things better.

Pros: We do our 401k Admin through Paychex, and our rep has been great. No complaints on 401k side.
We were able to get 1 customer service rep that was helpful.
Our employees get paid (usually)

Cons: Customer service is lacking.
Incorrect Data
Staff inability to catch errors, making us wait to find on our own later

• Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Victoria M.
Senior HR Generalist
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2017

"Function, but basic features and not visually exciting."

Pros: Add on different services with one user login. The different added services sync immediately across the flex platform.

Cons: It doesn't have a modern look or feel. The reporting features do not provide strategic insight. Reports just pull static data.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2017
Laura M.
Family Services Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/04/2019

"Great software"

Pros: Paychex is wonderful software. I use it daily Monday through Friday to clock in and out. It is fast, easy, secure, and reliable. Requesting time off for sick or PTO is easy and I like that I can view all past Check Stubs in one place.

Cons: Although viewing and approving the Timesheet is easy, it is sometimes confusing because the time is not calculated using a normal 60 minute hour. I would prefer it was instead of in quarters, but I would still highly recommend this software to other organizations.

• Reviewed on 30/04/2019