• Overall
    4.1 /5
    4.1 /5
    3.9 /5

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Showing 1,051 reviews

James D.
Founder, President
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2019

"Better than the competition, and it's secure"

Comments: This system was preferred before switching to ADP, however their cost at the time resulted in us switching to ADP

Pros: I like the fact they require two factor authentication. Their customer service used to be good and is still decent compared to ADP. Their system can be fully customized for reports and coding purposes. Their reporting is much better than ADP

Cons: Their support has gone down hill in the last year in addition to their pricing is about 20% higher than ADP on most items. Lacks an employee portal standard on all plans

• Reviewed on 14/01/2019
Rebecca S.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/01/2021

"Amazing Customer Service & Affordable"

Comments: Highly recommended company! Easy to work with and very affordable for a small business owner.

Pros: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is an amazing sales representative who also manages my account. He is unbelievable in his response time and ease to work with. The payroll management is very affordable.

Cons: I had a few glitches with miscommunication with someone servicing my account but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was there to instantly rectify the mistake.

• Reviewed on 05/01/2021
Adam J.
Campus Support Team Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2019

"Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve"

Comments: Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros: The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons: It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2019
Tiffany C.
Hospital Administrator
Veterinary, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/12/2020

"Just because it is a big company doesn't mean it is a good one!"

Comments: Overall, what we were sold on wasn't what we received. We also had some tax issues that they were unhelpful at resolving. The software needs work and should be connected in a way that lessens the work on the end-user instead of putting more work on them. This company stressed me out!

Pros: The sales team that helped us transition to Paychex was great. Processing payroll was easy, the reports we gathered were adequate, and they had the features that we wanted in an HR and Payroll Platform.

Cons: When we went to set up some of the HR functions they were links to another system. You would then have to re-enter team member information that was already in the system. The systems were hyperlinked together and two different platforms. This made for a lot of duplicate entries and a huge time waste. If I had more than 50+ team members it would have been a pain to setup.

• Reviewed on 28/12/2020
Peter S.
Accountant, Tax Preparer, IT consultant
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right"

Comments: Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros: Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons: One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want? Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Sarah R.
customer service rep
Information Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2019

"A little Wonky to Navigate"

Pros: It is convenient for small businesses and employees who work from home or don't have one check in location. It has some nice features for checking how many hours have been working if you are actually clocking in and out from the site itself. Once you actually figure things out and have your account set up, it's conveniently all right there in front of you to see what your sick time is, clock in/out, etc.
It keeps all your info from your previous jobs that have used the site PLUS holds your tax info conveniently for you, which is quite handy.

Cons: It's pretty difficult to navigate. A lot of the site doesn't really explain where to go or what to do so you kind of just have to poke around it until you figure things out. I guess it's kind of typical for sites like this. It's also kind of nightmare to get your log in info if you lose it, so just don't. You get locked out after 3 tries and then have to call the help desk and it turns into a pretty complicated ordeal. Conveniently though, the site log in remembers your info though. There is a LOT of maintenance, constantly and when you get messages in your inbox, they never seem to go away, but that's just nit-picky stuff that's not really important.

• Reviewed on 27/07/2019
Aline L.
Deputy Finance Director
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2019

"One-stop shop, but not very customizable"

Pros: It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere.
The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons: Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks.
it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it.
Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

• Reviewed on 03/10/2019
Eva S.
Operations Manager
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2016

"PREVIEW was a great payroll work horse. But beware, FLEX Payroll is no PREVIEW."

Comments: We've been on Paychex PREVIEW payroll software for 16 years. It was a solid no non-sense payroll processing work horse which came with everything you'd ever need to process payroll for 100+ employees in a very quick and efficient manner. PREVIEW software was extremely well designed and well thought out. The developers took the perspective of payroll processing users and provided all the navigation speed, functionalities and reports that we'd ever find useful or need to do our jobs quickly and efficiently. There were hardly any unnecessary clicks, keystrokes or scrolling to speak of. It exceeded my expectation all these years. Paychex's golden era and reputation as payroll processing leader was probably due to these sensible legacy products. Like all good things which must come to an end, we were switched to FLEX Q2 of 2016 because PREVIEW was so old that Paychex decided to sun set it this year - which was totally understandable. But any reasonable PREVIEW clients would also expect and assume that whatever good features, good functionalities and useful reports that were available and had been working well in PREVIEW would be brought over and be available in the new payroll product as well. Not so. Enters FLEX which Paychex touted as being technologically advanced, etc. It probably is. But as far as FLEX payroll processing features and functionalities are concerned, I am actually set back 16 years to a payroll processing product that seemed Beta, very slow, cumbersome, awkward - compared to PREVIEW. Paychex simply threw PREVIEW out the window and started fresh from scratch with FLEX. I spent my first several months on FLEX Payroll sending them suggestions to make FLEX "better". I don't know if anyone cared. FLEX Payroll screen designs and navigation are very slow, very cumbersome, and very awkward. What I considered "speed features" in PREVIEW were non-existent in FLEX. Fields are spread out as far apart as they can find room to spread them out to (instead of keeping the screen layouts compact) seemingly so as to "maximize" unnecessary clicks, scrolls and keystrokes as much as possible. It's also more cumbersome and time consuming just to get information and reports from FLEX Payroll which could be run quickly and easily before in PREVIEW. I felt like I'm using payroll software designed by inexperienced college graduates who had never processed payroll before in their lives. They're out to get as much of my time make me do as much work as possible for the same amount of work that I have to do as before - to see where my breaking point is. So overall, I'm not impressed. To me, if the basic payroll processing functionalities are less than before, FLEX Payroll will still be inadequate despite all other "great features and modules" they added to FLEX which I don't need.

Pros: Flex integration with Benefits Administration (Benetrac) module can make life a lot easier for some - but Beware - only if your group is 100+ enrolled. Our Paychex sales rep did make the claim that with Benetrac service, our medical insurance transactions "will all be automatic with carriers and we wouldn't have to do a thing" - which was totally not true. As it turned out, more carriers than not do not do EDI for groups (company) with < 100 enrolled. So the main FLEX selling point totally didn't even pan out for us. Please learn from our lesson. Do verify specifically that your medical and dental carriers will do EDI for your group before signing up for Benetrac.

Cons: Although FLEX does its job as payroll software, having been on a faster and more efficient product before, we know how much more time we are spending on this "more inefficient" product compared to before. Oh and please save yourself the headaches and trouble by passing on other Paychex's services. We tried Paychex Health Insurance and ACA filing. They both failed miserably. Same story in both cases. Can't get hold of the account rep and customer service rep. No one would answer or return our calls. Last year's ACA were 60% wrong after I've redone and resubmitted data 3 different times after 3 different CSR told me 3 different things. They were just making it up as they went. Very frustrating.

• Reviewed on 19/10/2016
Lead Web Developer / Designer
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2019

"Makes Employee's Lives Way Easier"

Comments: Easy to keep track of employees, vacation and benefits - all in one hub for employee information!

Pros: I can easily clock in and out of my Paychex account on any device - super convenient when on the road or working remote. I can also find my W2, tax and benefit information in one place which makes my life easier around tax refund season. I can easily punch in vacation time and forward it to my HR person.

Cons: Sometimes it doesn't register the clock in on the first try but selecting it twice will allow me to. The interface allows you to Break In and Clock out even if you never Clocked in which is odd, but HR can easily fix any mistakes.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2019
Adam W.
Warehouse Manager
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"Easy for the End User"

Comments: It made the mundane tasks of scheduling / approving time / correcting time / etc only take up half an hour at the end of each week.

Pros: Complete time management in one bundle. As an employee using the software, I could see my schedule / time off / and even access tax documents such as W2s online. As an administrator...setting schedules, correcting time punches, and seeing my workforce on any given day was a breeze.

Cons: The hardware associated with this software (we used biometric time clocks) were a pain to use at best and completely non-functional at best.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Diana H.
Recruiter
Online Media, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"Great Customer Service!"

Comments: Overall Paychex has provided us with a great payroll solution. They have a really strong customer service team. I think it would be great if they could add interactive help for FAQs that wouldn't require calling or chatting them. Otherwise I had a really top notch experience with the product.

Pros: We used this at my previous company and it turned out to be a great solution for us since we had offices in different states. It helps us keep track of payroll laws in different states and remain compliant. I also felt that their customer service team was always really responsive and easy to deal with. As a user, it's really convenient for me to be able to access and print my pay statements from anywhere.

Cons: Our company had some issues when we were first implementing the software but now everything runs perfectly. The UI is a bit outdated.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Angela H.
Manager of Deerfield Training Center
Mining & Metals
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2018

"Easy to use; report friendly; customized views"

Comments: User friendly and easy to manage for specific needs.

Pros: My favorite aspect of this software was the visability of all my employees on one screen. I could adjust time from same screen and double click to get into the detailed information about an employee. You could set up schedules and with the linking of the fingerprint clock it worked perfectly.

Cons: Manually change times unless you wanted the clock in and out times to be static otherwise you could create a behind the scene scenario for punches.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2018
Julie H.
HR Manager
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2019

"The Worst Payroll Company Out There!"

Comments: I have been running payroll and in HR for over 17 years so have used many payroll services and Paychex is the absolute WORST - can't wait to switch. Overpriced and you have to do everything yourself including coding their system. Nothing works right once you do (no notifications, biometric time clocks don't record punches, CA payroll laws like 7th day OT never coded) it's truly a complete joke of a company. "Account Manager" does not actually do anything but tell you to call the 877 customer service number and they are beyond ignorant and unhelpful.

Cons: Customer service - The worst
Assigned Account Manager - Does nothing but tell you to call Cust Service (see above)
Helpfulness - None
Expensive - YES
Knowledgeable - None
Compliant - Nope, set up CA payroll laws all wrong
Ease of system use - terrible, you need to coded everything yourself
Over selling - the best (how about fix your basic customer service and functionality before you continually try and up sell)

• Reviewed on 30/08/2019
Elisabeth B.
Infant Teacher
Individual & Family Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"Perfection!"

Comments: Love. Love. Love. I can't imagine using any other software in my everyday life at work.

Pros: I love PayChex! They make is easy to keep track of my paystubs, benefits, and PTO. I use paychex everyday to clock in and out and to make time off requests. It makes everything so simple.

Cons: I wish they wouldn't do maintenance on the site as often as they do. I do like that they let you know when the site is going to be down ahead of time but I wish it was less often.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020
Rebekah S.
Events Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2020

"Great payroll software but the cost adds up"

Comments: We never had an issue with Paychex. They are the best payroll company to work with. you are even assigned a personal rep. Whenever you need something I could call them and they would give me what I need ot would walk me through the program to do it myself.

Pros: Paychex Flex made it really easy to report payroll and generate reports. The whole process from inputting a new employees, calculating payroll totals and processing was made simple. The user interface is really easy to use and neat. There really isn't an easier way to process payroll

Cons: The only thing that eventually made us step away from Paychex after 4 years was the cost. Its more expensive than if your bank were to do it. They also charge for quarterly reports and annual reports. It just seemed to us that the fees kept going up and up.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2020
Jessica M.
Human Resources Administrator
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/03/2018

"Very user friendly software. The dashboard is easy to navigate to all aspects."

Pros: Everything is just a click or drop down menu away. A library of past reports, whether it be a W2, tax return, or check stub, are all available to you in the reports section. I work for a business that has several separate companies under one parent company. I have one login to gain access to all the reports I would ever need when an employee comes in with a concern. It is actually quicker to login and get what I need rather than thumbing through file cabinets.

Cons: Everything is internet server based..... no go around that. Having a business in a remote area, you don't always have the best internet connection. Every once in a while my system will hang while trying to download some larger reports.

• Reviewed on 23/03/2018
Gina C.
admin
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2018

"paychex review"

Pros: I like how paychex keeps track of all my vacation hours and how it sends reminders whenwe have to approve our time. its fairly easy to use.

Cons: I feel like paychex seems to run super slow on most days. It sometimes takes me 2 to 3 minutes or more to sign on and after i punch it takes extra time for it to allow me to save it. the slowness is my biggest issue.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2018
Vera B.
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2018

"Paychex is a good start for small businesses with little experience in payroll"

Comments: Our company is currently using Paychex Flex to process payroll, issues reports, and process paystubs for employees.

Pros: Paychex is affordable if using the basic features of operating payroll. The web features are simple and requires a two step log-in verification process for extra security.

Cons: Paychex caters to small business and may assigned you a local expert as your point-of-contact. Not all times this person may be available when needed. In addition, Paychex wants to ensure the product is used correctly... However, this may require needing permission to make changes to your payroll features such as changing dates, company info, and etc. Some people may enjoy the benefits of having extra security when logging in, but after a while it can delay things having to keep verifying yourself and your computer just because a change in IP on the network happens. Paychex also charge a premium on next-day processing for payroll.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2018
Aleesha R.
Customer Experience
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2018

"One of the best payroll services. If you are looking for convenience this is it!"

Pros: I love being able to have access to my payroll at anytime. Not only do you have access to your time sheet but you have access to your paycheck stubs, request time off, and tax information.

Cons: Paychex Flex tends to have a lot of bugs with the site. You can frequently get error messages, or the webpage times out. One of the worst experiences I have had with Paychex is the program not recognizing punches. Which can be detrimental for employee's whose metrics are based off of attendance.

• Reviewed on 14/08/2018
Lead Dispatcher
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2020

"Easy to use!"

Comments: Definitely happy with it and very useful! It's great to have the option to use the time card feature on my computer.

Pros: It's great to have so many features in one platform. Time clock, HR reviews, access to your hours for the week, sick time available and requests off. Its nice to have them all available to use.

Cons: Wish there was a feature where the app doesn't log you out after 30 minutes of no activity. Would be great if there was a option to change the timeout feature.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2020
Kelsey T.
Receptionist
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"Paychex is a great timecard solution"

Comments: It works great for our office!

Pros: It is easy to use, provides accuracy for employees, and has all the features that we would need for a time card solution. It makes the administrative work easier.

Cons: At times, if there is an error, it can be lengthy to fix and only an administrator can do so, the staff cannot correct them.

Ashley C.
Administrative Site Manager
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2018

"I use PayChex Flex to check my pay stubs and W-2 information."

Comments: The major benefit I get is keeping track of my money and knowing how much time off I have left. It's so easy to just look it up really quickly whenever I need it.

Pros: I really like that it keeps track of my pay stubs and most importantly, my time off. Because of the way time off is allocated at my company, sometimes I forget what I have available. And if I'm at home trying to plan a vacation, I can't always wait until I get to work to check with the Controller. Being able to log into PayChex makes it easy to check this information. I also know that in cases where proof of employment needs to shown, I can easily just pull up the information on my phone or computer.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2018
Robin S.
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2019

"Look no further"

Comments: Paychex Flex has been wonderful for my company needs. We are a small business, but Paychex is equipped to handle businesses of all sizes. Most notable is the quality of their Customer Support team. They have been extremely helpful and if not available when you call, they are very quick to return a call and help you find resolution to your questions.

Pros: PayChex Flex is amazing. It is a user-friendly, fully functional Payroll Management tool. It also offers broader features that could potentially eliminate needing multiple software programs so your company could streamline resources.

Cons: Honestly, there is nothing to not like about PayChex. The expense is reasonable for the excellent product and service they provide.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2019
Hospitality Sales & Event Coordinator
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"I use Paychex daily. Great tool for tracking hours."

Pros: I like that I am able to see hours worked in different aspects, whether it is regular hours, holiday hours, medical appointment or vacation time.

Cons: I do not like that sometimes it tells me I am missing a clock out when I clearly have one in. Sometimes it just errors out.

Darla S.
Human Resources Manager
Wholesale, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Great Product"

Pros: Paychex Flex has allowed us to streamline many processes of our payroll and human resources aspects of our business.

Cons: I would like to see Paychex Flex add a feature to help employees with a check calculator to know how their taxes would be affected by changing their W-4 form.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018