Filter by:

• Overall

About Aplos

Software designed for nonprofits and churches with fund accounting, contact management, giving tracking, reporting, and more.

Learn more about Aplos

Laura S.

From QuickBooks Online to Aplos

5 7 months ago

Comments: From the initial inquiry to day to day activities, the Aplos team has been a great support. They are quick to respond and guide us with the different features. Very refreshing!

Pros:

Aplos is easy to use and I appreciate the Fund Reports and the Budgeting Reports. Learning the software was very easy and there are a number of help topics to assist you. Today I ran into a snag and used the chat box and received an answer back very quickly. Aplos has always be very responsive to any inquires.

Cons:

It would be nice to have more reporting options. What is there is great, however it would be helpful to have some more analytical reports for number nerds like me. Also 1099 reporting.

Terry W.
Founder/Project Director in UK
Used the Software for: Not provided

Amazing Fund Accounting software for small to medium non-profits!

5 7 years ago

Comments: If you are busy with the stuff that your non-profit is about, and accounting for the organisation is a necessary dragon, then Aplos will be your knight in shining armor to slay it! Having implemented a number of other products for small organisations in the past (Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, MS Dynamics GP) I have to give the award for easiest, quickest & most readily accepted to Aplos. If you want to account for your Funds discretely (separate pots of income) then Aplos just works! Took about an hour to sign up and set up a sandbox (using the trial license) to represent the way my small organisation works - I uncovered a couple of desirable features for product development (see later) but within another 30 minutes I had reports and analysis that would do the job for us so much better than my grumpy accountant! - I showed the software to a user who, after a 5 minute demo, needed no more explanation and was able to enter transactions with multiple expense lines each separately analysed by fund. The user interface is clearly the 'killer' feature - it is so intuitive that I wonder why others didn't think of it (why didn't I think of it?). The transaction input process for most accounting products is the 'ugly baby' of the product - in Aplos it's the wonder child! Some caveats to bring this back to earth... a) The product is currently for the North American market - needs additional features to make it more readily accepted in UK/Europe:
1. Needs a parameterised currency symbol (we don't do dollars!) - but the easy export of reports allows replacement of currency symbol in Excel.
2. Online donations (a great feature!) require a US Bank Account
3. Needs Paypal integration
4. UK giving sites like justgiving.com are very common - integration needed
b) Many grant funders want a full budget before grant - we then need to account against the budget elements (e.g. £500 for travel + £5000 for salary). Aplos currently doesn't budget by Fund element (just at Fund level) but the Income Report provides a full breakdown by expense for each Fund (so allowing manual comparison). The free support provided by Aplos is responsive and helpful and I am assured that most of these features are on future development plans. I'm just going to go ahead and sign up for the paid version - I need this software so that I can get on with the purpose of our Charity!! Terry Wilcox
Project Director
In2Out
www.in2out.org.uk

Paul V.
Owner in US
Accounting Software, Self Employed

Perfect fit for Churches

5 3 months ago

Pros:

Written for churches by individuals from church/nonprofit world. Training webinars and videos are excellent. Customer service is quickly responsive. Best I have used in 30 years

Cons:

No obvious short comings. They are continuing to develop the product and partnering with other products integration

Robin P.

Intuitive Software and great support

5 10 months ago

Comments: We have a robust reporting for our church finances. Better than most I've seen and I think it is in most part due to the ability to talk through the needs with Aplos support and get the help on what functionality meets those needs.

Pros:

When I came on board as treasurer we were using the software inefficiently and not taking advantage of functionalities that would help us. I worked with the team asking questions about my needs and they translated those needs to functionality. Within a very short time I created funds and tracked financials that gave a much better picture of our finances.

Cons:

I was not around for implementation so I am unsure if the problems were the Aplos or GVC team related. Now I understand the software, it is critical to plan the uses than implement .

Sherry N.
Founder in US

Good Software for Beginning Nonprofits

3 3 years ago

Pros:

I like that everything is all together in one spot - donor software, accounting, newletters and online giving forms. I like how when someone gives online through your forms that it automatically incorporates into your accounting and saves info from the giver into your contacts. Their customer service and support is their beacon of light. Extreme strong point. It's almost as if you have nonprofit accountant on your staff to answer your questions. They answer you quickly, and their answers are always helpful. And often times they've logged in and completely helped me fix an issue. This is the best thing I love about them and something that makes them completely unique. This was a game changer for me as a brand new nonprofit and didn't know what I was doing. I can't say enough about this! This is what makes me recommend them to everyone I know that's a nonprofit leader.

Cons:

The newsletter email templates and online giving forms are very template-y and don't give you a lot of control. The final product can help you get information out, however it looks pretty amateurish, which in turn makes your nonprofit/your brand, look amateurish - which is more important than most people know. If Aplos could follow constant contact's lead on design formatting they would be top notch. The other thing I don't like is often I'm fundraising for events and have options for customers to pick (example : I want to buy tickets for an event and a tshirt for two people), or want them to be able to buy multiples of items and it really needs somewhat of a "cart" option for online giving forms. Third, I get lots of complaints from customers about the transaction errors which make it hard to give. I get this a lot. Which can hinder givers, often they won't go back again and give again when they get an email way later that the transaction didn't go through, so you lose donations. I've addressed this with them several times, but there hasn't been any resolution. I think it has to do with that the provider they use does a micro-transaction to the bank and then banks don't approve it.

Lisa B.
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

An excellent accounting program for Churches!

5 7 months ago

Pros:

I have been using Quickbooks for our church for many years. It does not handle funds accounting or tracking of giving very well. I was so happy to have found Aplos! It is a true funds accounting program and tracks giving seamlessly! It is a robust program that I believe excels where Quickbooks falls behind. I highly recommend it!

Cons:

No real cons so far. When members split their giving between multiple purposes, I'd like to be able to add them without having to add another row.

Office Manager in US

Efficient and Easy

5 3 years ago

Pros:

The software is easy to use and not too expensive. Minimal accounting or bookkeeping experience is needed.

Cons:

I saw the software worked great when our church was small. As it grew the amount of accounting required a program that could keep track of individual versus batch transactions.

Susan F.
Susan F.
Managing Director, Client Consulting Services in US
Financial Services Software, 2-10 Employees

Great for our small Condo Association

5 3 years ago

Comments: They are incredibly responsive, and when we initially set up the Accounts, they spent the time with me to help set us up based on our needs.

Pros:

Bank Integration is a huge benefit. As the Treasurer of a small condominium association (volunteer job), I only need to spend a couple of hours a month on our financials. Running reports for our condo meetings and taxes is a breeze.

Cons:

Its not completely made for condo association accounting, but we've been able to retrofit our needs. Funds doesn't exactly translate to the accounts we track, as we really do have 3 separate bank accounts. This requires an extra step in our monthly recons, but its not awful.

Jasmia S.
Administrative Assistant in US

Aplos Review

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall, Aplos has been great with improving the software and I can tell that they are really listening to feedback.

Pros:

It is very easy to use and saves us money from having our Accounting come on site weekly. The articles, tutorials, and staff are great.

Cons:

The Pledges feature does not have a lot effective reporting so we will not use it.

Mary G.
Founder in
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees

Great accounting software at an affordable priceI

5 4 years ago

Comments: Great buy for any non-profit.

Pros:

This accounting software has many features only found in more expensive packages. Very flexible reporting options. Easy to train set up and train staff.

Cons:

I have not found anything I couldn't do with Aplos that I wanted to do other than delete extra rows in a journal entry.

Richard B.
Executive Pastor in US
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees

3 Months with Aplos - AMAZING PRODUCT

5 3 months ago

Comments: Having a complex ministry required a product that could match our ministry model. Aplos has been fantastic from the very first interaction with sales to recently calling support. Every person is committed to the product and taking care of the customer. We could not have been more happier with the switch to Aplos. State of the art and exactly what we needed! This product is AMAZING!

Pros:

Super easy to use, the reports are clean and not cluttered, it gives you confidence that your accounting is spot on!

Cons:

Nothing. I have zero cons with using Aplos.

Mike H.
Business Manager in

Alpos Makes Fund Accounting Easy and Hassle Free

5 4 years ago

Comments: We switched to Aplos in February, the support as we transitioned was amazing.

Pros:

Web based, true fund accounting, great customer service, the reports are easy to read and understand, everything is real time.

Cons:

The only con I can think of is the reconciliation screen is not as customizable as I would have liked.

Michele S.
Office Manager in US

Very User Friendly!

5 5 years ago

Comments: Our non-profit began using Aplos from the beginning! We have appreciated the consistent customer support and openness to customer feedback. I love Aplos because it offers our non-profit a high-functioning, easy to use platform for someone life myself who does not have an accounting degree.

Pros:

Easy to use and very intuitive.

Kathy P.
Administrative Assistant in

Review from Faith Bible Church

5 5 years ago

Comments: I find this accounting program easy to understand and use. It is very easy to ask a question and I always get prompt replies.
They have been very good to deal with, listen to my questions and concerns and work to improve the program where needed.

Pros:

Easy transaction entries, I like the duplication of entry feature. Reconciliation is easy and fast. Great customer service It's easy to do a transaction search

Cons:

When integrating for each account, I have to keep making sure it's on the right account if I go from transaction to integration. It won't stay on the account I've been working on. When I enter an online payment it puts it in the check register and I can't remove it from the list.

Bev H.
Finance Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Very disappointing! Instead of trying to be all service system, they should focus on accounting.

2 4 years ago

Comments: Understanding flow of fund accounting.

Pros:

Nothing to say. Dashboard is nice, if the data is correct and updated. Report lists looks good if it functions.

Cons:

Ongoing problems, month after month, in many areas. Then the response time to get problems resolved is unacceptable and you are stuck in their hands until it works in their schedule. They have spent more time focusing on adding modules then on working the bugs out of what they already have. How disappointing. They could be a great fund accounting system if they didn't try to spread into areas they are not equipped in such as donor software. They develop updates and implement them without knowing how it could impact the user and the users data that is imported through an API. Just started with at at the beginning of 2017 and am already considering looking for another software.

Joseph Z.
Programs Manager in Zimbabwe

Aplos Review

4 last year

Comments: will give it a 7/10 for easy use and a not so expensive budget but the biggest proof the software is to be able to do most of the accounting jobs in one software and even a person with low accounting knowledge can easily decode the information on the software

Pros:

-easy to use and setup -offers the project management and budget setup which is crucial for my office -its an all in one package that allows any organization to fulfill their accounting needs in one place

Cons:

the lack of social media management and it does not integrate well with some of our fundraising softwarew

Melissa W.
Administrative Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees

Aplos is a great software and easy to use

5 4 years ago

Pros:

It's easy to use and they have great customer service. They are quick to respond to us and take our suggestions seriously.

Cons:

There are a few features that are a little clunky and could use some updating to make it easier to navigate.

Janet W.
Office Manager in
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

Easy to use accounting software for small churches...

4 5 years ago

Comments: I am happy with the ease of use for this accounting software. Our biggest complaint has been in the area of reporting. It is difficult to get the report info needed for our accountants. For some of the reports I have to export the data and manipulate it in excel to get Debit and Credit Columns on reports that would usually have that info. But, it is inexpensive and keeps the records accurately. So on a whole we are happy.

Pros:

Ease of use

Cons:

Reporting is not very detailed You can not manipulate the reports to get info you need

Darlene W.
Bookkeeper in US

Aplos is easy to use!

5 7 months ago

Pros:

The product is very easy to use and the customer service is five star.

Cons:

That you can't do batch fixes/changes in an account.

Tyan H.
Development Manager in
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

We are so pleased to find such a user-friendly, all encompasing donor and accounting database!

5 4 years ago

Comments: We recommend it to everyone in nonprofit!

Pros:

Very intuitive function and unlimited free technical support. Aplos includes everything you need, from donor and volunteer communications to bank deposit batches and 990s. We love the functionality!

Cons:

We love it! We don't have any complaints at this point. It would be nice to be able to synch it with other programs like Pay Pal, but not a big deal!

Jimmy S.
Finance in US

Use Aplos to Manage Church Finances

4 4 years ago

Pros:

It integrates donation management with accounting so I'm not having to use two systems. It's built specifically for non-profits.

Cons:

I greatly dislike that I cannot have a desktop version because doing accounting transactions in a web-based portal means you have to be online and you need to prepare for each transaction to take a second to load. And they charge a premium to be able to access some functions that feel as basic as what is included in QuickBooks software.

Contribution Manager in US
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees

Good but would like a few features

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, Aplos met our needs. We needed an accounting system that was easy to use and available online. It could have been even better if there were different role options.

Pros:

It is easy to use and understand. Budgeting was a useful feature and transferring between various accounts was easy.

Cons:

no different user profiles to help with internal controls. As the accountant, my role was to do the Bank recs to verify the treasurer. BUT I was able to make entries and the treasurer could do the bank recs.

Mary G.
Founder in
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees

Aplos is great!

5 5 years ago

Comments: Very happy with my purchase of Aplos Find Accounting software.

Pros:

Tons of features Easy to use for both accountants and non-accountants. Excellent price. Great support and customer service

Cons:

None that I can find so far

Chris W.
Treasurer in UK
Civic & Social Organization

Easy to use fund accounting

Pros:

Although this is a fully featured double-entry bookkeeping system, it is very easy for non-accountants to understand and use. It mostly avoids technical accounting terminology at both the input and reporting stages. The ability to link directly to a bank account saves a lot of time and makes bank reconciliation a breeze. This software is particularly useful to organisations who need to keep track of a number of different "funds". The support team respond quickly to any queries.

Cons:

I would like more flexibility in reporting, in particular the ability to customize the layout of printed reports.

Videographer in US
Accounting Software, 51-200 Employees

Accounting for any Church

4 2 years ago

Pros:

I appreciate how easy it is to navigate the interface.

Cons:

I wish the graphs in the software's dashboard cam with richer customizations.