Spiceworks Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall
  • Customer Service Software

About Spiceworks

Download free IT help desk software for IT pros & sysadmins around the world in all businesses. Support & mobile apps also free.

Learn more about Spiceworks

Robert R.
Robert R.
Systems Administrator
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2021

"Ideal free helpdesk for small to medium businesses"

Comments: Overall I have been very happy with Spiceworks, especially the community of users.

Pros: It's impossible to beat the cost of free. The product is well designed and functions extremely well for the job it is designed for.

Cons: Larger IT departments won't be able to route tickets to specific teams. It would be very nice if spiceworks could expand its offering to include sub service desks etc.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2021
Nathan C.
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/06/2021

"GREAT SOFTWARE"

Comments: Solving the task of keeping track of scheduled projects and tickets that work with multiple users and administrators.

Pros: Okay, I'll start out with my favorite parts of this software, it's fantastic for managing work load and keeping up with projects. I use it regularly for IT work and it handles tasks very well. Favorite feature: Emailing ticket in, great feature.

Cons: I think the main part I least like about this is the reporting part of the ticketing section, that could probably use more additional features. It's a bit limited.

• Reviewed on 30/06/2021
Victor A.
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/06/2018

"Spiceworks a great Help Desk suite with AiO preset that'll transform IT units into Rockstars!"

Comments: I would recommend Spiceworks since can give you details that some other apps might be skipping out just like agent-less scanning that provides complete system details, including things like license keys for Microsoft software and toner levels on printers, the ability to manage Active Directory users and policies.
For sure the Purchasing tracking system will give you a hand to develop the IT Budget and track down your top ten assets requirements.

Pros: The ticketing system works great you can set categories and customize the SLA's at your convenience and with the reporting tool you can build your own Ticket time tracking charts and accomplishment report of tickets assigned and complete that works great for newly IT departments that want to leverage their support standards. It includes a user portal so people can keep track of their tickets but also allows tickets creation/update via email which makes things so simple for the end user you can customize this portal with the company logo and preset the auto response message using HTML code.
We have been using the inventory feature which is really robust gives plenty details about the IT assets and their warranties. You can set networks scans and Spiceworks will give you very detailed information about everything on your network.

Cons: Spiceworks software network management needs a lot of the time it is discovering items that you have no interest in managing remotely and yet it keeps finding stuff and bringing it to your attention. The ability to manually add inventory items gets overlapped for the constant network scanning.
Spiceworks could open up their code a bit more. Since some specific needs that wouldn't be difficult to integrate/allow but that aren't done with the OpenSource collaboration to add more features and solve the lack of some specific UX desirable features.

Omar G.
IT Server Administrator
Plastics, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2019

"Excellent Help Desk, Easy To Implement"

Comments: We needed a help desk that was not only to record computer problems, but we also wanted to help us have greater visibility of the IT environment, computers that fail more, more common failures in the equipment and take advantage of that information to improve. Is very easy to implement, has integration with active directory and the visibility it gives you of the IT environment. The web site has a very complete guide for its installation and deployment. The tool goes beyond a simple help desk as you can have there Your inventory of equipment (hardware and software) and for example uninstall applications from the help desk.

Pros: It is a very complete help desk allows you to have a great visibility of what is happening with the statistics of category breakdown, work by engineer, attention time, etc.. In addition you can create an internal knowledge base, allows you to have your inventory of equipment, reports, purchase records associated with a ticket, etc.. It is very easy to use for the end user because he only has to send a mail to a specific email address and his ticket is registered in the system. It is very stable and reliable.

Cons: It takes time to adjust it to your needs, but it has a great forum where everyone helps you.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2019
Dustin S.
Dustin S.
Superintendent of Information Technology
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2018

"Great for a free helpdesk, but the community is where it shines"

Pros: First off, nobody has ever complained about free. Spiceworks itself does what it is meant to do -- it provides a simple helpdesk for you and your users, with basic features you'd expect from a support system. It's full of little things, like a built-in knowledge base, built-in remote support, integrations with other tools, etc. The real value in Spiceworks though is it's community; it's like Experts Exchange on steroids. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and vendors have direct representation in the forums to help you with both sales and support questions. It rarely feels like anyone is trying to sell you anything in Spiceworks' community, but at the end of the day you end up buying from some vendors *because* of how they treat you there. It's incredible.

Cons: Inventory... inventory is not good. If you don't get it set up perfectly the first time, you might as well turn it off and forget about it. There's still no really good way to handle historical data and devices you no longer control.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2018
Aaron R.
IT Support
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/06/2018

"Spiceworks Help Desk is very user friendly and is a great cost effective ticketing system."

Comments: A cost effective IT HelpDesk ticketing system, that allows our business to track issues, increase productivity and keep track of our IT inventory.

Pros: Very easy to use and the initial setup and normal operation is user friendly enough to where even a novice user could get it working for their needs. When it comes to Help Desk software, you can't beat the low price of FREE! There is a large pool of add-ons and user created plugins that will fill in the blanks to add additional functionality. If you get stuck on an issue while using Spiceworks Help Desk, the official email support and user forums are very helpful. Helps you keep track of inventory. Overall if you are looking for a cost effective HelpDesk ticketing solution for a small/medium business, you can't go wrong here.

Cons: Users have reported that on very large networks the initial network scan can take days to complete. Official support is limited to email or user forums. You can't hire an expert through Spiceworks to help set up or configure Spiceworks Help Desk to meet your needs. It is up to you to figure it out.

Richard W.
IT Mgr
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2017

"Free, Reliable and Easy to use Helpdesk"

Comments: Easy, Reliable and Free Helpdesk Software

Pros: We love Spiceworks Helpdesk. It is so easy to use, feature rich, and reliable. It allows our user to submit a helpdesk via e-mail or by using our spiceworks helpdesk portal. We have multiple technicians and departments, so once a ticket comes in it can be assigned to a certain technician or department automatically based on rules we assign. Certain technicians can see all tickets while others can only see their own, which is good for security and privacy issues. You can add notes and attachments to tickets and also add KB article or replies you post frequently so you don't have to retype common replies or solutions over and over again.

Cons: Sometimes it will run into an issue where the spiceworks page will be down but usually it is easy to resolve or a quick reboot will fix it.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2017
System admin
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2020

"IT HELP DESK."

Comments: I highly enjoyed using this product and now with the other clients I manage with large office staffs we are also moving to this system.

Pros: I used this ticket system when I was apart of a IT team that setup a new casino network, software, servers and etc. I started with this software and a IT Tech user and handling my tickets. This software helped me do my job more effectively. I handled my tickets and assets in one location. It allows you to keep track of which user gets which device and I used the assets by mac address. Which in the end saved me a lot of time and frustration. Other techs didn't use the asset the same way so tracking down your devices after deployment is a nightmare. Even from the end user traning was a lot easier to handle because how easy this software is to use.

Cons: I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a setup issue. But when a user sends a email it would not auto fill in the info for the level of urgency.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2020
Daniel B.
Daniel B.
Director of Communications and Information Technology
Law Enforcement Software, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2019

"It's great, setup is a pain"

Comments: We used to rely on word of mouth or emails that would generally get lost. I am now able to keep track of all user submitted tickets to see where my staff is and ensure that things get completed. It also makes it much easier for users to report an issue. Previously users were discouraged from reporting technical issues because there was no guarantee the issue would ever be addressed. We now have accountability.

Pros: Extremely easy to use as a user and an administrator. Users simply send an email to a pre-defined email address ([email protected]) and a e-ticket is automatically generated. My IT staff receives notifications via email as well as the mobile app. IT Staff is able to assign tickets, respond to users, set categories, etc. very easily. Best of all, it's FREE.

Cons: Set up was very difficult. It took us a few attempts to get it working. But once it was up and running, it keeps on going.

• Reviewed on 24/04/2019
IT Administrator
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/01/2019

"Great Helpdesk product and it's FREE!!!!"

Comments: I have had an overall great experience with this product. I have used it at two different jobs over the last 10+ years and it has always stayed free and always gotten better.

Pros: The fact that it is 100% free is amazing. Secondly, it is very easy to setup, maintain and to use. It solves all of our needs for documenting our work via a ticketing system. Its reliable and also the Spicework Community is a great resource for answering technical questions. We actually use two installations of this: one for the IT team to document their work and also one for our Maintenance department to document maintenance requests and tickets and it works great.

Cons: The software is not perfect and sometimes locks up or stops working and must be restarted. Other than that, I have no complaints.

• Reviewed on 08/01/2019
Susan I.
Legal Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2021

"Bets product I never paid for"

Comments: Great version we are using. Free. Since inception. They have Spicework communities too that can assist with subject you may get stuck on. Great great tool

Pros: I have been using this product for a good 14 years. Our use has been waning as we have integrated a ticket system into our Case management system. However this is has been a beast of a program. Reliable and easy for the end user to submit a ticket and easy for the tech team to review and resolve.

Cons: There really isn't too much I didn't like about this software. Maybe the worst flaw is that there is not much follow up from the program side--(although if there is I haven't found it)).

• Reviewed on 11/02/2021
Gary W.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/04/2019

"Spiceworks...it's free!"

Comments: Overall, it's a decent product to use and easy to setup.

Pros: If you are looking for a basic helpdesk and network monitoring tool, this would be it. It's a free package that groups can use to help with ticketing, inventory, and server and network monitoring. They have several modules that make all this possible. It's very easy to setup and can be integrated with your local active directory.

Cons: The ads. I don't like seeing the ads when I login to the portal. Other than the ads, this is a great product. But, again, that's why it's free. The ads pay for it. I would be willing to pay a small fee to use it in order to avoid the ads.

• Reviewed on 14/04/2019
Dan C.
Receptionist
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2015

"Spiceworks Changed How I communicate"

Pros: My favorite part of Spiceworks is how user-friendly it is. As an individual with an average knowledge of technology, I have found that Spiceworks makes it easy for me find answers to questions that I have about different software or hardware. Another part of the website that I like is how much of a community it is. After a while, you notice familiar users posting on the various threads. I see the community focus as being a huge asset to Spiceworks since you get to know the people who are repeatedly writing on the site.

Cons: I have been frustrated at my job as an administrative assistant for a technology company when using the helpdesk portion of the software. At times it was slow and would easily freeze up. This could be maddening at times because of how much I needed to work through our tickets to see what work had been completed.

• Reviewed on 17/06/2015
Neal J.
Neal J.
Practice Leader
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2019

"Excellent Value for Money"

Comments: I loved this as a startup MSP and i used it for many many years. The inventory control was an awesome add on as well as the help desk. Unfortunately, as we transition to the cloud from on site servers for my local users, many of the features are lost and we had to look at all of our options.

Pros: This is an extremely full featured monitoring software with great helpdesk and inventory support. Technical support is extremely responsive and the community is amazing

Cons: Hard to create a concentrated help desk, wanted to pull several reporting sessions together but would have lost history and much funcationality

• Reviewed on 05/12/2019
James B.
Systems Engineer
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2018

"Excellent helpdesk ticketing product"

Comments: The IT helpdesk was already licensed by the client, so we used it while contracted by them, but I haven't used it since.

Pros: This helped us quite a bit in keeping track of tickets for one large client we had for a few years. The interface was easy for helpdesk technicians, as well as the end users. I liked the automatic inventory feature.

Cons: There wasn't anything I really disliked about Spiceworks Helpdesk. I would like to use it in our current situation, but find it hard to fit. We don't have that many contract clients anymore, and email works just fine at the moment.

• Reviewed on 14/11/2018
Kelly H.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 29/06/2015

"Best IT Helpdesk Solution on the Market! Plus it's free!"

Pros: I like that Spiceworks is free, the product is easy to use and the apps are great. I have used other products in the past, like Track-it and Helpdesk Authority. While I really liked those products, they were more expensive than Spiceworks, since it is FREE! We also use the product in our maintenance department as their work order system, so that was an added bonus.

Cons: That they force you to update the software. I can see why they do that, it makes sense, but it does put the fire under you to do the updates. They do post a notification on the screen to tell you how many days the update will take place in.

• Reviewed on 29/06/2015
George R.
George R.
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2018

"Free Help Desk software that actually fits the bill!"

Pros: Easy to setup (cloud or on-premise versions). I was also able to copy the configuration from an onsite installation to a cloud installation. Tickets are easy to manage, and we can keep track of what work we've done on various assets. User management is also easy, though we don't use it much.

Cons: I don't think there is anything I dislike about it. Since we only use it to generate our own tickets for the IT team to communicate about what needs to get done, I don't have any user complaints.

• Reviewed on 28/07/2018
Ben M.
Network & IT Systems Manager
Banking, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2020

"Great product for a small team"

Comments: Been used within the IT department for years and hard to justify paying for an alternate when this meets needs. But if you are looking for a solutions for a larger team or multi department this may not be ideal.

Pros: For a free product this is quite good for a small team that doesn't need bells and whistles within their service desk software. Easy to setup and use.

Cons: Functionality is lacking compared to other software's in the market, however as it's free this is understandable.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2020
Drew L.
Drew L.
IT Administrator
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2018

"A good solution for IT Help Desk"

Comments: Used Spiceworks for just over a year before moving to a different solution. If we were a smaller environment I'd have stuck with it 100%. The community around Spiceworks is really the secret sauce that makes it work. Small-Medium business should absolutely have this in their list of contenders when it comes to helpdesk management and documentation software for entry level.

Pros: Extremely involved community. Lots of experts. Local server client with some cloud capabilities. Excellent forums. Good documentation features. Good price point.

Cons: Lacks some features that other "big boy" helpdesk software might have, like integrated remoting. Discovery tool is a bit obstuse and not very useful.

• Reviewed on 09/08/2018
Manager of Content and Online Services
Financial Services Software, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2018

"Handling Multiple Priorities"

Pros: Spiceworks functions as my to-do list, and allows me to reprioritize throughout my day as tickets come in to the system. The reporting is helpful and allows me to identify trends. It's easy to communicate with ticket creators, ask questions, and organize any supporting documentation.

Cons: Currently have an issue with due dates not populating, but this is something the administrator should be able to fix.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2018
Chief Information Officer
Machinery, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2018

"We use this product for our technical support."

Comments: It is a free product, you can't complaint when it is free.

Pros: This product is easy to use and managed. It doesn't take much time to implement this product. It has many packaged included like network device inventory, locate devices, alerts and asset location tracking.

Cons: Their help desk feature tends to be quirky for end users. Knowledge in SQL to get special reports. Load limitation for larger companies.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2018
Gary B.
System Administrator
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2018

"One of the best all-in-one IT solutions available"

Comments: I believe in Spiceworks. I have been to every Spiceworld conference in their home city of Austin, Texas. I have watched them grow from a few employees to over a hundred.

Pros: I have used Spiceworks for over 11 years. I mainly use it for the outstanding help desk. My users are able to easily submit their issues and I can keep them updated on the status.

Cons: I have trouble with the inventory feature.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2018
Matt M.
IT Support Specialist
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2019

"Spiceworks works to make your life easier"

Comments: This is a software that I have in use and check in with every day. If you're an admin working in a small to medium business, definitely look at this software to see how it can fit into your environment. Everyone loves free.

Pros: Spiceworks network monitor is incredibly easy to get up and running, and provides you with real time notifications about the most vital information you could need to know about your systems at any given time,

Cons: I don't have any complaints about this software, I think that Spiceworks provides an incredible value for for what you're getting.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2019
Gihan N.
Gihan N.
IT Officer
Banking, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2021

"Spiceworks"

Comments: Overall this is a very good asset management solution for use any kind of business without a headache.

Pros: This was a really good solution for use as an inventory system, asset tagging also is really helpful, the dashboard also really good and well organized. currently, my company also using this tool due to its user-friendly design and ease of implementation. and the reporting also in good level we can identify assets really easy using this tool.

Cons: still, I didn't notice any failures of this software.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2021
Carlo P.
IT Technician
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"Quite possibly the best free ticketing system for any Service Desk"

Comments: Overall a very happy experience, thus our reasoning for deploying this to many of our clients sites.

Pros: Spiceworks is extremely easy to use, not only for a Service Desk but for the end user as well. Also offers great free reporting.

Cons: It does lack some features that you get from a paid alternative such as Autotask,, things such as integrating into an RMM system.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019